Oktoberfest

plunk

If I'm not mistaken, I believe we're smack in the middle of Oktoberfest. What are you eating and drinking to celebrate? Have you seen any interesting German beers available in local restaurants/bars/stores? I'm looking for some beer to go along with my brats and sauerkraut...

I have tasted the following Oktoberfest offerings this year, so far: Hacker-Pschorr, Weihenstephaner, Dominion, Brooklyn, Bell's, Hofbrau, Paulaner, Gordon Biersch, Sweetwater Tavern, Spaten. Have not tasted Ayinger yet, which really kinda means I'm not an authority yet.

Best in show: Bell's

Recommended: Paulaner, Brooklyn, Spaten

Not recommended: Weihenstephaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbrau (though they aren't bad beers), Gordon Biersch, Dominion (more bad)

Bad: Sweetwater Tavern

I have tasted the following Oktoberfest offerings this year, so far: Hacker-Pschorr, Weihenstephaner, Dominion, Brooklyn, Bell's, Hofbrau, Paulaner, Gordon Biersch, Sweetwater Tavern, Spaten. Have not tasted Ayinger yet, which really kinda means I'm not an authority yet.

Best in show: Bell's

Recommended: Paulaner, Brooklyn, Spaten

Not recommended: Weihenstephaner, Hacker-Pschorr (though they aren't bad beers), Gordon Biersch (more bad)

Bad: Sweetwater Tavern

Having tasted all of the aforementioned, I unequivocaly concur. Also in the recommended category: Weyerbacher.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe we're smack in the middle of Oktoberfest. What are you eating and drinking to celebrate? Have you seen any interesting German beers available in local restaurants/bars/stores? I'm looking for some beer to go along with my brats and sauerkraut...
The traditional DC restaurant for Ockoberfest is Old Europe just below Calvert on Wisconsin Avenue.

Also don't forget Rustico's 2nd annual "Don't Hassel the Hof" Brau Fest on October 16.

This was a great time last year. I think we came home with 5 or 6 liter steins; it was $6-7 for Hofbrau's Fest or Dunkel with a new stein every time :blink:. And fer chrissakes, take a cab!

Not recommended: Weihenstephaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbrau (though they aren't bad beers), Gordon Biersch, Dominion (more bad)

I had fun pouring (and legally tasting, per VABC rules) the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest lager at the Shirlington Cap City Oktoberfest today. I hate to disagree with Jake, but I really enjoyed this little lager. At 5.8% alcohol content, it's pretty light and right for me, with a crisp, refreshing, semi-fruity, not hoppy, sort of malt finish. Quite a number of people came back to this tent for seconds, partially because there was not much of a line compared to a more popular brewery like Southern Tier or Rogue or Abita but many said that they liked the taste and some of those who just returned from the Munich Oktoberfest had it there and liked it.

Perhaps it's time to reconsider?

Had a chance to try a lot of them this year.

Best: Ayinger

Good (in rough descending order of preference): Paulaner, Victory Festbier, Flying Dog, Brooklyn, Bell's, Hacker Pschorr, Harpoon, Spaten

Not Good: Great Lakes (too heavy, and not in a good way), Hofbrauhaus (odd... more of a pilsner), Star Hill Festie (blecch!)

Really like some of the harvest/fall ales too: Southern Tier Harvest, Goose Island Harvest, Sierra Nevada Tumbler

I was at Oktoberfest a couple of years ago. Only went to the Spaten tent, but we were definitely drinking Marzen, not Pilsner.

They don't serve Pilsner, but the Weisn beer is much lighter than most "Oktoberfest" you get here, even the German stuff (the Weisn version is not even remotely brown). The few times I was in Munich for Oktoberfest, I recall being generally happy about this after the fifth liter or so. Or perhaps I was just generally happy.

They don't serve Pilsner, but the Weisn beer is much lighter than most "Oktoberfest" you get here, even the German stuff (the Weisn version is not even remotely brown). The few times I was in Munich for Oktoberfest, I recall being generally happy about this after the fifth liter or so. Or perhaps I was just generally happy.

Interesting. I seem to remember the beer being copper colored, but I must have been drinking this Weisn beer (and a lot of it)-- never heard of it before.

Interesting. I seem to remember the beer being copper colored, but I must have been drinking this Weisn beer (and a lot of it)-- never heard of it before.

I had thought about commenting previously, but some of the most traditional Oktoberfest beers emanating from (and served in) Germany, are not what we know of here as marzen style, and do skew toward a drier, less sweet, style that can resemble a lightly hopped pils. I think that this may account for the above review from 2007:

Not recommended: Weihenstephaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbrau (though they aren't bad beers), ...

All of those are in the more traditional style, and are quite good, but are not the copper-colored marzens that have come to connote Oktoberfest style beers in the US.