Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hello, all. My name is Lanotte. I am a bitter and vengeful person. I enjoy sandwiches, Muppets, mischievous kittens, pity and contempt. I cook for a living and wear a leather jacket which officially qualifies me as a badass. I am known for eating a large bowl of pho then walking a few doors down for a Ray's burger and a root beer float. Women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence. This post is brought to you by the letter H. That is all.

Hello All.

I'm Eben, a chef.

I am appropriately rotund due to excessive indulgence in food and drink.

I like the typical chef things...booze, knives, pork, bitching about work, harsh cleaning supplies, support hose...

I live in Pennsylvania, which puts me outside the sphere most of you run in, but I'm a voracious information hound when it comes to food and liquor so I'm peeking my head in where I don't really belong.

I've trained my wife so thoroughly that, now, she's the harsh critic and I sometimes want to ignore the shortcomings and just enjoy myself.

I need to find an alternative to spray 'n wash that's more eco-friendly.

I probably need knee replacement surgery because I hate floor mats.

I'll talk about anything I know a little about with the conviction of a seasoned expert, so call me on it if you notice me being blatantly wrong.

I'm glad to be here...thanks for the opportunity.

I'm Eben, a chef.

I live in Pennsylvania, which puts me outside the sphere most of you run in, but I'm a voracious information hound when it comes to food and liquor so I'm peeking my head in where I don't really belong.

Hi Eben. I've eaten, several times, in your dining room - the husband is from Yardley and his parents love the Yardley Inn.

You do a nice job.

I'm John, a reformed writer from L.A. who has moved on to the do-gooder business. Food is a hobby. This week, I read the NYTimes dining section story, "Now in Brooklyn, the 19th Century." I felt the urge to pack and take one of those inexpensive bus trips one-way to the borough where you can barter handcrafted chocolate for a jar of good pickles. Before I take the step, however, I thought I'd peek in and see what's happening closer to home. A friend recommends this community.

Does anyone know where to find a really good steel wok? (Ok ok, I'll go searching here before I ask anything more).

Cheers

Hi.

My name is Matt. I've been in the DC area hospitality industry for about 10 years now and am currently at Tallula / EatBar. I like this site because it helps me stay informed both personally and professionally. That's all for now.

What up all... been lurking for a couple months now... I live right in Clarendon so I like to see some of the reviews of the places in the area... As for me, mid-20's, that does too many things to excess, drinking, working out, eating, partying :rolleyes:

Recently had a work dinner at Tallula and thoroughly enjoyed the many courses. Even the rabbit.

-Josh

Hi there -- I'm Rebecca, originally from Pittsburgh, here in DC for almost 12 years now! I'm dying to try the "DC version" of the Primanti Brothers sandwich!

There's a DC version?? I had one in Pitts a couple years ago before a Mets/Pirates game... And before STYX played on the field in front of tons and tons of fireworks... what a night haha

There's a DC version?? I had one in Pitts a couple years ago before a Mets/Pirates game... And before STYX played on the field in front of tons and tons of fireworks... what a night haha
There was a bit about a week ago (I forget which media) saying as how Peter Smith had enjoyed one in the 'burgh and had come back to his kitchen at PS7 and created his own version. On the lounge menu below

"Primanti Brothers" Special 7.5
Our creative spin on the Pittsburgh favorite, with sopressata,
pepper slaw and topped with French Fries

Hello All...

My name is John Dober, I am the Executive Chef of Monterey Bay Fish Grotto in Tysons Corner. Although I do work (and LIVE) the food biz.. I still try to be a "foodie" in my spare time. I have heard that this is THE site for people "in the know". So I look very forward to participating.

Little background on myself...

My wife and I moved here last year when the restaurant opened. I am born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA. I have been with Monterey Bay for the last 5 years. We have 2 baby boxer puppies that we love like our children. Overall we have enjoyed the moved down here.. new and exciting city and all.. really a sum-up of where I am right now lol.

I have been working on Kindai Bluefin Tuna for the last 6 months, and have to say that it has been a great success for me personally as well as what I hope for the d.c. dining public. lol can't wait to see what's next on the agenda.. anyway it is very late and just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself as I did join this afternoon..

Look forward to talking to some great people..

Hi, my name is Xi. I live and work around the Falls Church area. I found out about this forum through a coworker who I'd pester about what's good eating around here. I love finding out about new restaurants and trying new places. This site'll hopefully help me discover some gems I'd otherwise probaly never try.

Howdy, all. This is Jordan chiming in from Alexandria, VA.

I joined this board because I'm keenly interested in continuing to expand my horizons with all things culinary. I lurked for a bit and was struck by how knowledgeable and constructive everyone seemed. Like many of you, I like to keep my flame wars limited to the grilling arenas.

I'm not a chef or food purveyor by profession, just one of the many who aims for the "endearing" side of the food-obsessed continuum. I've been posting my culinary creations to my Flickr-based "Food Forum" for a couple of years now. If any of you are members of the IFA photo pool, the entries from KMang0 are mine.

My w00ts: CSAs, Cheesetique in Del Ray, Al Bap at Han Gang in Annandale, Tachibana in McLean, the lifeblood that is my Technivorm coffee maker, Common Market in Frederick, Penzey's in Falls Church, Counter Culture microlot or sun dried anything, Anson Mills, blue agave sweetener, fennel pollen - and that's what little girls are made of

My woes: buffet anything, packed restaurants on Hallmark holidays, DC's Restaurant Week, my tragic intolerance for more than a glass or two of wine or sake, the center aisles of most grocery stores

I adore Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Afghan, Burmese, Szechuan, and Catonese restaurants so will be keeping an eye out for new ones to try. Passionate specialty store owners are some of my favorite people, and I hope to learn of a few more through the postings here. I am also a huge advocate of stores and restaurants that feature locally grown/raised/crafted products, even the teeny tiny places with just a few selections.

I am also an off-the-chart extrovert and hope to meet some of you at a food-focused event soon!

Hello! I'm someone who has lurked for a while and wanted to post and say hello. My name is Una. I live in Springfield but my husband (Steve) and I enjoy eating at restaurants throughout the DC area! Looking forward to being a bit more active in reading and posting! Thanks!

Well met,

I'm a diplomat currently posted overseas, but returning to DC this summer. After many months of silently observing developments in the DC foodie universe via this site among others, I figured I'd take the dive...

Why wait so long? See, it's been a masochistic behavior reading this site for the last 20 months or so about the new Ray's the Steaks location; the emergence of CommonWealth, Eventide, Central, and others; and what generally seems to have been a good couple of years for the DC food scene. I figured, reading the restaurant reviews would make it even MORE painful.

Then again, I never bothered to read any of these sites until I actually moved away, so I really have no one to blame but myself for my suffering. But all that is coming to an end, and I will be back in Arlington soon, hip deep in head cheese and barbecue. See you all soon back on the West Side of the Atlantic.

Hello Group!

Jay Comfort here. I an an ex-pat DC chef now residing in Ashland, VA (the center of the universe). My current dig is an american brasserie cum community focused restaurant in the town of Ashland, VA - IRON HORSE. It's the cornerstone of our small town and a great place to visit! We're one block South of the rail station (accessible by Amtrak) so there's no reason not to make a trip.I've lurked here for a few weeks and am looking forward to participating in the future.

Turn ons: game, charcuterie, offal, personal responsibility for foodstuffs, victory gardens, sustainable agriculture, thrill of the hunt, fishing, anything made from fermented grapes and some things made from fermented grain and cacti, compost and foragers selling their goods at the back door.

Turn offs: factory food, commerical processing, overly stuffy food, menus that require a thesaurus or read like a F-ING Haiku, deconstruction, high fructose corn syrup, food fads, Guy Fierro, domestic beer (Miller High Life excepted), wine that doesn't move me and pushy salespeople.

Cheers!

Joseph (Jay) Comfort

WELCOME IRONHORSE!!

Where in DC did you work before? There use to be a place in Timonium called "Bill Pellington's Iron house" Bill was a neighbor and a ex Baltimore Colt.

Hello Group!

Jay Comfort here. I an an ex-pat DC chef now residing in Ashland, VA (the center of the universe). My current dig is an american brasserie cum community focused restaurant in the town of Ashland, VA - IRON HORSE. It's the cornerstone of our small town and a great place to visit! We're one block South of the rail station (accessible by Amtrak) so there's no reason not to make a trip.I've lurked here for a few weeks and am looking forward to participating in the future.

Turn ons: game, charcuterie, offal, personal responsibility for foodstuffs, victory gardens, sustainable agriculture, thrill of the hunt, fishing, anything made from fermented grapes and some things made from fermented grain and cacti, compost and foragers selling their goods at the back door.

Turn offs: factory food, commerical processing, overly stuffy food, menus that require a thesaurus or read like a F-ING Haiku, deconstruction, high fructose corn syrup, food fads, Guy Fierro, domestic beer (Miller High Life excepted), wine that doesn't move me and pushy salespeople.

Cheers!

Joseph (Jay) Comfort

Hi everyone-

I signed up for an account a while ago but for some reason never did my first post. I am a big time foodie, and love to cook. I have traveled the world a bit, and think the best way to really get to know a culture is through their food. I often find the majority of my trips are based around eating. I am also the owner of DC Metro Food Tours, a company I started in late 2007.

Anyways, I am excited to finally make my first post and actively participate in the community!

hello hello...

another newbie to the forum, I actually grew up around DC (gaithersburg), but have since taken a job in Alabama...I've been traveling back recently to visit my brother (of Columbia Heights), who recommended this as the place to go for everything food for DC. Personally, I love food, although the driving force for many places I go is often the beer (which drew me to Brasserie Beck, of which a whole post is merited)

Anyways, good to be here!

Hey all,

My name is Gennaro, and I'm a second year student at American University. While I'm not exactly in the food business, my father owns and plays the role of head chef in an a Italian restaurant back in New Jersey, so I've been exposed to good food for a while. Only recently have I become really interested in cooking as well as trying out restaurants though.

Some favorites in the DC area so far: Founding Farmers, Meiwah, 2 Amys

A student's budget doesn't exactly allow too many dining adventures, but some places I'm looking forward to trying soon: The trio of Ray's Restaurants, Ceiba, Rasika, Granville Moore's, 15 Ria, and of course a whole bunch of other places that aren't quite in my price range yet.

Looking forward to getting involved on the boards, and I'll see you all around

Gennaro

My name is Gennaro, and I'm a second year student at American University. While I'm not exactly in the food business, my father owns and plays the role of head chef in an a Italian restaurant back in New Jersey, so I've been exposed to good food for a while. Only recently have I become really interested in cooking as well as trying out restaurants though.
Benvenuto! It's great to have a college student interested enough to sign up. Do you have a place where you can cook at AU?

Benvenuto! It's great to have a college student interested enough to sign up. Do you have a place where you can cook at AU?

Hey Anna, thanks for the warm welcome. I do have a place to cook here on campus. I live in the dorms, and each floor is equipped with a shared kitchen that is in the common room. It's a hassle to carry equipment and ingredients back and forth from my room, but I've been cooking more and more, and it's worth it. I just can't wait until I have my own kitchen though - and a not mini refrigerator to go along with it.

Hey all,

Some favorites in the DC area so far: Founding Farmers, Meiwah, 2 Amys

A student's budget doesn't exactly allow too many dining adventures, but some places I'm looking forward to trying soon: The trio of Ray's Restaurants, Ceiba, Rasika, Granville Moore's, 15 Ria, and of course a whole bunch of other places that aren't quite in my price range yet.

Looking forward to getting involved on the boards, and I'll see you all around

Gennaro

Where in the wonderful world of NJ is the restaurant?

i know that we all think of ourselves as an affable and approachable lot, however, i have heard from more than a few people that one’s first post can be a little intimidating to write. i think that it would come easier after an introduction.

since i have a few friends who have recently joined the board, i have been thinking about this a bit recently. therefore, i am nominating this thread as the place to say hello. all of you lurkers, members without a post, etc, feel free to drop a line or two here. say hello. i swear it gets easier after your first one.

still not sure? ok, i'll start...

good day to everyone. i am new to the board. i am danny, i manage a little italian restaurant in foggy bottom. i found this board after a friend mentioned it to me, and am very happy to be here. i hope to be an active part of this community.

thanks, don and everyone else for letting me play in your sandbox.

Hi, all!

I'm Sean, and I've been in DC for almost two years. I'm always looking for new places to dine and embibe, especially as I am now fully transitioned from the college/early 20's drinking scene. I'm particularly interested in exploring new places in emerging neighborhoods in and around DC, as well as 'emerged' neighborhoods in which I have not spent much time. I have visitors from back home and elsewhere on a regular basis, and I love giving them a unique experience when they visit.

I hope to gain some insight into these things through this board.

As my handle states, I reside in SW, but I am particularly fond of the U Street area (being from KC, I love the jazz connection), and I very much enjoy a relaxed, laid-back experience when I go out. No noisy crowds of drunkards, please!

Any recommendations that might fit that (admittedly broad) description would be great.

Thanks!

Sean

Hello everyone, its great to be apart of the DC Food'ie Community. Its so hard to find good food in the DC Area, I'm glad there are passionate people out here doing the footwork keeping us informed.

Now, time to find me some tokoyaki and okonomiyaki! :rolleyes:

Howdy folks - My name is Nick and I am an amateur foodie. There isn't much to myself that matters here except that I love to cook and love to eat well. Been in DC for three years and following the DR suggestions/reviews via blogs like DC Foodies and Young and Hungry for a while now.

Looking forward to posting about my food opinions and experiences here in the future. This month I have quite the eating tour lined up as friends come in from out of town - Kaz tonight, CityZen and Central in a few weeks and hopefully a some Seven Corners ethnic dining in between.

Cheers- Nick

Hello everyone, its great to be apart of the DC Food'ie Community.
Is this because the lines at Ray's are so long or are you simply more inclined to stand on the sidelines and watch?

Please consult other topics listed under Events and Gatherings. Perhaps you'll be inspired to join in on some $20 Tuesday or picnic and thus, find pleasure in being a part of the community instead! :rolleyes:

Hey my name's Toby and I heard about this site from my buddy Chris I used to work with. I am steadily becoming more interested in cooking and eating a wide variety of foods, and I thought this would be a great place to start to learn about these things.

I have already found some helpful tips on here, so I look forward to learning more.

I will probably have more qurestions than tips, so thanks to everyone in advance for the help.

Toby

Hi, I haven't been on the site for a while, but got an email asking if I were still interested. Yes, I am. I need to get re-energized about the food scene in DC. Have been traveling a lot and am a little out of touch. Will try to check in more often.

Cynthia

Hello hello,

My name is Sarah; I've been a non-registered lurker for quite some time, reading posts with my husband, whom you know as Hexerei. So I'm at least slightly familiar with some of the major personalities around here! I'm not an industry person at all (apart from some unfortunate teenaged dues-paying experiences), but, well, I like to eat a lot and I like to cook a lot. I'm a sucker for well-organized and -written cookbooks, especially of the more technical variety. Am currently working at A Large Nonprofit Organization but headed off to grad school in the fall, so I'll be thinking pretty hard in the near future about cooking cheaply. I'm very excited to be here!

Hi All-

My name's Will. I'm actually studying in Michigan for the next two years, so I'm just posting so Don doesn't remove me from the user list. I'm looking forward to coming back to DC and getting back into the food culture, though. I'll try not to be so much of a lurker once I actually, uh, live in DC again. I'm already preparing a mental list of places to eat when I visit this summer. Laksa at Malaysia Kopitiam is top of the list right now. Can't wait.

-W

Hello! My name is Lisa Shapiro. I was born in Washington, DC, raised in Montgomery County, MD and now I live in Northern Virginia. I love the DC area!

I've been following the DC area dining scene since 1996-1997. I started following Phyllis Richman years ago and as a hobby started to collect the Washington Post Magazine Dining Review every single Sunday. Yes, I have almost every single review since August 1997 in binders in plastic sheaves. I know ... it's a bit much ... but I can't stop Now!

I started blogging a few years ago "Dining in DC" and just recently earned the coveted position of DC Restaurant Examiner for Examiner.com

For years, I haven't considered myself a restaurant critic, I still don't ... I like like food, dining, and Dining in DC.

I'm just starting to ramp up ... of course you can't be a food writer without being a part of the Don Rockwell community. Hats off to DR!

I'm on Twitter, Facebook, etc. etc. like everyone else in the world. Feel free to ping me! I'm friendly - I don't bite (hard).

OK. I will bite...

I have been a non-registered lurker here for a while but decided to register the other night. Why? Because, I had my first Ray's experience on Sunday evening. I read and re-read all the posts from this community and I greatly appreciate all opinions. ( I had a FANTASTIC experience from start to finish, by the way!)

I read a lot of food blogs and am in the process from changing to a picky picky eater - to yep - sure sounds good - pass it my way foodie. I like New American and Italian the best of all but tend to be fairly open. I was raised in Central Illinois so there was never much choice of dining options. Either Grilled or Fried meat and fried or mashed potatoes!

I turn 37 this summer and am looking for suggestions for a great night out! I have been trying in vain every day to get through to Minibar. So I hope that perhaps, the telephone gods will shine upon me by July! Or perhaps Restaurant Eve? Or where do you all suggest? I am willing to spend! :rolleyes:

Look forward to meeting some of you and posting more!

Thanks to Don!

PS - I love Iron Horse in Ashland, Va I have good friends down there and its where we alway go - that or the Smoky Pig! <_<

Was a long time lurker, now finally a member.

My name is Paul Ruppert and I am getting ready to open a new wine and dessert bar in Columbia Heights, called Room 11. We hope to be open at the end of May. I'l post more info to the main list when we are a little closer to the opening date.

Greetings,

Like many of you I have been lurking around this sites and reading the posts of friends and co-workers for some time. My wife and I love to eat and explore our culinary surroundings. I'm not much of a chatter box, but i do like to BS about food, wine, and service. Well, see y'all around. :rolleyes: