Pupatella, a Local Neapolitan Pizza Chain Undergoing Expansion

1 hour ago, TSchaad said:

Neapolitan pizzeria Pupatella, the which was a popular food truck before opening its acclaimed bricks-and-mortar location in Bluemont in 2010, is opening a second Arlington location in the restaurant “Bermuda Triangle” at 1621 S. Walter Reed Drive. The opening is planned for this summer.

This is currently an Ethiopian restaurant called Lalibella. I've driven past it many, many times, and have never seen anyone in it - I guess it has been abandoned now for quite awhile. Pupatella will be *more* than welcome here, and will do a brisk business in restaurant-starved South Arlington, both for carryout and dine-in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, plarkins said:

Excited for the Reston location as well. The Reston/Herndon area is a pizza desert. I think they'll do well at that location

Just adding to the post above for more info - Pupatella Pizzeria is Coming to Reston Next Year by Fatimah Wassem, RestonNow

Taking over the current location of Pizza Hut at the corner of Wiehle Avenue and the W&OD - directly across from the fire station and adjacent to the McDonalds and TacoBell.  This will be an interesting location for outdoor seating.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, DonRocks said:

This is currently an Ethiopian restaurant called Lalibella. I've driven past it many, many times, and have never seen anyone in it - I guess it has been abandoned now for quite awhile. Pupatella will be *more* than welcome here, and will do a brisk business in restaurant-starved South Arlington, both for carryout and dine-in.

It was once a Pho place. Didn't last long either. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, DonRocks said:

Seen on my walk today...

B35D9785-C190-419C-AEDC-E4D068DE1078.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Are you sure you love Pupatella, or do you love Enzo Algarme? I fear that, for me, it's the latter - we'll find out soon enough.

I remember in the early days, the store wasn't open if Enzo wasn't at the oven. That's long since changed, so I'm hoping that he has his process established enough to train others to replicate his pies.

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Are you sure you love Pupatella, or do you love Enzo Algarme? I fear that, for me, it's the latter - we'll find out soon enough.

LOL good point. We will definitely find out. But even if Reston Pupatella is 80% of Arlington Pupatella, that's about 100% better than Reston Pizza Hut. 😃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DanielK said:

I remember in the early days, the store wasn't open if Enzo wasn't at the oven. That's long since changed, so I'm hoping that he has his process established enough to train others to replicate his pies.

I don't mean to be a rabble-rouser, but even the original Pupatella is nowhere near what it used to be in quality - there was a time when it was the best pizza in the area; that time has passed.

I second Don's opinion.  Pupatella is not what it used be back when it came on the Arlington scene and, at least for me, there is no compelling reason to return these days.  I am happy for the prospect of its new backers realizing - potentially - success in aggressively expanding.  But I wonder if Enzo et al along with quality control will be stretched as multiple stores open. 

Plenty of alternatives now offer excellent pizza in NOVA.

Maybe I'm too much of a pizzaholic to know when a pizzeria has gone downhill.  I've been to Pupatella's several times in the past year and it has always been good.  Do you find the crust too soggy or not soggy enough? The toppings not delicious?  I usually get the same pie all the time:  Clasico DOC with Greek olives.

• Like 1

I’m also curious here - end up at Pupatella every few months for years and still greatly enjoy it (I can’t say whether I’ve seen any small drops in quality as that’s hard to judge, but I greatly enjoyed it then and greatly enjoy it now). Perhaps a tad less consistent, but still great. I typically go on Friday evenings or Sunday for lunch, so maybe a function of going at high volume times. 

More importantly - I’m curious what folks consider better in northern VA. If there’s better pizza out there, I want to be eating it! I would also put Pizza CS and Inferno at least at same level if not higher than Pupatella, but have not found anything I like better in VA. While I know Pizzeria Orso is popular, I’ve always found them to be solid, but not great, and ditto for Crust in Tyson’s. I have not tried the new Turo Ballston yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arldiner said:

More importantly - I’m curious what folks consider better in northern VA. If there’s better pizza out there, I want to be eating it! I would also put Pizza CS and Inferno at least at same level if not higher than Pupatella, but have not found anything I like better in VA. While I know Pizzeria Orso is popular, I’ve always found them to be solid, but not great, and ditto for Crust in Tyson’s. I have not tried the new Turo Ballston yet. 

I'm pretty much with arldiner - if there's better NoVa pizza than Pupatella, I'd like to know.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, Bob Wells said:

How would you folks rate Ciao in Centreville? I'm always thinking I need to take my family there more. We've always enjoyed their pizza and other dishes. The place is generally packed.

I made a special trip out there a few weeks ago for lunch.  Service was great, food was great and the owner stopped by to welcome us and make sure we enjoyed everything.  It is a small-town, independently-owned restaurant in suburbia - that does what they do well.  From their Caesar salad to pizza and pasta dishes they are all decent.  The opened a Gelato place next door, but whenever I visit Ciao, after salad and an entree, I do not have room for gelato.  And yes the place is always very busy.

• Like 3

On 12/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, DonRocks said:

Pupatella South Arlington is having their final inspection tomorrow, and if all goes well, it should open sometime this week.

I believe it will be open for business either 12/18 or 12/19.   Enzo will be training all the new Pizziolo's (or however they are described.).  Besides Reston I believe they have signed leases in Dupont Circle and Mosaic and possibly one other location.

4 hours ago, DaveO said:

I believe it will be open for business either 12/18 or 12/19.   Enzo will be training all the new Pizziolo's (or however they are described.).  Besides Reston I believe they have signed leases in Dupont Circle and Mosaic and possibly one other location.

I've heard (without substantiation, so don't rely on this) that they're open tomorrow at 11. Let me emphasize: This information was on a ListServ, and relayed to me.

58 minutes ago, naxos said:

Open!

Yes, but no phone, and no online ordering (I tried to order from them today, and the phone rolls over to voicemail).

The "Fresh Garden Rolls" at Thai Square were notably better and fresher-tasting than they've ever been (and I've had them probably ten times) - this leads me to believe that they make them (not necessarily cut them) all before the restaurant opens (I think I've only had them at dinner, and can personally vouch that they decline in quality after a couple of hours).

9 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Coming to the Dupont area in the former Rosemary's Thyme space, 1801 18th Street, NW

It will do extremely well there. They're smart going for residential areas - it's just that kind of place.

The South Arlington branch is crowded to the point where it has changed traffic patterns at this chaotic intersection. A "No Right Turn on Red" sign has recently gone up on northbound S. Glebe Road turning right onto Walter Reed Drive. Someone needs to do something about their parking situation, because (I'm trying to avoid the word "dangerous") it's starting to affect surrounding traffic - especially people picking up carryout orders who park catch-as-catch-can.

From a recent dine-in meal:

PupatellaWine.jpgCroquettes.jpgPizza1.jpgPizza2.jpg

Note: This location is only about 1.5 miles (maybe 3 minutes) from I-395, and the Glebe Road intersection on I-395 is only about 5 minutes from the DC line.

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 23.06.08.png

Pizza Hut on Wiehle Avenue has closed down and been somewhat cleaned up a bit. There doesn't look like any construction going on at this time but I know my wife is very excited so hopefully it will open up before the end of the year.

Across the street at the Wiehle Avenue metro stop, Matchbox is on the way, too.

• Like 1

We've been watching with expectant eyes the past couple of time that we've driven by the location. Our son doesn't remember going to the Arlington location a couple of years ago so he's excited as well and of course, my wife can't wait. I won't be making pizza at home on Fridays for family movie night in the fall...

Stopped by at the opening yesterday and ordered a selection of pies and of course, the arancini. 

Everything was excellent and we enjoyed our first Neapolitan style crust in ten months. Again, they are one of the best in the DC area, the quality control as they expand appears to be working at this point and highly recommend them.

We'll definitely be adding them to the regular rotation and look forward to next summer when dining out can become a regular thing again.

During my wait time there, they had a brisk amount of business which appeared to be just from an article in the RestonNow advertising their soft opening on Tuesday. 

Now if Reston could only get a good Dim Sum place! 

• Like 3

They have a great thing going here...went by this evening about an hour ago, and the stream of people going in/out was pretty steady. They are only accepting in-person ordering but the wait after ordering was less than 20 minutes.

- Arancini with Sausage - excellent, and not greasy at all - peas were a cool touch.

- Meatball Pizza - crust is excellent, slightly sweetened, perfect char and travelled well.

- Meatballs in Marinara - decent sized meatballs, marinara was mild and their bread which accompanies the order was very good.

- Bimbi Pizza - basically straight cheese pizza - it was fine, enough said.

- Pepperoni Pizza - good sauce, and meat combo - nothing crazy but nicely seasoned and everyone loved it.

If you go, there is outdoor seating enclosed by a new wood 4' high fence. There are a few gas fireplaces and you can grab a beer while you wait. If you want to wait in your car they hand you a laminated # and bring the food to you. For being a new location, they have it down. Easy ordering, hardly a wait time, and food was fresh and hot.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 6:51 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

They have a great thing going here...went by this evening about an hour ago, and the stream of people going in/out was pretty steady. They are only accepting in-person ordering but the wait after ordering was less than 20 minutes.

- Arancini with Sausage - excellent, and not greasy at all - peas were a cool touch.

The Arancini have always been a winner at Pup.

On 9/30/2007 at 3:17 PM, pupatella said:

Team,

We have been reading this forum for a long time and found it very helpful in enhancing our dining experience.

Now, me and my partner Enzo Algarme have opened our own food establishment and want to invite you guys to check it out.
Enzo, who is from Naples, Italy, worked in the kitchen of the renown "Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente" (certified by Verace Pizza Napoletana) in Naples, where he learned how to make authentic Neapolitan specialties, which we are now making here, in Arlington, Virginia. Some things, like the Neapolitan Fried Calzone, you can't find anywhere else in this area.
We also make Palle di Riso (crunchy rice balls stuffed with peas, veggie crumble and cheese), Panzarotti - potato croquettes stuffed with mozzarella, Neapolitan-style pizza (we do not have a wood-burning oven, but use the same recipe and the ingredients as pizzerias in Naples).

The food we serve is the authentic Neapolitan STREET food, just like you find on the streets of Naples.
Our food establishment is a STREET CART, not a restaurant, so the prices are more than reasonable.

We have been open for about 1 week in the neighbourhood of Ballston, in Arlington, VA just outside the Metro station, at the corner of Stuart and 9th streets. We are only open Mon-Fri for breakfast and lunch right now, from 8 to 3:30, but soon will be open until 8pm.

Come to give us a shot!

Anastasiya and Enzo

pupatella.com
myspace.com/pupatella1pizza

the_cart_014.jpg

Are you actively involved in overseeing the pizzas that come out of the new Reston location’s ovens?

They're taking over the (cursed) restaurant space at 3rd and Massachusetts, NE, last occupied by Romeo and Juliet. Per Hill Rag.

The only place that's been there that I thought was halfway decent was the Thai one 30ish years ago, but I have high hopes for this.

• Like 1

The other night, delivery from Pupatella was surprisingly good, with one big caveat.

On my past few visits, the pizzas have been invariably floppy which is why I hadn't been to any Pupatella in probably two years, even though I live a half-mile away from one of them. When I say "floppy," I mean the crust is limp and without architectural integrity - when you touch it, it almost feels like injera.

Anyway, such was the case the other night (one pizza was also charred, the other wasn't). However, Pupatella also includes instructions for reheating, and they were followed to the letter (except that a baking sheet was substituted for a pizza stone). 

Both pizzas were wonderful, with excellent flavor and unimpeachable texture. I tend not to like Pupatella's "named" pizzas, mainly because I find their smoked mozzarella to be overly aggressive, so these were custom-built from the menu (which you can click on here):

pupatellamenu.pdf

* Tomato Sauce with Fresh Mozzarella [not Buffalo, not Smoked] ($8), Pepperoni ($1.50), and Sautéed Mushrooms ($1)

* Tomato Sauce with Sausage [not Chorizo] ($8) and Sautéed [not Caramelized] Onions ($1)

* Meatball Panino (enjoyed the next day after a long, slow reheat wrapped in foil - if you want the middle piping hot, go low and slow in the oven)

Getting a Pepperoni-Mushroom and Sausage-Onion pizza may not seem like any type of grand decision, but these specific combinations just really worked on this occasion, without any other distracting ingredients thrown in. Both items were sautéed perfectly, with the mushrooms having an earthy taste almost like they were done in red wine, and the onions absolutely not caramelized, but as sweet as can be. And the pepperoni and sausage had the correct amount of saltiness to counterbalance the sweetness on both pies, so there!

• Like 2