I really like the fried Calamari at Capital Grill. Lots of hot peppers and always very tender.

Having had it as recently as last Monday - been meaning to post about that meal - I think that Cap Grille has the best "traditional" preparation of this dish in DC. But this raises an interesting question (to me at least) none of the high end restaurants/big name chefs would ever do this dish. Is the Grille's calamari the best because Richard, Power, Ruta, Monis, et al functionally cede this area to them?

Sadly, my favorite place is Carlyle in Shirlington. That being said, I really liked the calamari i've ordered at Dino and Bebbo

I also like their preparation too.

I believe Jaleo's fried squid is excellent, not sure if the best in town, but the most memorable on a regular basis.

I've personally found it to be inconsistent - sometimes cooked at the right temp, but sometimes not so the coating gets extremely greasy. It does help that there is the yummy aioli to go with, which is rather redemptive. I wonder if the ones at Taberna del Albardero are better?

West End bistro, Dino and Al A lucia.

The last order we had at A La Lucia was disappointing. Bland, not crispy. I prefer the calamari at FireFlies (Del Ray). They serve it with a sweet spicy sauce.

One sauce that is good w/ fried calamari is Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce.

http://www.amazon.com/Ploy-Sweet-Chili-Sau...s/dp/B00016UX0K

I'd swear it is what some restaurants are using.

For many years my favorite fried calamari (as well as fried scallops) in DC has been at Teatro Goldoni. Not sure if it has changed now that Fabrizio has left for Florida. I also used to enjoy a ver different fried calamari at Yanyu. I guess I'm living in the past with this post.

For many years my favorite fried calamari (as well as fried scallops) in DC has been at Teatro Goldoni. Not sure if it has changed now that Fabrizio has left for Florida. I also used to enjoy a ver different fried calamari at Yanyu. I guess I'm living in the past with this post.

clyde's in gtown and Reston, have always delivered consistent delicious calamari (at least in my opinion)..

clyde's in gtown and Reston, have always delivered consistent delicious calamari (at least in my opinion)..

I will second Clyde's. Their fried calamari has always been one of the best items on their menu. Huge portion, crispy, plenty of tentacles, zippy remoulade-ish dipping sauce instead of boring marinara -- what's not to like?

The one dish I have found at Coastal Flats that makes me return is the Crispy Sweet & Spicy Calamari. Not the best squid I have ever had, but still good. The worst I ever had was at the craphole that was replaced by the equally as bad Overwood, I think they were picked-up from a bargain bin at Aldi's, truly horrible stuff.

We've always enjoyed the fried squid at Clyde's. It's a nice portion with plenty of tentacles. I'm from RI, so I know my squid.:lol: Capital Grille (founded in RI) also does a nice job with "RI-style" fried calamari with hot peppers. 

I'll definitely second the idea of Thai restaurants for squid too. Can't vouch specifically for that one, but definitely something I'd look for on a Thai menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

I'm from RI, so I know my squid.:lol: Capital Grille (founded in RI) also does a nice job with "RI-style" fried calamari with hot peppers.

I'm from RI, too, and I always love seeing RI-style calamari on distant menus, especially when the menu notes that the squid is from Point Judith or some other specific place!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dracisk said:

I'm from RI, too, and I always love seeing RI-style calamari on distant menus, especially when the menu notes that the squid is from Point Judith or some other specific place!

I'm pretty sure "RI-style" calamari was created, or at least first appeared on a menu, at a place called Trattoria D'Antuono on Federal Hill in Providence in the 80s. Nice little homey place. My dad, a trencherman of some repute, loved it. Chronology-wise, it would make sense since it then went "big time" on the first Capital Grille menu in 1990.

• Like 2