Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hello all,

I'm Star Straf, my sweetie is Pooch and we are new to the area having moved to Alexandria, VA last fall. Pooch used to live in DC a decade ago and we have both been in Lawrence KS for him to work on his PhD at KU. We have a dog (Sheltie) and a cat that let us share their space in a townhouse rental in Alexandria until our house back in KS sells and we start house hunting for them.

We enjoy eating thus our interest in the board. Pooch does all the cooking and I do the dishes. His specialties are biscotti, pasta, and Christmas Lasagna (wish it happened more often). I only bake once a year to make Cranberry Bread to take to our thanksgiving feast / gathering of the tribe.

When eating out we enjoy sushi, mexican, good burgers, and a huge variety of food.

We have probally tried 30 places so far

The places we have found that are on our 'try again' list are

Murphy's pub http://www.murphyspub.com/ which have great burgers and a yummy brunch

HeeBeen Korean Grill Buffet http://www.heebeen.com Lots of great food with a wide selection

La Tasca http://www.latascausa.com Great selection of Tapas

Looking forward to being part of the board,

Star

hi,

my name is peter and i'm just making my first post.

i'm glad to have found another solid online source for local restaurants and looking forward to being able to access the guide now!

I'm not a big city person, but I've learned to appreciate having access to a wonderful variety of food in the DC area. My favorite dining experience has been eating at Thai Xing. I enjoy taking friends to good ethnic restaurants, often a new experience for them.

I'm originally from eastern NC, so I appreciate and miss dearly good vinegar-based bbq. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist in the DC area :angry:

regards....

Hi,

My name is Tim. I'm the bar manager at Scion Restaurant in Dupont Circle. Just wanted to say hello to everyone. From what I can tell, this is a great place to share honest opinions and receive constructive criticism. I look forward to getting to know all of you, either on this site or in person. Thanks.

Thanks, Danny, for suggesting that. I too am a relative newcomer, having only posted twice although I joined the board several months ago. I used to live in Annandale and worked in Bethesda. My husband and I retired to South Central Pennsylvania where there is no restaurant scene at all, but I still get to the Northern Virginia area on a regular basis and occasionally to suburban Maryland so like to keep up with what's going on.

Barbara Hammonds

Clearville, PA

Hi, been following the site for a couple months, liked what I saw so figured I'd go ahead and join. I moved to the DC area about five years ago. Lived in Chinatown for a couple, then bought a place near Tyson's Corner. Love exploring the local area and finding those hidden restaurant gems! Hopefully we can turn up a few more here! :angry:

Hello. I'm Luke, the "perfect" (definitely in scare quotes) half of the adventurous cooking blog--thepassionfruits.com--home of killer cocktails, Farmers' Market Challenges, and other delicious diversions. Thrilled to be here with D.C.'s dedicated foodies and to have access to the scuttlebutt on where to eat in D.C. I don't actually eat out that often, so when I do, it has to be awesome, and I'm sure that the intel here will be super helpful.

Hello, I am Bill Madden aka Maddbrewer.

I have been brewing in and around the DC Metro area since 1995 when I graduated from the University of California at Davis, Masterbrewers Program. I am best known for working at Capitol City Brewing Company for almost 10 Years and resently finished a three year stint at Vintage 50 Restaurant and Brew Lounge in Leesburg.

Currently, I am just starting construction of my own brewpub in Falls Church to be known as Mad Fox Brewing Company which will brew on site and have a full service restaurant. The food focus will be pizza, sandwiches and salads and we anticipate having 8 to 10 plus draft beers on tap and up to three cask ales along with house brewed root beer.

We plan to be open in June of this year but that appears to be a moving target.

Found this web site while surfing about, liked what I saw and decided to sign up. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Bill

Hello. My name is Jaime, and I am a foodie.

It's a little like admitting you're an alcoholic, only without the social repercussions and 12-step programs. A foodie's only real worries are food prices and an ever-expanding waistline. The little bit of extra money I earn (and oftentimes even when it's not extra) goes toward feeding my addiction (literally). Fact: when faced with paying bills, I once chose food over electricity, splurging instead on an expensive gourmet meal at an upscale restaurant. I am not proud of this. But I will always remember how amazing that meal tasted. Sorry, BGE.

I'm excited to be here. I look forward to hearing about your culinary adventures (and mishaps)! :angry:

Hello, I'm Jenna and I've been on the board for a while now, but I've never posted before. My husband (chaofun) and I are very into food and wine, especially local and sustainable foods. I enjoy baking, gardening and entertaining, and I'm trying to learn more about home cheese-making.

I look forward to getting more involved with the board!

I'm Kim, and I live in Merrifield (Falls Church), VA with my husband, dog, and cat. I've enjoyed this site for a long time, but have never posted. (I got the email encouraging me to, so here I am.)

I appreciate the wealth of information I always find here, so thanks to everyone who contributes. :angry:

Hello Fellow Food and Wine Lovers,

My name is Summer Whitford, better known as the Food and Wine Diva. I live in Gaithersburg, MD but my work often takes me into DC. I am a trained chef/pastry chef and writer and live with my husband Mark, a trained chef and now master renovator and carpenter, and my 22-year old, talkative kitty named Maeve. In the interest of full disclosure, I consult, write, and teach about food, wine, culture, and travel and market and promote wine, beer, and spirits for wineries, wholesalers, and importers. My blog is Delicious Prose where I serve up small servings of life's pleasures. My motto is "Dine Well. Live Fully. Travel Often." and I always enjoy meeting other people who are nuts about food and wine. I can't believe that it has taken me this long to join and I am looking forward to keeping up with what's going on in our area.

As they say in Finland, "Kippis!" or Cheers!

Summer

thanks don,

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Chris and I've grown up around the D.C., mostly NOVA, but stints in DC as well. I'm formerly of the restaurant biz, but as a recent college grad, (on the ten year undergrad plan) I have the luxury of enjoying the nicer establishments instead of laboring in them. I've worked in five restaurants listed in the washingtonians most recent top 25 of their top 100. and seven overall in the top 100. I hope I can add something to this site, and look forward to reading the polarizing opinions on the DC Metro food and beverage scene.

thanks,

Chris

Newbie here - San Francisco expat and raging food and wine snob. Have a like-hate relationships with DC restaurants. Wine lists here are maddeningly mediocre, with a few exceptions. Best meal in DC in the last year: Marcel's. Favorite bottle of wine at the moment: Vajra Langhe Rosso 2006, which can be found at Cork on 14th for a very modest $36/bottle. My hood: Logan/Dupont. Newest find: Siroc. Favorite basic go-to: Pizzeria Paradiso. Wish there was better: Mexican food in DC.

Looking forward to imbibing in the wisdom of donrockwell.com!

DCsmalls

Greetings, DonRockwellites.

My name is Sandy Christmus and I'm a new member. I don't work in the food industry, but I like to see behind the scenes and learn more about the food/drink culture in the area. I live in Vienna and don't venture into DC proper very often except for the occasional touristy day or a special meal or beer tasting event (and every home DC United game).

I would call myself more of a drinkie than a foodie. I brew my own beer and I love trying different styles. I enjoy wine and plan on making some in the near future. I've got the makings for mead, I just haven't jumped in, yet. I recently renovated my basement and now have a full bar with 2 beer taps. I'm getting into spirits a lot more since the bottles are not stacked away in a cabinet. I'm enjoying the new cocktail culture (Todd Thrasher may be my hero:-)

I love the science behind the food. I'm a veterinarian with a BS in microbiology from Clemson University, so I'm a scientist at heart. My first batch of beer was in a food microbiology lab in 1987 or so. I like making food and ingredients from scratch. I'm enjoying the renaissance of homemade bar ingredients. I've made my own grenadine and orange bitters, and have plans to make tonic water or orgeat syrup soon. I giggle every time a pass a store shelf with pre-made simple syrup for sale. I'm a pretty good baker, but I don't cook well. Give me a recipe and I'm a maniac. Ask me to make something that tastes good without instructions and I'm lost. I'm amazed at what a good cook can do with their knowledge and some ingredients.

This is me in a nutshell. ('Oh, look at me. I'm in a nutshell!") I look forward to learning more about the scene in the area. See you on the boards.

I have been in DC for close to 30 years after growing up and attending college in NY. It is sometimes hard to believe that I have now been in the DC area much longer then I had ever been in NY.

I have seen restaurants come and go. More often then not the ones that failed - failed for good reason. The successful ones - through luck or skill or timing - found their success by providing us with pleasure - excitement and hopefully good food.

The best part of this forum- for me - is to maybe find some of the spots that may have enormous potential - but have been unable to strike a chord with the public. If we can learn about these spots - and support them - they may find the time, money and exposure to find critical mass...

I've been lurking on DR for several months and just got my push to finally post. I've been in DC for 17 years and eaten in a majority of the restaurants as they've come and gone. I love food and a great meal and like reading your opinions about places so I can pick new places intelligently. Once we unbury from the snow and I can venture beyond my Capitol Hill haunts, I'll post about new places. In the mean time let's all sit back, have some good food and wine and watch the snow melt - until May.

Hello, my name is Javier Baquero and I love Food & Wine. I currently run the Fine Dining & Hotel Division for Washington Wholesale for Pinnacle House. I am new to the site and was referred by one of my Territory Sales managers. I look forward to reading and posting some Dining experiences. Thanks. Javier.

I'm Nick, an ex caterer and life long food experimenter in Baltimore. I know this site was created in DC, but I hope there is a Baltimore board (I am very Baltimorecentric) that I an sometimes use as an alternative to Chowhound. I love to cook, wish I had more people than my junk loving daughter to cook for, and will eat any organ that is presented to me, apart from fish eggs. I don't quite see the point of searching for the "best" sushi, as they are all made to a similar recipe. As you can see, I am fairly opinionated; but I am in this to get and share pleasure, not to put anyone down or be competitive. You don't need to know culinary terms to love food!

I'm Nick, an ex caterer and life long food experimenter in Baltimore. I know this site was created in DC, but I hope there is a Baltimore board (I am very Baltimorecentric) that I an sometimes use as an alternative to Chowhound. I love to cook, wish I had more people than my junk loving daughter to cook for, and will eat any organ that is presented to me, apart from fish eggs. I don't quite see the point of searching for the "best" sushi, as they are all made to a similar recipe. As you can see, I am fairly opinionated; but I am in this to get and share pleasure, not to put anyone down or be competitive. You don't need to know culinary terms to love food!

Baltimore Restaurants and Dining Guide. Welcome!!

Richard, aka Smokeater55 signing on now and new to Don Rockwell, be gentle. I found the Rock board via Chowhound & have lurked off and on. I'm a local grown Rockville, Maryland product having roamed to school in Boston and San Francisco oh so many years ago. I came back to Silver Spring, Maryland in the 80's. Work did get me out on the road a lot, and thus I got to try flavor in a lot of domestic towns; the food that is regional to so many areas is to die for. It may sound corny but I think US food in so many stripes is cool. Be it Philly, NY, Southern, California, SW, NW, Fine, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Country, PA Dutch, Italian, BBQ, Creole, Cajun - OK, I know enough you get the idea, just don't ping me back that I forgot one. Yea it did not come from the US but it is all here now. Or be a purest and tell me just what "American" food is? Would it be the yellow plastic cheese, I hope not!

My wife and I love to cook Thai, Chinese or Indian in huge party style. As one may catch from my on-line name, I'm a food smoker for fun, love to do pork, beef, fish, ribs, peppers, what-ever. I'm happy with anything between everyday home cooking & ethnic; foe gras & country ham; sushi & good omelette but, don't always like eating my vegetables.

We are wine nuts; love to drive around the VA and Napa/Sonoma wineries country. I mix a wacky Tiki drink if I do say so myself, if I could only recall the recipes!! We love eating out, thus gain the thrill of reading about new places. Do our best to stay out of downtown (god I hate the DC traffic & metro) - so it must be a really good place or we focus on Silver Spring, Wheaton, Rockville perhaps up to Baltimore and Annapolis. As we are boaters, we like to get to a number of the spots on the Bay.

My short list of restaurants: Ruan Thai, Minibar, Inn at Little Washington, Vidalia, Grace Garden, Jaleo and Lewnes. Still hold my hopes for Hollywood East to open again for Dim Sum. Thanks Don for the site!! I so look forward to learning from the folks on this board about new places and will offer notes on what I learn along the way.

Cheers!

Richard

Hey,

I've long been a "lurker" on DonRockwell.com but I'm now happy to be a member. I'm currently the weekly food columnist for fallschurchtimes.com, an online community newspaper in the City of Falls Church. I look forward to giving my two cents about alot of the cheap ethnic eats in the NOVA area--those are the types of places I tend to patronize the most. I'm obsessed with the Eden Center, Thai food, anything rolled, wrapped, or stuffed, Persian stews, noodles of all kinds and tons of other stuff. I just love to eat.

I'll be posting under the same name that I've been using for chow.com: CoconutMilk.

CoconutMilk

hello, i'm andia. born in the south but raised in the north, i'm always on the lookout for exceptional southern cooking and truly authentic jamaican (yes, i know, i probably need to visit jamaica again for that, but hope springs eternal). my tastes are still somewhat pedestrian -- no veal, lamb, goat, sweetbreads, or game of any kind -- and while i'd like to develop my palate, i'm not particularly interested in broadening it b/c certain things just don't appeal to me on an aesthetic level. i want to find the very best of what i like already -- the aforementioned southern (including low-country, creole/cajun, and soul food), and jamaican, plus fusion, italian, and thai -- and become a more discriminating diner.

Hi,

I love good Italian food and wine from almost anywhere., although not the pink kind...OK, so maybe a Bandol Rose on the right day. I love to cook but don't bake much. My other hobbies are travel, especially Italy, attending Theater, and patronizing good restaurants. I used to travel every week for business in the US & Canada, but gave that up when the time spent going through airports at each end of the flight was as long as the business purpose itself. That has led to more local dining. The options just keep getting better. Can't wait until things are back to pre-blizzard normal.

Hey folks, I'm Dave. Moved to Alexandria about 3 years ago, and stumbled upon this site trying to figure out what is in the hot chocolate at Ray's the steaks... I still don't know what's in it, but it sure is delicious.

Suspicions generally swirl around these three areas, or some combination thereof:

a) secret stash of vanilla Frusen Glädjé, melted

b) Bolivian marching powder

c) just a kiss of cinnamon (we're not sure from whose lips, but Landrum always seems to be nearby)

Hi there... signed up to follow some of the egullet exodus folks, though I don't get to DC often... I know a good resource when I see one. Now that I'm going to get pruned if I don't post, I'm saying hi.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm cdh over in eGullet and mouthfulsfood land... randomly chose another login to avoid falling afoul the eG paranoia about contributing to the competition when I was running their homebrewing class over there... now that's fully wound down and I'm emeritus there, so coming out of the shadows here.

Hello ;)

I have been one of those "ghost" members on this website for a while, but after receiving an email from Mr. Don Rockwell today, I hurried over to post something!

I do visit this website often though, Mr. Rockwell! Just not sure what to write about or reply... +_+ Finally after today, I will be able browse through the website, and even have access to the exclusive dining guide section, without having to worry if I will be taken away my access!! Yay !!! :P

Hey everyone,

My name is Josh Trout and I'm a foodie/ambitious home cook from Frederick, MD. My only tie to the industry is that I work for the company that runs the Volt website. The company is also located in the office above Volt, which means I get to eat there fairly often.

Hey everyone,

My name is Josh Trout and I'm a foodie/ambitious home cook from Frederick, MD. My only tie to the industry is that I work for the company that runs the Volt website. The company is also located in the office above Volt, which means I get to eat there fairly often.

Your screen name made me laugh. Wecome!

Hi, everyone. My name is Rob. First taste of the food industry was at a pizza place in the early 90's...best job ever. Since That time I've had many jobs unrelated to cooking -- none of which I loved -- which ultimately led to me making the decision to go to culinary school and become a cook. So here I am, an unemployed cook who took off half a year to learn spanish in South America -- and now I'm back in the U.S. looking for work and working on an idea for a restaurant in Ecuador.

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughtful, witty and ultimately insightful posts...if you expect the same from me, I apologize ahead of time.

Rob

Hello All,

My name is Tony and I have been "sitting on the sidelines" of Don Rockwell the past few months. I am a foodie and have worked as a chef in several Northern Virginia restaurants over the past 11 years. I look forward to becoming a voice on here. Thanks.