Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Helo folks!

I am no longer in the business nor am I in DC. Left in 1996 and moved to Florida.

I was the chef of I Matti Trattoria and then Exec Chef at the U.S. Dept of State during Bush 41 and Clinton administrations. Hoping to keep in touch with friends of long standing (we are getting sensitive about the word "old").

Yes I have given up the long hours, nights weekends and holidays working in hot kitchens for a 5 day workweek in air conditioned spaces repairing laser printers and copiers, but I can still cook circles around most folks. My family eats well at homeand is hard to please when eating out.

I return to the "Old" (that word again!) stomping grounds a couple of times a year so

I like to keep track of what is going on.

Cheers!

Hi, my name is Doug. I saw a refence to DonRockwell.com in the Post today and thought I would give it a try. My wife and I have lived in the area most of our lives. We're celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this month with a vacation to California, including tickets to Craig Ferguson's show and dinner at Spago. We're very excited!

Hello, all! I'm Chelsea Yancho...While I'm a new member here, I have worked in fine dining restaurants in DC for the past 9 years. I am currently the GM of 701 Restaurant, by way of disclosure, & would love for people to stop in and say hello. Personally, I'm excited to be here to see what diners are excited about and what they are looking for. A great peek at the sophisticated DC palates... Looking forward to posting with you all!

Life long Washingtonian. I am not the most hard core foodie, but love good food and finding new restaurants from the whole in the wall to the 21 course tasting menu (which i haven't done at Volt yet, maybe next yea for my birthday).

Looking forward to sharing this community.

-M

New member from Del Ray area of Alexandria. Not in industry, just like good food and experiences. My fiance and I follow the food blogs and try to get out 2-3 times a week for dinner, at least. Looking forward to finding some out of the way gems.

JTG

Hi there,

My name is Nabil. I've been in DC about 7 years, and have made the rounds to a lot of the good places in town. My wife and I are foodies and we're looking for info and recommendations about the latest and greatest (restaurants, farmers markets, etc.).

I'm very excited about joining the forum...

Hi, Everyone. My name is Bill Foster and this is my first post. I found out about the site in the March 2010 New Yorker in the article: Where's Chang? I know Chang has already left Charlottesville and I'm wondering if anyone knows where he is now. I've not searched this site yet to see.

I have my own business, in health care, so I'm not in the food trade. I do love to cook and especially to bake and particularly to bake bread. I've spent time in Asia so lean toward Asian food but like to try anything. Thanks for allowing me to join!

Hi, Everyone. My name is Bill Foster and this is my first post. I found out about the site in the March 2010 New Yorker in the article: Where's Chang? I know Chang has already left Charlottesville and I'm wondering if anyone knows where he is now. I've not searched this site yet to see.

Welcome, Bill -- and so many new members!

Easiest way to search for this information is to use the index in the relevant Forum (the Invision search is somewhat nonspecific in what it returns). For reading about Peter Chang, check out:

Peter Chang Really Has Been Found

Peter Chang is Gone Again -- the most up-to-date information is usually here

Also, our thread on Todd Kliman's article about Chang, published around the same time as the article you saw in the New Yorker.

And if you're up for sharing about your baking, please do!

Welcome, Bill -- and so many new members!

Easiest way to search for this information is to use the index in the relevant Forum (the Invision search is somewhat nonspecific in what it returns). For reading about Peter Chang, check out:

Peter Chang Really Has Been Found

Peter Chang is Gone Again -- the most up-to-date information is usually here

Also, our thread on Todd Kliman's article about Chang, published around the same time as the article you saw in the New Yorker.

And if you're up for sharing about your baking, please do!

Thanks for the help. I'm still somewhat lost trying to figure out how this works. I do appreciate your help.

Time to (re)introduce myself. Count me in for all DCCK volunteer nights after Sept. 10. Looking forward to seeing ol_ironstomach, legant, banco, goodeats, goldenticket, danielk, et. al. Note: no triple spacing.

Yay! Can we put you down to bring rosemary gin fizzes to the picnic? :(

Hello all--

By day, I'm a director of photography at a Bethesda-based newspaper that specializes in national K-12 news and policy (there are so many....)

By night I'm a committed foodie, searching for the metaphoric great neighborhood joint--you all know the type: tasty and wide-ranging cuisine with a great and friendly staff in front and back; affordable wine list and food worth the price

So here's where my search parameters are (slightly) different...commute to home in bucolic Spotsylvania, VA, couple nights a week; stay in Vienna, VA, couple nights so I keep my sanity. Looking for suggestions for places in the Bethesda-Vienna loop and also Spotsy/FredBurg/Stafford (though I'm a pretty great home cook, so suggestions for latter would have to really rock)

Look forward to getting to know you

Hi, I'm a DC native and have become really interested in the DC dining scene in the past couple of years. I'm impressed with many of the local restaurants I've been to, and I appreciate that more and more of them are using local, organic, and sustainable ingredients, and that many share this information on their menus. I'm looking forward to being part of the DonRockwell.com community and keeping up with the area's restaurant goings-on even more.

Hello everyone, I am new to the list.

I am a retired F&B Director. My last position was at the US Naval Academy and before that with Hyatt Hotels.

So Now I garden organically, teach and keep myself busy helping out various organizations.

Norma Gene

Hello all,

This is my first, introductory post- I live in Herndon, work in DC...used to value quantity over quality but realized that was both foolish and unhealthy. I can't say I'm a "foodie" per se, since I didn't realize that goat cheese and chevre were one in the same until 2 weeks ago. Still can't tell the difference between a cab and a merlot unless I concentrate really hard. But I do like good food and drink, and a recent acquaintance of mine pushed me in to dr.com, so here I am. Can't wait to check out the site fully and see what opportunities arise.

I'm a self-proclaimed foodie who is in "career transition" from the corporate world and is trying to make my passion my profession. That's as far as I've gotten!

I have been a both a successful bartender and server, but only part time while pushing papers in corporate management.

Now I am trying to make my way into restaurants and hotels as a career - help!! (I don't think being a Yelp Elite member is resume material, but it's a fun hobby.)

Love trying new restaurants, but still hang out in my tried and true favorites on The Hill.

Hi All,

Having lived in Boston for most of my adult life, I've had a hard time adjusting to life in the suburbs. I'm happy to have found this site because now that I'm off unemployment and earning a paycheck again I want to spend my hard earned dollars at some great eateries.

Hello, I'm Neal. This is my first post. I love good food and good restaurants. I lived in DC for 12 years, went away for 8 and now have been back for about a year and a half. I am excited to be part of, and to participate in, this group. I look forward to exploring the site.

Hi,

I've been a member for a minute but never posted. I'm a former bartender/restaurant manager/dishwasher/cook/busser/server turned barista/manager :( I love this forum so please dont delete me!

Thanks for posting, chrissyka. Question: What is the advantage of being a member here having never posted? I try so hard to encourage (*) people to post, yet many sign up and never do (so they get pruned after a year). Can someone please enlighten me?

Cheers,

Rocks

(*) This includes having Rocko and Knuckles show up at people's doorsteps at 3 AM.

Thanks for posting, chrissyka. Question: What is the advantage of being a member here having never posted? I try so hard to encourage (*) people to post, yet many sign up and never do (so they get pruned after a year). Can someone please enlighten me?

Cheers,

Rocks

(*) This includes having Rocko and Knuckles show up at people's doorsteps at 3 AM.

I know, I know. I sort of lost my diligence about it. I do love to read the information people post. I think it's the same reason why some people like to be the stars and others prefer to watch the stars on tv. :(

I know, I know. I sort of lost my diligence about it. I do love to read the information people post. I think it's the same reason why some people like to be the stars and others prefer to watch the stars on tv. :(

Yes but now a whole new world of Dining Guides and Indicesexes has opened up right before your very eyes. :)

Hi, I'm Debbie (aka 2IPAs because of my love of hops)! A friend of mine recommended this site after I asked him where he gets all of his restaurant knowledge. Looking forward to reading the reviews so I can narrow down what I try. I live in Ballston and could go broke sampling every new place that opens!

Hello.

My name is Mike Lastort and my wife Jan and I live in Takoma Park, MD.

Jan used to be a pastry chef, and graduated from La Varenne Ecole de Cuisine, at the original campus that was in Paris. She used to cook for Roberto Donna at his first Galileo Restaurant, at the old P Street location (currently occupied by Al Tiramisu).

Hello All, I'm Phil and I just signed up, having followed a link to Jeff White's blog here on a year in his vineyard. I am a wine enthusiast, an avid amateur winemaker, and backyard vigneron out in the Shenandoah Valley. My "real" vocation has been in international transportation and logistics for way too many years, but my "dream job" would be working at a vineyard/winery. To scratch that itch I recently began working in the tasting room at Fox Meadow Winery in Linden, VA. If nothing else, the view from up on the mountain is absolutely gorgeous, but the wines are quite good too. I look forward to reading the many wine related (and other) posts, and look forward to meeting many of you here.

Cheers,

Phil

Greetings all!

I am new to the board, but not new to food & wine. I sell and market wine for a living. I started a wine school in the DC area a few years ago called the Capital Wine School (www.capitalwineschool.com). I look forward to reading and contributing to the site.

Thanks,

Jay Youmans CWE, MW

Hello! My name is Chris and I've lived in DC a bit over a year now. I've joined the board because I've already learned so much from reading anonymously, and I'd like to give back in return. I enjoy food experiences, particularly to ethnic spots where my eyes are opened to the tastes of the world. (Recently: Sichuan Pavilion in Rockville and Asian Delight dim sum in Silver Spring)

Also, I love craft beer and I used to do some homebrewing, before I moved to a small apartment where open flames are discouraged indoors. :(

Hi there, a long-time lurker but wanted to get my feet wet so to speak with my first post. Although no longer in the industry I have worked in the wine trade back in the day and am a committed and fanatical wine lover and food lover. Looking forward to getting stuck into some local events and sharing with those on the board.

Hi...I'm Bruce, I live in Oakton VA and am interested equally in cooking and eating out. I've recently had very good experiences eating out in Mexico and Ireland but from a local point of view still miss 'Maestro' dearly. Fabio 'ruined' all other local up-market restaurants for us! The Oakton/Vienna/Fairfax area is good for most food-buying but I would like a better supplier of fresh fish - neither Super H nor Wegman's impress me that much. This seems to be the best food site I've yet come across....I look forward to being part of it.

Hey Everyone,

I'm Steve and I am the Executive Chef at the Hilton in Springfield Va. I have worked in the area for about two and half years including opening the Gaylord National Old Hickory fine dining steak house, working with Will Artley at the Evening Star Cafe, and Opening Columbia Firehouse in Old Town Alexandria. Please check out the events and gatherings posts and keep an eye on the calender as September 23rd we have a beer dinner with Flying Dog Brewery at the hotel.

First Post Ever...

Greetings, I'm John and brand new to Don Rockwell. Not a food industry professional, just another DC professional. The family does love good food though and we frequent restaurants, food markets and even occasional wine events. Looking forward to using the restaurant guide and the collective wisdom on this board. Regards.

Hello, I'm John. I live in Takoma Park...a little too close to New Hampshire ave for comfort...especially in summer when the smell from the papusa truck and chinese carry-out dumpster wafts into my yard.

I am vegan and enjoy "fine" dining where I can find it in meatless form. I like to cook and enjoy good coffee and espresso. On weekends I battle my espresso machine to pump out tasty soy lattes and caps. I am not skilled at latte art yet, but that is one of my culinary goals. I am also a fan of Mexican Coca-Cola and sodas made with cane sugar.

I am looking forward to learning more about area restaurants and places to pick up food and cooking supplies.

thanks!

Hi, I'm NancyS! I've been eating in DC since 1980, when a big night out was drinking plonk at Fio's in the Woodner on 16th Street. Ah, times have changed! On Friday night I had a Martinez at the bar at Palena, made with Ransom Old Tom gin from Sheridan, Or. What a rich, woodsy treat that was; more like a Manhattan than anything resembling a Martini, which was fine with me. Then on to the cod cakes. Life is good. I'm looking forward to exploring and eating based on the wise advice of Don and the many great people on this site.