Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

:( First Post ever....

Hello to all. A brief introduction- I'm Kathryn Hull- recent addition to the staff at Corduroy. I am interested in learning more about this city through other people that work at other restaurants. A " dining tour guide " of sorts, I am in search for- the more the merrier. Anyone interested in filling this position or at least giving me some direction is well appreciated. It seems that HH at FF is the place to go to get started- but any other suggestions I would love as well.

Having lived in DC for many years and working in the food consulting business, I'd say try the ethnic restaurants. This city abounds in Vietnamese, Thai, Ethiopian, Latin American, Middle Eastern and more. Try the Eden Center in Arlington for Vietnamese and groceries, Masala Art for Indian, go out to Wheaton and walk around the Triangle Lane area. You'll think you landed in the United Nations. Try Annandale for Korean. Flip through the Washington Post dining section for "bests." The expense account restaurants are obvious and well known.

Hi I'm Kara. I'm looking forward to new perspectives and news on DC restaurants. My husband and I eat out a lot with our 2 kids, some of our family favorites being Bistro Bis, 2 Amys (duh), Palena Cafe, M Cafe, Brasserie Beck and, recently, Casa Nonna. Lots of new openings lately and I'm hoping to hear the scoop from others before trying some of them out...

Hi Folks,

I discovered your website a few months ago when the Dino Duck dinner was coming up, but somehow I never got around to starting out . . .

I've been in the area 5 years now, but I'm always looking for new ideas on where to get a fantastic meal.

I look forward to dining with you all!

Eli

Father of a 19 month old daughter we're trying to make sure has an appreciation of good food, since we certainly don't want to deprive ourselves as she grows up stuck in the wasteland of Chuck E Cheese. Pre-parenthood, we frequented a lot of the "top" restaurants in DC though that;s slacked off quite a bit, though she has been to Adour 3 times, and we had been regulars at Rays the Classics in Silver Spring, though haven't been in for a couple months. Do a lot of cooking at home in our remodeled kitchen with a wonderful 25k BTU wok burner. I have worked in the food industry as a sushi chef in Columbus, OH working my way through grad school. I now administer a homeless respite care facility in DC.

Hi all,

My name is Tim Ma and I'm the chef/owner of Maple Ave Restaurant in Vienna, VA. We've been open for just over a year now, and just wanted to introduce myself and check out the forums to keep up with everything. Thanks for this site and all its contributors!

Thanks!

Tim

Hi all,

My name is Dana and I heard about the site and was encouraged to join last night while at Galileo III (yum). My job (unfortunately) has nothing to do with the food industry, so won't bore you with that. I love food, though, and my favorite activity is eating in new restaurants, so I'm looking forward to keeping up with things through the site.

Dana

Greetings!

I'm one half of a couple that's planning a bunch of visits to the area in the coming months, possibly leading to a relocation. Sure, we have other criteria, but an important one for me: the dining scene.

So I'm looking forward to lurking a while, perhaps participating a bit, and learning more about what the area has to offer!

Hi!

I'm Laura and new to the site. My husband and I just returned from a trip to Croatia and, unfortunately, didn't find any great restaurants. We love to eat and dine and am looking forward to finding out about new places to eat.

Hard to believe: I'm 1/4 Croatian.

Harder to believe: I'm 1/4 Italian.

Hello my name is Emma and I am a recent Georgetown University graduate--excited about breaking the "Georgetown Bubble" and exploring restaurants in the rest of the city. I am getting more and more into cooking and love exploring different cuisines--which DC definitely has to offer. I am on the lookout for any suggestions of places to go whether it be happy hour, bars, or good restaurant experiences.

Hi all! My name is Jon and I've lived in Logan Circle area for 20 years. I've done a lot shopping for food recommendations on ChowHound, Tyler Cowen's guide, WP, Yelp (when desperate) etc; I've been a web-search junkie since before AltaVista and can't believe I never stumbled onto DR before. I blew away about 3 hours last night just perusing and reading. I really like that there are so many people from the trade posting here. This is quickly becoming my new favorite bookmark. I like reading about good food and good booze almost as much as eating it (which is why Montalbano, in book form, is a favorite detective). My wife is a serious foodie and seriously good cook; I'm neither. I just love eating and usually know when I am eating good food, but I can't tell you anything about it, and my memory is anemic - so I don't post much. I make about 5 drinks that people love, but I'm getting bored in my old age and have started experimenting. I love Belgian ales; I can recognize a really bad wine, but the nuances of good wines, unfortunately, are lost on me - so I'm the guy drinking the Moretti Rosa in the posh Italian place with the best wine cellar in town, and I do remember when they only have Bud and its insipid cousins available. I'm told I have a droll sense of humor; I haven't figured out what that means yet, but I do like to crank up bombasts with a bit of sarcasm.

Ciao!

Hi,

I'm Dan. I grew up in the DC Area and I've been here all of my 24 years except for a short stint in Atlanta for college. I currently live in Arlington and I'm starting to cook a lot on my own now that I can no longer rely on my parents to treat me to the next restaurant on my "list". Right now, I would have to say my favorite place to eat & drink in the area is Church Key. Other favorites of mine include Oyamel, Palena, and Bistro Bis. I am excited to learn about out-of-the-way places and dives that I've missed during my years here, as well as share my own experiences out.

-Dan

Long-time lurker, first time poster. My name is Brian, and I am a recovering big-firm lawyer. Love eating out, but now that I am no longer a big-firm lawyer my resources are diminished; so, I have been looking for interesting food at a good price point. Live in Arlington and tend to focus on Arlington and DC.

Good morning everyone!

I am very excited to be part of Don Rockwell's web site.

I have passion for food. I can't consider myself a "Good Cook" , however, I do try and God knows how!

I am most certain that knowing many of you would be a good and a learning experience for me. I currently work in a office, however, my dream is/was/or will be to be involved in a kitchen.

I enjoy entertaining and seeing people eating and having a good time... (I feel like a Nona!! :( !!... but it is indeed my biggest satisfaction!

Ahh and guess what? I will be at the picnic this Sunday!! I have to give thanks to two good friends whom introduced me to Don Rockwell's website.

I will see you soon,

Ciao

Nena

Hello all,

I attended the 2010 Fall Picnic yesterday with durwoodx and had a wonderful time. A few of the "memorable" highlights was the curry chicken, amazing fried chicken and chatting with several other members about food and theater. I moved to DC three years ago from Saint Louis, MO and still don't feel plugged into the food scene here. I am looking forward to learning more about what is available in the area as well as sharing my experiences and am always up for a drink in the Alexandria/DC area.

-Bryan Clark

HI All!

First post! About myself, my name is Amy--I live in Baltimore, I work in D.C. (my boyfriend also lives in D.C) so I spend a lot of time in both places!

I thoroughly enjoy the experience of eating out, whether it's fine dining or wings and football at a dive bar

Some DC favorites include: Brasserie Beck, Cork, Black's Bar Bethesda for Happy Hour, Zaytinya, DC Noodles!

Some Baltimore favorites: Pazo, Salt, The Brewer's Art, Jack's Bistro

I'm a big wine drinker, love making dinner and one of my guilty pleasures is watching REALLY bad TV...

I look forward to being a part of the Don Rockwell community :(

-A

Hi, I'm Weezy. Found this website through chowhound and haven't had much chance to poke around on this site yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I like cooking and eating and being around folks who like cooking and eating. Just saw the info about the picnic today, which I'm sorry to miss, but I'll get to another gathering, I'm sure. Bon appetit, y'all!

Hi. My first post. I am an avid home cook, Baker, restaurant goer and taker of cooking classes. I hit farmers' markets several times a week and my favorite shopping is at food-related businesses. Looking forward to exchanging ideas.

Hello there, My boyfriend and I are always looking for outstanding eating in the District and ethnic food adventures in the far flung suburbs, especially if it involves Korean bbq (for him) and anything vegetarian (for me). I'm excited to be part of the forum and take advantage of the wealth expertise that exists here. Nice to meet everyone! -Becca

Hello! This is my first post ever on Don Rockwell's blog. I've vaguely heard about this blog over the years. Reading Tim Carman's column in this week's City Paper sparked my curiosity about the blog. So here I am. I have nothing profound to say about food and the dining out experience except that I enjoy a really good meal and great cocktails.

Howdy,

Im fairly new here, although I signed up about 3 years ago when I thought I was going to be cooking in DC, but instead went west for San Francisco. Anyway, like I said I just moved to DC from SF for a new Exec. Chef position for a new (yet to open) restaurant. I should be fairly active in the forum, as Ive never really "been" to DC, even though I grew up in Richmond. For those of you who would like to know more about me professionally (and what to expect when the restaurant opens) here is a link to my review from SF.

Nice to meet everyone!

- Chef Johnny

Hey Rockwellers,

My name is Nevin Martell (aka willwriteforfood) and I'm a reformed music industry guru and TV development hack turned full-time freelance writer and amateur baker who covers the food scene, pop culture, and travel. Locally, I write about dining and edibles for the Express, Maryland Life, and Bethesda magazine. You can find some of my work on my website nevinmartell.com. If you want to reach out with story ideas, tips, recipes, tales about burning your hand in the deep fryer, whatever, feel free to do so. I'm at this address. I'm also open to any recommendations for good bagels (none of that bready crap that seems to pass around here) or a fantastic Chinese restaurant.

... open to any recommendations for good bagels (none of that bready crap that seems to pass around here) or a fantastic Chinese restaurant.

Wow, if you live in Montgomery County (which I am inferring based on your writing credits), and can't find good bagels and great Chinese, I'm not sure we can help you. Both are pretty much everywhere around here...

Hi - I just read a great article in today's Washington Post Food section about Don Rockwell and am excited to explore the site. Having dinner at Galileo tomorrow night so want some inside scoop

i know that we all think of ourselves as an affable and approachable lot, however, i have heard from more than a few people that one’s first post can be a little intimidating to write. i think that it would come easier after an introduction.

since i have a few friends who have recently joined the board, i have been thinking about this a bit recently. therefore, i am nominating this thread as the place to say hello. all of you lurkers, members without a post, etc, feel free to drop a line or two here. say hello. i swear it gets easier after your first one.

still not sure? ok, i'll start...

good day to everyone. i am new to the board. i am danny, i manage a little italian restaurant in foggy bottom. i found this board after a friend mentioned it to me, and am very happy to be here. i hope to be an active part of this community.

thanks, don and everyone else for letting me play in your sandbox.

Hi, I'm Frank. I saw the WP article and consider myself a food lover, so I signed up out of curiosity. I've been cooking at home for about 7 years now and have become borderline obsessed w/ food, although I am not in the food/restaurant industry. I look forward to some sharing and learning more, especially about the dc area.

Hello all! My wife and I along with our good friends are trying to hit the top 20 of the restaurants in the Washintonian's very best restaurants list. We are getting there but have not found better than Citronelle yet. We are looking forward to getting Michel at the Ritz in Tysons. Our friend hold us about this site and after reading today's Post article about Don Rockwell I realized it was time to join the community. I look forward to the info this place will provide.

Hi! I read the article this morning in the Post, got on the site, and because of it have signed up for the 3 Pig Dinner at Dino's for my birthday. Thrilled to be around other foodies, to find out about food happenings, and to talk about food. Thanks Don Rockwell!