Hello Don, welcome to the board! Your response is too cryptic. Can you explain it? We are not smart here.

All will become clear Mark, if you'd just explain to Don about AOC requirements fo' cru Beaujolais.

He's especially confused 'bout de Morgon's laws. Tanks.

Hi, my name is Dan. After a long hiatus from eating out, I have recently started going out again, and am eager to try some of these restaurants I've been missing out on. I used to check this site once in a while, but now I find myself visiting more often, so I decided to become a member.

Favorite restaurants include Corduroy, Grapeseed, PS7's, Montsouris, Bar Pilar, Iron Bridge, and Raku.

To try list: Komi, Minibar, Restaurant Eve, Palena, and well, it doesn't really end...

Drunk dining: Ben's Chili Bowl, Amsterdam, probably some other places that I don't even remember...

Brunch is my favorite meal of the week.

Beer. Brunch. Bloody Mary.

Hi Bob Loblaw. Love the screename!

Where's your favorite brunch in the district?

I'm pretty partial to Logan Tavern, mainly because they make the best Bloody Marys (as I just mentioned in the other thread). I basically have two requirements for brunch: 1) a good Bloody Mary and 2) good food, preferably with something "Benedict" on the menu. I know Bourdain warns against Hollandaise, but I can't help it. I don't get it all the time, but it's nice to know that it's available.

I've been to plenty of places that have good food, but the Bloody Mary is not up to par, and that just ruins it for me. It doesn't cure my hangover, it makes it worse...

And so I found that Logan Tavern has a good balance of my two requirements and so it's my go to place. But since I discovered this place, I haven't tried much else. I plan on trying Tabard Inn and Poste some day...

I'm pretty partial to Logan Tavern, mainly because they make the best Bloody Marys (as I just mentioned in the other thread). I basically have two requirements for brunch: 1) a good Bloody Mary and 2) good food, preferably with something "Benedict" on the menu. I know Bourdain warns against Hollandaise, but I can't help it. I don't get it all the time, but it's nice to know that it's available.

I've been to plenty of places that have good food, but the Bloody Mary is not up to par, and that just ruins it for me. It doesn't cure my hangover, it makes it worse...

And so I found that Logan Tavern has a good balance of my two requirements and so it's my go to place. But since I discovered this place, I haven't tried much else. I plan on trying Tabard Inn and Poste some day...

Eggs B. without Hollandaise? Noooooooooo!

I love it too!

Welcome.

Bob, do you have a law blog by any chance?

Why yes I do--Bob Loblaw's Law Blog. I know, I'm a mouthful :mellow:

Nice avatar, btw.

Where's your favorite brunch in the district?

I have to revise my previous statement. Georgia Brown's is my actual favorite brunch. But it's not a place I can frequent on account of the price. The food is great, and while the Bloody Mary is not the best, they somewhat make up for it with the steamed shrimp garnish.

Bob,

Get yourself over to Billy Martin's Tavern on Wisconsin Ave. in Goergetown some Sunday for 2 reasons:

1) Excellent, freshly made Bloody Marys with seasoned salt rimmed glass and large celery stalk

2) FRIED OYSTERS BENEDICT. Yes, I said FRIED OYSTERS BENEDICT!

Bob,

Get yourself over to Billy Martin's Tavern on Wisconsin Ave. in Goergetown some Sunday for 2 reasons:

1) Excellent, freshly made Bloody Marys with seasoned salt rimmed glass and large celery stalk

2) FRIED OYSTERS BENEDICT. Yes, I said FRIED OYSTERS BENEDICT!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check this place out some time. Fried Oysters Benedict is a variation I've been meaning to try. Sounds like it would pair well with that Bloody Mary!

This is actually my second post but allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Rob. I live in Rockville and work in Silver Spring. I'm not in the food industry and never have been save a short stint working the counter at Burger King in high school. I'm a Scorpio :mellow:

I love to cook and eat and I've been interested in food and dining since I was reading my mom's cookbooks at age 7 or so.

I'll eat anything although my preferences lean against "gamey" meats and offal. My cooking tends to be Western although I can cook up a decent Japanese meal.

My favorite restaurant in DC is Komi and I like Zengo at that price point.

Hello! I just joined last week and I am happy to find this forum. For a moment, I fancied that I had stumbled upon a secret society! (of people who knew where all the good food in DC was but didn't want to tell anyone because then everyone would go to those restaurants and then where would you be??) :mellow:

I moved to DC in 2004 from Providence, RI, where I was born. I came down here to work for a national non-profit and really love what I do. Unfortunately, working for a non-profit also means I have to curtail my spending on food so I still haven't been able to try all of the restaurants on my list.

My partner, Chris, and I both love food. Some of our favorite places are Dama (Ethiopian in Arlington, VA), Song Que (Vietnamese sandwiches and bubble tea! in Eden Center), Afghan Grille, Sawatdee (Thai near Courthouse Metro), and nothing beats a Jumbo Slice from Pizza Boli after a night out in Adams Morgan. We've only been to Corduroy once but we need to go back so we can each order the scallops (YUM!)

My food story:

I'm not much of a cook but I grew up surrounded by food. My parents used to run a produce delivery business where my dad would drive down to Florida in a big truck, buy produce, and drive back up to New England to deliver it to Asian specialty stores. After that business ran its course, my dad moved to Maine to open a seafood exporter business. He hired divers to retrieve sea urchin and then shipped them to Japan. In the meantime, my mom opened up an Asian specialty grocery market in Providence. So, all of this was just to say that I had access to the freshest foods all the time when I was growing up and fell in love with vegetables and fruits and seafood. Not only that but my mom was an excellent cook. I know people say that all the time about their mothers but her food was magical. I think I'm addicted to food now because of all the wonderful dishes I had growing up.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

speedyjnet

(this name was given to me in 6th grade by my best friend because I had a tendency to eat faster than anyone else at the lunch table. she also called me 'little vacuum')

Hey all!

While I have lurked for some time, and at varying intensities, I have finally decided to step out of the shadows. I "think" that I found this site through Chowhound, where I am actually a semi-regular poster, and not-at-all a lurker, which is what I hope to become on here.

About me? Well... My name is Kat, I live in the 14th St./ Logan Circle area, and I dearly love food in any way, shape, or form. Except bananas. Disgusting texture. And the boyfriend and I tend to eat out, or cook multi-course meals, quite often.

My Work? *Gasp*, I also work for the government. Unfortunately. My fondest memories are of waitressing at higher-end restaurants throughout college and being part of the restaurant/food "in-circle" shall we say. Not to mention the food-discounts that went along with it! Ha.

Okay, that is all. For now. But looking forward to being on here more often! (Just think of your tax dollars at work.)

Ta Ta,

K

Howdy Ya'll,

Since this is my first post, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Marshall, live in Arlington and work downtown. I've been an avid cook ever since I was knee-high to a grasshoper and owe my love of the hooch from my moonshining, bootlegging, scofflaw kin. I love to try new restaurants and finding great cocktails. For the last several months a good friend and I have been writing a cocktail blog (www.scofflawsden.com) and totally geeking out about cocktails. It's sad to admit, but I have needed to rearrange my kitchen three times to make room for my personal bar, tinctures, syrups, infusions and the like. Plus a good third of the fridge is dedicated to the liquid arts.

A new friend, Joe Riley, suggested I check out DonRockwell.com after a long talk about spirits and cocktails. I'm looking forward to reading, learning and maybe even making some new friends on here.

Cheers,

Marshall

I'm just reading some of the new members posts and wow!, we've got some really intersting people joining. I'm looking forward to reading what you all have to say. Now new folks, repeat after me.

Must post regularly.

Must post regularly.

Must post regularly.

make room for my personal bar, tinctures, syrups, infusions and the like.

Welcome! Would love to read a bit more about this, if you care to post for us. :-)

Welcome! Would love to read a bit more about this, if you care to post for us. :-)

Hey Porcupine! I certainly will be posting more on this. Feel free to check out my blog (the URL is in my sig) in the mean time. Of course, if anyone out there has suggestions, tips, critiques, etc., I'm all ears!

Cheers!

Marshall

Sari Kurland Bloch - owner of Bobby's Crabcakes with husband Bobby Bloch.

Bankruptcy lawyer, mother of three teenagers and now restaurant owner.

Thank you to all the Don Rockwellians for your compliments and visits to our new restaurant. We appreciate your comments, suggestions and thank you for your support of our new venture.

Sari Kurland Bloch - owner of Bobby's Crabcakes with husband Bobby Bloch.

Bankruptcy lawyer, mother of three teenagers and now restaurant owner.

Thank you to all the Don Rockwellians for your compliments and visits to our new restaurant. We appreciate your comments, suggestions and thank you for your support of our new venture.

The "bankruptcy lawyer" and "restaurant owner" parts might come in handy in tandem!

Cheers Sari, and thank you for joining and posting. ;)

Rocks

Hello everyone,

I've posted a few times already, but I just stumbled across this thread and thought I would "introduce" myself. Let me preface this by saying how thrilled I was about a year or so ago to come across this site. I lurked for a while, started posting tentatively recently, and hope to be a more regular contributor (and meet some of you nice folks) in the future.

I grew up in Maryland. One of my earliest food memories, from when I was 7 or so, is overhearing a family friend telling my father that the crabs they were enjoying were an "adult" taste that I was too young to appreciate. My natural stubbornness emerged and I plowed through a plate of the critters. I don't remember if I really liked them or not, but ever since then I've been an adventurous and enthusiastic eater, which has served me well in some far-flung places, from Spain to Egypt to Ethiopia to Bangladesh.

My wife and I are very happy residents of the U Street area (who could complain living just a short walk from Cork, Bar Pilar, Vinoteca, Dukem, Saint Ex, and Ben's?) Some of my favorite local meals have been at Bistro D'Oc, Montmartre, sushi at Hinata in Bethesda, Mini Bar, Mark's Duck House, Jaleo, and the new Cork. We have reservations at Komi two Fridays from now and I can't wait.

Like all of you, I'm sure, I believe one of life's great pleasures is eating good food and drinking good wine with friends and family. I also really enjoy writing about food, and started a blog (fits and starts is more like it) that I wish I had more time to contribute to.

I'm not in the business, but I'd love to be someday. Right now I analyze survey data to solve business problems for large companies. But I'm convinced that there's an untapped opportunity to use similar methods to increase profits for restaurants, which is an area I'd love to explore one day.

Cheers,

Dan

The "bankruptcy lawyer" and "restaurant owner" parts might come in handy in tandem!

Cheers Sari, and thank you for joining and posting. ;)

Rocks

Don, no sane person, let alone bankruptcy lawyer ever goes into the restuarant business!!! I blame it all on my husband but have no regrets!!!

Sari Kurland Bloch

Hello All,

My name is Cameron and I am cook at Cashion's Eat Place. I am recent graduate of L'Academie de Cuisine and have been cooking at Cashion's for about a year. Looking forward to future posts.

cheers!

I've been meaning to post on here but I've been lazy. For some reason a lazy Sunday makes me less lazy. Or something. I'm not quite sure.

Along with Marshall my primary thing (well, other than my dreadfully boring day job) right now is our blog, the Scofflaw's Den. Marshall tends to be more of the historian in the group, I tend to write more - I also write video game reviews, book reviews, the very occasional restaurant review, and keep meaning to write My Novel - and just concentrate on the drinkin' aspect of it. Now that I've done some rearranging I do have more room to experiment with things like infusions and macerating or however the heck you spell that word.

I did manage to hit the rhum tasting last Monday which means I got to meet Jake - though I first heard of these boards from Joe Riley over at Ace Beverage, whom I have been donating to for the past few weeks regularly in order to help maintain my obsessive compulsive desire to own everything possible to make any kind of drink I can think of.

CHARTREUSE?! GAH I FORGOT THAT...

Sorry.

I spent a lot of time last summer hitting various restaurants around DC that I'd always wanted to try while going out with a succession of young ladies. Unfortunately that means my memories of many of them are fuzzy thanks to hooch and hormones while my bank account is still recovering. Since then I've been trying to continue to be explorative even if it's more likely I'm going by myself (though next week Marshall and I travel up to NYC to visit an old friend who cooks at Acquavit).

For the rest of me - I really got into cooking and the such thanks to said old friend when he was a chef in a few different restaurants in Charlottesville and later Richmond. I spent 10 years in C'ville, mostly at UVA in various guises, and have been in the northern VA area now for about 3 1/2 years. It just feels like longer.

Right now my specialty in foods tends to be my wings, which I get lots of compliments on when I make them. For drinks, I tend to go all around the spectrum, though one friend's dad told me that I made the first Manhattan he'd ever had that he didn't need to send back to the bartender. I'm just mostly practicing on my Sazeracs nowadays when I'm not working on Mixology Monday posts for the blog.

So, uh, howdy everyone, and I'll stop babbling now. I really should get back to work getting our blog migrated over to the new site, but I've still got to write a review of Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and of some John Varley books, a preview of Deca Sports, and I've got to make that latter one sound good...

Greetings all,

I'm Mood, first timer at food boards. I currently work at an artisan bread bakery located in DC. I look forward to meeting you all--cheers! I should add, I'm currently an undergrad studying at UVa, but taking the summer off ;)

My husband and I love going out to eat. We particularly enjoy ethnic restaurants in Arlington. Some of our faves are Lebanese Taverna in Westover, Nam Viet in Clarendon, Bamiyan and Raaga in Bailey's Crossroads, Bankgkok 54 on Columbia Pike, and El Paso at Pershing and Glebe. I can't think of other faves right now, but I know there are others. If I had my druthers, I'd go out to eat almost every night of the week. As it is, my husband and I go out about five times a week, although we often go to places like Chipotle and Panera for a cheapy meal. Love this forum for the restaurant discussions.