Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

We are big fans of DCCentralKitchen, and would like to learn more about your volunteer group. I am not much of a chopper - maybe someone could direct me to a skills class in the area.

No experience necessary - I usually bring my 12-year-old son!

Next session is Thursday the 20th - click here for more info.

Hello everyone. I'm very excited to be accepted as a member. I would occasionally read chowhound, but a friend who is also a member here told me your forum was so much better and more substantive, and also focussed on just our wonderful DC/VA/MD area. So I am truly happy to explore and read your reviews and posts. I'm like most of you -- just love and appreciate excellent food and excellent dining experiences (whether simple and modest or lavish and extravagant). On that note, have to let you know that last week I hosted a friend's birthday dinner at Et Voila on MacArthur Blvd. The food was fantastic and the service was warm and attentive -- I highly recommend it. One of my friends tasted the risotto (with tomato and prawns), and said "I'd like to get in bed with that risotto!" It was such a great line. I'm told it can be noisy in there (we ourselves added to that no doubt), but it's a wonderful little restaurant and a real neighborhood gem for me. I'll be going twice this week!

I am Ellen Kassoff Gray. I am co-owner of Equinox Restaurant with my husband Todd Gray. So many subjects - such a small key board. I am a novice on this site - all though I've known about it for years. So how does it all go?

Thanks for posting, Ellen! Any word on the reopening?

(If you answer, don't be surprised if I move it to the Equinox thread. :lol:)

Hi all...

Just another food fan that was directed to this site by a good friend.

I work for DCCK and try to stay connected and knowledgeable about the DC food scene. It's my first post, but wanted to fully join in on the party.

Hello everyone. I love food ...bacon in particular. Wine is delicious ...I seem to be craving a delicious Veltliner theses day which I find a bit random. I am in the industry and therefore I prefer to stay at home to cook for my loves rather than dine out on my days off. That sums me up...for now :lol:

OK, Don and everyone else -- hi.

The short version is that I signed up for DonRockwell.com at the suggestion of our good friends, Bobby Bloch and his wife Sari (of Bobby's Crabcakes fame). My wife (who brings a somewhat different perspective having grown up in Sweden) and I love good food and good wine. (Except the day before my wife goes to Weight Watchers.) So this seemed like a natural, and so far it's been a lot fun and quite interesting.

Although we've lived in the area for more than 30 years, our restaurant experience was somewhat limited for a long time by the fact that our children insist on sushi 90% of the time that we go out. We love sushi too, but a litle balance is also ok. Actually, now that the children are getting a little older (one now in college), we've started to branch out a little. If you call going to Bobby's Crabcakes close to once a week branching out. Why Bobby's? Because Bobby and Sari are really good friends, the food is great, we really like the menu, and we like the fact that you can get really good food in a nice but casual atmosphere. Having said that, I am still forlornly looking for good Chinese in the Bethesda area, and am largely disappointed with the Italian restaurants. You can do ok, but where are the little hidden gems or even a consistently good trattoria?

We are really enjoying the developments in the DC restaurant scene over the past few years - especially around Penn Quarter and Dupont Circle. As long-time DC residents know, when my wife came to town, the choices were rather slim. She used to have to carry around a jar of instant coffee. That way she could order a cup of coffee (she would describe it as coffee water) and then add a spoon of instant to get something close to what she was used to in Sweden. (Caffeine addiction = yes! True for all Swedes; seems to be in the genes.) Now it seems like there's generally acceptable and sometimes good coffee on almost every street corner. And the restaurant scene is simply light-years from what it was. Keep up the good work all you struggling restauranteurs out there!! You're on our list; we hope to get there soon.

We will try to chime in with some thoughts about our dining experiences over time, but one question to start. Yannick Cam recently opened his new Bistro Provence in Bethesda. We've heard from some friends who were disappointed, especially with the portion size. But we've heard from others who loved it. I'd say there are more of the latter. If you've been there, what was your experience?

Jim

(Caffeine addiction = yes! True for all Swedes; seems to be in the genes.)

Have you read any of Stieg Larsson's Lisbeth Salander mysteries? My friends and I comment that everyone in them is always drinking coffee -- to what appears to be physically impossible excess -- and eating Billy's Pan Pizza or making sandwiches. Alas, being unfamiliar with Sweden, we were unable to tell if it was satire or just so much the norm in Sweden that it would be strange not to mention these things. Thanks for having answered the query on the coffee front!

Welcome! :lol:

Have you read any of Stieg Larsson's Lisbeth Salander mysteries? My friends and I comment that everyone in them is always drinking coffee -- to what appears to be physically impossible excess -- and eating Billy's Pan Pizza or making sandwiches. Alas, being unfamiliar with Sweden, we were unable to tell if it was satire or just so much the norm in Sweden that it would be strange not to mention these things. Thanks for having answered the query on the coffee front!

Welcome! :lol:

The Stieg Larsson books are huge in Sweden so, yes, we've read them, although I read the English version. The coffee drinking is accurate, as are the sandwiches, although they tend often to be open-faced with smoked or cured salmon, shrimp, or sausage. The Billy's Pan Pizza are frozen and sort of a quick dinner at home. By and large I think he captures the details of Swedish life pretty well. (Of course, he should know it a lot better than I do.)

My name is Jeff, and I live in Fairfax and work in Arlington. Long time lurker, first time poster. Been in the DC area for the past 11 years and enjoying making my way through all the great restaurants. (At least I was until joining the parental ranks two years ago!) Now it's more of an ongoing search to find restaurants that do takeout well!

Hello. My name is Jezsik ... and I like to eat.

I first discovered eating at a very young age. I must admit that, at first, I was not impressed. The selection of things to eat was dismal at best. The discovery of sugar was a life-changing moment for me. It opened a whole new world of taste and texture (e.g. Peeps). It was also my downfall, as it has been for many of us. As I matured, so did my taste buds - and my eating options. I'm now at a point in life where I'm primarily interested in good eating (as opposed to fancy eating or expensive eating). For that reason, I have joined ronrockwell.

I grew up in Woodbridge, but long ago moved away. I still make it back to DC for short periods and want to make the most of things. My ol' pal, Mr. Korn, insisted I check out the site. Here, he assured me, I'd find like-minded individual seeking good eats. I look forward to exploring (and possibly meeting).

Cheers!

Hello one and all. Victoria here. Found this site via the DC Foodie blog. Relocated to the US from the UK many moons ago and moved to northern VA from central PA in February. As I am now settled into home and hearth (well there are still a few more boxes to unpack but seriously, a gal can only take so much unpacking....), I am really looking forward to seriously noshing my way around the DC metro area and beyond!

See you on the boards!

Victoria

My name is Martin X. Moleski, SJ. My friends call me "Marty," for good or for ill.

I have eaten with my recently deceased friend, StephenB, at Ray's the Steaks several times. I was also part of the group that Stephen organized for special meals in Paris, St. Michaels, Montreal, and Washington (I missed the Paris trip, unfortunately).

I teach Religious Studies and Catholic Theology at Canisius College in Buffalo, NY.

This is my professional site.

And this is my vanity site.

That's enough by way of introduction, I hope. I'll add a post in the StephenB thread ...

Marty

Hello Everyone,

I am Pam Oldes and I own my own personal chef business named Pots & Pam's... I found out about this website after handing out fliers to people in my condo about my new adventure Sears Chef Challenge. A neighbor told me about this website and I thought it would be great to check out. I have been a personal chef for a little over a year and LOVE it. The nationwide Sears Chef Challenge has been amazing. You can check out details at www.searschefchallenge.com or ask me! If you think you have what it takes, they are looking for Chefs to fill 6 wild card spots in Phase two of the competition. I highly recommend it for anyone! The quarter final round winners is decided by online votes. Voting starts June 26 through July 10th. I would love to have your support for this! You can become a "fan" and get reminders at facebook.com/ChefPamOldes or I will keep you posted on this site. I look forward to learning and sharing on this site. Thanks for your time!

Pam

Oh, my business website is www.potsandpams.com

HI All,

I have been reading & writing on the Chowhound board for many years & decided to spend some time over here with Don Rockwell and friends. I live in Baltimore & am currently planning a trip to NYC for some good eats next weekend! I love to grow, cook & eat food & love to read write & talk about it....

Peace & Good Eats!

Jess

Hello all. I worked as a waiter for many years and am now an enthusiastic cook and baker The other night at dinner--the duck dinner at Dino's to be exact and alliterative--some of my friends were talking about the site, so I was inspired to finally join (that and I am trying to find a place to take my friend who has eaten everywhere in the area!).

Bridget

Hello to all!

My name is Jon(athan) Rice. I'm a Bethesda, MD native and currently a college student attending Pitzer College in Claremont, CA (right outside L.A.). I've always loved cooking, dabling with that here and there. I also enjoy, as many here do, fine food, whether it is from a fancy restaurant or a street cart. Lately, I've been trying to adjust and connect to both the east and west coasts.

My website is this: http://jonathanriceonline.com

All the best,

J.

Greetings!

They call me Yetty...because that's my name.

Born and raised in Washington, DC, I have always been all about

food and music. I enjoy listening to just about everything, different moods

and genres. Pretty much the same way with food, different cravings and

cuisines. I especially like to take pictures of what I eat, and if it looks good,

I may even take a photo of what's on your plate.

Stay healthy and happy!

Hi, my name is Daniela Jaramillo. I am originally from Quito, Ecuador and have lived in the DC area for the last 6 years. I have worked in restaurants all my life and 4 years ago I was introduced to Spanish food, wine and lifestyle. I worked at Taberna del Alabardero as catering and events manager in DC for 3 years, that's where I met my fiancee Daniel. He was the executive chef at Taberna del Alabardero. He comes from Huelva, Spain and has lived here for 3 years.

We bought and remodeled a 6-year-old restaurant in Rockville, it opened under our management on January 1st, 2010. Sol de Espana is the name of the restaurant we like to call our first baby :) The restaurant focuses on Spanish food, we like to provide personalized service and a great experience to our guests.

We do monthly wine tasting dinners. The next one is on June 22nd, check the menu out at http://www.elsoldeespana.com/html%20files/events.html

We are excited to be part of this community of food and wine lovers!!! talk to you soon

Hi all -

My name is Tim. I've been in DC for 6ish years, and love to eat/drink. I look forward to participating in discussions about everything from street food to top restaurants as well as bars and booze.

Hello,
My name is Karen, and am so pleased to be here.
Will be nice to be a member of this esteemed group. DonRockwell.com will allow me to the opportunity to freely flaunt my foodie tendencies as well as provide non-stop vast expanses of time when I can do what I do best -- talk, critique, rave, whine and basically obsess about food and restaurants.

Am a proud DC resident - living life in Cleveland Park. Have my own communications/marketing/PR/design business.
Favorite past time is trying out new restaurants; so life has been good these last years with a never-ending plethora of exciting new options in the Washington-Metro area whether it's neighborhood dives with great eats, inspiring ethnic food options and fine-dining establishments.

And at the risk of sounding to food cliché, am looking forward to "stepping up to the trough" and "puttin" on the ole feedback - with you - in a virtual way anyway.

Cheers,
Karen (aka MagicMaker)

Howdy. My name's Nate. I'm moving back to the DC area after half a decade's absence, some of which was spent in the Bay Area. While I already miss Blue Bottle, the Broken Record, Delfina's, and a host of other places there, I look forward to exploring the capitol's new food scene.

Cheers,

Nate

PS. I haven't had a professional connection to any food-related industry since high school, and that was a long, long time ago.

Howdy. My name's Nate. I'm moving back to the DC area after half a decade's absence, some of which was spent in the Bay Area.

Don't forget Ann Arbor! We've got a lot of Bell's fans around here, and not a few Zingerman's accolytes as well.

PS. I haven't had a professional connection to any food-related industry since high school, and that was a long, long time ago.

Dude, hat were you connected to then? (Blueberry Hill? Meshugganah?) I know I worked at Northwest Coffee, but for you, I guess I've drawn a massive blank?

Bienvenidos, man. :)

Hi Everybody,

This is long overdue. I met everyone when my husband and I stumbled upon the Summer Picnic Gathering at Ft. Hunt Park. This is my first post. About me- I'm a native northern Virginian. I grew up in North Arlington and now reside in Old Town Alexandria. I love food and teach people how to eat and live healthier through my work as a holistic health counselor. I'm an avid cook and a proud foodie. My talent is peering into our fridge and whipping up a meal with whatever happens to be in it.

Last night's dinner was an arugula salad with small baby shrimp from Maine, sweet corn and artichoke in a balsamic vinegrette. Our fridge was pretty much empty, but it all came together. Looking forward to meeting everybody at the Fall picnic.

Cheers!

Mai

www.maihealthnow.com

First time posting here - love the site and layout, nice Job D.R.!

Michael Mercer here, owner/partner in the Wine Kitchen in Leesburg, Virginia where we've just passed our 19th month of being open. Our guests have been incredibly receptive to our fresh food and interesting wine selections where we offer 30 wines by the glass (we pour a 6oz glass), flight, taste size and we sell all our bottles to take home at ten dollars off the list price. Being out our way may keep us a bit out of the mainstream as far as DC reviews go but I'd give that up everyday just to keep us closer to the local farmers, butchers and Loudoun wineries. If you haven't yet made it out our way and want to eat and drink well on a budget, check us out especially on Tuesday nights when all our flights are nine dollars or less for 3 two ounce pours of amazing wines. Menu and wine list -both change fairly frequently but are kept up to date online (plus info on wine dinners, an interesting blog etc...) are on our website. Hope to see you there and remember to always eat and drink simply.

Hello everyone! My name is Andrea. I have a deep appreciation for good food and drink. I have a food blog, The Bethesda Foodie, which I've been working on for about a year now. I don't have any formal training but I love to cook/eat and I love to blog about it. My hobbies include visiting restaurants, touring kitchens, creating recipes, and mingling with other foodies. I LOVE being in-the-know about DC happenings, especially when those happenings are food related! I live in Bethesda with my husband and one spoiled kitty.

Hi, everyone. Found out about this board via Chowhound (which has its annoyances, but it keeps me informed on the DC-area dining scene, along with Tom Sietsema's chats on WaPo) and can't wait to forage through the dining guide and posts.

I grew up in the Chinese take-out industry (yes, I was that kid answering the phone, taking your order, delivering your food once I learned how to drive, etc.) and just have a general appreciation of food of all kinds and also of all aspects of the restaurant industry. Let's just say...I'm an over-tipper! LOL

I don't often have the money or transportation to go to the more popular restaurants in the area, but wherever Metro and my feet can take me, I try to go.

I'm making my first post after being a member for awhile. I've learned about a number of great places on this board (Sichuan Pavilion, Honey Pig and Lighthouse Tofu in particular) and it's time I start contributing (and get access to the Dining Guide).

My name is Marcel The. I am a partner at Raku. We have very high regards for the quality of this site, both in the way it's run/ moderated and quality of its members. Though I have often visited the site for the past 5 years, this is my first time ever posting. If anyone have any questions/ comments regarding our restaurants, I will be gladly respond on this forum. Mr. Rockwell, hats off on having an excellent site all these years; a well managed forum for all of us the industry and consumers.

Marcel The

Raku

My name is Andy, I work in downtown DC, and though I typically visit what's closest and fastest, I try to get away once or twice a month to someplace that is not a chain.

I am a fed, but I also run a pop culture blog, MillionairePlayboy.com on the side. We mainly review DVDs, collectables and link to cool stuff around the net, but I make original video reviews and podcasts about whatever. recently I've been covering DC eateries (Matchbox, PS7, and Good Stuff Eatery)

http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/mpb/?s=food+podcast

I'd love recommendations, I'm in the Union Station area, but travel around quite a bit.

Andy

Hello,

My name is Eric, I am a DJ and an obsessive cook. I've been cooking for about 20 years. I cook mostly north Indian, Thai, Korean, and recently Chinese (mostly Szechuan). Also dabble in southern Italian, Mexican, Burmese, Malay, Indonesian, and South Indian. I think I like cooking even more than eating. This site is a great resource for farmers markets, Asian groceries and other things so I hope I can contribute something. Also a big fan of quality beer and BBQ (North Carolina style). I love funky things in music and food.

Hi, I'm Kathy, from Baltimore, and I recently started posting on this board.

Would love to chat with more people in the Baltimore area. I have a food blog in which I talk about local restaurants, but I also do humorous recaps of Top Chef and The Next Food Network Star and those tend to bring me more readers from outside Baltimore.

I enjoy writing about food and am pretty opinionated. I still regret that I didn't go after the City Paper restaurant critic position 12 years ago, but I had just started a job and wasn't thinking straight. :) Still in the same job. <sigh>

Hello All!

I'm Ann, from Baltimore, and recently joined this site on the urging of Ms. Minx. I do NOT work in the food industry in any way but am very interested in local food and what I consider good cooking and business practices.

I'm the daughter of a farm girl so my expertise, as it were, is in the simple preparation of fresh and in-season produce. Although I do have an inheritance of southern recipes that some may kill for, including Mama Hilda's pound cake (which calls for a pound of butter) and the Smithville Men's Club Brunswick Stew. I also know how to make a BBQ sauce, courtesy of my grandpa Leroy, that will cover half a hog, wipe out your sinuses, clear your pores, and could probably clean your windows.

I'm trying to live off what I buy at local farmers' markets as well as eat at restaurants that serve local, in-season produce and local meats, also limiting artificial ingredients.

I completely cut out HFCS in March (as much as anyone can) and feel pretty great about that.

Good to meet you all.

I've lived in Howard County for basically my entire life, I'm 23 and just starting to get into the whole cooking/food thing. I hope to bring some decent reviews of restaurants all along the Baltimore/Washington corridor (don't know much about NoVa) and hope to add to the Baltimore board specifically. Also looking to expand both my food and wine tastes as I didn't get brought up with this culture.

Hi - my name is George and I'm a psychologist who recently moved to this area from NY. I have no food bona fides except a great appetite, so I'm awed by all the professionals who have signed on. I've enjoyed sampling the fare here, but still miss the deli and bagels i grew up on. I'm looking forward to the guidance that I see is available on this great site.

Hi. My name is Christopher. I have lived in DC well over 30 years now and 20 of those in Riverdale MD.

Always interested in new and interesting food sites and especially looking for good eats in the MD area

I am not in the business but am serious about food and dining.

I am looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Hi, I'm new here!

I'm in the food business and have been with the web site www.olio2go.com for four years now. We sell "Italy's Finest Olive Oil" along with balsamic vinegar, pesto, pate, mostarda, and other lovely goodies. Our office/warehouse is in the Merrifield area. Locally, I'm a big fan of the Burke Farmers Market. I like to say I was brought up with "peasant Italian cooking" and a grandmother who could make a feast for 10 out of two pork chops. --Luanne