Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

I'm an urban beekeeper, one of quite a few, in Washington DC. I am interested in exploring ways to build relationships between beekeepers and food professionals interested in locavore eating and the role of the honeybee in food in general. We each of us produce a very small amount, but could perhaps find a way to work together helpfully!

Cheers,

Toni

Hi there. I heard about this site from a waiter in French American Brasserie (A/K/A 'FAB') in Atlanta, where I had lunch last week. Excellent mussells, nice pate de compagne made in house. He had spent 8 or 9 years in DC, working at some places on U Street and Adams Morgan. Brought the chef out and learned that he's curing his own hams at home, to be ready in a couple of months. Makes his own boudin blanc and boudin noir. When I mentioned that Jeff Biedermeir at Marcel's makes a wonderful boudin blanc, they figured I might be interested in this site.

I am not in the business-- I am an Administrative Law Judge in the DC government (and no, we are not all idiots like the pant suit guy) who loves food, cooking and dining. I hope to learn about all these from you folks, so again, thanks for letting me join.

Billy Thai aka WILL Yum.......Not a HUGE foodie persay....but have eaten at ALL 257 Bethesda joints and 222 Thai happenings......uh what's happening? :rolleyes:

Work at Bethesda CPA that has run the gamete of working with 40 current spots and many from the past.

Has seen lots of menus change and DC has definitely gotten very sophisticated.....

Stuck up chefs and bartenders....oh sorry.....mixologists and demanding dining patrons now rule inside the Beltway and can't we.....can't we just all get along? :huh:

Billy Thai aka WILL Yum.......Not a HUGE foodie persay....but have eaten at ALL 257 Bethesda joints and 222 Thai happenings......uh what's happening? :rolleyes:

Work at Bethesda CPA that has run the gamete of working with 40 current spots and many from the past.

Has seen lots of menus change and DC has definitely gotten very sophisticated.....

Stuck up chefs and bartenders....oh sorry.....mixologists and demanding dining patrons now rule inside the Beltway and can't we.....can't we just all get along? :huh:

Hey are you joining us for dinner tonight at Vidalia?

Hello new friends, I'm Su. I've lived and eaten on DC for about five years. I haven't used this site much yet, but plan to now that I've been unchained from my desk (evenings and weekends only.) I love to cook and to eat. Whenever I want to cook something new I reach for my Julia Child's for guidance. Now, whenever I want to eat somewhere new I'll come right here. My new fav restaurant is Cava on Barrack's Row and new fav bar is Wisdom down Penn Ave SE (yep, SE!) However, to be fair, I have a new fav restaurant and bar on a regular basis. Currently I am eating a tasty turkey cobb on pumpernickel from West Wing Cafe.

Cheers!

Hi All. My name is Bert.

Long time lurker and lover of all things food. DonRockwell has long been one of my favorite sources for reliable and up to the minute foodie gossip and informative critique. No relation to the food industry although as much as I spend eating out I really should figure out a business plan. Grew up in the south with a Grandfather and Mom that could have been making money considering what they delivered to the table on a regular basis. Been to most of the must-go spots here in the DC-area at this point and many in NYC (although you can never cover them all up there). I am going to make it a goal of mine to share my experiences here and add to the fray.

Cheers.

Howdy,

I've been a lurker for a good while and figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself after another friendly reminder email.

My wife and I live in the culinary sinkhole of Georgetown and are trying to explore as many of the eateries in less barren neighborhoods as possible--while spending well beyond our means. We also love to cook and we make dinner at home many nights but with our schedules and small kitchen generally keep things relatively simple.

I'm also a retired bartender (Rulloff's in Ithaca, NY) and novice homebrewer. Currently have an Imperial IPA bottled and another, slightly different Imperial IPA in primary--yes, I do love me some hops. Looking to expand our capacity so if anyone has any used brewing equipment for sale send me a PM.

Cheers,

JAZ

Hi Ya'll

I'm Wendy Buckley from Arlington.

I stumbled across this forum over a year ago while searching for wine bars in he D.C. area. Now I'm starting one of my own here in Clarendon.

I also have pugs, whom I dearly love (hence the icon).

Give my site a look if you are interested: www.screwtopwinebar.com

From there you can get to my facebook and twitter pages.

Thanks for welcoming me into the group.

Cheers,

-Wendy

hello all-

i've been lurking here a while, and thank everyone for their posts and recommendations!

i live 2 two blocks from ray's the classics, haven't been there in TOO LONG, and need to go back soon!

always look forward to posts from fellow silver springers...

someday soon i'll post some of my reviews as well :rolleyes:

jim

Since Don has written twice and asked me to do the intro thing - here goes: I live in Florida and I have a second residence in Napa, CA. I have family and regulary visit the DC area - in fact, I was born in DC (the old GW Hospital, now torn down), lived and worked there for a long time, most recently from 2006 - 2007 and have an active interest in DC dining. I'm a regular reader of the Post on-line, like Tom Sietsma's Wednesday sessions and use Chowhound, Zagat and other on-line sources. Always interested in learning about what's good in DC. Love the oysters at Old Ebbitt, mourn the loss of Le Bagatelle (so long ago and La Colline was never a good replacement) and the Frozen Dairy Bar in Falls Church, adore the Mediterranean fish soup at the Bread Line and think that Michael Landrum runs a dynamite steak house. Sorry - there is no good barbecue in DC, although Rocklands in Arlington has o.k. ribs. Nothing beats a steamed blue crab (#1 jimmies only) with lots of Old Bay and salt.

Look forward to lurking and posting occasionally.

Mike

:rolleyes:

Clearly I am new to this board. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to the Don Rockwell community. I am a DC native (born in DC!), grew up in the suburbs, moved away for a while and have now lived in Logan Circle for past 5 years.

My affinity for great food and wine began while I was a member of the Beijing chapter of the Beefsteak and Burgundy Club (a great organization) from 1995 to 2001:

http://www.beefsteakandburgundyclub.org.au/

To get an idea of what I have been eating and drinking of late, please check out my wife's DC-focused food blog. It is full of photos, recipes, restaurant reviews, and of course...political undertones:

http://pcswineledger.blogspot.com/

Cheers!

Hi, I am Gary. In the interest of full disclosure, I am an old friend of Don's and a big fan of this site. I am not in the food or wine business but consider a great many in the industry good friends. I am also a New Yorker so my sojourns in the DC area are somewhat rarer than the MD/VA crowd.

Hi, I am Gary. In the interest of full disclosure, I am an old friend of Don's

Not to mention one of the greatest violinists in the world (and the youngest ever to play in the New York Philharmonic). Listen to him belt out the ending of the Bach D-minor Chaconne on his Stradivarius (honest to goodness, the guy walks around with a damned Stradivarius) here.

Welcome, Gary! :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I'm a NYer, long-time poster on eG, avid restaurant goer, devoted cocktailian, pretty good home cook and a professionally trained "chef," though not working as one.

My wife has accepted an exciting federal job, and we will be finding a place to live in DC, while keeping our apartment in NYC, and traveling between the two.

Since I blog a bit about food, I'm very excited to learn about the DC restaurant, bar, and market scene and I'm sure I'll see you around the boards quite a bit - I look forward to it.

Greetings,

I moved to DC from California a little over a year ago and just heard about this site from a foodie friend of mine. I love eating, cooking, and gardening and look forward to learning about all the great things DC has.

~Scott

Scott has, in this post, sadly downplayed his amazing cooking ability, just for those of you interested. He's currently in the process of trying to figure out what to choose to best accompany the chocolate port for which the winery at which he'll be married next year is famous. :rolleyes:

After 3 years reading in here, I think it's about time I introduce myself. I live in Falls Church, VA and am of Vietnamese origin. Started cooking a few years ago and not a very good one even thought my wife thinks I am the best cook in the world. I started cooking after watching Goodfellas, The Score, The Godfather and realized that tough dudes cook. I learned and continue to learn from members here. Thank you !

Hello all!

I joined this site at the advice of a friend and still haven't managed to post anything yet so I figured it was time.

I can't wait to start reading everyone's reviews of all the great places in dc (and the not-so-great of course). I am looking forward to finding some new gems through this site and hope that I can introduce you to some of my favorites as well!

Here are two of my cheap faves: Mangiolardo's 1317 Pennsylvania Ave SE. It's a sandwich shop that's only open during the week for b-fast and lunch. It's worth the trip! About $6 for a truly great cold cut sandwich.

Pho 69 on Wilson Blvd - cheap and good Pho in the same strip mall as Ray's Hellburger. About $8 for a bowl of soup that no one can finish.

Hello all!

I joined this site at the advice of a friend and still haven't managed to post anything yet so I figured it was time.

I can't wait to start reading everyone's reviews of all the great places in dc (and the not-so-great of course). I am looking forward to finding some new gems through this site and hope that I can introduce you to some of my favorites as well!

Here are two of my cheap faves: Mangiolardo's 1317 Pennsylvania Ave SE. It's a sandwich shop that's only open during the week for b-fast and lunch. It's worth the trip! About $6 for a truly great cold cut sandwich.

Pho 69 on Wilson Blvd - cheap and good Pho in the same strip mall as Ray's Hellburger. About $8 for a bowl of soup that no one can finish.

Welcome!

The pho is good and I certainly know many folks that can finish a bowl. :rolleyes:

The time draws near (October) for my "irregularly-regular" visit back to D.C. from Sonoma County CA. Much good eating and good wine out here, but, more to the point, I must concoct a post so as not to become deactivated from this Forum and, thence, to disappear into distant cyberspace. While not gourmet by any means, two of my favorite D.C. venues are Joe's Noodle in Rockville (e.g., their salty-spicy squid) and Full Kee in Chinatown (simply dynamite dumplings in broth). If anyone has suggestions as to similar fare, please to let me know. Local knowledge usually always wins.

Hi

Recently went to Urbana for a late afternoon date (3:30-5:30)and had an amazing time. We asked the chef (Alex) to pick six or seven dishes for us, and to send them out in any order he chose. He also picked wines for us

There were no tables available that night, so it was a great way to sneak a full meal in on a Saturday, and to not have to make choices. There was no dish that we didn't love, but the pizza bianca, the gazpacho, and the steak frites were incredible.

great way to spend a staurday

Hi, My name is Nicole.

I live in Northern Virginia and currently write for a blog DiscoJing.com. On this blog I document the restaurants I try in the area and recipes that I attempt to cook. I also showcase my (almost) daily attempts at bento (Japanese boxed lunch).

My family is from Hawai'i and I've lived all over the East coast and in Japan for a bit.

I look forward to learning from all of you and sharing any information that might be of use.

Hi everyone-

I'm a 23 year old native of the DC area and have never been apart of an online restaurant community, and don't have a blog. I joined Don Rockwell because the people here seem to have a similar passion for restaurants that I do.

I go out to eat atleast twice a week. The best restaurant experiences I've had were at 2941 (when Chef Krinn was there) and most recently Volt in Frederick MD.

After a dozen calls to Minibar, I finally got a reservation for this Saturday. I'm excited because the Cafe Atlantico meal I had there was amazing.

Oh and I'm also a pizza addict that doesn't think anything in DC compares to NYC pizza, but Potenza is the best I've had here.

Hi everyone-

I'm a 23 year old native of the DC area and have never been apart of an online restaurant community, and don't have a blog. I joined Don Rockwell because the people here seem to have a similar passion for restaurants that I do.

I go out to eat atleast twice a week. The best restaurant experiences I've had were at 2941 (when Chef Krinn was there) and most recently Volt in Frederick MD.

After a dozen calls to Minibar, I finally got a reservation for this Saturday. I'm excited because the Cafe Atlantico meal I had there was amazing.

Oh and I'm also a pizza addict that doesn't think anything in DC compares to NYC pizza, but Potenza is the best I've had here.

And I'm your fellow adventurer!

Hi my name is Willie. I live in Virginia but frequent the Washington area restaurants quite often. I just started bar tending in DC as well so I have a new appreciation for good bars in restaurants and people who can make a good drink. I'm looking forward to reading peoples opinions to help me decide the best places to eat in the area. Thanks.

Hi, My name is Nicole.

I live in Northern Virginia and currently write for a blog DiscoJing.com. On this blog I document the restaurants I try in the area and recipes that I attempt to cook. I also showcase my (almost) daily attempts at bento (Japanese boxed lunch).

My family is from Hawai'i and I've lived all over the East coast and in Japan for a bit.

I look forward to learning from all of you and sharing any information that might be of use.

Welcome Nicole! My husband's family is also from Hawai'i, and we just visited last month...Since then we've been searching for a good recipe for the Okinawan Sweet Potato and Haupia Pie like the one we had from the Saint-Germain bakery inside Shirokiya @ Ala Moana. I think I just put on 5 pounds daydreaming about that dessert! Let me know if you've found a comparable recipe (or maybe not! :rolleyes: )

Welcome Nicole! My husband's family is also from Hawai'i, and we just visited last month...Since then we've been searching for a good recipe for the Okinawan Sweet Potato and Haupia Pie like the one we had from the Saint-Germain bakery inside Shirokiya @ Ala Moana. I think I just put on 5 pounds daydreaming about that dessert! Let me know if you've found a comparable recipe (or maybe not! :rolleyes: )

Is this a pie that is made with sweet potato AND haupia??

I have NEVER heard of that. Apparently it *is* pretty popular.

Not sure, but I googled and found these:

- http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_grindz/2004/10/okinawan_sweet_.html

- http://maona.net/archives/2005/11/sweet_potato_an.php

- http://www.cometalkfood.com/sweet-potato-okinawan-and-coconut-haupia-pie/11

- http://www.recipezaar.com/okinawan-purple-sweet-potato-pie-with-haupia-topping-359757

- http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ab-hawaii&tid=4018

this book was also mentioned: What the Big Island Likes to Eat

I think its kinda hard to find the purple sweet potatos here. I've seen them at the Grand Mart in Centreville twice though.

Is this a pie that is made with sweet potato AND haupia??

I have NEVER heard of that. Apparently it *is* pretty popular.

Not sure, but I googled and found these:

- http://onokinegrindz...wan_sweet_.html

- http://maona.net/arc...t_potato_an.php

- http://www.cometalkf...t-haupia-pie/11

- http://www.recipezaa...-topping-359757

- http://forums.about....hawaii&tid=4018

this book was also mentioned: What the Big Island Likes to Eat

I think its kinda hard to find the purple sweet potatos here. I've seen them at the Grand Mart in Centreville twice though.

Thanks for the links! We buy the purple sweet potatoes all the time at H Mart and Lotte (in MD) They're a staple in our house.

Hi everyone!

I grew up in DC and also lived there for two years recently as a business student. Since relocating to the West Coast (Ventura/LA area), I really miss the food in DC and look forward to eating well there on my visits to family and friends. My next visit is in October and I look forward to reading about everyone's experiences to inform my restaurant decisions.

Happy eating everyone!

Gabriela

I've watched the board for several years and enjoyed all the great info, I finally decided I should have full access so I've now registered as a user. I've lived in DC for 18 years and finally can afford good meals and eat out more than I cook lately. Might as well eat well :huh: I live in Arlington near Rays.... looking to venture beyond the neighborhood spots.

:rolleyes: trailxplr

I'm Dan and I've been in DC for about seven years now.

The last few years my main hobby/addiction has been gastronomy, whether it be cooking, learning wines or really getting to know the DC food scene. In the past year I started a food blog called Read Meat (hence my name here), which is about self-teaching your way to eat and cook through your 20's, with a big focus on DC restaurants. Due to a new job, I've not been able to post nearly enough this past summer but I'm trying to get back on a blogging schedule this fall. In terms of my food roots, I really learned to love food while living in Italy and have since trained my palette and trained myself how to cook, at a reasonably talented level. In terms of favorites now, I'm not sure there's a more satisfying and comforting type of cuisine than Italian, but the last year or two Belgian/French have really become my go-to cuisine.

I've eaten at just about all of the major DC establishments over the years but these days I find myself mostly searching for food that beats expectations at prices that don't hurt quite so much.

Thanks to Don for putting together such a fantastic and helpful site.

Cheers.

Hello:

I'm an Arlington resident who has spent some time in Japan and NYC. I'm from the South so of course anything appropriate for tailgating, baking, or sharing is a + in my cookbook. With a 4 year old in the house, we're pretty good about local family friendly restaurants, but do try to get out to more adult fare as well. I'm also pretty fond of beer, but am not a hop freak. I'd much rather have a milk stout or strong porter.

Desert island cuisine: Thai.

Greatest food disappointment: Failure of Bayou Bakery to gel and open down the street.

Hi, I'm Adam. I used to be a foodie before the kids stopped dealing well with a 2+ hour meal. I'm told they grow up eventually...

On the other hand, as a friend of mine likes to say, "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess". Hence my collection of kitchen gear, scheming to get buying privileges at Restaurant Depot and my subscription to Restaurant Hospitality magazine.

I suppose I'm mostly a baker at home, breads, pastries, desserts. I'm looking forward to my KitchenAid home stand mixer to die so that I can buy a larger, stronger, restaurant version. (Maybe if I do 3 loaves of whole wheat bread and decrease the water by a cup or two...)

My favorite restaurant in the universe is the Hostellerie des Clos in Chablis (http://www.hostellerie-des-clos.fr/).

Greetings!I wanted to cross-post and let you all know you should come to the fall picnic. It's a wonderful way to meet other DR members...in fact, if I may be permitted a quick quotation:

I'm looking forward to meeting lots of first-timers there - it's the best, best, BEST food you will ever have at a picnic, and it's humbling to have such wonderful talents contribute to the dishes, which invariably are mind-boggling and the best-of-the-best!
Cheers,
Rocks.

So...

The picnic is on Sunday, October 25, 2009. Things usually get going around noon and last until we're done! We'll be at Fort Hunt Park, Site C-2
http://gwhsaa.com/ft-hunt-dir.html

Since I'm new here -- and thus, complete and utter proof of the shared wisdom that the DR picnic welcomes all new folks, and is a great way to meet other members! -- I've dug up some picnic information that has been helpful in the past. (Oh, the magic of cutting and pasting! Thanks to those who wrote this up.)

You are all encouraged to bring something of quality. To make sure there's something for everyone, that will also mean vegan and vegetarian offerings need to be part of the spread. Labels will be provided at the picnic where you can identify your dish, whether it is vegan or vegetarian, and list any ingredients (nuts, pork, soy, etc.) that might be of interest to those with allergies or other dietary restrictions.

If you're not into cooking, consider heading to your favorite food store, deli, liquor store, bakery or restaurant and sharing something utterly scrumptious from there. Just bring enough to share with a few folks! There is always a LOT of food; no need to double recipes or anything - a standard sized preparation (i.e. serves 4 to 6) should do the trick.

In addition to your food contribution, please plan to bring either a beverage or some paper goods (we need plates and tableware). Wine and beer are allowed at the picnic site, but non-alcoholic beverages will be welcome too. Cases of water, soda, and drink boxes for the younger attendees are always appreciated.

There will also be a collection jar to defray the costs of the picnic site rental. Suggested minimum contribution is $5/adult, $2-3 per child.

General categories -- if you want some ideas of what people have brought in the past, check out the last picnic's thread[/url]and other previous picnics, too.

Appetizers (finger food, snacks, nibbles, whatever you like to call them)

Sides/Salads

Main Course
1. meat/fish
2. vegetarian/vegan

Desserts/Sweets

Beverages

Misc. (Ed. note: Honestly, I have no idea what food falls into the miscellaneous category and not into any of the above. I'd love to find out.)

Also recommended: camp chairs, coolers, games (Frisbees, soccer balls, ladder golf ... you get the idea)

So, who's in? Please post if you are joining us, and feel free to tell us what you're making. I'll be the one with the Tuscan chicken-liver pate with crostini!

(PM me or email me if you have questions; I may not have the answer but I'll find someone who does and pass the information along!)

~Leigh

Greetings all! I am a recent college grad who has just moved to the area and am thrilled to be out of the small town college environment because of thw wide array of dining and food-shopping options! I look forward to broadening my horizons through this board.

Hello all,

I'm Scott, currently I hail from New York but will be in the DC area soon enough. Given a second life, I could probably devote it to food, though I don't know if I would have the stamina of our greatest chefs. I'm a fan of Dan Barber and the his approach to a more simple yet highly refined cuisine: the emphasis on vegetables, seasonality, and bringing out the differences between varietals. That said, I like nearly any cuisine if it is done well and, as a scientist, and starting to wonder about molecular gastronomy--although I have yet to go there.

If anyone is heading to New York and needs restaurant suggestions, drop me a note.

Looking forward to learning a lot on here.

Cheers,

Scott

Hello All!

My name is David Garber (DG-rad is a blogger pen name). I am excited to be part of this community here, if only to read about what you all are doing in and around DC.

I live in Historic Anacostia, where we need All Of You to open restaurants and cafes. Seriously. As excited as I am, for example, for the new Ray's the Steaks in Ward 7, it's still probably just as quick for an Anacostia resident to hop over to Clarendon or Capitol Hill for a steak.

I run the blog And Now, Anacostia, am on the board of some neighborhood organizations, and know all the developers and what's coming to the neighborhood. I would LOVE to give you a tour and tell you about our fast-changing hood.

OK, jumping off my box now. Again, glad to be here and excited to keep learning about what you all are up to.

DG

About Me and Anacostia (Washingtonian interview)

twitter.com/dg_rad