Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Macaroni Grill is going to now be a Union Jack's. I don't know a thing about them though. Welcome, levjn.

Great! Thanks Shaggy! Never heard of Union Jack's... but from a quick google I'm assuming it's the same as the pub in Bethesda? Seems to be a good match for the rest of the pub type restaurants in Ballston... Rock Bottom and Bailey's... Ballston Common is getting a theme...

Your Eventide is on the tops of our "can't wait for it to open" list! :lol: That's a great building and your renovation is coming along nicely! My husband and I live about 2 1/2 blocks behind your restaurant and are very anxious to have nice rooftop dining (A first I believe for Arlington?) and a more "mature" lounge/bar crowd (we're in our 30's - "mature" for what many late night spots in Claredon have become...)! :lol:

Good noon everyone. I'm Matt and am a cook at a local restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. I'm here to see what people think about the other restaurants around here, being a foodie myself it's a good thing to know.

Look forward to hearing it.

Matt

Hello All! My name is Oliver Friendly and I work as a personal chef/cooking instructor in the DC area. I have a website, if you would like to see what I do, www.eatandsmilefoods.com. I use all foods from the area farmers markets and do the same for the cooking lessons. I am new to Don Rockwell, but a fourth generation Washingtonian, so I look forward to learning more about my own area.

Thanks

Hello, fellow Donrockwell-ers!

I'm Karin Logan- I have been a member of this website for quite sometime though this is my first post! I was fully enticed by Don's email about a DonRockwell membership card..

I work as a full time waitress at a restaurant called Nage in Embassy Row, NW. We are a fairly young restaurant but in the past few months received a wonderful 2 page spread review in Dc Modern Luxury. (You might recognize the waitress setting a table on the spread :lol:) I am in a traveling stint right now, after having just returned from a month in Europe, but after all the money is gone, as well as my job's patience, I should be returning to school either at Stratford University or The Washington School of Arts for a associates in Culinary Skills.

Once I get the hang of this website, I have many posts and reviews I would love to contribute. I seem to have become a opentable junkie- where's the interaction??

Pleased to meet everybody!

Hi --

I'm Sue. I live in DC near the Friendship Heights metro. Started cooking for my family when I was 8 or 9 years old -- now I'm about to start teaching my own 10 year old. She's a vegetarian (as the result of a traumatic lobster incident in Maine a few years back, and perhaps of a tendency to think things through to logical conclusions, LOL!); my husband and I are omnivorous. Grew up in Cleveland and California. Non-food passions include politics, education, and somewhat esoteric boardgames.

Current restaurant defaults includes Palena, Dino, David Craig, Poste, Rosa Mexicano, Oyamel, Red Tomato, Arucola, Black Market (for brunch) and Pain Quotidien (ditto).

Current guilty vice: Praline.

Just got back from a trip to NYC and was amazed at how much better/easier we ate thanks to Chowhound and Opentable!

My name is Pete. I signed up for DonRockwell.com for the Dining Guide. I like knowing what to expect before going to a restaurant and what other have liked and not liked. And, I've learned about restaurants that I would not have otherwise known about.

Hi there -- my name is Patrick. I'm a Mt. Pleasant resident, though formerly of Dupont Circle. I count Komi as my favorite DC dining experience, and I'm hoping that some of our upcoming neighborhood spots -- the new Caribbean restaurant and gastropub, both under construction near the Columbia Heights metro -- emerge as reliable dining spots. I'm looking forward to learning more about the DC dining scene from you Rockwell denizens.

Happy Tuesday all!

I'm Sarah. I've been reading here for a very very long time - several years, I believe. I keep meaning to join the conversation, but never quite getting around to doing so. First it took me forever to register. Since I got registered, I just kept putting off posting for no particular reason. But now, here I am, and maybe posting once will remind to post again.

The quick overview: I live and work in DC, and tend to eat in DC, although for great food I will cross the river (rare, but it does happen) or head for MD. (Due to my movie obsession and the fact the Ray's the Classics is so good and so convenient to the Silver, this happens regularly, although not as often as I would like.) 25 years ago, as a college student, I was a waitress and a bartender in various places, mostly now gone. Those days are long past though. Now I'm a customer who truly enjoys good food, good drink, and good service.

Any more and I'll get to rambling, even though this doesn't seem like enough. So here I am, I appreciate all the useful information and the enjoyment reading here has provided, and I'm looking forward to being part of the conversation.

Those rackets are for sissies. You're not a real tennis player until you can play with one of these:

post-27-1210944389_thumb.jpg

No, I'm not in D.C.... NYC member, checking in once in awhile since I still think this is a great site. I still have my T-2000, strung, ready to play. Of course I still have my Tad Davis Imperial wood racquet as well. I play with the original Agassi Radical... I still have 2 left.... might have to get me one of the newfangled things they sell now, maybe with remote control so I dont have to run after the ball as much. Next time I'm in D.C. I'll bring them and expect a doubles game.

Hello! I am a new member of Don Rockwell and thought I would pop my proverbial post cherry with an introduction. I am not sure how to introduce myself without it sounding like some cheesy online ad, but here goes! I am a transplant to DC (shocking, I know) but I have truly come to feel like this city is my home. I have a food blog (yet another shocker), Adventures in Shaw, and my love of cooking and food knows no bounds (seriously, I have gone out on dates only for the food...I have no shame when it comes to the nibbles). I discovered this site through another food blogger, the Houndstooth Gourmet, and I am so glad I did!

I have a food blog (yet another shocker), Adventures in Shaw, and my love of cooking and food knows no bounds (seriously, I have gone out on dates only for the food...I have no shame when it comes to the nibbles).

Here is the link. Welcome, and thanks for joining! Cheers, Rocks.

Hi, my name is Kelley and I've become a bit of a cocktail geek lately. I am starting to play around with making my own bitters and infusions to go along with collecting (ever more expensive) liquor. I've found this board to be a great distraction from my day job in the past few weeks, and also a good source of knowledge about where to eat.

I'm originally from smack in the middle of Iowa, and came to DC in a roundabout way via Florida, Illinois, and Indiana. I've lived in DC for about three years and currently reside in the U St area.

None of my friends can understand why in the world I would want to make my own tonic to mix with my gin. I think they're misguided.

My name is Jeff. I've been in the District for about 3 years now. The first 2 years were spent on a super tight budget and without much dining out. The last year has been spent discovering all of the different great restaurants in our city.

A brief overview of what I have discovered: (In my opinion...)

Best restaurant so far: Citronelle

Best Italian: Il Mulino

Best burger: Palena Cafe (although Chef Geoff's comes in close 2nd)

I've been a member of this board for about three years now, but I've never properly introduced myself.

I've live in DC for about ten years, minus a couple of years here and there living abroad in the Middle East. When I am living here, I live in Adams Morgan and don't generally leave the city except to go to the airport (so all I know about Virginia is that the sushi bar outside of security at DCA is better than it needs to be and I'm thankful for the itty bitty smoking room next to Harry's Tap Room at Dulles).

I love food, and I love restaurants. My brother is a sommelier who lives in San Francisco, and we have an unspoken deal to meet once a year and spend a month's rent on a meal. (Our 2008 reservation is at Per Se at the end of July.) I have enjoyed being a part of this site because, no matter what's going on in my life--whether I'm in a god-forsaken joint twelve time zones away, or here, having personal issues that are keeping me at home eating unspeakable frozen thingies--I've savored the narrative of DC's culinary scene and endeavored to appreciate what it has to offer, whether I would eventually taste it or not. At the same time, this site has been an invaluable resource of knowledge about cooking, inspiring me about what I could make for myself on those days that I don't eat out.

So, hiya! Happy to be here!

BTW: I don't post on any board but this one. I have, however, started to see my name or a derivative of it around. FYI, that ain't me.

I've been a longtime reader of this board, but I finally feel compelled to delurk after the two great tips I've received from you in the last week - free gelato at Dolcezza last week and free burgers at Ray's Hell Burger tonight (yum!)

I live in Arlington, moved here 2 years ago from Chicago. I still miss my favorite Chicago restaurants, but am enjoying eating my way around DC. I also love to cook and bake and am a frequent visitor to the Courthouse Farmers' Market.

I look forward to participating in the always lively conversations here!

Hello!

I'm Danni, and I'm a teacher and the type of foodie who forgets to take a picture of the food before eating it. I found your site while working on a restaurant submission form for (D.C.'s Menupages site).

My fiance and I are big fans of Asian foods, especially those of East Asia. My absolutely favorite dish is kamaage udon. Only one restaurant I know of serves it, and it is in New York City. Recently, my noodle-craving, salty tooth palette has started expanding, craving some of the less standard fare of foods, like other parts. I may even give natto another try! :lol:

This site seems full of people who enjoy food, and I can't wait to get to know you better.

Have a Great Day!

Danni

Hey folks,

Jon from Rosslyn checking in...I live around the corner from what I affectionately think of as the highest culinary strip mall in the US...home of Ray's the Steak, Guajilo, Pho 75, and now Ray's Hellburger. Good times, but hard on the belt :lol:

Long time lurker, but finally wanted to start contributing!

Hi, I am Lily. I recently moved to Virginia from Michigan with my husband. One of the finer pleasure of moving to a different place for me is that I get to go on a hunt for my new favorite restaurants. There have been lots of hit and misses, and so far I have enjoyed the vegetarian meze at Zaytinya, Cantonese food at Miu Kee, Pho at Pho Hot, Dim sum at China Garden, Honey Pig BBQ, Oysters at Hank's, and most recently Ray's hell burger (juicy beefy goodness, yum!). My only complaint so far is that I can't find a mom and pop Ramen shop like this one in Michigan. http://www.worldramen.net/World/USA/Review...uchanRamen.html Overall, the culinary scene here is better and I can't wait to explore more places.

My only complaint so far is that I can't find a mom and pop Ramen shop like this one in Michigan. http://www.worldramen.net/World/USA/Review...uchanRamen.html

I think our best bet is to get a place like Ippudo, which recently opened in New York. It's good (but not as good as Momofuku Noodle Bar in case anyone is keeping score). With apologies for their annoying website ... click.

OK, OK, I'm finally going to post just to make sure my membership remains in good standing. I've lived in the area for about 25 (!) years, and I first starting reading this board when it was mentioned in a Tom Sietsma chat. I've picked up a number of good recommendations in the restaurant discussions and been able to impress friends and family with my knowledge. :lol: Thanks, everyone. (But I'm still too intimidated to try Ray's--one day I'll get the courage up, but my husband and 9-year-old hate waits and hassles. It sounds too much like an "in" place, and I just wasn't in that crowd in high school.) That's probably it from me for a very long time.

Hi, my name is Noel. I am not really new here - I've been a member for over a year, but I don't post very often. I can't even remember how I found this place, but it has really served me well. I live right between Courthouse and Clarendon and basically, I love to eat. All kinds of food, pretty much all the time. I love trying new restaurants, and especially enjoy good deals. Oh, and wine. Love wine.
I also work at Cheestique in Del Ray on Sundays - where I am lucky enough to work with wonderful people, sample too many delicious cheeses and serve the nicest customers. Awwww.

Hello All! I'm Claire and I found out about the board from a fellow assistant at L'Academie. I also work for a recipe website (cookthink.com). I'm always searching for new things to eat, so this seemed like the perfect place. Thanks!

Hello All! I'm Claire and I found out about the board from a fellow assistant at L'Academie. I also work for a recipe website (cookthink.com). I'm always searching for new things to eat, so this seemed like the perfect place. Thanks!

Great website! Welcome.

Hey I'm chaofun. I live in Rosslyn, and I love food. I'm not associated with "the business", but perhaps some day I'd like to. I'm a BBQ nut, I can make a darn good rack of ribs, and pork shoulder on my little Weber Smokey Mountain. I traveled all over NC sampling BBQ for a couple days. Some folks do wine tours I do BBQ tours. :) Also I'm half Filipino and half Thai, and I can make a mean chicken adobo, and red curry. Hope to be posting again soon!

As a DR newbie, I just wanted to say Hi to everyone. Don't work in the restaurant world, but LOVE food and drink.

Just moved back East after 3ish years in San Diego, CA. Fell in love with REAL Mexican food, so am on the lookout for something in the area that can come close. Enjoy Thai, Vietnamese and other Asian cuisine as well. But would especially like to find some DC-area restaurants that serve offal -- where can you find some good kidney, tripe, heart, sweetbreads, tongue, etc? I've enjoyed... really enjoyed... the sweetbread at Bistro Bis and Cashion's. Any other suggestions?

I hope to meet some of my fellow DC-area DR foodies in the future.

Thanks for this site!!!

Todd (Washington, DC)

Hey I'm chaofun. I live in Rosslyn, and I love food. I'm not associated with "the business", but perhaps some day I'd like to. I'm a BBQ nut, I can make a darn good rack of ribs, and pork shoulder on my little Weber Smokey Mountain. I traveled all over NC sampling BBQ for a couple days. Some folks do wine tours I do BBQ tours. :lol: Also I'm half Filipino and half Thai, and I can make a mean chicken adobo, and red curry. Hope to be posting again soon!

NC-style BBQ... yummy! I thought I drove past a place advertised as a NC-style BBQ joint somewhere up on Rhode Island Ave around the Bloomingdale neighborhood a while back. Been meaning to go looking for it again. I'm not a fan of the KC Masterpiece-like barbecue that was all I knew growing up. Had my first vinegar-based Carolina-style barbeque last year on a drive thru the state. Oh my GOD!!!! Heavenly.

Cheers!

Hi, everyone! Brian Joyner with BeBetterGuys.com, men's lifestyle site. In addition to being co-founder of the site, I worked in restaurants on and off since I was 17. I claim to be retired, but to quote Michael Corleone, "Each time I think I'm out, they suck me back in."

Nice to be here, looking forward to the discussions.

(But I'm still too intimidated to try Ray's--one day I'll get the courage up, but my husband and 9-year-old hate waits and hassles. It sounds too much like an "in" place, and I just wasn't in that crowd in high school.) That's probably it from me for a very long time.
I hate waits too, but there are a couple of other excellent places to eat in the same shopping center as the 2 Ray's if there is a wait. If/when you get there, I think you may chuckle at the "in" characterization.

Thanks, Pat, for the encouragement. After I posted, I realized that my tone may have come across not quite as I intended, and I hoped no one would take it as snarky. I love all the tips I get from this board, even if family schedules don't let me try all I'd like.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to DC--moved here from the Southeast five months ago. I'm not in the food industry, except as an "end user" in the value chain <haha>... A fellow foodie recommended this board to me. Thanks to you, I had a great burger at Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington on the 4th of July. I ordered mine au poivre ... and I enjoyed the watermelon and corn on the cob. A perfect meal for celebrating our country's birthday! Anyway, thanks for the recommendation--I'll visit often.

orelena

I'm the AGM of little joint in old town and wanted to introduce myself to the cast and crew of don rockwell.

This has been a fascinating board to follow from afar and i'm genuinely happy to now be a part of it. I look forward to penning many more postings in the future.

Thanks for having me!

Thanks, Pat, for the encouragement. After I posted, I realized that my tone may have come across not quite as I intended, and I hoped no one would take it as snarky. I love all the tips I get from this board, even if family schedules don't let me try all I'd like.
Your tone was just fine :lol:. I'm not sure if I was too clear either. Except for The Classics, the ambience of the Ray's is quite at odds with the perception one might get from reading/hearing people talk about the place(s).

Hi Everybody!

I'm Cj. I live in MD and eat wherever good food is at. :lol: My fav place lately is Guardado's in Bethesda. I don't go nearly as often as I like but every time I've gone the food has been awesome and the service fast and friendly. I love trying new food and I'm looking forward to trying the places mentioned here.

Hi all-- I just signed here up last week, so I'll introduce myself--

My name is Matt, I live in downtown Bethesda (bought a condo about ten years ago, before prices went crazy)-- near Bethesda Row-- so there's a ton of fair-to-middlin' restaurants within stumbling distance of my front door. I've tried a bunch of them over the years, and generally agree with the 'Why can't they be better?' school. On the other hand, I'm more of a social eater than a foodie-- I'll go to restaurants with friends, but otherwise eat at home.

Recently been lapping up the gelato at Dolcezza in Bethesda Lane (tried chocolate, pistachio, blueberry, Mexican chocolate, so far...) and looking forward to trying the soon-to-open Redwood.

Hi Matt, Scott and I are happy to see you here. :lol:

Looks like a good site, lots of useful info.

I walked into Redwood a week ago-- they were doing a 'soft opening'. Had separate bar and dining room menus and only the bar menu was open to the public. Looked like a nice (and rather big) place.

Hi! My name is Jenn and I live in the Ballston area and work downtown as a government peon. :lol: I found this forum through the blog Apples and Bananas, and this forum is quickly becoming my new favorite obsession; so I decided to stop lurking!

I love food, eating out or cooking in, it is pretty much an unadulterated love affair. Recently I started an herb and tomato garden, and I'm hoping to expand this next year because so far I haven't killed anything. ;)

My other passion is local produce, and this has been an exciting adventure. I found farm that delivers milk, eggs, and meat; and I've been going to the farmers markets regularly on the weekends and next year I'm looking forward to participating in a CSA.

I'm looking forward to reading all of your comments and posts.

Hi, My name is Amy and I'm on the board of the Olney Farmers and Artists Market, a two-year old market in Olney, Maryland. We operate Sundays from 9 am to 1 pm from May through mid-November and are located at Olney Town Center, Route 108 (Olney-Sandy Spring Road) and Spartan Road in the heart of Olney. We are unusual in that we not only have great farmers and vendors, but we also have artists and live music, chef demonstrations, and children's activities. I'm hopeful that you will spread the word. Jeff Givens, with Southern Skies Coffee, who is one of our terrific vendors, told me about this group. I appreciate being a part of this community!

The Olney Farmers Market website is www.olneyfarmersmarket.org if anyone wants to know more about us.

So I'm new....

A little about me - I'm in my late 20s. I'm married. I have two dogs. I live in Silver Spring.

I love to eat. I love dessert especially. I love to drink - red wine is at the top of the list right now. Especially cab sauv and zin....

I look forward to getting to know you all!

hello, im scott. i stumbled across this site trying to find reviews of Thirstie Bernies and have been unable to stay away. i live in arlington and along with a fellow firefighter operate 3Frefighters And A Pig doing whole hog barbeques. other than that the only other thing notable is im planning on going to Rays the Steaks for the first time next week. cant wait!

Hi, I am a foodie, but wine is my passion. I am a beverage director for Kimpton hotels. I am joining this group because I have recently moved to DC, and I want to become more active in the DC restaurant scene.

Did anyone hear that Zagat himself came into restaurants last weekend and graded them solely based on walking in and looking at the decor and plate presentation? can i say that's odd?