dr.com Japanese Wagyu Tasting

DonRocks

Not a bad price IMO considering Palmer charges 20 per oz with a 5oz min.

The BMS (Beef Marbling Standard) number means everything in terms of Kobe pricing, the number ranging from 1 through 12.

I've had lower-end Kobe beef that was nothing special, and I've had higher-end non-Kobe Japanese Wagyu (from Miyagi and Miyazaki, to be exact) that was so good I couldn't believe it.

Would anyone be interested in a dr.com tasting if I can score some? (Hint: Say yes.)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The BMS (Beef Marbling Standard) number means everything in terms of Kobe pricing, the number ranging from 1 through 12.

I've had lower-end Kobe beef that was nothing special, and I've had higher-end non-Kobe Japanese Wagyu (from Miyagi and Miyazaki, to be exact) that was so good I couldn't believe it.

Would anyone be interested in a dr.com tasting if I can score some? (Hint: Say yes.)

YES

Uh, gee, let me think... YES!

ETA: I had the Kobe at Sonoma last week when they were serving it as a carpaccio. It was intensely marbled, looked almost like half fat, and was exactly like what I have had in Japan.

Are you talking Kobe or Waygu?

Okay, I'm going to assume there will be enough interest to do this. The beef will be from Japan. It may be Kobe, or may be from another prefecture depending on what my source can find (and my source is the best available). The beef will be near the absolute top in quality, meaning BMS level 10 or thereabouts. It will be presented to everyone whole, but then I prefer it sliced as carpaccio rather than chopped as tartare so you can see the marbling. Nothing to be added but salt - maybe an arugula salad on the side, but nothing else. I'll figure out specifics and let everyone know - give me about two weeks. I'll pass on everything at my own cost, but it's still not going to be cheap (figure $30-40 per person). I'm pretty sure this will be revelatory for a lot of people.

I'll also be announcing another interesting, affordable event sometime in the next few days as well. Stay tuned...

Tartare of kobe? i don't know if that is the best of ideas. it is prized because of its high marbling (FAT), and a raw version, well... Guess you just have to try it for yourself, it gets a little "silky"
I was thinking more like very thin, very small slices.

Okay, well obviously this is a go. Now it's a matter of venue, date, and seeing when I can source a good slab of beef. I'm hoping towards the end of November, maybe the first week in December. Please keep replying if you're interested, because I'll need an idea of how much to order.