or with shaved burgundy truffles add 10.00

Hand Rolled Pumpkin Cavatelli

with crisp veal sweetbreads, chanterelle

mushrooms and sage butter fondue 13.00

with shaved alba truffles add 25.00

or with shaved burgundy truffles add 10.00

Creamy Anson Mills Polenta

with parmesan reggiano and alba white truffles 22.00

Ok, this is just the world's most unfair thing. I was perusing this thread, impressed that it was already two pages, and found this mouthwa...nah -- DROOL-INDUCING menu. I was thisclose to immediately making a reservation when I saw the date... :blink:

Black truffles at Wegman's are $299/lb, down from $999 a few months ago.
Are these the ones from the US?

I'm pretty sure that those are not French truffles -- I've seen Oregon truffles at WF for about that price. They didn't smell right so I saved my pennies for the real deal.

For my birthday a few years ago, my wife ordered me some white truffles from an online purveyor. We got 3 of them, which was plenty. They kept for a couple of weeks and I ate a lot of scrambled eggs and truffles for those 2 weeks!

Surely, somebody is serving white truffles here this year. Anyone? Anyone?

You could try Equinox. I don't know how current their website menu is (or how often it changes), but they have white truffles on the dinner menu that's currently posted on their website (including white truffle ice cream). The website also says they're taking reservations for a White Truffle Dinner in Dec. ($250/person), and they are also having a black truffle dinner on Nov. 26 with Guest Chef Tarver King of Woodlands Resort and Inn (click for details).

White truffle spotted (and eaten) at Acqua Al 2 last night in a pasta dish. It was expensive (I believe $60), but I'm still thinking about it the following afternoon. The truffle was shaved onto the plate at the table. The pasta was a long spaghetti-type noodle--and may have even been spaghetti--and it was creamy and absolutely delicious.

I'm not sure how big their supply of truffles is, so give the restaurant a call to check if you're interested.

Early season white truffles, 1/2 oz size are running around $120 an ounce.

I have never felt that larger makes for more aroma, just more impressive slices.

Like any other fungus, or fruit, or pretty much anything, edible, or otherwise, balance is the key, and with enormous size (via freak of nature or force of nurture) often comes disruption of balance.

To put it in perspective, how does $120/ounce compare with, say, the past 20 years? Is there a running table of price trends anywhere? It would be interesting to see.

I remember an article where they quoted Todd Gray, who said that he used to personally bring the truffle out and shave it, but the customers would sit there, saying, "Keep going! Keep going!" and he felt compelled to stop with the public shaving, and do it instead in the kitchen. Thing is - I'm pretty sure I *did* it once when I was there, and I can't help but think he was talking about me. I suspect that many people (picture the entitled business set) have done it, but my guilty conscience will not let me rest here.

Back in the late 1980's (1988, 89?) I went to Galileo and we were offered a white truffle shaving on any number of dishes for a $15 upcharge. We passed (since we weren't paying). That's also the only time I ate there and had a distinctly mediocre meal. Somehow, I don't believe the truffles would have made any of it particularly better.

Back in the late 1980's (1988, 89?) I went to Galileo and we were offered a white truffle shaving on any number of dishes for a $15 upcharge. We passed (since we weren't paying). That's also the only time I ate there and had a distinctly mediocre meal. Somehow, I don't believe the truffles would have made any of it particularly better.

This reminds me of another Todd Gray story which is probably best left unspoken.

Casa Luca is currently offering white truffles, as part of a set menu or shaved over anything. I believe the prices were $30/3 grams or $50/5 grams, but I could be wrong.  We decided not to spend the money, then had a few minutes' regret when the neighboring party's pasta courses came out.  Damn, they smelled good.

I once went to a restaurant in Denver that had pretenses of sophistication and was offering a special truffle menu.  Thing was, they had candles emitting that awful artificial vanilla smell on each table.  Really? Bad enough to have that odor meandering between my fork and my nose when all I'm shoveling in is fusilli with parmigiana and olive oil.  But to have that stink overwhelming the brutally expensive and (one hopes) erotically charged perfume of fresh-shaved Albanian truffles from Alba?  I think not.