Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Am I doing this right? (Posting for the first time). Anyways, I've been lurking on this site for a long time, reading up on DC area restaurants. Finally had a question the other day that motivated me to start posting - but by now I've forgotten it! I think it was about Eola restaurant. Or maybe about bubble tea in the District.

Anyways, I live in Chinatown in DC, and I love to eat! I love researching new restaurants, the moment before the left click on 'Menu' on a new restaurant site is so exciting. Will it be inspired? Crazy new? Or just another senator's steak joint. Will it get added to the extravangant splurge list, or can we head there tomorrow night? Will it be authentic ethnic or just another watered down version. Why is the best Asian restaurant in Chinatown a Thai place? Will there ever be great sushi in DC? Can we find authentic Mexican? Can we graduate from our fetish with steakhouses? My mouth waters in anticipation.

I've just joined and I found DR as there was a post about my new website, www.eatyourbooks.com, which prompted me to find the site. Although I don't live in DC (I'm outside Boston) I thought the site looked like it lots of interesting general food discussions, not just about DC.

About me - I'm a Brit who moved to the USA 10 years ago (and am now a citizen). I've never worked professionally in the food industry but I am a very enthusiastic cook and eater in restaurants. I have a huge collection of cookbooks (around 700) and felt I wasn't using them enough as I never had the time to search through them. So I had the idea of an online search engine for the recipes in your cookbooks. Eat your Books has just launched so check it out. We are very open to comments and suggestions for new features.

Hello. I am a lawyer -like so many others here in DC- but I do have a professional food background. I spent a lot time in the kitchen of a French restaurant in Chicago. I also waited tables in a more casual place and worked in a coffeehouse. I would say that learning to season foods properly was the most difficult task I learned while learning to cook in the restaurant. It was also a privilege to work with a team of men and women so committed to their craft. I've never worked with a group of harder working individuals. These experiences gave me an appreciation for finely prepared and seasoned food- and good coffee. Yet, I decided to go to law school in the end- for better or worse.

hello all, a new member very interested in what looks like a great resource. I've been in DC for just over a year now, and have been quite impressed with what's going on in the food scene in the area. I've had a blast exploring the Annandale Korean food area, love all the fresh seafood, am always on the lookout for some good South Indian, and in general devote a great deal of my free time to thinking about new things to eat.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Since Don has written monthly since May to encourage me to post, I thought I would acquiesce this evening. My name is Mary. I have been living in DC on and off since 1994 when I moved to the area for a college. I believe that eating and drinking well are two of life's simple pleasures. I like to cook but hate doing the dishes, which means I go out to eat regularly. I grew up eating French food and learned to cook from an Italian friend so my influences are Mediterranean. I almost never make the same dish twice and try to include at least one new item (fruit, veggie, cheese,...) into my grocery basket every time I shop. I travel extensively overseas for work, mostly to different parts of Africa. When I am home, I like taking advantage of the creativity of DC's craft bartenders and eating all the things you are not supposed to eat when you are in a developing country.

Hi everyone!

My name is Alyssa and I live in NoVA. I'm not in the restaurant industry but love to eat and cook! My time is a little scarce these days as I have an 8 month old daughter but I'm looking forward to introducing her to all kinds of good food soon too!

Hello, after receiving numerous emails gently urging me to sign on and freakin' post already, I am finally taking action! I am in the business of eating and, less frequently but with equal passion, cooking. I signed up here a while ago, but I was only a lurker and not brave enough to post. I am psyched to have access to Don's dining guide and look forward to re-acquainting myself with all the great information here. I eat out a lot and have strong opinions, so hopefully I'll contribute something to the discussion every now and then.

Hi everyone -- another first time poster here. I don't get to eat out all that often (my husband and I have 2 teenagers, and one college tuition to pay), so when we do go out, I'd like it to be really worthwhile. I probably will do a lot of lurking and occasionally looking around for a good special occasion restaurant in DC. Best to all, Peg

Having spent most of my life in DC during which time the restaurant scene was fairly static, it was nice to return from 5 years in NYC and really see a new dynamicism in the restaurant scene. This seems like a great forum in which to discuss all the various new places popping up around the area. I look forward to participating!

Hi! My name is Kim and I am a health counselor/nutrition consultant and have my own private practice based in Greenbelt, MD. I also work with the Greenbelt Co-op to pull together a variety of food education programs for their membership. In my free time, I help run the Greenbelt Farmers Market, cook, eat, garden and bike. Right now I'm really into buckwheat and winter squash. I look forward to connecting with folks!

Warmly,

Kim

Hi, I'm Mick, I'm new!! I'm also the proud co-owner of Mick's New American Bistro in Frederick, MD along with my wife and Chef James,"a family thing". We're at 207 W Patrick St. We've been open 1 year as of Oct. 21. I'm not sure how, but we're still hanging. My son James(Jimmy to me) is the chef. We serve American comfort classics,"with a twist". James did a 4 year apprenticeship at the Breakers in Palm Beach, FL. He was there about 6 years and moved on to Cafe Boulud in Palm Beach. He ended there as the sous chef under Chef Zach Bell, (James Beard nominee) and Daniel Boulud (no intro necessary) before moving back to Frederick to open "Mick's". We serve comfort classics with a fine dining flair but not fine dining prices, in a casual, comfortable atmosphere. We have 2 fireplaces, a full service bar and can seat about 90. Most of our promotion has been word of mouth. We're on Facebook and frederick.com. Give us a look and if you're in Frederick for the day give us a try it will be worth the trip. Friday and Saturdays are busy so a reservation might be helpful if you're on a schedule or just hang at the bar for a short wait. Hope to see you there!

Mick

Hi, I'm Mick, I'm new!! I'm also the proud co-owner of Mick's New American Bistro in Frederick, MD along with my wife and Chef James,"a family thing". We're at 207 W Patrick St. We've been open 1 year as of Oct. 21. I'm not sure how, but we're still hanging. My son James(Jimmy to me) is the chef. We serve American comfort classics,"with a twist". James did a 4 year apprenticeship at the Breakers in Palm Beach, FL. He was there about 6 years and moved on to Cafe Boulud in Palm Beach. He ended there as the sous chef under Chef Zach Bell, (James Beard nominee) and Daniel Boulud (no intro necessary) before moving back to Frederick to open "Mick's". We serve comfort classics with a fine dining flair but not fine dining prices, in a casual, comfortable atmosphere. We have 2 fireplaces, a full service bar and can seat about 90. Most of our promotion has been word of mouth. We're on Facebook and frederick.com. Give us a look and if you're in Frederick for the day give us a try it will be worth the trip. Friday and Saturdays are busy so a reservation might be helpful if you're on a schedule or just hang at the bar for a short wait. Hope to see you there!

Mick

Thanks Mick, and please feel free (or someone else feel free) to start a Mick's thread in the Restaurants and Dining forum. Welcome, and thank you for posting!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce my self and Plume at The Jefferson Hotel. I'm in charge of all Food & Beverage operations at The Hotel as well as Plume Restaurant General Manager. Yes, very long days :-)

I'm Italian and have been in Washington DC for the past 4 years. The last 3 entirely dedicated to The Jefferson project, recently reopened after 30 months of major renovations. A great passion for hospitality, 5 star service and of course for food and beverage. My background goes through Relais & Chateaux, Small Luxury Hotels of the World, Leading Hotels, from France, to Italy, to Morocco, Switzerland. I'm a graduate of Hospitality Management School of Lausanne.

I will spare you from the description of The Hotel as it's my understanding that this blog concentrate mostly of the restaurant scene in town.

Plume concept is born around the end of 2007 after many months of research on the history of the building, competitive surveys, chef research, staff recruitment to fit the concept, and of course reading a lot on Thomas Jefferson's passions for traveling, food and wine, botanics. We wanted to create a restaurant with a solid soul, where guest could feel at home, could learn something about history, and a romantic scene with traditional elements, trying to stay away as much as possible from the typical stiffness of restaurants of this caliber. Recruiting people with a true passion for this job, people that could smile at the idea of serving and cooking the best meal. The idea is to create Washington best small luxury restaurant, providing 3* MIchelin level food and service. I flew myself 3 times in Europe for recruitment, and multiple times to all corners of the United States to find the perfect fit. Our fantastic Chef Damon Gordon has worked for names such Roux brothers, Alain Ducasse as executive. HIs classic culinary background, reflects our interest in doing somehow what Thomas Jefferson did at the end of the 18th century. He was american ambassador in France for 2 years and he brought along his cook to have him trained in french cuisine. The cuisine of Plume can be described as Classic Contemporary.

Our Sommelier Michael Scaffidi, former French Laundry and Greenbrier sommelier, worked closely with me for over 1 year to develop a wine list that would reflect Thomas Jefferson's incredible passions for the finest wines of France, Italy, Spain and Germany, but at the same time affordable and at everyone's reach. TJ, during his 3 months travels throughout the wine region of Europe, wrote the classification of Best premier grand cru of Bordeaux 70 years before the official classification of Napoleon the third of 1855. He also loved wines from Burgundy and Cote du Rhone; a great passion also for Riesling and Madeira. The challenge was how to make such a collection of names affordable, right? Well, we decided to lower the usual mark-up, but also trying to get most of these vineries to bottle or ship half bottles uniquely for us. We currently have almost 250 labels in half size. The other almost 1000 labels are of mostly regular 750 format. We were trying to think on how many times we found ourself with a guest, willing to have a nice wine, but realizing that a bottle wold be too much, often interested in both, a white and than a red, and forced so in the by the glass selection. This was our answer to the problem. In addition 55% of our wine offer are listed at less than 100 dollars.

Plume it's a special place, but please don't think we are the pretentious spot that many people think we are. We might be ambitious and the space appears to be formal, but Plume it's the result of few passionate people that work together with humbleness and trying to give the best they can to make the experience memorable.

Also to mention it's Quill and PLume Bar. Quill it's our lounge where Alex Holzer, mixologist previously at La Pergola in Rome, infuses liquor every month (look for the White truffle infused Vodka starting next week), grows herbs and prepares fresh juices everyday. Plume Bar it's our pre or after dinner small intimate bar, only 7 seats (5 at the bar and 1 table of 2), where you'll find Madeiras starting from 1780 and Armagnacs starting form 1893.

Anyway, we really look forward to hosting you all and tell you more about it. Ask form me whenever you come, I would be very happy to show you more secrets of the Jefferson...

You can all have a look at our Menus at www.jeffersondc.com

I hope this was not too long as introduction :-) and I look forward to start posting and reading your feedback on Plume.

Mario

Hi. My name is John Fox. I live in Union, N.J. and heard about DonRockwell somewhere on another forum. I joined, but then forgot that I did. Thanks, Don for reminding me. I go by my name and also as hotdoglover. I am a hot dog fanatic who has posted extensively on various food forums. I run the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I look forward to lurking and posting; especially about hot dogs.

Hi. My name is John Fox. I live in Union, N.J. and heard about DonRockwell somewhere on another forum. I joined, but then forgot that I did. Thanks, Don for reminding me. I go by my name and also as hotdoglover. I am a hot dog fanatic who has posted extensively on various food forums. I run the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I look forward to lurking and posting; especially about hot dogs.

John is a Hotdog-GOD. He knows EVERYTHING about hotdogs. There is no peer to him. Howya doing? :(

I also received an email reminder to log in and introduce myself. I'm not in the food or wine business but do eat and drink my share of food and wine. We have friends in the DC area and I found this board when researching restaurants. It has provided invaluable information. Many thanks.

I live in the Wheaton neighborhood of Silver Spring, MD, and I especially enjoy the variety of Asian and other restaurants here. I'm a fan of good beer, too. I don't get out as much as I used to so when I do I like it to be worthwhile. For today's holiday (11/11) I'm looking forward to eating lunch out somewhere. So here's a recommendation: the lunch counter at the Super H Korean supermarket on Georgia Ave between University and Randolph. Try the SoonDooBoo - spicy, red tofu stew with seafood!

Jeff

I am posting for the first time in response to one (of several) email reminders from Don. I've been meaning to post for a while, but have not found the time until now (a federal holiday).

I am an attorney currently working in the federal government. I live in Northern Virginia, and enjoy food, wine, craft beers and visiting farmers markets. I enjoy cooking, though I usually cook only on the weekends. I don't get out as much as I would like (or even as much as my wife does with her friends). As a result, much of the restaurant food I eat comes more from the likes of Amoo's Kabob or Ichi Ban Sushi, which are favorites of the kids, rather than some of the nicer places downtown.

Now that I've finally posted, I'll try to participate in the forums. Maybe I'll post a review of the take out at the Mandarin Oriental hotel, which is an adjunct to the employee dining room and has some very tasty pastries and lunch fare. I don't think that it has been mentioned here that I have seen.

Greetings all,

This is my first post on the boards, and I wanted to introduce myself here before appearing elsewhere. Most critically:

My name is Inox, but I am NOT in any way affiliated with the INOX Restaurant.

...it's simply a nickname that I've had since 1986, and most of the people I know (including some on these boards) know me by that name.

I live in Crystal City, and I am very interested in local and sustainable foods, as well as in ethnic foods (esp. Korean).

I look forward to participating in this community.

--Inox

Why do I get this funny feeling that he has met Holly Moore at some point in the past?

(Welcome John!) :(

Hello! I'm doing fine. We had our 6th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour about 2 months ago. Pool Boy,maybe you can make the next one. I've corresponded with Holly, but never met him in person. We are looking into doing a Philadelphia Hot Dog Tour together; possibly in the Spring.

I'm writing my first post, as so many others have. My name is Amanda, I'm 24, and food has always been a passion of mine. I love cooking, restaurants, farmers markets, watching others cook, cooking classes, eating, planning menus, dinner parties, reading about culinary trends... I'm basically an enthusiast for all things gastronomic. When I was very young (5-9) and cooking shows barely existed, I would watch infomercials on pasta makers and rotisseries! I must have been born with it.

I work at Corduroy in DC as the hostess and also as private events planner. My last job was running a research study on smoking expectancies for a hospital, so as you can guess my job in the restaurant has little to do with what I studied in college. I am what has become the stereotypical 24-year-old... interested in so much and saddened by the thought of choosing just one career path :(

My general manager actually told me about this site and I am happy to join. I've been a member of Chowhound, a very active member of Yelp.com, and an avid food blog reader. I'm happy to be involved professionally in the DC dining scene and appreciate having a forum for communication.

Cheers!

Amanda

Hello, this is my first post to the web site, so it might seem a little awkward.

I am a line cook and have worked at various restaurants in the DC/VA area. I have experience in charcuterie, baking and pastry, and the hot line (no master/expert by any means though).

I attended the Culinary Institute of America and continue to love learning all there is to know about cooking.

Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays you can catch me at Farmers' Markets in DC, where I volunteer to learn more about our local agriculture and food businesses. It's really fun and a great way to be involved.

Can't wait to see all the website has to offer.

Hello, this is my first post to the web site, so it might seem a little awkward.

I am a line cook and have worked at various restaurants in the DC/VA area. I have experience in charcuterie, baking and pastry, and the hot line (no master/expert by any means though).

I attended the Culinary Institute of America and continue to love learning all there is to know about cooking.

Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays you can catch me at Farmers' Markets in DC, where I volunteer to learn more about our local agriculture and food businesses. It's really fun and a great way to be involved.

Can't wait to see all the website has to offer.

Welcome, MollyAP! Kudos for your volunteer service and I look forward to your perspectives.

Hello everyone! Thanks to Jason for turning me on to this site after I lost faith in Yelp.

My name is Nevra - it's a Turkish name. I grew up in Sonoma County where we raised various animals and grew a lot of our food, including artichokes, pomagranates, quince, asian pears, persimmons, guava, and figs. My mother used to pick the petals from the damask roses and use them to make the syrup for baklava. And shed stuff grape leaves from the yard with meat or rice for her dolmas. The Joy of Cooking was the first grown-up book I ever read - and loved!

I also love:

- Charlie Trotter, Jamie Oliver, Michael Pollan and Joel Salatin

- When meat is more of an accent ingredient than the main ingreident in the dish

- Always having home-made chicken stock in my freezer

- Courthouse and Dupont farmer's markets

- Turning people on to new foods, or foods they thought they didnt like

- Food from around the world, breads and pastries from Germany/Austria, wine from CA/OR/WA and Italy

- Composting

My pet peeves:

- Tasting sugar where it doesnt belong (bread, soups, its even in the pizza they serve at my local Whole Foods yuck!)

- High fructose corn syrup

- Hydrogenated oils

- American Nutella (I buy the real deal from The Italian Store)

- Butter that isnt cultured

- Corn-fed ruminant meat (beef/lamb/goat)

- Fad diets (Atkins, South Beach, low-fat, etc) or any food product that makes health claims

- Big food lobbies

What do I do for a living? I sell data mining software, naturally. ;-)

Happy to be a part of this community.

Hey everyone, my name is Phil, I live in Gaithersburg and I am very excited about becoming a part of this community.

Although I love all food, I am especially fond of all Asian cuisines and consider myself to be very adventurous when it comes to eating.

I am always looking for new places to try.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Phil

Howdy, I'm a student currently in Charlottesville, VA and was led to this board by your sleuthing and following of Peter Chang's new place in town. Originally from Wisconsin, I've lived in Minneapolis, Sarasota, Madison and now here in Charlottesville. I've traveled around the states a bit and always enjoy a new place to eat.

Hi everyone! I've been a reader for a long time, but only just registered so that I could pick brains more knowledgeable than mine about finding flavoring powders for making macarons. I also write about restaurants/bars/food/drink for The Hill is Home. I wouldn't call myself a reviewer of food or drink, so much as of experiences, if that makes sense. Anyway, so far folks have been really helpful in my quest to find flavoring powders and pointing me to other threads on making (and buying) macarons - thanks!

Ansonia Wines grew out of a Philadelphia lawyer's sabbatical in France in the late 1990s, when père et fils (and the rest of the family) lived in the Burgundy countryside near Cluny - less than an hour from the Côe d'Or. We came to know excellent producers and we came to appreciate how much better wine tastes before it suffers through the US distribution system. Now we taste in Europe a few times a year, looking for the wine of artisan producers - some famous and some unknown.

Ansonia Imports was formed to import such wines with the utmost care, keeping the wine cool at every step of its journey. Burgundies in particular need such attention, and we are convinced that the extra effort pays benefits in the cellar and in the glass. We think our success in supplying wine to the finest restaurants in Washington and Philadelphia shows the value of that investment. The Ansonia Wines DC Shop (1828 18th St. NW) will offer wines given the same care.

Mark Wilcox (père)
Tom Wilcox (fils)

Hi, my name is Matt and I also received an email to post. Moved out here from Albuquerque four years ago and discovered this site about two years ago. It always gives me great up to date information about restaurants in the area. I currently live in Arlington and frequent Ravi Kabob, Hong Kong Palace and Ray's Hell Burger. I work in DC and am always looking for new lunch spots near 18th and K.

Hi y'all. I'm a long time lurker who's just getting around to do the introductory post thing. I live and work in Bethesda, doing research at NIH, so I'm familiar with most of the restaurants around Bethesda.

I'm not a real foodie or anything, but I like to eat good food. We (wife & 2 kids) tend to eat at more budget places rather than fancy. And being of Taiwanese descent we eat a lot of Asian food. Some of our favorite Asian places are Oriental East for dim sum, Yosaku for sushi, and Woo Mi Garden for Korean barbeque. I also have a fondness for brunch. My fav simple, no-nonsense brunch place is Old Georgetown Grill.

Oh, and the best meal I've had in recent memory? I took my wife to Obelisk for our 10th anniversary. The food was amazing, and the service was outstanding.

Hello, my name is Christina and I am new to this. I am currently visiting DC from Fremantle in Western Australia which as about as far away as you can get without starting to come back again!

I heard this was a good site for restaurant information and I like eating out. It's all a little different here so it's good to have some advice. Have been to a few places since I arrived. Tonight was at Dino's in Cleveland Park which was good and great value.

I am here for the birth of my new gradson who is now five weeks old so hope to be returning to DC regularly over the next few years.

Best wishes to everyone.

Hello, my name is Christina and I am new to this. I am currently visiting DC from Fremantle in Western Australia which as about as far away as you can get without starting to come back again!

I heard this was a good site for restaurant information and I like eating out. It's all a little different here so it's good to have some advice. Have been to a few places since I arrived. Tonight was at Dino's in Cleveland Park which was good and great value.

I am here for the birth of my new gradson who is now five weeks old so hope to be returning to DC regularly over the next few years.

Best wishes to everyone.

Welcome to our fair city, Christina, and congrats on the new grandson. Having met one or two of your countrypersons doing the tourist thing over the years, I can warn you about some of the concerns: w-a-a-a-y too much food. That will certainly be the case with national chain restaurants. If you want an appropriate amount of well-prepared food, then you will have to pay for it. Dino was certainly a good place to start. I highly recommend that you try at least one meal at Corduroy for the freshest American ingredients cooked to their simplest perfection. Who knew that one could dream about cauliflower soup?

Best wishes to everyone.

We had house guests from Fremantle a few weeks ago. Curt--an old friend-- and Louise were on something of a world tour and spent three nights with us. Dino is one of my favorites, but they weren't with us long enough to get down there. My wife and I just had our first meal at Masala Art, an excellent new Indian restaurant on Wisconsin Ave., in Tenleytown. It's probably your best for Indian in NW DC....and by our first experience, one of the best in the metro area. Superb Indian food, reasonably priced, with some dishes you don't see on many Indian menus.

Congrats on your grandson! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Hi,

I am new to the site, so I'll bite.

I live in Old Town, Alexandria. I am interested in local restaurants and in cooking, especially baking and historical recipes. My current challenge is eating out with a four year old.

I am looking forward to learning from this community.

Becky Menes

Today is a very snowy one and the biggest accumulation that Washington has seen in years. I am bundled up with a hot drink in hand, a computer by my side and a crackling blaze in the fireplace.

This is my first post and I am excited to be joining this community. My wife and I have lived all over the world and enjoy dining out and learning and sharing with others about what makes a pleasurable dining experience and where to enjoy it. We love planning diners and outings and I hope to learn much more about the DC and Baltimore food community, share some thoughts on places we go and what we like and why and learn from the very valuable and rich expertise out there.

Happy Holidays to all!!

Reporting in from Bowie in Prince George's County with a first post. Also a first time grandfather at 73. Retired after a career serving in and broadcasting to Africa for the Voice of America. Then spent 5 years with National Public Radio working on their then brand new Web site. Now enjoying our two Jack Russell terrors, watching and photographing birds and scenes in our back yard and eating out.

I hope to find out who's been eating what in Prince George's and Anne Arundel, and sharing what I've enjoyed.

Regards