Meanwhile, if you go up to the section of this forum devoted to Shopping and Cooking, you'll see the venerable mktye has compiled an index of topics. Look at the very top, above the list of current threads. Perhaps someone has already posted useful information.
Here is the current tea-buying thread in the Shopping and Cooking forum.

What a great resource! Thanks!

why are you so damn funny?

When you think about historic beefcake as much as I do, it just sort of happens sometimes.

Karen: I hope you'll engage the DR community in some of your own interests in food history, for example, which might have a home in "News and Media" if not elsewhere, even if it's old news.

I'll try, Anna.

Good morning. I'll be the brave one who follows Karen's postings.

I have been in NoVa for about 3 1/2 years, first in Franconia and now in Alexandria, and I'm very happy to have found DR.com. I thank Pontormo from eGullet for pointing me in this direction.

[ . . .]

I look forward to reading more of the boards and meeting you all!

-Linda

I'm happy to see you here, Linda. :(

Hi Everyone

My name is Rob and I have been reading this board for almost a year and I love your reviews (they are so helpful). My favorite restaurant of the moment is the Carlyle in Shirlington.

i know that we all think of ourselves as an affable and approachable lot, however, i have heard from more than a few people that one's first post can be a little intimidating to write. i think that it would come easier after an introduction.

since i have a few friends who have recently joined the board, i have been thinking about this a bit recently. therefore, i am nominating this thread as the place to say hello. all of you lurkers, members without a post, etc, feel free to drop a line or two here. say hello. i swear it gets easier after your first one.

still not sure? ok, i'll start...

good day to everyone. i am new to the board. i am danny, i manage a little italian restaurant in foggy bottom. i found this board after a friend mentioned it to me, and am very happy to be here. i hope to be an active part of this community.

thanks, don and everyone else for letting me play in your sandbox.

If I could pose a question to the board....what is the single most essential / most used / most loved / most important piece of kitchen equipment that you have in your home?

That would have to be my 8" Shun chef's knife!

Hi folks,

I'm a novice food blogger (FoodRockz) and an all-around food fanatic living and working in the Dupont/Logan neighborhoods. I've only been reading this site for a couple of weeks, but love it so far and, consequently, have decided to jump in to a greater level of involvement.

Happy Restaurant Week!

I wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I am Ben. I was looking for a place in DC that served Chicken Fried Steak or Country Fried Steak and was told that this was the site to visit. Outside of Cracker Barrel my strongest lead for Chicken Fried Steak is Mad Hatter. Regardless, I'm looking forward to turning to this site for advice on noshing, eating and dining in DC! I'll add my opinion when I can.
Welcome, Ben! If you can make it over to Old Town, head to Southside on S. Washington. They tend to run out on the weekends, but it's worth the trip.

My name is Tom. I hail from Chicago, go to school at Claremont McKenna (at the Eastern edge of LA County) and am spending the spring 2008 on my school's DC semester program. I found this site from a link on lthforum.com, a Chicago food board. I'll be looking for some places where I can get some good food on a college students budget.

Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm a foodie.

It's been three weeks since my last steak or donut. My doctor and wife told me to lose 20 lbs or:

1. die and
  2. have affection withheld.

Hopefully in that order.

Hey everyone,

My name is Andy. I'm 30, a virgo, and enjoy long walks on the beach and hot tubs. :mellow:

I have been lurking on the board for a few months now. Amit mentioned the board to me a few months back after I attended the Colorado Kitchen DR dinner meetup thing and here I am.

So far I have really enjoyed reading the restaurant reviews and some of the cooking/food shopping remarks that have been made. Thanks a lot for the information.

Some of the places I enjoy are: Colorado Kitchen, Central, PS7, 2 Amys, Great Wall Schezuan House, Florida Ave Grill (late night), and Temperance Hall (before the name change, rye and Scott departure).

Before DC was Philly, where I loved going to BYOB restaurants and dive bars. I miss those a lot.

I love drinking really fine craft and imported beers, and I hope to learn something about wine (Cork is opening down the street from me).

Glad to be here, hope everyone has a nice evening.

-Andy

Hey everyone,

My name is Andy.

What we need now is for two other people to register named Orson and Nottingham - you guys can form a (Möbius) band called The Boolean Operators. smile.gif

What we need now is for two other people to register named Orson and Nottingham - you guys can form a (Möbius) band called The Boolean Operators. smile.gif

Hello Don, welcome to the board! Your response is too cryptic. Can you explain it? We are not smart here.

hi there,

my name is Rob Thornton and i live in the Land of Strip Malls (aka Rockville Pike). i've got a limited food budget so i'm here to get more from my food dollar. i began in eGullet and went out to a DC dinner with some of those folks (Bob's Noodles 66) but it seems that there's more local chat at DonRocks so voila i am here. :mellow:

one food tip: the local Crisp & Juicy seems to have picked up some slack in the last few months and is becoming competitive with El Pollo Rico again. Crisp tasty skin and moist chicken--ahh thats the stuff.

rob

Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm a foodie.

It's been three weeks since my last steak or donut. My doctor and wife told me to lose 20 lbs or:

1. die and
  2. have affection withheld.

Hopefully in that order.

I am on Weight Watchers (online) with my wife since January 7th myself. I've managed to lose 10 pounds already. Doc says I need to lose a good bit more

I have to tell you the thing that I hate hate HATE is more or less not being able to eat out when I want to. If I am lucky, I have a once a week splurge.

That said, I am pleasantly surprised that it is not as hard as I thought it would be.

BTW, welcome aboard!

i began in eGullet and went out to a DC dinner with some of those folks (Bob's Noodles 66) but it seems that there's more local chat at DonRocks so voila i am here. :mellow:
I think you've come full circle, Rob, since many of those folk are here.

Welcome!

Hi! My name is Cheryl and I live in Southwestern PA, near Pittsburgh. I visit the D.C. area quite often and I thought that this would be a good place to see what is happening in the area when I visit.

D.C. has some of the best restaurants around. I have visited many but am always looking for new places to haunt.

i began in eGullet and went out to a DC dinner with some of those folks (Bob's Noodles 66) but it seems that there's more local chat at DonRocks so voila i am here.
I think you've come full circle, Rob, since many of those folk are here.

I think I was at that dinner too...

My name is Renee- my pen name on my website is Aphioni. I review a wide variety of services in Ashburn VA and nearby, but i'm just getting started so my site may look a bit narrow... :mellow:

I've been eating all my life so i feel pretty qualified to judge what i like and don't like, hence, the reviews. Lima beans and liver- DON'T LIKE. Steak and cheese- LIKE! See- it's that easy, and that's the only qualification i think one needs to review meals. I think the key is making other people taste your words and go to make the decision for themselves on whether they agree.

I've lurked for awhile and found thqat you folks take dining- not food-but the whole experience- as seriously as i do, so i feel at home! I'm looking forward to agreeing and disagreeing with you... thanks for letting me in.

ciao,

Renee aka Aphioni

www.aphioni.com