Joe's Noodle House, Rockville - From The Holy Mountain of Szechuan

Looks like I'm heading to Joe's tonight. Question: what is the name of the dish that comes out of the kitchen in a big clear glass bowl? It looks kinda like a Pyrex mixing bowl full of a reddish stew-like substance.

I meant to ask someone on the staff last time but i done forgot.

Looks like I'm heading to Joe's tonight. Question: what is the name of the dish that comes out of the kitchen in a big clear glass bowl? It looks kinda like a Pyrex mixing bowl full of a reddish stew-like substance.

I meant to ask someone on the staff last time but i done forgot.

it could be a number of things, but it probably was their ma la tofu or the imfamous h20, both are great but the fish is the real winner of the two.

it could be a number of things, but it probably was their ma la tofu or the imfamous h20, both are great but the fish is the real winner of the two.

Thanks for the H20 recommendation! Awesome stuff-- silky smooth tofu and delicate fish in a sauce that would make a lesser man curl up and die under the table.

Needing to do a Penzeys run, I opted for Rockville as an excuse to revisit Joe's. Delicious even after a 30 minute car ride back to Woodley Park. The trick is, and it is a good one... gas across the street is $3.99 regular unleaded. So if high gas prices are keeping you from Joe's (at least tonight) you can get a relative bargain at the Sunoco across the street.

Oh, the spicy noodles were as good as always... everything else was yummy too.

I've been dining at Joe's Noodle House far too regularly. I know I'm missing out on SOMETHING here in Rockville, just not sure what or where it is.

Make sure you get the Shanghai cabbage with garlic from the specials board. Really cools down the heat from the Tibetan Lamb and H20. Fantastic stuff this weekend.

Great dinner at Joe's two nights ago. The spicy and numbing cold chicken appetizer was a great starter, thick chunks of chicken bathing in a red-brown sauce. The heat and numbing effect were there, building up slowly as we ate the dish. We ordered the cellophane noodles with pork, a mild but very tasty dish, and the homemade bacon with leeks, which was not very spicy but very worthwhile, the pork very luscious and complemented by the leeks and the peppers in the dish.

Joe's and A&J are separated by Rockville Pike and a few hundred feet, but the focus of their menus couldn't be further apart, in my mind. I'm consistently challenged by what I order at Joe's--by the spiciness, the numbing, the interesting combinations and contrasts--and consistently comforted by what I eat at A&J. Both are very good, and now that we have moved to Rockville we are happy that they are close.

I've always wanted to try Joe's. For my innagural trip my husband and I got the Spinach and Pork noodles, Spicy Tasty Tofu and the scallion panake. The scallion pancake was excellent. I liked the flavor of the spicy tasty tofu but I kind of prefer unfried tofu. Is the pressed tofu dish fried too, or is it sauted? I thought the spinach and pork dish was tasty but would be even better with homemade noodles.

Becuase I am a total ignoramus when it comes to Chinese food, is the spicy and tasty tofu = mapo tofu? Or is that annother dish. Also what about dandan noodles, I didn't see those on the menu, are those the sesame noodles?

After a long time of not going to Joes, I went for lunch today.

Dry Saute Crispy Beef ordered "ma-la ma-la" and it was. This is the best rendition of it I can remember at Joes. There were at least 4 forms of hot & spicy in it: szechuan peppercorns, dried chiles (whole), dried chili flakes fried to an old leather color in oil, and hot chili paste of some sort or another. The sauce was as thick paste, the beef crrunchy and the slivers of celery and carrots were spiked with vinegar. Today, an old favorite was taken to a new level. Hot & spicy raddish salad, pickled cucumbers and spicy cabbage pickle were all very fine. Joe's seems to be at the top of its form if not on a new level.

Anyone up for a "butt burn" dinner there soon? No wimps need apply!

Post your attendence here!

Kay and I had a very nice Sunday, marred only by lunch at Wong Gee in Wheaton. So when dinnertime rolled around, we still wanted Chinese food and we decided to head to Joe's Noodle House. I told Kay that based on our Butt Burn dinner, the H25 fish fillet with sour cabbage and cellophane noodle was mild, almost like a sorbet in the course of a tasting menu: refreshing. Only goes to show you how much spicy food we had that night. This dish is very well balanced but packs some heat even at "meduim" spice. The broth was nicely sour and the fish meaty and rich. I am not sure what kind of fish it was. We also ahd the homemade Bacon with Leek and Peppers which was also quite hot if you avoided the multitude of fresh green chiles in it, and screamingly hot if you did partake of them. A pungent dish reminiscent of the best of Henry's Hunan or Brandy Ho's in SF, just lacking the handfull of whole cloves of garlic browned in the fry oil that those esteemed old timers used int he dish. We started with the shredded bean curd (light, clean and refreshing) and the spicy cabbage (crack as far as I am concerned). 2 beers and the total came to $36 with enough food left over for a meal or two tomorrow.

I took my mother in law and a dear friend of ours to Joe's and our friend must of thanked us about half a dozen times for picking it out. We had sesame noodles, moo shu pork and scallion pancakes. Neither of them are spice lovers the way I am so I couldn't get my favorite mouth burning dishes. However everything was well prepared and tasted delicious.

Good dinner here tonight. We had the dry saute three-pepper beef, Szechuan string beans, Tibetan lamb, wonton with red hot sauce, and an order of chicken with broccoli for the young man. Very tasty and spicy, but all lacking in heat. The boy devoured his weight in green beans:

post-25-124805286311_thumb.jpg

Very tasty and spicy, but all lacking in heat.

If the person at the front ordering is not Chinese, they tend to tone down the heat level. You have to get to know Audrey, or at least make a convincing case up front that you don't want the spicy things dumbed down.

You can argue that it shouldn't be that way, but it is that way, so you have to learn to adjust if you want to get that missing level of heat. Audrey has said that she has to re-do too many dishes for Americans if she doesn't follow this policy.

If the person at the front ordering is not Chinese, they tend to tone down the heat level. You have to get to know Audrey, or at least make a convincing case up front that you don't want the spicy things dumbed down.

You can argue that it shouldn't be that way, but it is that way, so you have to learn to adjust if you want to get that missing level of heat. Audrey has said that she has to re-do too many dishes for Americans if she doesn't follow this policy.

Yeah. I'm not going to bother with that. I utterly loathe places where you have to be in the know, or order the right things in the right way. It probably means I won't eat there often. Oh well.

I think it is rude that they do not prepare food to a customer's request. I think the quality is great but have grown tired of luke-warm heat after specifically asking Audrey for HEAT. Just last week I went with friends who moved away but love Joes... we asked for SPICE, got none. When I complained Audrey just said use the sauce on the table.

I'm sticking with the place in Arlington from now on...

You can argue that it shouldn't be that way, but it is that way, so you have to learn to adjust if you want to get that missing level of heat.

Yes, I'll be glad to argue. There's nothing wrong with expressing a preference. Doing so is entirely to the advantage of the diner. Your formula would have you walking into Ray's the Steaks and not letting the waiter know if you want rare, medium or well done.

Yes, I'll be glad to argue. There's nothing wrong with expressing a preference. Doing so is entirely to the advantage of the diner. Your formula would have you walking into Ray's the Steaks and not letting the waiter know if you want rare, medium or well done.

No, not the same. Your server at Ray's will (presumably) ask your preferences -- "How would you like that cooked?" and may even offer information like "The chef recommends that cut be cooked to medium-rare." What Joe's Noodle House is doing is publishing a menu that indicates a level of spicing for each dish, and then adjusting that based on their stereotyping of customers based on race. I would love to know how it's indicated on the ticket what kind of customer ordered a particular item.

Apparently it works for them. It doesn't mean I have to go back.

No, not the same. Your server at Ray's will (presumably) ask your preferences -- "How would you like that cooked?" and may even offer information like "The chef recommends that cut be cooked to medium-rare." What Joe's Noodle House is doing is publishing a menu that indicates a level of spicing for each dish, and then adjusting that based on their stereotyping of customers based on race. I would love to know how it's indicated on the ticket what kind of customer ordered a particular item.

Apparently it works for them. It doesn't mean I have to go back.

You're spot on, Heather. I knew your thoughts on this issue, which is why I posted what I did. Hope it didn't come across as criticizing your position; I was just trying to highlight my own difficulties in the past to getting the truly scorching stuff from them, and the conversations I've had with Audrey on the matter.

As you say, that's their call, and they have every right to do it that way. Their bet is that they gain more customers who don't actually want the full heat, than those they lose (you, for example) who do, but don't like the song-and-dance required to get it.

While I don't agree with this kind of practice, I don't think Joe's is alone in practicing it. In some ethopian resteraunts, servers may not serve their kitfo raw to non-ethopians for example, at least unless you swear up and down that you like raw.

their stereotyping of customers based on race.

I think it would be hard to show supporting data on that. The stereotyping might be on your part, not theirs. I never have any problem getting the full flavor. But of course I make my preference clear. And you know, not all Asians go for spiciness. So if your charge of racism is valid, they're inviting problems on both sides of the equation. Not good for business.

You're spot on, Heather. I knew your thoughts on this issue, which is why I posted what I did. Hope it didn't come across as criticizing your position; I was just trying to highlight my own difficulties in the past to getting the truly scorching stuff from them, and the conversations I've had with Audrey on the matter.

As you say, that's their call, and they have every right to do it that way. Their bet is that they gain more customers who don't actually want the full heat, than those they lose (you, for example) who do, but don't like the song-and-dance required to get it.

Whoa nelly... (what does that mean anyway?) I have to disagree. When a customer specifically asks for traditional heat and they serve extremely meek food it is offensive. I spoke directly with Audrey the last two times I ate at the restaurant about the problem and neither time has the food been served at the appropriate level of heat. I used to go out of my way to eat there but now I won't. It's offensive and inappropriate.

(BTW, they used to serve non-asians hot food so what gives?)

I think it would be hard to show supporting data on that. The stereotyping might be on your part, not theirs.
Mine? I was responding to this:

Tell me, how do you know you're getting the "full flavor?" And if my dinner isn't being toned-down based of my looks, then what is the criteria being used? What about my appearance would make them decide that I can't handle spice?

(BTW, they used to serve non-asians hot food so what gives?)

Again, not defending the practice, but according to Audrey, they had to re-make a lot of dishes for non-Asians who, when warned that it was really spicy, ordered anyway, and then sent it back saying it was too spicy.

Again, not defending the practice, but according to Audrey, they had to re-make a lot of dishes for non-Asians who, when warned that it was really spicy, ordered anyway, and then sent it back saying it was too spicy.

I tried to send back our food for not being spicy enough this time and she said just add spice too it. It's not the same.

I have had more than my share of service problems at Joe's over the years to the point where I stopped going for over a year. But now I am back and none of the issues have popped up. When I first started adn the spicy was toned down, I asked for "real Ma La" and almost never ahve a problem getting it that hot. There was a period where it was a problem but it went away. Sounds like it is back which is too bad. I htink Audrey has a blind spot about service that is too bad because she is so good hearted. Still, I have not had a not hot enough issue in such a long time. In fact, now the prolem is that when Kay and I come in it is hard to get the food toned down enough for my wimpy wife!

We had a great meal there last night. After talking to Audrey, we got the full spice treatment. Tastsy and spicy fried tofu, wontons in hot sauce, cellopahne noodles in hot sauce. No problems! The crispy shrimp with the heads on, cucumbers and fried gluten salad. Pure heaven. We even got a side of greens to feel somewhat healthy.

Place was packed!

Place was packed!

We've always done our DR.com dinners there on weekday nights or weekend afternoons, with a reservation, and it's still usually pretty full. I wonder if this community doesn't realize that it is not uncommon to wait for a table at Joe's at peak dining times...

You are right and the writeup in the Washingtonian did not help either. Wait was 20 minutes

We've always done our DR.com dinners there on weekday nights or weekend afternoons, with a reservation, and it's still usually pretty full. I wonder if this community doesn't realize that it is not uncommon to wait for a table at Joe's at peak dining times...

We got to Joe's at 2 PM Saturday after a liquor run to MoCo Liquor Stores. I figured it wouldn't be that busy, but it was full. We ended up being seated at one of the big round tables.

It had been nearly a year since we had been there, but fortunately they remembered us and we didn't have any trouble getting the full-on spicy treatment on the spicy dishes. All four dishes were as good as we remembered.

The pressed bean curd with spicy sauce appetizer and the cold green beans were both spot on, and larger portions than I remember.

H20 with the tofu is excellent, but I have to get a fork or spoon to eat the soft tofu. My chopstick skills are not good enough to pick up soft tofu without cutting through it.

Salty crispy squid was good, but it was a little greasy.

We had tons of leftovers that made a fine dinner last night.

We usually go to Hong Kong Palace for our Sichuan fix these days because it's closer, but Joe's has a small edge on taste.

Not much to add about this place. I enjoyed lunch at Joe's today, and it was really good. I had not eaten there before -- yes, I live in Virginia, so Rockville might just as well be in Mongolia -- but I seriously doubt (even after one lunch) that Virginia has anything close to this quality. At least until Peter Chang reopens in Richmond....

I had the sweet and sour (mostly sour) fish with cellophane noodles in broth. It was sensational, with about a pound of tender but firm-fleshed fish in a spicy-sour broth with some pickled veggies. It was really good, and every now and then a waitress would walk by and remark "Oh, sour fish, very good!" And the dish was more than enough for two people to share.

I'd love to wander all over this menu, which is extensive, but the practicality of the logistics makes this a bit hard for me. I left my 2:00pm meeting in Rockville at 3:00pm, and by the time I got back to Springfield, it was 5:20pm....jeesh....! I could get to Richmond and back in less than that!

Well, today was a particularly brutal traffic day, it's not usually like that.

That dish, when prepared the "normal" way, has a whole host of the sichuan peppercorns in it - not only is it spicy, it's mouth numbing. Did they prepare it that way, or was it "Americanized"? Sometimes, if they don't know you there, they don't give you the full "ma la".

Well, today was a particularly brutal traffic day, it's not usually like that.

That dish, when prepared the "normal" way, has a whole host of the sichuan peppercorns in it - not only is it spicy, it's mouth numbing. Did they prepare it that way, or was it "Americanized"? Sometimes, if they don't know you there, they don't give you the full "ma la".

Yeah, there was a road sign damaged at Tysons that backed up traffic well beyond the Cabin John all the way past Rockville. Horrific.

That dish had me sweating and blowing my nose, so it had a good deal of kick to it. But the menu had it with two peppers (extra spicy) and not the additional star (numbing). Nonetheless, I was digging out whole small peppers, red and green, along the way, and I have a feeling that tomorrow will yield additional sensations.

Yeah, there was a road sign damaged at Tysons that backed up traffic well beyond the Cabin John all the way past Rockville. Horrific.

That dish had me sweating and blowing my nose, so it had a good deal of kick to it. But the menu had it with two peppers (extra spicy) and not the additional star (numbing). Nonetheless, I was digging out whole small peppers, red and green, along the way, and I have a feeling that tomorrow will yield additional sensations.

Thanks for that.

Be glad that today's traffic isn't tomorrow's traffic (click).

Ah, Joe's, how I've missed you. We had an excellent lunch there yesterday from small dishes and appetizers. Dan dan noodles are excellent. I wonder how I've been going to Joe's for years now but never tried them. They came out looking like a bowl of plain wheat noodles with a little sauteed pork on top, and I was worried that they didn't have any sauce. Then I stirred them and found the fiery vinegar-tart sauce beneath.

One thing that hasn't been as good as it used to be is the tender bamboo shoot salad. This is one of the dishes in the cold case up front. Of late, it hasn't been as tender, and the pieces haven't been sliced as nicely. Some pieces are too soft, some are too hard, and some look crushed and torn as much as sliced.

The appetizer portion of squid was good, but had a few pieces that were overcooked and some that were greasy. Not bad, just not perfect.

The shredded tofu salad is another one from the cold case. It's like thin tofu noodles with some shreds of carrot and onion in it, sauced with sesame oil. It's sort of one-dimensional flavorwise. I prefer the extra firm bean curd cubes with spicy sauce.

So, one addition to the list of yums here, and one to remove. Given the size of the menu and the the number of excellent things here, we're ready to go back anytime and will be happy.

I went to Joe's for my Sichuan food fix yesterday and found they have new and very broad lunch time menu. They have initiated a lunch menu with over thirty "home style" items on it. Lunch is an economical $6.50/$7.50 including soup for traditional Sichuan food. I had a wonderful and properly spiced beef w/cumin. I am planning to work my way through this delightful new menu.

I went to Joe's for my Sichuan food fix yesterday and found they have new and very broad lunch time menu. They have initiated a lunch menu with over thirty "home style" items on it.

Try the Spicy and Tasty Fried Tofu with Pork. :lol: It must be something about Szechuan peppercorns; like the beef jerky at Sichuan Pavillion, I couldn't stop eating this stuff.

Just a report that the mapo tofu I had for lunch today was excellent. The right amount of heat to just make you start sweating and just enough szechuan peppercorn to give you a tingle (apologies to Chris Matthews) without blowing out your tastebuds.

Their lunch special menu at $6.50/$7.50 for an entree and cup o' soup remains one of the better deals around Rockville Pike and why I'm in there once a week for lunch.

Thanks for the 411 re lunch at Joe's.

Home style lunch--Cumin Beef , Sichuan String Beans and Hot and Sour Soup--were exemplary of their kind.

Next weekend finds us home and at Peter Chang's (Atlanta) opening night party. Carpe diem--it's a very challenging location nigh by somewhat adjacent to Ray's On The River in a cavernous '70's architecturally grotesque vaulted ceiling cedar planked white elephant. Think disco sleek decor from a coke deprived decorator at his worst. Nice windows, though.

So what's all this 'Hook' buzz about Mr. Chang opening a like eponymous Peter Chang's in Charlottesville?

Next weekend finds us home and at Peter Chang's (Atlanta) opening night party. Carpe diem--it's a very challenging location nigh by somewhat adjacent to Ray's On The River in a cavernous '70's architecturally grotesque vaulted ceiling cedar planked white elephant. Think disco sleek decor from a coke deprived decorator at his worst. Nice windows, though.

So when does Peter Chang's Atlanta restaurant open? I'll be in Atlanta next weekend as well... hmmm.....Thanks!