dr.com Japanese Wagyu Tasting

DonRocks

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to shoot for Monday, December 17th for this event. It falls safely between Hannukah and Christmas, and gives us two full weeks after the Colorado Kitchen event which I'm about to announce...

(Please don't reply on this thread yet, but pencil the date in your calendar if you're interested).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Okay, we're on!

I'm going to be buying two Japanese Wagyu sirloins, and RJ Cooper will be preparing it for us at Vidalia - he'll be serving it sliced as carpaccio, with salt, and an arugula salad. Serving size will be approximately four ounces per person, which is a HUGE portion given the richness of the meat. RJ originally recommended a 2 1/2 ounce portion, and I said, 'Nah ... make it four.'

I haven't finalized the beef purchase yet, but my estimated cost will be $1,120. We'll be able to take 40 people, so at that price, everyone will need to write me a check for $28. (I could do PayPal, but don't want to go through the hassle, fees, etc.) I won't be making a penny from this, so I'll ask everyone to show up, and to please pay me even if they don't.

Vidalia will charge a $10 plating fee, for RJ trimming the beef (there's about a 20% loss), presenting it whole, then preparing it in front of us, and serving it alongside a good arugula salad. Tax will be $1 per person, and gratuity should be $8 each (Vidalia told me to make the call on the gratuity, and I think it's only fair that it's based on a $40 course). That's $19 total for Vidalia, outside of any drinks. I just talked with Doug Mohr, and he'll be coming up with an optional wine pairing. Items on their regular bar menu will also be available. It will be something of a walk-around event, with seating available, but not enough for all 40 people.

So all-in, the cost is looking to be $47 per person: $28 for me, and $19 for Vidalia. This seems like a lot of money, but this dish would cost well over $100 anywhere else. You simply don't see this grade of beef anywhere: we're talking grade A9, possibly A10, prefecture to be determined in the near future based on what's available.

How am I able to source such a remarkable quality of Wagyu at wholesale? Let's just say it was EZ...

If we go over 40 people, we'll need to do a lottery. Go ahead and sign up now, and we'll re-examine the attendee list over the next 1 1/2 weeks.

Cheers, and I'll see you guys on the 17th (I'll be coming to this one, almost certainly.)

Rocks.

Would it be easier to start a list of DR members who aren't coming?
I'm sure I'm gonna regret this, bt add me to that list, under the "no way am I eating that!" column. You can call it carpaccio... or marvel at the high fat content: I just won't eat raw meat. Medium rare is pushing my boundaries.

I know: my loss. Yet there is now one extra seat available.

Enjoy!

I'm so with you on this one! Maybe we can have a table of our own with that delicious onion bread and hamachi appetizer...

I'm sure I'm gonna regret this, bt add me to that list, under the "no way am I eating that!" column. You can call it carpaccio... or marvel at the high fat content: I just won't eat raw meat. Medium rare is pushing my boundaries.

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Yeah, NQD and I are also passing for that reason. Not that we absolutely won't eat raw meat - we'll continue to try carpaccios or tartares when they're presented to us - but we just don't like the stuff, and don't want to spend that kind of money on something we won't appreciate. Slap those four ounces of amazing beef on a grill, and we'd be there. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

I'm in. Thanks Don!

You're not invited. :(

Here's the roster so far (PLEASE contact me if I missed you or if I have your "+1" wrong - I blitzed through this thing and could have easily made a mistake).

youngfood + 1

Heather + 1

ferment_everything

mdt

Keithstg + 1

Banco

squidsdc

starfish

TedE

StephenB

DanielK

goldenticket

ol_ironstomach + gubeen

alan7147

Mrs. B + Waitman

HV

DanCole42 + 1

hm212

Simon

porcupine

hmmboy

Marcus Aurelius

sparkcom + 1

zoramargolis

Halloween

bettyjoan

1000yregg

Walrus + tripewriter

cjsadler

Pete + Paula

kturkey88 + 1

eating_out

Meaghan

nashman1975

So we're at 44. I'll be there too, as will 1-3 "guest celebrities," depending on whether or not they have to work. I talked with RJ today, and the restaurant can really only handle about 40 people at once, so depending on who else signs up, we may need to do a staggered entry - some people at 7 PM, and some people at 8 PM (this doesn't have to be exact, but there's a large party at Vidalia that night and 50 people showing up at the same time might overwhelm everything). I don't have a final price or details on the steaks yet, but they've both been ordered, and they're GRADE A10! I talked with Ziebold today, and he told me I need my head examined for attempting to serve four ounces of A10 carpaccio. "Too much of a good thing," he said. "After about two ounces of it, people are going to start dying off." RJ told me the same thing, and he's going to prepare about half of it as carpaccio, and the other half seared rare - all the better, since it will make for a more complex plating. The funny thing about all this is that we're nitpicking over the same amount of beef that you'd find in a McDonald's Quarter-Pounder!