If you can get to Yellow Springs, which is closer to Dayton, do make a reservation for The Winds Cafe, and you can stop at Young's Jersey Dairy for ice cream. Also, for a retail adventure just north of Cincinnati, go to Jungle Jim's. Google it. Theme park meets ethnic market meets fabulous wine selection...no description will do it justice. Pack a cooler and your patience...especially on a weekend....it gets crazy busy. We drive from Columbus twice a year to stock up.

Thanks for the link for The Winds Cafe.

Surprisingly my wife has low interest in taking me to Jungle Jim's, so we've never made the trip. Of course, we're usually visiting during holiday times or special occasions so there hasn't been a lot of time for just shopping.

Any new tips for Cincinnati? Particularly for dinner on the way to and from the airport (in the direction of Lexington, KY - but can probably deviate). Both times we'll have a 17 month old with us so kid-friendly would help - but still chef aunt friendly if possible!

Has anyone been to the Orchids at Palm Court, in downtown Cincinnati?  Getting very good press.  The Chef is Todd Kelly.

(Rue Demain isn't an option for this trip, timewise - it's the Orchids or eating at the hotel bar -- which has some delicious sounding items that have my favorite ingredients -- or getting room service. Just deciding whether The Orchids deserves its glowing reviews enough for me to spend the extra money there instead of less at the hotel bar.)

I had a really great rack of baby back ribs at the Montgomery Inn, The Boathouse the other day. The restaurant is located on the banks of the Ohio river, and with a rounded glass wall, provides excellent views. The sauce is thick, wet, and on the sweet side, so it's not the dry southern-style of bbq. I prefer it this way, if I'm being honest. I also shared an order of the Saratoga Chips, which is basically another method for eating their sauce, this time via potato chips (house made). It's an old-school kind of place filled with Ohio sports memorabilia. I rather enjoyed it.

Anything recent or anyone on the board living there? Headed out for a weekend soon and would love the kind of quality advice only found on dr.com. Dinner of any ethnicity and across price points with quality the main criterium? Breakfast? Whether the higher-priced seats at Great American Ballpark that include food are worth it?

Some calibration, context or what have you from a recent visit:

Local 127 on Vine: Liked it. Pretty good even. Maybe close to as good as it gets in Cincinnati? Not at all sure. Local, farm-to-table, yada, yada. Guess I'd go back. But I'd rather go to places I haven't been.

Local127, right near Fountain Square, closed last year.

Based on my memories of Cincinnati (more than a decade old) I thought it might pay to ask well ahead.  I will be in Cincinnati in July of next year for a week and will be looking for reasonably priced meals worth eating.  Last time I was in town, the best to be found was a Blimpie sub shop.  I definitely hope to do better this time!  Most of the dining will need to be within walking distance from the Duke Energy Convention Center, though we will have a car, and there will be at least one excursion to Jungle Jim's!

On 10/26/2017 at 12:09 AM, donk79 said:

Based on my memories of Cincinnati (more than a decade old) I thought it might pay to ask well ahead.  I will be in Cincinnati in July of next year for a week and will be looking for reasonably priced meals worth eating.  Last time I was in town, the best to be found was a Blimpie sub shop.  I definitely hope to do better this time!  Most of the dining will need to be within walking distance from the Duke Energy Convention Center, though we will have a car, and there will be at least one excursion to Jungle Jim's!

Jean-Robert Caval used to be the chef at The Maisonette (where I've been twice, believe it or not). This is back when your two sources for nationwide dining were AAA and Mobil.

And, like it or not, it was pronounced "The Mason ette."

Most of the dining will need to be within walking distance from the Duke Energy Convention Center, though we will have a car, and there will be at least one excursion to Jungle Jim's!

Try and make it to Jungle Jim's once a year during the trips to see the wife's family. Whole heartedly recommend checking out the hot sauce area. I've never seen more variety any place in the country. 

On 11/3/2017 at 1:41 PM, DonRocks said:

Jean-Robert Caval used to be the chef at The Maisonette (where I've been twice, believe it or not). This is back when your two sources for nationwide dining were AAA and Mobil.

Ha!  That's what I remember of that area.  Check out the pronunciation of the town of Versailles NW of Dayton.  Then move on to Russia, pronounced Rue-see!

On 11/3/2017 at 1:41 PM, DonRocks said:

TS.jpeg

So! I'll be finding myself in Cincinnati for 2-3 nights soon, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything.

There's the Jean-Robert restaurant group, Jose Salazar's restaurants, Camp Washington Chili (probably a lunch stop).

But I have nowhere in mind for dinners - does anyone have specific restaurants to try? I'm happy to try anything and everything, from the down-and-dirty, to the Maisonette offspring (I guess La Maisonette is about the first ultra-luxe restaurant I ever tried). 

Three nights, and probably two days ... any ideas?

PS - Please tune into Matt Rockwell's senior recital ... Sat, Apr 6, 5-6 PM, live-streamed ... I'll have more information as the date approaches, but it's going to be really good.

Matt Plays Things 3: The Threequel

Threequel.jpg

• Like 1

I did not touch the fancier dining scene while I was there, but I can heartily recommend Taste of Belgium for solid and tasty fare (And a pretty decent beer selection as well!).  Also, if I were back in Cincinatti, I would be at Maplewood Kitchen and Bar at every opportunity.  In particular, the goetta is not to be missed!

14 hours ago, donk79 said:

I did not touch the fancier dining scene while I was there, but I can heartily recommend Taste of Belgium for solid and tasty fare (And a pretty decent beer selection as well!).  Also, if I were back in Cincinatti, I would be at Maplewood Kitchen and Bar at every opportunity.  In particular, the goetta is not to be missed!

Goetta sounds a lot like scapple - we're there for one meal.

Terry's Turf Club also!

I grew up eating scrapple, and love it.  Goetta is in the same family tree as scrapple.  The grain in the goetta is very prominent.  But I have to say, if I could get goetta regularly, I would abandon scrapple immediately!

Of course, I believe they put goose (duck?)fat on the griddle before cooking the goetta.  That may have something to do with why I liked it so much!

On 3/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, donk79 said:

Also, if I were back in Cincinatti, I would be at Maplewood Kitchen and Bar at every opportunity.  In particular, the goetta is not to be missed!

We’ve been to Maplewood, it’s pretty good. 

Thank you for the recommendations - three nights upcoming, and staying right on Fountain Square. 

(Also, if there are any must-try places between Cincinnati and Bloomington, please let me know.)

Don't forget, Matt's senior recital is Saturday at 5 PM, and will be live-streamed (I'll have the information here).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Thank you for the recommendations - three nights upcoming, and staying right on Fountain Square. 

(Also, if there are any must-try places between Cincinnati and Bloomington, please let me know.)

Don't forget, Matt's senior recital is Saturday at 5 PM, and will be live-streamed (I'll have the information here).

Depending on your definition of “between,” The Winds in Yellow Springs, near Dayton south of 1-70, is a gem. The town is a hippie enclave and is super cute. Great lunch stop. Then get ice cream at Young’s Jersey Dairy. 

On 3/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, donk79 said:

Maplewood Kitchen and Bar did not disappoint! Thank you for the recommendation. The lemon ricotta pancakes, with a side of house-made sausage, were deliciously decadent.

12F7F452-34B1-49E1-BE2D-565891DED6E1.jpeg

• Like 2