Washingtonian.com, with Editors Todd Kliman and Ann Limpert

CatherineAndrews

Hi everybody - had a few fun links I wanted to pass your way. First off, we interviewed Granville Moore's Teddy Folkman about his experience up against Bobby Flay, and got a video demo of his recipe for the winning mussels. You can get that all here.

Second, we were at Spike's Good Stuff Eatery grand opening party on Monday, and got bunches of video interviews with some Top Chef folks (Lisa, Antonia, and Stephanie), and lots of photos. Check it out!

Cheers,

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi everybody - we just put up a few online items that I wanted to pass along to you all. First off, if you didn't see, Todd Kliman is doing a second contest for his chat. The details are here, and the prize is a $150 gift certificate to Circle Bistro.

Also, we just put up a video FeedBack taken outside of Ray's Hell-Burger. You can watch it here.

Finally! We did an audio slideshow with Jamie Leeds about the process she went through opening up CommonWealth. We took several of her personal notes, documents, and drawings from the period when she was brainstorming about the restaurant up until a nearly-final version of the menu, and she narrated over them. You can see the slideshow and CommonWealth's menu here.

Hope you enjoy these posts!

Catherine

washingtonian.com

How do you have an issue featuring desserts focusing on "adult beverages" and not even mention the area's own Frank Morales, the guy who gave the whole concept national attention with brew pops? Even Washingtonian picked up on the buzz last year. Weird
ok I've waited long enough to respond to this post. I've looked at the Washingtonian website and couldn't find what you were talking about. Is there a link, please? I would love to know what dc has to offer that competes with Frank's beer popsicles...

ok I've waited long enough to respond to this post. I've looked at the Washingtonian website and couldn't find what you were talking about. Is there a link, please? I would love to know what dc has to offer that competes with Frank's beer popsicles...

The website is usually a month behind the printed edition, and I think this article is in the issue that just hit newsstands.

Hi everybody - just passing along a few blog posts, etc, that I thought you'd enjoy. First up is the news that I've convinced Todd Kliman to sign up for a Twitter account :lol: I haven't actually convinced him to start using it, yet, but baby steps. He's at twitter.com/toddkliman - and there's also a Washingtonian one at twitter.com/washingtonian

Secondly, we posted an early look at CommonWealth that's getting some really interesting comments.

We also have Restaurant Week menus, RW extensions, and Todd's personal RW picks.

And we just put up a video FeedBack for Nando's! And if you missed it, we did a video FeedBack for Good Stuff Eatery last week.

Phew. Enjoy!

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi folks - just wanted to pass along the latest links from Best Bites and washingtonian.com.

-Hello Cupcake: Are these cupcakes worth the line?

-Good Humor: Who says summer's only for kids? We asked six chefs to rejigger the iconic ice-cream truck's goodies for grown-up tastes. Check out the recipes they came up with.

-Review of Thirsty Bernie: Meat master Jamie Stachowski's Arlington sports bar offers brews, brats, and the promise of big things.

-First Look: La Sandia: The menu is a traipse through Sandoval's native Mexico and amounts to a sometimes compelling, sometimes dispiriting travelogue.

-Video FeedBack: CommonWealth: This week, we staked out CommonWealth, the new Columbia Heights gastropub from Hank's Oyster Bar chef/owner Jamie Leeds.

Enjoy!

Catherine
washingtonian.com

Hi everybody - just wanted to give you a heads up on our food critics' coverage of Adour last night. To wit:

"Alain Ducasse and his 14 Michelin stars blew into town last night for the opening of Adour at the St. Regis, and we were there.

Part one of our coverage began with food and wine editor Todd Kliman's dispatches from the dining room - our first-ever real-time restaurant review.

Part two concludes today.

Below we give you not one critic's appraisal of the restaurant but three - three scorecards (Adour cards, if you will). We follow that with an assessment of Adour's wine program because the restaurant has billed its technique-driven French cooking as "designed with wine in mind."

Four critics weighing in on things would seem as much an instance of overkill as following a multicourse meal with cheese and dessert and a tray of petits fours - not to mention a violation of the usual critical imperative to give a new place a few weeks to a month to settle in and work out the kinks."

You can read all the scorecards here. Enjoy!

Catherine
washingtonian.com

Hi everybody - just passing a few of our latest links your way.

Move Over, Citronelle: Johnny Monis has made Komi into the most soulful and personal restaurant in DC - and maybe the best.

Eric Who? Marino Keeps 'Em Coming to Westend

Hidden Eats: Pupatella: Great pizza from a little red food cart in Ballston.

First Look: Ray's Hell-Burger

A Night Out: Outstanding in the Field Dinner

Video FeedBack: Hello Cupcake

Also, we've started a new feature. Every Monday, Table to Table will give you a weekly schedule of the best food events coming up. Check back for it!

Enjoy,

Catherine
washingtonian.com

Hi everybody - just wanted to post a few of our latest links that I thought you'd enjoy.

Raising the Bar: Best Wine Bars in Washington, DC: Wine bars have emerged as a hot restaurant trend. Where are the best places to sip a half glass of Pinot Noir? Here’s how to separate the wine temples from the wannabes.

Burger Wars: The burger wars have erupted, with three new spots duking it out for fast-foodie supremacy.

Cocoa a Go Go: Chocolate has been turned into candy, cakes, and drinks. Now pastry chefs are saying it’s worthy of an entire restaurant.

The Big Chill: How Chefs Are Embracing Fall Ingredients

An Early Look at Founding Farmers

Enjoy!

Thanks,

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Happy post-election day, everyone! Your thoughts are probably more on politics than on food, but wanted to let you know about a few things.

-We're holding a Kliman Online contest to celebrate three years of online chats! Entering is simple. Just list three dishes from three local restaurants - one for each course - and give a brief description of your rationale for choosing them. The menu that captures what Todd loves most about Washington dining will win a gift certificate worth $150 to the Italian trattoria Notti Bianche in Foggy Bottom. Email your answers to me at candrews@washingtonian.com before November 17.

-We ask you today which restaurants you'd tell Barack Obama to hit when he moves into the White House. And if you can, give him a suggestion for a favorite dish. The discussion is already rolling with lots of ideas.

-We're starting a new twice a month feature by Kelly DiNardo called the Frugal Foodie. She'll ask local chefs to whip up delicious meals on a budget. For the first one, Tony Conte of the Oval Room comes up with a winner for just $10.

Thanks!

Catherine
washingtonian.com

Hi everyone, just dropping in to let you know about a few things that have gone up on Washingtonian.com recently.

-An Early Look at Bourbon Steak

-A foodie gift guide

-A few more gift ideas for foodies

-A new Frugal Foodie, where Dennis Marron made a delicious brunch for six for $20

Enjoy! And happy holidays.

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi everyone! So our 100 Best Restaurants issue will come out on January 22, and to celebrate it, we're hosting a contest to see who can guess the top 20 restaurants on our list this year. If you'd like to enter, the full details can be found here. The person who gets the top 20 rankings as close as possible to what ours are wins a gift certificate to a 100 best restaurant.

Enjoy, and good luck!

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi everyone! Hope you're excited for all the upcoming activities this weekend. I thought I would just point you towards some of our food-related inauguration coverage. And additionally, here is our complete inauguration guide.

Memo to Obama Team: Eden Center, Ethiopian, Half-Smokes . . .The transfer of power from Bush to Obama has been one of the smoothest and fastest. Now comes a transition for all the new staffers, friends, and supporters: learning a new city. They can ease their entry by eating at these spots.

Almost Like Being Back Home: Here are Washington restaurants that will remind the Obamas of their favorite Chicago spots.

The Frugal Foodie: R.J. Cooper of Vidalia: Can you ring in a new president without ringing up a shocking bill? We challenge Vidalia's chef, R.J. Cooper, to whip up a celebratory inauguration feast for $20 (ish).

Taste the Inauguration: Bonbons for Hope and Change: If you need a reason to eat chocolate - but really, who does? - Jason Andelman gives you this one: to celebrate the inauguration. His chocolate boutique in Arlington, Artisan Confections, started churning out inauguration-themed bonbons yesterday.

Taste the Inauguration: Obama Treats for Sweet Tooths: Want to really impress your guests during the inauguration? Order a batch of Lara Stuckey's handmade Barack Obama sweets.

What Will Obama Eat on Inauguration Day? Breaking news: Barack Obama's first act as president will be. . .to eat lunch

Also, we have just put up our Dirt Cheap Eats package online. Enjoy!

Catherine
Washingtonian.com

Hi everyone - as I see from discussion elsewhere on the board, lots of you have already seen the 100 Best Restaurants issue! But there are some online-only components I wanted to let you know about...

-We're counting down the top 20 restaurants over the next week or two right here.

-And we've got a gorgeous slide show of food from the top 100 restaurants.

-This week's Chew on This asks you: Do you agree with our #1 ranking? If not, what do you think should be #1?

-Todd chatted a bit about some of the decisions involved in the 100 best list in Kliman Online this week.

Also, unrelated, we have a guide to Valentine's Day menus and a full Valentine's Day guide.

Enjoy!

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi everyone,

In addition to our 100 Best Restaurants online coverage, I wanted to let you know about something exciting on Washingtonian.com—you can now add your own reviews of restaurants! It's a pretty simple process, which I explain here. And you can see some examples of reader reviews that have already been added for Brasserie Beck and Matchbox, just to show you a couple.

We know how engaged and informed the dining community is in Washington, and we're thrilled that you can now add your thoughts and insights on local restaurants to what our critics say. If you have any questions or feedback about the feature, please feel free to email me at candrews@washingtonian.com. I look forward to reading your reviews!

Catherine

washingtonian.com

What happened to the Washingtonian contest in which the magazine promised a $150 dollar gift certificate to Notti Bianchi for the best list of three favorite courses -- appetizer, main course, dessert -- from local restaurants?

The announcement was a few months ago. The deadline was November 17. I have written to Catherine twice asking her where the results were announced and where I could read the winning entry.

The first time she said it would be on Todd's blog. I was unable to find it there, although it's possible I missed it.

The second time, more recently, she didn't respond at all.

I have felt that Washingtonian has improved in recent years from its suck-up-to-advertisers begninning. So surely there must have been a winner to the contest that Catherine announced here on this board, it must have been posted somewhere, and the result must be available somewhere.

So congratulations to the person who won, whoever you are. Please reveal yourself, and share your winning entry.

What happened to the Washingtonian contest in which the magazine promised a $150 dollar gift certificate to Notti Bianchi for the best list of three favorite courses -- appetizer, main course, dessert -- from local restaurants?
I have been wondering the same thing!

I have been wondering the same thing!

The Chat continued to promote the contest through the January 6th. edition regardless of the stated November 17th deadline. So if you forget about November, it hasn't been that long. Perhaps a lack of entries?

Edited to say: Oops. Didn't see Catherine's answer above. On the other hand, it's interesting that the answer appeared several hours or more after the chat had closed.

I thought this bit of the contest winner's menu was curious:

72 hour short ribs at Central

marinated sauce penetrated all the way through, texture of the meat is tender yet still a bit andante. The cracked black pepper and other spice rub creates sensory symphony in one's mouth

If it had been cooked at a higher temperature would it have been allegro non troppo? And resulted in a sensory sonatina?

Or did he mean al dente and muddled his metaphors?

I thought this bit of the contest winner's menu was curious:

72 hour short ribs at Central

marinated sauce penetrated all the way through, texture of the meat is tender yet still a bit andante. The cracked black pepper and other spice rub creates sensory symphony in one's mouth

If it had been cooked at a higher temperature would it have been allegro non troppo? And resulted in a sensory sonatina?

Or did he mean al dente and muddled his metaphors?

Ann Dente is my wife. She is moderately slow.

Sorry for the delay in the contest! I hope it didn't bother anybody too much. We got caught up in 100 best, Valentine's Day and a slew of other things and I let it fall by the wayside - my fault completely.

Unrelatedly, but additionally - thought you folks might enjoy our freakishly comprehensive guide to menus of participating Restaurant Week restaurants.

We also finished counting down the top 20 restaurants from the 100 Best list. Check back early next week, when the full package should be online.

Cheers,
Catherine
washingtonian.com

Hi everyone! In honor of March Madness, and our burger obsession, Washingtonian.com is launching a new series called The Burger Brackets. We've selected 32 of our favorite burger spots, and every day through the rest of March, we'll be pairing off their creations, two by two, and asking readers to vote on which of them is the best. At the end of the month, a top burger place will prevail as the winner!

I thought you all might be interested in participating in this feature - we expect the competition to really heat up! - so I wanted to pass along the link to our inaugural post here. Keep up with this series throughout the month here.

Check back on washingtonian.com for the first face-off tomorrow at 10 AM.

Thanks!

Catherine
washingtonian.com

Well, Charlie Palmer Steak put in a noble effort in yesterday's Burger Brackets...sort of. Actually, they pretty much got crushed by BLT Steak's burger, 75 percent to 25 percent.

3-1

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

(BTW Central is stuffing the ballot box!)

Hi everybody! Thanks to all who participated in the Burger Brackets. If you didn't see, the winner was announced last Friday. We'll likely do another brackets later this year, so if you have suggestions for what food we should focus on, let us know!

Here are a few more links I thought you'd find useful:

-Our Easter Brunch guide

-Our Passover guide

-Who do you think should win a RAMMY?

-A picnic guide

Thanks!

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here! But we have some good stuff up on the web site, and just wanted to point you to it:

-Our drool-worthy Cheap Eats slideshow is up online, and the new Cheap Eats issue is on stands now

-We rounded up some of our favorite brunches in Washington

-Some new reviews are up - Inox, Founding Farmers, and more

-We profiled the Fojol Bros, with a video - they're a new street cart entry on the scene

Also, likely most of you know this, but in case you don't, we have a very active Twitter account where we post lots of new content and announcements. Twitter.com/washingtonian

Cheers, and have a great weekend!

Catherine
washingtonian.com

Hi there, folks, just dropping in to let you know about a few new things up at Washingtonian.com..

-Delicious Dining Deals: Determined to lure diners despite the economy, high-profile restaurants have come up with stimulus packages. Here are some of our favorites. Link here.

-The Best of Washington package is now up, and it includes lots of food fun. The full thing is here.

-You may have seen that we started the Pizza Pool - a reader-voted feature on the best pizza in Washington. The full bracket and a contest to win a $100 gift certificate to Pete's can be found here.

-Rahm Emanuel, foodie? Seems like it!

-Have you been following our Recipe Sleuth feature? You ask for a recipe from a restaurant, and we find it out for you. Read the full archive here.

Enjoy!

Catherine
washingtonian.com

Hi everyone! Just dropping in on this hot August day to show you a few new things we've put up.

-I hope you're all following the Pizza Pool, as we have readers vote on the best pizza in Washington.

-We have a First Look at Blue Ridge

-...And an early look at Room 11, the new wine bar in Columbia Heights

-Readers dished feedback on Zentan

-And we round up some of our favorite sticky buns in the area.

As always, you can find more at our Best Bites Blog, our twitter feed, and in our Food & Dining section.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Cheers,

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you know about a few new things on Washingtonian.com...

-Hope you're following the Pizza Pool. We're nearly down to the Final Four here!

-We put together a guide to restaurants that are extending their Restaurant Week. You can read it here.

-A lot of folks tweeted their Restaurant Week experiences, and also commented on our Best Bites blog, and we rounded up all their thoughts here.

-We have a First Look at Cajun Experience in Leesburg here.

Enjoy!

Thanks,

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Happy Tuesday, everybody! Hope you're enjoying Todd's chat right now. Just dropping in to let you know about a few new things...

-We have a FeedBack Video from Kora

-We have the menus and photos from SeventhHill, the new pizza place from the Montmartre folks.

-Folks have plenty to say about Mike Isabella in our Chew On This blog post.

-A couple of these events have passed, but here's an Oktoberfest restaurant roundup.

-Have you been reading the weekly Recipe Sleuths? Last week was Art and Soul's popular skillet bread. Send any requests you have to recipesleuth@washingtonian.com

-There's a couple of great (and romantic!) dining guides in our Fall Weekends package.

Cheers!

Catherine

washingtonian.com

Hi everybody! We have a bunch of new stuff up I thought you'd enjoy...

-We're asking folks to chime in with their opinions about Barton Seaver being named the best chef in America by Esquire Magazine.

-We have an early look at Sou'Wester with photos and menus.

-And an early look at Eola as well.

-We've got our annual dining reader survey up, and we'd love it if you participated. You could win a free dinner to Potenza, Black's Bar and Kitchen, and more.

Cheers!

Catherine

washingtonian.com