Iberian "Bellota Jamí³n" Cured Ham

Joe Riley

I ran across this, and it sounds intriguing to me. Has anyone tried it? http://www.ibericosmaldonado.com/ingles/productos7.htm

As far as I know, the only company that exports jamón ibérico de bellotas is Fermin. With many thanks to the efforts of José Andrés, Rogers International imports what many consider the finest ham on the planet.

If you want to try it, Jaleo is serving it.

As far as I know, the only company that exports jamón ibérico de bellotas is Fermin. With many thanks to the efforts of José Andrés, Rogers International imports what many consider the finest ham on the planet.

If you want to try it, Jaleo is serving it.

The de bellota type hasn't been imported yet. It needs a little more time to cure, so it is one of the lesser forms of the Iberico at Jaleo. The lesser is going for around $52/lb, and the de bellota is going for about twice that amount. But they are made from happy, free-range, acorn-eating piggies.

excuse me, at $52 a pound who is happy again???

The de bellota type hasn't been imported yet. It needs a little more time to cure, so it is one of the lesser forms of the Iberico at Jaleo. The lesser is going for around $52/lb, and the de bellota is going for about twice that amount. But they are made from happy, free-range, acorn-eating piggies.

excuse me, at $52 a pound who is happy again???

I bought some today at Dean & Deluca. It was marked $87 a pound. I ordered a quarter pound and giggled when the clerk put the sticker on that said $4.69. Conscience made me point out the mistake. It was worth every penny. Incredibly delicious, tender, haunting. This is definitely worth the splurge.

I bought some today at Dean & Deluca. It was marked $87 a pound. I ordered a quarter pound and giggled when the clerk put the sticker on that said $4.69. Conscience made me point out the mistake. It was worth every penny. Incredibly delicious, tender, haunting. This is definitely worth the splurge.

I had some for lunch on New Year's Eve. It was part of a remakable charcuterie (and cheese) selection at the Cheesemonger on Main Street in Great Barrington, MA. I polished off a 1/4 pound of it (at $90 a pound), and a 1/4 pound of Pio Tosini prosciutto (at $30 a pound). I loved the jamon - it had an element of that toro/kobe butteriness that I've never found in other jamon or prosciutto - but I would be hard pressed to say it was that much more enjoyable than the Pio Tosini.