Blue Ridge Dairy

Paul Stephan from Blue Ridge Dairy recently obtained a butter churn from some woman in Canada. He's been playing with it and trying to perfect some cultured butter that he insists will be available next week at the Dupont Market. I can't wait to try it. I used to love the butter from McLoed Creamery when they used to be there.

His applewood smoked mozzarella, by the way, goes FANTASTIC with sauteed mushrooms and shallots. I put that combination on pizza, on polenta, and on a slice of baguette. Wow.

Paul Stephan from Blue Ridge Dairy recently obtained a butter churn from some woman in Canada.  He's been playing with it and trying to perfect some cultured butter that he insists will be available next week at the Dupont Market.

The butter has been a no show for a variety of reasons....but Paul made a special point of noting that NEXT week the butter will be there. He used the words "come hell or high water" so I figure he's getting serious now. Not that I've made butter before, but for those in the know he says it'll ferment for 24 hours at 72 degrees before churning. And he plans to sell it at a price lower than anyone else's butter at the market.

There's also a new pork provider at the market, Cedarbrook Farm. I like their bacon. Light cure/smoke. They'll be there just through the winter. I think they service other markets with their pork at other times of year. :lol:

Yesterday at the Dupont market, I bought some of the Applewood Smoked Mozzarella from the cheese guy that's close to Q street. Wow, is that cheese ever smokey. A little too potent to eat by itself for me, it might work nicely in something like a smoked mozzarella ravioli.

Yesterday at the Dupont market, I bought some of the Applewood Smoked Mozzarella from the cheese guy that's close to Q street.  Wow, is that cheese ever smokey.    A little too potent to eat by itself for me, it might work nicely in something like a smoked mozzarella ravioli.

You got that right! It does do well on a pizza or in small quantities.

Yesterday at the Dupont market, I bought some of the Applewood Smoked Mozzarella from the cheese guy that's close to Q street.  Wow, is that cheese ever smokey.    A little too potent to eat by itself for me, it might work nicely in something like a smoked mozzarella ravioli.

Wait until tomato season--I make an amazing BLT with thin slices of that smoked mozzarella. Yum!

Wait until tomato season--I make an amazing BLT with thin slices of that smoked mozzarella.  Yum!

I made a little tapa with the smoked mozz, putting it on a toasted baguette slice with piquillo peppers and some olive oil and sherry vinegar. I enjoyed the cheese much more this way.

I made a little tapa with the smoked mozz, putting it on a toasted baguette slice with piquillo peppers and some olive oil and sherry vinegar.  I enjoyed the cheese much more this way.

That sounds great. I've also used that mozz on tiny pizzas, mixed with some non-smoked cheese, sauteed spinach and nicoise olives.

Blue Ridge is only wholesaling their mozzarella at this time.

They have been selling it at the farmers market at Dupont Circle, though the market assistant (who also works at Blue Ridge) said that his coolers were stocked w only 17 containers this past Sunday and they ran out too quickly. I got the impression he thought this was an oversight.

ETA: Just read the preceding posts which I see are about Blue Ridge's burrata. N.B. it's not a true burrata since the mozzarella encases ricotta, i.e. a curdy vs. creamy center. I haven't seen the burrata at the farmer's market for quite some time. Once the water buffalos at BR start producing enough milk to market their cheeses, perhaps this will change.

According to the newsletter, Blue Ridge Dairy will have buffalo mozzarella at Dupont this Sunday.

It's been five years coming! According to one of the guys at the dairy, the beasts are not easy to control. Herd mentality dictates that once one of them strays or deviates from the path you want the group to take, they all do. And those are big horns!