DonRocks

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay here's the deal:

A special guest chef is going to come in and help RJ.

They'll be adding Cityzen's Garlic Fried Rice to go along with the cooked portion.

We're at 50 people.

Vidalia is charging a flat-fee of $50 a person. Sorry for the price increase, but it's justified.

And here's the most important part: RJ Just wrote me. "It is imperative that we stage this so we don't get fucked," he said. "25 people at 7 PM, and 25 people at 8 PM. We want to make this special so please help us out on this."

So...

I need EVERY SINGLE PERSON to commit to either 7 PM or 8 PM, and unfortunately we have to do this pronto, meaning, in the next two days everything has to be set. Please reply in this thread (don't PM me) and commit. I need 25 people in both time slots, so please let's keep this evenly distributed. Vidalia's bar simply cannot handle this many people, and I don't want to cut people off who wish to attend. Start replying now please! If you see that people are tending to commit to one time frame, I'd GREATLY appreciate it if you'd commit to the other. This is going to be difficult to pull off, but hopefully we can rally together as a team.

ACTUALLY IF YOU CAN BE FLEXIBLE AND REPLY AS "EITHER TIME IS FINE WITH ME!" THAT WOULD MAKE MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER...

Not Yet Responded

sparkcom + 1

7PM - 8 PM

squidsdc

Keithstg + 1

youngfood + 1

porcupine

StephenB

DanielK + 1

HV

Marcus Aurelius

DanCole42 + 1

8PM - 9 PM

1000yregg

Heather + 1

nashman1975

kturkey88 + 1

Walrus + tripewriter

mdt

ol_ironstomach + gubeen

cjsadler

alan7147

Mrs. B + Waitman

TedE

Owen

gnatharobed

zoramargolis

EITHER TIME

hmmboy

Banco

Miss October

synaesthesia

Halloween

starfish

bettyjoan

hm212

goldenticket

ferment_everything

Pete + Paula

wahoooob + 1

Erik Ox

Meaghan

eating_out

ETA: I need a drink.

Edited by DonRocks

Either time works for me.

Once you get the timing all worked out (thankyouthankyouthankyou, by the way), can you post some payment clarification? E.g., how much and to whom and by what method. Much appreciated! So excited to meet everyone--this will be my first DR.com event! :(

Okay here's the deal:

And here's the most important part: RJ Just wrote me. "It is imperative that we stage this so we don't get fucked," he said. "25 people at 7 PM, and 25 people at 8 PM. We want to make this special so please help us out on this."

So...

I need EVERY SINGLE PERSON to commit to either 7 PM or 8 PM, and unfortunately we have to do this pronto, meaning, in the next two days everything has to be set. Please reply in this thread (don't PM me) and commit. I need 25 people in both time slots, so please let's keep this evenly distributed. Please don't everyone sign up for 7 PM. The people coming at 8 PM will have an added bonus because they can linger a bit longer, I think. Vidalia's bar simply cannot handle this many people, and I don't want to cut people off who wish to attend. Start replying now please! If you see that people are tending to commit to one time frame, I'd GREATLY appreciate it if you'd commit to the other. This is going to be difficult to pull off, but hopefully we can rally together as a team.

ACTUALLY IF YOU CAN BE FLEXIBLE AND REPLY AS "EITHER TIME IS FINE WITH ME!" THAT WOULD MAKE MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER...

ETA: I need a drink.

Oh the flashbacks. Welcome to my world. Don't worry, the constant worry about not missing anyone on the list, giving everyone their first choice, that people won't pay, that people won't show, having member's names show up in your dreams goes away after a few weeks. :(

Start drinking asap-your dreams will have less dr.com'ers invade them.

And to clarify, is the $50 to Vidalia in lieu of the $28 to Vidalia that was mentioned previously and in addition to the $19 to Don, or in lieu of the prior divided payment system entirely?

Although I haven't actually talked with Vidalia, I'm fairly certain that RJ is telling me it's $50 total. (In other words, I won't be fronting the cost of the Wagyu after all). I'll clarify, but this is what I'm assuming. Which brings us to the next two points...

Once you get the timing all worked out (thankyouthankyouthankyou, by the way), can you post some payment clarification? E.g., how much and to whom and by what method.

Please bring exact change of $50 CASH, and just hand it to them when they bring the check. Here's why ...

(In reading the bit about later people being able to linger... I assume that means the 7pm folks need to clear out to make room for the next group - correct?)

I think the 7 PM group needs to have their $50 tabs completely closed out by 8 PM (this is why I'm asking people to bring $50 cash, in exact change). Okay now, there aren't going to be any bouncers at the door, but the 7 PM group will need to make room so the 8 PM group can enjoy themselves comfortably. I'm not sure how many seats will be available, but the 7 PM group should defifnitely relinquish them for the 8 PM group, allow the bartenders and servers to concentrate on the 8 PM group, etc. etc. Let's play the actual exit time by ear and let sense and courtesy be our final guide - I can't imagine it's a problem if some people want to stick around afterwards, mingle, and have some drinks or wine, but that's just my best guess, and if space becomes too tight, I'll let people know.

ALSO: I know that Doug Mohr is coming up with a wine special for this, so I may be too rigid in assuming people should bring $50 cash (since many, perhaps most, tabs will be higher than that with drinks added). I don't know how they're going to handle the beverage charges, but maybe they'll be doing one check per person in varying amounts, as opposed to one $50 check and the wines done separately - I'll find out by Friday.

Although I haven't actually talked with Vidalia, I'm fairly certain that RJ is telling me it's $50 total. (In other words, I won't be fronting the cost of the Wagyu after all). I'll clarify, but this is what I'm assuming. Which brings us to the next two points...

Please bring exact change of $50 CASH, and just hand it to them when they bring the check. Here's why ...

I think the 7 PM group needs to have their $50 tabs completely closed out by 8 PM (this is why I'm asking people to bring $50 cash, in exact change). Okay now, there aren't going to be any bouncers at the door, but the 7 PM group will need to make room so the 8 PM group can enjoy themselves comfortably. I'm not sure how many seats will be available, but the 7 PM group should defifnitely relinquish them for the 8 PM group, allow the bartenders and servers to concentrate on the 8 PM group, etc. etc. Let's play the actual exit time by ear and let sense and courtesy be our final guide - I can't imagine it's a problem if some people want to stick around afterwards, mingle, and have some drinks or wine, but that's just my best guess, and if space becomes too tight, I'll let people know.

ALSO: I know that Doug Mohr is coming up with a wine special for this, so I may be too rigid in assuming people should bring $50 cash (since many, perhaps most, tabs will be higher than that with drinks added). I don't know how they're going to handle the beverage charges, but maybe they'll be doing one check per person in varying amounts, as opposed to one $50 check and the wines done separately - I'll find out by Friday.

So is the 7pm crowd also welcome to come early and start to drink and mingle before hand? :(

So is the 7pm crowd also welcome to come early and start to drink and mingle before hand? :(

Of course, in fact the parking meters around there open up at 6:30 - best to park at around 6:24 (then wait in your car for 3-4 minutes so the pricko meter beasts don't ticket you).

Is the $50 inclusive of tip (except for the extra tip for whatever bar tab we run up)?

RJ is notorious for cryptic messages, but yes, I think so - my interpretation is that the all-inclusive cost is going up to $50 (a $3 increase) because of the garlic fried rice.

Rocks, RJ, is Vidalia still going to have their usual happy hour in the bar before the event? From the website:

"Vidalia offers a Monday through Friday wine tasting from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Created by Sommelier Doug Mohr, each day of the week will feature a different theme and three wines. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres prepared by Chef R.J. Cooper will enhance the experience. Vidalia's Happy Hour will also have boutique beers and cocktails with special pricing."

7:00 PM please. Thank you.

Sorry to be so seemingly recalcitrant, but I haven't looked at the thread in a couple of days. I would prefer 8, but can come at 7 if 8 is full--my consequences for not being on the ball.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend after all. Zora may take my 8pm spot, and ENJOY!!

We currently have 13 people assigned to the 7 PM slot, and 19 assigned to the 8 PM slot. I'll be dividing up the "Either Time" attendees tomorrow (Friday), the majority of whom will go in the 7 PM slot. Does anyone have a strong preference for the 8 PM slot? Please post your replies here and I'll look at them before making the final assignments - not everyone may get the time they prefer, but I think we can come close.

dr.com Storm Watch - We might get a nasty wintery mix this weekend, so please plan accordingly for a difficult Monday-afternoon commute, Vidalia is reasonably close to both the Farragut West Metro (orange, blue lines) and the Dupont Circle Metro (red line).

7PM - 8 PM

squidsdc

Keithstg + 1

youngfood + 1

porcupine

StephenB

DanielK + 1

HV

Marcus Aurelius

DanCole42 + 1

Halloween

Meaghan

eating_out

Eric Ox

Sthitch

8PM - 9 PM

1000yregg

Heather + 1

nashman1975

Miss October

kturkey88 + 1

Walrus + tripewriter

mdt

ol_ironstomach + gubeen

cjsadler

alan7147

Mrs. B + Waitman

TedE

Owen

gnatharobed

zoramargolis

hmmboy

Banco

EITHER TIME (most will go at 7 PM unless I hear otherwise)

synaesthesia

starfish

bettyjoan

hm212

goldenticket

ferment_everything

Pete + Paula

wahoooob + 1

sparkycom + 1

ETA - There is no "regular" 5:30-6:30 happy hour that day.

Edited by DonRocks

We have determined the payment method for the evening. CASH is the only form of payment that will be accepted. There are plenty of ATM's around if you forget at the last minute.

When you arrive at Vidalia you will check in with either mktye or myself. You'll hand over your cash and be handed a name tag. There will be one color name tag for people who are just having beef, another for those doing the wine tasting as well. This way the servers do not have to a) try to figure out who is there for the beef and who isn't and :( keep asking you if you are getting the wine pairing. The goal is to keep non dr.com'ers from getting our beef and to allow the tasting to continue without constantly interuppting conversations.

More information on the wine pairing is coming. You'll know as soon as Don knows.

The only glitch in this plan is it means there will be a back up when you come in. We will move you through the checking in process as quickly as possible, and you'll still get your cow, but it will be a little different that our normal events.

Until then, may you get the time slot you hoped for.

(You didn't think I was going to be able to stay out of the organizing of this one, did ya?)