Coffee with Clients in Dupont Circle

Nutty Buddy

Two more options:

How about Bread and Chocolate at 23rd and M? It's not as far as it may seem...I'm a couple blocks south of you and find it an easy walk. I've never actually dined in, as it were, but have picked up lunches and treats "to go" on a few occasions. I've always been impressed with the service and really like the European feel of the cafe. There is also the new Illy Cafe on New Hampshire and M, in the hotel where Shula's Steakhouse used to be...OK, I just looked it up. It's now a Marriot, called the Renaissance M Street Hotel. click Too bad they don't show a picture, as I recall being impressed by the stone work and feel of the dining lounge when I peeked in. Again, I just got my coffee "to go" a few times. (And it was quite good) Hmmm...Maybe I'll have to take a trip over there tomorrow and report back!

Teaism!! I forgot. They serve coffee, right?

I don't know if the Dupont Circle one does, but the Penn Quarter one most emphatically does not. This was an issue for a family breakfast a couple years ago: Mom and I, tea people; Dad, not so much.

I don't know if the Dupont Circle one does, but the Penn Quarter one most emphatically does not. This was an issue for a family breakfast a couple years ago: Mom and I, tea people; Dad, not so much.

At least as of the first week in June, Teaism most definitely did not serve coffee. When I was there, I often noted mixed-marriages, one with a cup from Teaism, the other with a cup from the Starbucks next door (not that I am condoning that route...)

You can definitely get coffee in the front lounge at the Tabard Inn; I wrote chunks of my doctoral dissertation in that room. It's a gorgeous room, especially in the wintertime when the fire is roaring. It believe also has a reputation as being a discreet place for movers & shakers & powermongers to do business. I once overheard an extremely serious sounding discussion regarding possible military interventions in North Korea -- although one presumes that if the gentlemen in question had more access to the centers of power and less of a need to publicly demonstrate it, I wouldn't have overheard them.

Thanks for all your suggestions/recommendations!

Based on proximity to my office and level of professionalism appropriate to the meeting, Tabbard Inn and The Mayflower were the finalists. I chose the Mayflower because my client had stayed at Tabbard Inn recently, dining there several times during her stay. I figured she would want to try something new.

The Mayflower impressed. The first words out of my client's mouth were, "Wow, beautiful hotel." I was a bit underwhelmed by the set up of the the lobby's cafe though. I expected china cofee cups and table service. What we got was counter service with Starbucks coffee in paper cups. The food available was whole fresh fruit and pastries. I had the largest bran muffin known to exist. I thought to myself, "Was this shot with human growth hormone?! It's the size of my head!" It was very moist, but over the top. It was gummy and not very flavorful. I ate as much of it as I had room for though since I worked out this morning and was starving. I know they say, "Here at the Mayflower we're proud to serve Starbucks," but who knows why they would brag about that. As per usual the coffee tasted overly roasted if not burned.

The setting was spot on but the food and drink, not so much. Of course, I don't think my client picked up on any of this. (She had tea and a human-sized slice of banana bread.) We had a great meeting, and that's what was really important.

It's a great spot for a casual business chat, and I'd probably go again. I would like to compare with an experience at Tabbard Inn though.

The food at Circa is middlin but their cofee is very tasty.

I still miss Wrapworks:( Off-topic I know, but now that I work in the area, a hearty plate of tasty-sauced meat, beans, and salad with a crushed ice crink would hit the spot sometimes.