Ting - Jamaican Grapefruit Soda anywhere?

staytuspro

I am having insatiable cravings for Ting, the best citrus soda around. It is a product from Jamaica, all natural, real grapefruit. Anyone know where I might be able to find it around the DC? Vodka Ting's are the official cocktail of Jamaica for good reason. It has to be around somewhere, Pepsi distributes it. Thanks.

I am having insatiable cravings for Ting, the best citrus soda around. It is a product from Jamaica, all natural, real grapefruit. Anyone know where I might be able to find it around the DC? Vodka Ting's are the official cocktail of Jamaica for good reason. It has to be around somewhere, Pepsi distributes it. Thanks.

I think you can find it a Tropicana (several DC locations) and Taste of Jamaica.

I think you can find it a Tropicana (several DC locations) and Taste of Jamaica.

There is a big international supermarket (that may even be its name) in the strip shopping center at the intersection of University and New Hampshire. Is that Langley Park??? If they don't have it I don't know who would. A Mexican outfit called Jarritos also makes a variety of fruit sodas including a very good grapefruit version, to which I am quite partial. They seem to be available just about anywhere Mexicans are found. Even the gringo supermarkets here in the mountains of North Carolina carry the stuff. Worth a shot.

thanks everyone, I will be going on a ting field trip sometime this weekend. I figured I would ask before ordering it online from Jamaica, the shipping options for a case were as follows:

"By Air - Fed Ex approx 3-5 days $175"

"By Sea - Boat - approx 30-60 days $45"

haha... the boating option looked particularly interesting. I hear that the flavor of Ting is like nothing else after rolling around a ships hull for two months, like a nice madeira. :-)

I agree, Ting rocks. Jamaica Jamaica in Herndon definitely has it, as well as some serious down-home unpretentious but good cooking. You may want to call a few Giant Foods before trekking out here, though. I have occasionally seen Ting in Giants, some of which also carry the outstanding Grace Foods habanero sauce at about $1/bottle.

I've seen Squirt around, but it's not easy to find. Especially with all the Soviet grocery stores around here. A pretty darned good substitute is the generic grapefruit soda they sell at Safeway - though I think you can only get it in cans. There's a company named Polar Beverages that sells at Wegman's and another grocery store in Boston that sells a grapefruit soda called half and half? Also solid.

Tab was the worst diet drink ever made.

You've obviously never sampled the horror that was Vernor's 1-cal, an aggressively bad diet soda from the upper mid-west in the early 80's. It has since been replaced with a different diet formulation of their root beer.

How bad was it? When I was a half-starved teenaged camp counselor, someone gave us a six pack of this noxious brew. People would come in, grab a bottle, take a single gulp, and hastily discard the bottle. Yep, rejected by teenagers. It was thin, tasted more of watered apple cider than of ginger, and dominated by whatever witches brew of artificial sweeteners they'd decided to use.

When I was up in Baltimore I found pink Ting, which has lemon juice as well as grapefruit, and is obviously, pink. Haven't cracked it yet. Am interested to see the new Fanta Grapefruit that supposedly came out this year... supposed to be a lot less artificial compared to the Orange Fanta.