Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hello, my name is Janine. After receiving the request to write a post in my email today, I thought it might be appropriate to post a recent press release for my client. The focus of my work is on concept/branding/business development/PR/Community Relations, though, I have been known to work in operations. During football season, you can find me on Sundays at The Rhino Bar & Pumphouse doing anything and everything or during snow season at FLY Lounge Aspen. Wines, mixology and food all intrigue me, along with people and esthetics. Right now, I'm excited to try the Oregon's 2008 Pinot Noir release. If anyone has input on the 2008 Oregon Pinot Noirs, please email me.

Cheers & Bon Appetit!

Janine Schoonover

202 631 6527

jakesrubin@aol.com

SERENDIPITOUS MAGIC COMING TO THE CORNER

OF WISCONSIN & M STREETS, NW

Washington, DC March 12, 2010: Serendipity3, the landmark New York City restaurant, a favorite amongst celebrities, is coming to Georgetown early summer. The original Serendipity3 opened in New York City in 1954 and has continued captivating restaurant goers with its whimsical magic, sinfully delicious comfort food, outrageous desserts and motto that too much is never enough. Serendipity3 DC will unite the universal palate through its menu options, daily specials and special order items in a classic setting with an over-the-top atmosphere. Serendipity3 DC will offer something for everyone: families, couples, locals, tourists and friends out-on-the town. The cheerful, gracious staff, Serendipity3 Ambassadors, host a festive dining experience. Generous portions cleverly presented contribute to the WOW factor, especially after savoring the first scrumptious bite. Specialties of the house, including foot long hot dogs, phenomenal burgers, over-sized innovative salads, towering sandwiches, delectable omelettes and signature entrees that offer something for everyone. Naturally, it wouldn’t be Serendipity3 if the cuisine, desserts and drinks don’t have a tasty, surprising twist. A specialty drink menu has a range of choices from the famous Frrrozen Hot Chocolate to the Cotton Candy Martini. Of course, the infamous Golden Opulence Sundae - the Guinness Book of World Records ice cream sundae - for $1,000 will be offered. A pastry chef is available to design your special order cake for whatever the occasion. Private party rooms are available for birthday parties, events and business meetings. The gift shop provides unique gifts and memorable tokens for your serendipitous moments.

Serendipity means a seeming gift for finding things accidentally. As fate has it, the Serendipity3 experience will be easy to find at 3150 M Street, NW, Washington, DC in the heart of Georgetown. Currently, Serendipity3 is located in New York City, NY; the famed Las Vegas Strip, NV and Boca Raton, FL with South Beach, FL coming soon.

Everyone is excited to unite the universal palate, sweet tooth and quest for magical, whimsical, serendipitous moments in the Nation’s capitol.

Hello everyone, my name is Kevin. I have been in the industry for over twenty years, dishwasher, server, bartender, but mostly as a chef. I switched over to baking about a year ago. Recently moved out to Warrenton from Alexandria. Looking forward to some good tips for dining out here in Fauquier/Rappahannock. I am always on the lookout for a good hole-in-the-wall and will share my successes with you all. Thanks.

I am a new member, a Virginia attorney affiliated with restaurants for over 30 years, as an owner, counsel and (most often) a bar patron. Hate places that use the trendy flatware that looks like twigs and serve their product in whacky sized plates. Otherwise, I am easy to please.

Hello Don Rockwellians!

My name is Molly Malone - yes you can laugh now it is my birth name, and I wanted to join the site because I am an avid foodie and love to cook! I heard about this site from the Peregrine Espresso folks in Eastern Market (some of the best coffee in dc) and decided to join. I hope to meet some of you at a happy hour in the future.

Molly

Greetings from Annapolis! I was born in DC, grew up in the MD 'burbs and moved to Annapolis over 30 years ago. I am a former event planner, corporate yacht charter broker, caterer and for a short while owned an easy-meal prep store called "Let's Eat!". Big mistake! Regardless, my passion for good food and search for the best places to find it has not diminished. Love to cook, read cookbooks, read about cooking, watch food tv (faves are Anne Burrell, Alton Brown and Julia!) and generally immerse myself in food trivia. Need I say more? Look forward to hearing lots of good stuff here...

Hello. My name is Michael, and I'm an on-again, off-again DC resident since 2000, my latest stint since November of 2008.

I work in politics and government, but my real love is food. Cooking and eating.

I love good ingredients, my hobby is preparing labor intensive meals (much to the enjoyment and occasional chagrin of my girlfriend), hate food trends (although I do like cupcakes, but won't wait in line for them...), and spent way too much of my disposable income on restaurants and groceries.

My ideal restaurant is neighborhood-y, seasonal, comfortable enough for a weeknight, but exciting enough for a weekend. A place I'd take a date and my parents. My current two favorites that fit that description: Ris and Hank's Oyster Bar.

Looking forward to being a part of this community. I've been reading for a while.

G'day food lovers:

I'm a new member that likes to cook but loves to eat, especially if it's a pig roast. I battle the crowds for the great local produce at the Falls Church farmers market every Saturday; holler if you see a guy wearing an MSU shirt. The only other places I go to buy food are Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Costco. My favorite local restaurants are Dino and Ray's the Steaks. If anyone knows of better extra virgin olive oil than the greek Spitiko brand, please share. I highly recommend that you travel to any Great Lake state soon and enjoy freshwater walleye, perch, or smallmouth bass before the asian carp wipes them all out.

Cheers,
Spartan

Hello all,

I'm a born and raised DC native. I love trying new food and finding new great restaurants. I'm not in the food industry, but my husband and I do love to try and tackle interesting and complicated dishes. Over the years, I've developed food allergies (gluten, eggs, soy), so if anyone knows of restaurants that do well with "special needs" patrons, let me know!

Hi all - my husband and I love to travel and eat - we believe our lives are greatly enriched by both! We have lived in the DC area for over 8 years and love the food culture here, especially all the ethnic eats in the 'burbs! I love to cook and am always in search of high quality food recommendations!

Looking forward to being a part of this great community!

Best,

Pauline Lewis, aka pleen

Hi there. I discovered this site from a posting on the WashPo site discussing yelp and it's problems. I'm from California and travel to DC a lot. I hate fast food and chain restaurants and so I'm always looking for something new. Yelp has been somewhat helpful but it's a challenge to rate the reviews - some are way too generous and others not nice enough. So I'm looking forward to discovering new restaurants in DC.

Hello! I love to cook, I love to eat, and I love to try new foods and restaurants, especially those that serve interesting vegetarian options. We recently moved to a new section of Alexandria called "Carlyle" near the PTO and the Federal courthouse. There are some nice restaurants here -- Delia's, the Carlyle Club, Zikrayet's -- but, we are always looking for more. Old Town is great, but it is nice to have someplace nearby to hang out and relax. Has anyone heard who is setting up shop in the old Heidi's Brooklyn Deli space on Duke St in Alexandria near the King St Metro? The sign out front reads: Mezze Mediterranean Cuisine -- Opening Soon.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. :-)

--christine

Hi there! I'm an avid baker (I can make a mean caramel corn, you have no idea), eater (from Minibar's feats of gastronomic science to Lorena's delicious pupusas), and drinker (vino anyone?) who loves to explore everything the DC area has to offer. I've been living in NoVA for the last 6 years, and make a point to explore new food scenes while remaining loyal to my favorites (Eamonn's, Ray's, Dino, Five Guys, and Brooklyn Bagels are all on the regular rotation). I look forward to participating!

Hi there! I'm an avid baker (I can make a mean caramel corn, you have no idea), eater (from Minibar's feats of gastronomic science to Lorena's delicious pupusas), and drinker (vino anyone?) who loves to explore everything the DC area has to offer. I've been living in NoVA for the last 6 years, and make a point to explore new food scenes while remaining loyal to my favorites (Eamonn's, Ray's, Dino, Five Guys, and Brooklyn Bagels are all on the regular rotation). I look forward to participating!

Welcome to the community. And welcome also to the first request.

Spring Picnic, Caramel Corn. Bring it! Can't wait to try it.

I'm Ian Lipner. I run the DC office for a technology PR agency, but more relevant here, I started the Capitol Case Club for DC-area wine collectors (http://www.capitolcaseclub.com).

Although I come from a food-friendly town in Chicago, Washington is the place where my palate truly developed. And here is where I fell in love with food on an entirely different level, in 1997.

I was dining at Cafe Atlantico when the epiphany hit me - that food could not only be something transcendent, but that it was a logical and rational pursuit to make nearly every meal truly experiential.

Later, Michel Richard taught me that every single bite could be experiential.

And now, I think that I'm learning from folks like Dean Gold that one can find something culinary in nearly every experience.

I'm trying my best to bring this spirit to my lifestyle.

Thanks for helping with that, Don. Seriously.

Ian

Hi all!

I live in the Crystal City area, just a few short steps away from 23rd Street's Restaurant Row, where my wife and I love getting the Diavala Pizza at Cafe Pizzaiolo, the Border Fajitas from Cantina Mexicana, and anything on the menu at Harar Mesob, where we had our first date. Sometimes we find it hard to motivate ourselves to drive or ride anywhere else -- even to make the short trip up to Orange Line Arlington to swoon before a Landrum burger. When not eating out, we can be found cooking up a storm -- from experimenting with this week's fresh vegetables to preparing traditional Korean favorites.

Otherwise, we're professionals working in the city. Like so many others, we're transplanted to DC for great jobs with family scattered across America and the world. We love to travel -- to visit and to get away -- and of course, to have great new eating experiences.

Hi there,

My name's Brock. I'm somewhat of a debutant cook looking, at the risk of sounding terribly cliche, to "broaden my horizons". I'm currently a college student, so cooking/dining on a shoestring budget is something that I'm getting pretty good at. I'm looking forward to using the information here to become a better cook and mostly just to learn, because I have a lot of that to do.

Hi there,

My name's Brock. I'm somewhat of a debutant cook looking, at the risk of sounding terribly cliche, to "broaden my horizons". I'm currently a college student, so cooking/dining on a shoestring budget is something that I'm getting pretty good at. I'm looking forward to using the information here to become a better cook and mostly just to learn, because I have a lot of that to do.

Brock speaks more languages than I can count.

When are you coming to stage in DC? ;)

Brock speaks more languages than I can count.

When are you coming to stage in DC? :P

Haha, Sorry I didn't decide to share my academic history with everyone here. You know I'll be out there as soon as the moment is right. ;)

Another 1st post. Paul, here, and I've recently had great meals at Rasika, Woodberry Kitchen, and Jaleo (still enjoy it after all these years). I am also on a Spanish cooking spree after I got some excellent chorizo from iGourmet.com.

My 'name' is Beeg, and this is my first post. My wife and I haven't lived in the DC area since the early 80s (currently in San Francisco), but we visit occasionally and like to keep up-to-date. We consider ourselves wine-and-foodies and like to cook and travel. I am especially interested in finding good croque madames (or should that be crocques madames?). ;)

Newbie here...certainly wouldn't consider myself a foodie (there are some organ meats that I just can't get past, no matter how hard I try!) but I love and appreciate good food, hate the multitude of chain restaurants in the NoVa area (particularly the western suburbs), and am always looking for good suggestions on where to eat. Oh, and I went to middle and high school with Don, so I know this has to be a good site ;)

Newbie here...certainly wouldn't consider myself a foodie (there are some organ meats that I just can't get past, no matter how hard I try!) but I love and appreciate good food, hate the multitude of chain restaurants in the NoVa area (particularly the western suburbs), and am always looking for good suggestions on where to eat. Oh, and I went to middle and high school with Don, so I know this has to be a good site :P

Springbrook, no? And you actually crossed the river into VA! ;)

My name is Erik and I'm a longtime pseudofoodie, meaning that I occasionally talk about restaurants and read a fair amount about them but know less about them than most of my friends and colleagues. I cook a lot but it doesn't often taste too good. Glad to be on the DR platform and a little embarrassed about how long it's taken me to post.

Hi I'm MeJane and am finally getting around to introducing myself to this board. I moved to the area several years ago and have had a lot of fun exploring the food scene in the DC metro area. I tend to gravitate towards more affordable, authentic eats and stay away from the more upscale places, though I do like to indulge every so often. Favorites in this town include Komi, 2 Amy's, and Guajillo. i'm looking for a good Jewish deli, a new go-to sushi place, and a favorite dim-sum restaurant (so far, China Garden is it). Can't wait to read everyone's restaurant/food reviews!

Hello -

I'm webbo and I'm really looking forward to delving futher into this realm of the food universe. Been interested in this site for a while, love the community at large and hope to contribute in my own way.

Cheers

Hello all,

I'm Matteo. After 17 years in the resto business, I took 2 and a half years off to ride a desk 9-5. It was worth a shot, but now i am looking to get back into the industry and I feel "out of the loop". My online research brought me here. I want the scoop on what is new and exciting. Can't wait!

Greetings One and All,

My name is Bruce Saunders. Many of you may have met me, talked to me or bought meat from me at either the Arlington Courthouse Farmers Market (Saturdays) or DuPont Circle Fresh Farm Market (Sundays). I am a co-owner of EcoFriendly Foods (www.ecofriendly.com). We bring humanely raised, pasture fed, chemical and medication free meats and poultry to the DC and NYC metro area farmers markets and restaurants. I also work with Danette Segrove of Dinner Matters (www.dinnermatters.net) doing personal chef services and catering jobs and I work with Vicki Reh at Buck's Fishing and Camping (www,bucksfishingandcamping.com) in DC.

Most recently I have come to an agreement with the Westover Market in Arlington to open a new butcher shop within their small, family owned grocery store. The new shop will be know as "The Butcher Shop at Westover Market". My plan is to make EcoFriendly's clean, pasture raised meats available in a new venue outside of the farmers markets. I'll likely also bring meats from other local farms that follow our protocol of sustainable farming. I've lived here in Arlington since 1987 and I look forward to serving the community with our high quality meat and poultry products. And I look forward to sharing with and learning from the DR community!

brs

Happy rainy spring day!

Just got back from a trip to MOMs and Cheesetique over in Arlandria/Del Ray, and I'm finally taking a moment to post something here after lurking for about a year.

I'm a former waiter/bartender and former Foreign Service Officer, but now I'm mainly *just* a stay-at-home mom. I love to cook and now make bread -- Mark Bittman is my current kitchen idol, and I have a feeling he and I will have a long, long relationship. Hubby and I also love to eat out ... Two Amys (with the kid) and Palena (without) are two of our current faves. In any inspired spare moments that come around, I manage to post a story or photos on my blog about kids and food -- http://drinkofwater.wordpress.com.

"Masher"

Hi. I'm new to the forum. There are few things I like more than discovering a new (to me) great hole-in-the-wall restaurant. I like spicy food and lately I've been really digging sour. Looking forward to finding new great dishes with this board.

Hi, folks! I'm a hyper-nerdy food obsessive, currently trying to figure out how to make and age salumi in our little apartment without my wife deciding she's had enough of me. The cuisines of China, Thailand, and Vietnam are my favorites, and pho is almost my religion. Not much for food snobbery--I am just as happy at a taco truck as I am at a Michelin-starred restaurant.

Hi Everyone,

This is not my first post -but have been out of the loop for the last year. My husband passed away last June and I am just getting back to going out and trying to resumed some kind of social life. I would like to take my family out this Friday to Ray's the Steak. I know that most of you are up to date on whether reservations are needed or justing putting your name on the list ahead of time. Please forgive my boring question-as I know the topics are always so interesting and delicious.

Thank you all for your help!

P.S. I will have a group of 8 to 10 people.

Hi Everyone,

This is not my first post -but have been out of the loop for the last year. My husband passed away last June and I am just getting back to going out and trying to resumed some kind of social life. I would like to take my family out this Friday to Ray's the Steak. I know that most of you are up to date on whether reservations are needed or justing putting your name on the list ahead of time. Please forgive my boring question-as I know the topics are always so interesting and delicious.

Thank you all for your help!

P.S. I will have a group of 8 to 10 people.

Responded via PM.

Hello!

I'm Meagan, a resident of Rockville and in respect of full disclosure, I actually just found out about this site via my social media marketing work with Bobby's Crabcakes. Hoping to stay up on reviews of the restaurant and also keep tabs on what's going on in the DC restaurant scene.

Personally, my husband and I LOVE food, though we just had a baby, so eating long, luxurious meals seems to be a thing of the past...oh, and I'm originally from Youngstown, Ohio, which isn't saying much except that I'm accustomed to delicious, secret recipe from grandma-who-just-got-off-the-boat Italian food, and still struggling to find anything that compares. Suggestions welcome!

Good Evening!

My name is Warren "Curt" Williams. I am a Swiss trained chef with 20 years of cooking experience. Roughly, half of my career I worked for/with European chefs(Swiss-Austrian-German). I had this idea that; if I insisted on being the best at what I do, It would behoove me to learn from the best! I have also worked with some great CIA-Hyde Park graduates too! I am also a writer, an expert in cheese(no seriously); I just finished a three year career, in cheese, with an upscale grocery chain! I also created www.curtsculinarycamp.wordpress.com on March 17, 2010 and aired my first video blog on March 23, 2010. I am as much of a sustainable/organic food advocate, as I am aprocessed food activist! With my "campsite", I am trying to change public perception on their food sourcing. I feel that slowly yet surely; sustainably farmed and organically farmed products will become the "norm" and not the exception! I have seen many like minded people posting at Don Rockwell...Wonderful!

Healthiest regards,

W.Curt Williams

Good Evening!

My name is Warren "Curt" Williams. I am a Swiss trained chef with 20 years of cooking experience. Roughly, half of my career I worked for/with European chefs(Swiss-Austrian-German). I had this idea that; if I insisted on being the best at what I do, It would behoove me to learn from the best! I have also worked with some great CIA-Hyde Park graduates too! I am also a writer, an expert in cheese(no seriously); I just finished a three year career, in cheese, with an upscale grocery chain! I also created www.curtsculinarycamp.wordpress.com on March 17, 2010 and aired my first video blog on March 23, 2010. I am as much of a sustainable/organic food advocate, as I am aprocessed food activist! With my "campsite", I am trying to change public perception on their food sourcing. I feel that slowly yet surely; sustainably farmed and organically farmed products will become the "norm" and not the exception! I have seen many like minded people posting at Don Rockwell...Wonderful!

Healthiest regards,

W.Curt Williams

[Curt,

After a post such as this, the least I could do is insert a clickable link in your signature file, but it's not working. Bear with me (and thanks for posting).

Cheers,

Rocks]

Deep breath - I am not a poster, but I want access to the Dining Guide, so here goes...

After 20 years in the Baltimore-DC corridor, my husband and I have been to most of DC's special occasion restaurants, We are now downsizing to the city, and need to discover the everyday places, too. And where to find good bread and pastries in the PQ/Shaw/Bloomingdale side of town.

We are big fans of DCCentralKitchen, and would like to learn more about your volunteer group. I am not much of a chopper - maybe someone could direct me to a skills class in the area.

And because I don't think that I would write up a separate post on our dinner, I would like to add that we had the most fabulous chef's menu in the kitchen dining room at Volt Saturday night. It was our first visit, and the food, wine and service were outstanding! Well worth the drive.

Betsy