Home Based Sausage and Charcuterie Making

150 homes’ worth of veritable charcuturie (Gilles Verot; Paris, France).

Fromage de tête. The big cheese’s (1997 French head cheese champion) head cheese. 270lbs of it.

6130077643_52f60eb7c9.jpg

Hure de porc. Brined pork tongues studded with pistachios.

Pressed, cooked in a pork stock, then packed in a spring loaded mold lined with sheets of lard and simmered once more.

6130531755_1e1e2187d5.jpg

Beaucoup de boudin noir. Blood sausage.

1st of 2 batches. Blood is much, much thicker than water once supplemented with fatback and onions.

6131063948_1914d83a48.jpg

75,000% RDA of iron.

6130628752_7df7f4d145.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took my first venture into sausage making this weekend. A friend gave me a venison rump roast from his recent hunting trip and I decided to turn it into venison cheese brats. I used a mix of about 3/5 venison and 2/5 fatty pork shoulder roast (about 5 pounds of meat total), and a similar 3/5 : 2/5 mix of Penzey's venison sausage seasoning and their bratwurst seasoning with an addition of a teaspoon or so of caraway seeds. The cheese was extra-sharp Cracker Barrel cheddar.

I'm happy with the job the grinder attachment did on the meat. I used the meat cut in cubes and semi-frozen, and fed in a few lumps of pork fat first to grease everything up well for the meat to follow. One grind thru on the large plate, which I then seasoned and mixed lightly, then ran it thru again on the small grinder plate, to which I added the grated cheese and some ice water, then mixed and chilled again before stuffing. Actually stuffing the casings was the most difficult part of the task for me. I kept catching air bubbles in the feed chute that then would cause bubbles in my sausages. And keeping the weiners uniform in length and girth was challenging as well. The first run was especially eclectic.

At the end of it all, though, I had fun and a bunch of very tasty brats to share with my friends