dr.com Japanese Wagyu Tasting

DonRocks

To play off of Banco's post, I experienced a taste sensation with the carpaccio and one of the salts--there was a combo that reminded me of steak and eggs in a "taste memory" kind of way. I recalll a mention of a "sulfur salt", and I'm curious to know its exact name, because I do think this is where the hint of egg came into play. What was the exact name of that salt?

Thanks to all, including my table mates (Gubeen, ol_ironstomach, Howard, Alan and his +delightful one at the bar/table) for a wonderful, nerdy Blade-Runner evening; the folks at the bar that I met (Porcupine, Sthitich and others); and to Don & Chef Cooper for taking us all in for a most memorable event. Yum, let's do it again!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To play off of Banco's post, I experienced a taste sensation with the carpaccio and one of the salts--there was a combo that reminded me of steak and eggs in a "taste memory" kind of way. I recalll a mention of a "sulfur salt", and I'm curious to know its exact name, because I do think this is where the hint of egg came into play. What was the exact name of that salt?

Thanks to all, including my table mates (Gubeen, ol_ironstomach, Howard, Alan and his +delightful one at the bar/table) for a wonderful, nerdy Blade-Runner evening; the folks at the bar that I met (Porcupine, Sthitich and others); and to Don & Chef Cooper for taking us all in for a most memorable event. Yum, let's do it again!

It is called Black Salt, from India. Chef R.J. had a big solid chunk of it that he was flaking with a rasp. It's usually found already finely ground in small containers, and when ground has a pinkish color. It gets its color and smell from being bound with sulfur. Red salts (Hawaiian and Himalayan) are bound with iron, which gives them their color.

You can find black salt at Penzey's, at Indian grocery stores, and when BlackSalt Market opened, it was one of the spices that we were selling in small tins that were packaged with the BlackSalt logo. I don't know if they still have it--it was not a big seller.

It is called Black Salt, from India. Chef R.J. had a big solid chunk of it that he was flaking with a rasp. It's usually found already finely ground in small containers, and when ground has a pinkish color. It gets its color and smell from being bound with sulfur. Red salts (Hawaiian and Himalayan) are bound with iron, which gives them their color.

You can find black salt at Penzey's, at Indian grocery stores, and when BlackSalt Market opened, it was one of the spices that we were selling in small tins that were packaged with the BlackSalt logo. I don't know if they still have it--it was not a big seller.

the salt is a sulfuric salt from India that our comptroller brought back to me from her native country india