Market Tavern (formerly Harry's Tap Room), Clarendon Blvd. in Clarendon - Closed

So...my partner and i went to Harry's Tap Room in Clarendon on sunday, to take advantage of the brunch. it was about 1:00 and it seemed steady...not overly busy from what i could see...

so here is the thing, and let me state before i get into my complaint...i was a waiter for a looooong time, and my tolerance for sub-par waiting is pretty high, as i understand that bad days happen, and everyone can have an off day.

SO...after we were seated we waited for about 10-15 minutes for the server to come over and ask us if we wanted something to drink (the waiter came within about a minute of our arrival, which was nice). We gave him our full order (one lemonade, one oj, steak and eggs (steak MR, eggs over hard) and eggs benedict).

and then we waited.

and the waiter finally came with our drinks (at about half an hour into our sitting down) at which point we asked about the bread and jam. he told us that they bread was in the oven and he was sorry for the wait. he also said that he thought the benedict was up on the line and the steak should be ready soon. ok, fine. the bread would be fresh and our meal would be out soon. good deal.

so about 5-10 minutes later, the biscuits arrived. we also asked for refills on the drinks, as they had been long gone. my first issue was that i found it hard to believe that the biscuits (which, while small were REALLY good) would have taken about 40 minutes to bake. i also started getting concerned that my partner's eggs benedict had been sitting under a heat light for about 15 minutes at this point. i would think that this would 1. keep the eggs cooking, taking away the runny poached part of the meal, and 2. would have made the bread soggy...

and where was my medium rare steak?

so at this point we started becoming uncomfortable. i have mentioned i was a waiter, and i am LOATHE to cause issues at restaurants. but i was really hungry.

our waiter came towards us and dropped off drinks at the next table, which had been sat about 15-20 minutes after us. the guy at that table made a joke asking if they had run out of oj. the waiter laughed it off and headed back to the kitchen (which was an open kitchen, in full view of anyone sitting in the restaurant).

and still we waited. i should also note that the host table was right behind us, with both the host and a person i assume was a manager or something standing there, in full view of our nearly empty and food free table.

so after another 15 minutes, i called over the hostess and said that we had been waiting about an hour for our food. (it had actually been more then an hour at this point) and if there was anything she could do. she said she would get the waiter. i watched her head over to the kitchen, talk to the waiter, who looked around at us, then went back to waiting near the line. she came back towards us, stopping to talk to the managerial type man.

THEN a runner came towards us with two plates. FINALLY...oh, wait...where is he going? he went to the table next to us (with the slow oj, that had been sat 15 minutes after us...) and dropped off there food. at that point we stood up, told the hostess we were leaving and left about $10 to cover the drinks.

so yeah...has anyone eaten there? is the food good enough for us to go back and give it another shot? i feel like i wanted to send an email or something, but the site didn't have a contact for me, and i sort of didn't want to call and have to explain the whole situation over the phone...i would go back if i was somehow shown some compensation (for having to wait, not getting any food, etc) but again, the waiter in me feels a little guilty. had the server come over a little more often, i probably could have been placated.

any thoughts? (and if this is an inappropriate thing to do, complain about a restaurant, just let me know! thanks!)

Your experience there doesn't surprise me. Brunch used to be pretty good there years ago, but last time I went the service was atrocious and I was served rancid butter. The exact same things have happened to me (no breadbasket, food not arriving) and I haven't been in a long time so apparently things haven't changed.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've never been for brunch, and never had bad service, but that won't keep me from adding my own comments. :P

I was excited when the place first opened- cool interior, good bread, nice little fillets, good mussels- what's not to like?

I was there maybe two months ago and they had raised their prices on the fillets (and most other entrees too, I think), yet it seemed they were smaller. With Ray's just down the hill, there's no reason to pay $22 when I could get an AWESOME steak for less than $30 at Ray's.

It's a shame- it's a nice space, but I just don't think it provides a good value anymore.

...so yeah...has anyone eaten there?  is the food good enough for us to go back and give it another shot?  i feel like i wanted to send an email or something, but the site didn't have a contact for me, and i sort of didn't want to call and have to explain the whole situation over the phone...i would go back if i was somehow shown some compensation (for having to wait, not getting any food, etc) but again, the waiter in me feels a little guilty.  had the server come over a little more often, i probably could have been placated.

any thoughts? (and if this is an inappropriate thing to do, complain about a restaurant, just let me know!  thanks!)

this is the type of expereince that presents a very constant reminder of precisely how thin the talent pool is.

i would give them at least one more chance to redeem themselves. there were multiple opportunities for the "manager type" to have recognized the existance of a problem and stepped in to apologize and offer a solution. and any reasonably alert manager would have, at the same time, however, i would have asked to see manager during the meal that wasn't.

i would give a call tommorow - most general managers take monday's off - and ask to speak with the gm. relate your experience and ask her/him to explain why you should try them again. if you are not satisfied with the answer, then ask for the name of the regional manager.

in my mind this is not about seeking a free meal - and i am sure that is not your intent either. this is about sunday mornings and the abject failure of harry's to deliver on the implied and explicit promise of a good time on the last breath of a weekend.

good luck.

I have always had the opposite experience at Harry's, though I have never been for brunch. One time when we were there for dinner, there was a big storm and the restuarant lost all of its power, though they had emergency lighting and the fridge ran on a generator. The management/staff handled the situation perfectly. Since most people could not get their food because it couldnt be cooked, the resturant offered free salads and wine to all customers. The power continued to be out as the electric company worked on it, and the staff constinued to bring free food and drinks ALL night. After waiting an hour or so for the electricty to be fixed, we decided to give up. We asked for the check since we had ordered drinks before the power went out, but they said our whole bill was on them and then asked if we wanted a free dessert to take home! They were in no way responsible for the weather and went above and beyond. With that I will always be a customer there!

I have always had the opposite experience at Harry's, though I have never been for brunch. One time when we were there for dinner, there was a big storm and the restuarant lost all of its power, though they had emergency lighting and the fridge ran on a generator. The management/staff handled the situation perfectly. Since most people could not get their food because it couldnt be cooked, the resturant offered free salads and wine to all customers. The power continued to be out as the electric company worked on it, and the staff constinued to bring free food and drinks ALL night. After waiting an hour or so for the electricty to be fixed, we decided to give up. We asked for the check since we had ordered drinks before the power went out, but they said our whole bill was on them and then asked if we wanted a free dessert to take home! They were in no way responsible for the weather and went above and beyond. With that I will always be a customer there!

i would agree that your experience would fall in the "above and beyond" category. which is another reason why i would give them an opportunity to rectify this situation.

it is an unfortunate truth that in many restaurants brunch is the neglected child from a staffing perspective. i have had a brunch in places where the "manager" was the back-server the previous night. don't know if that is the case here, what i do know is that if the experience was accurately recounted - i have no reason to believe it was not - management failed. service and kitchen teams perhaps failed too, but this is the type of problem managers are paid to recognize and resolve before a guest walks out. a call to the gm, and i would bet a bottle of 85' diamond creek that s/he was not working the floor, is in my mind the next step. explain the situation dispassionately and without affectation, and then listen with an open mind. give him or her the chance to re-earn your business and your trust.

OK -- Full disclosure -- I basically hang out at Harry's almost every weekday after work. Although it's supposed to be a restaurant, given the amount of space devoted to the bar, it's a bar. So if you want a pretty nice bar scene go to Harry's. If you want to eat at Harry's sit at the bar or in the bar area at one of the tables in front of the fireplace. The best deals there are the happy hour (4-6 pm) snacks at $3 a piece -- yes including a mini burger. The food there is, well, meh -- never been impressed with the steaks. Some of the seafood dishes and the mussels are good and worth the price. They also have decent po'boys. Because all or most of their waitstaff/managerial talent have now been deployed to the new Harry's endeavor out at Tysons -- the Essential Grill -- what you have left is pretty much the B team. The boys at the bar are still from the old crew and run a very decent bar operation, however except for the head bar tender, Larry, who left to go to Union Pub on Mass. Ave NE.

Edited by FunnyJohn

I haven't found a whole lot of places that serve mussels that can compete with their curry/coconut sauce and baked brie to match. Lovely little lunch time escape meal and not too pricey. Their steaks, ehh kinda normal. Service even at the bar can sometimes be spotty with quickness and attentiveness. Wonderful beer selection, a real power lunch place and happy hour is quite good. Don't go during the off hours and you'll have a wonderful meal.

I haven't found a whole lot of places that serve mussels that can compete with their curry/coconut sauce and baked brie to match. Lovely little lunch time escape meal and not too pricey. Their steaks, ehh kinda normal. Service even at the bar can sometimes be spotty with quickness and attentiveness. Wonderful beer selection, a real power lunch place and happy hour is quite good. Don't go during the off hours and you'll have a wonderful meal.

Have you been to Belga?

I have been to Harry's a few times, for lunches and dinner and never had a bad experience; in fact I would say the experiences have been very positive. Granted, it's been a while, but I was just talking with someone about going there when I return from a trip in mid-Sept, so if I go I'll post a review.

Just had a pleasant lunch with a companion last Thursday. I had the mussels, Belgian style (whatever that means, because I've had mussels in Brussels about a dozen different ways), and they were OK, not bad but not great. My companion had the Cuban sandwich, which looked pretty darned good. I have to tell you honestly, the most memorable part of the meal was the absolutely drop-dead-gorgeous waitress-in-training from Brazil, who will undoubtedly be "discovered" and swept off her feet by some rich guy or else become a supermodel.

The food at Harry's tap is mediocre, but the bread basket they serve at the start of the meal is delicious. For lunch, I would be happy to just eat a basket of their sweet mini corn muffins. For brunch, the scones and biscuits are also super tasty, and instead of preserves, they serve it with a fresh strawberry puree.

Although the menu hasn't changed since it opened and, truly, this restaurant has risen to new heights of mediocrity, I can't bear a grudge against it because I really like the tarragon chicken salad sandwich at lunch, the mini sweet corn muffins, and the sparkly lemonade. Plus, it's open for lunch, which instantly took Liberty Tavern and Restaurant 3 out of the running for a recent rendezvous.

I have always a been a fan of Harry's Tap Room in Clarendon. Maybe it is because I like the gyst of what they're trying to offer - thoughtfully sourced, simple prepared food in an unpretentioius neighborhood setting. Admittedly, the execution of their plan has been lacking at times but my wife and I have been semi-regular patrons since the place opened. I can honestly say we have never eaten a bad meal there. True, we have never eaten a great meal either but given the focus on local food and semi-healthy preparations, we have regularly given them our business.

Our last visit this past Sat, however, made me think that Harry's maybe isn't headed in the right direction. Service was uneven at best, my wife and daughter's food was served cold, my fries were omitted altogether, and the service staff exuded a vibe of discontent and disorganization. I have never mistaken this place for more than a neighborhood place so I never ask anything extraordinary of the bartenders - I just order from their decent beer list or a glass of wine - and I don't expect haute cuisine when the food comes out. But, I do expect food served at the right temperature, not a cold bowl of "pasta with soy sauce dumped on it" as my wife described her dinner. My turkey burger was pretty good, though the meat could use some serious zip and a more assertive garnish than the cranberry chutney it comes with (maybe chipotle barbecue sauce or something). The fries were the lone high point, I must admit. They make a nice, crunchy, salty french fry here. And, I know my kid is only 2 years old, but she deserves warm penne with her grilled chicken too and not what she was served. The bread basket is quite good, as several have previously noted. Salads were ok, I had the chopped salad and it was ok but the dressing was overapplied and too mustardy. My wife's house salad was fine, though now a smaller portion and also overdressed with viniagrette. Service overall was fairly poor. Lots of people running around but few of them helpful at all

Anyway, we'll be back for the reasons I cited in the beginning. And I can only hope that this was an anomaly and not a sign of deterioration at Harry's. The menu has changed, not sure if the chef has, but they need to tighten up execution here or people will avail themselves of the numerous high quality competitors of Harry's in the immediate vicinity. This place meets my criteria of places I would like to see succeed (local owners, local food, thoughtful menu) but I fear for its future given my recent experiences.

So, we ventured back to Harry's, despite our subpar visit last time around. Happily, we had a much better experience this time across the board.

Service was friendly and attentive. My summer salad - grape & cherry tomatoes, frisee, and goat cheese with a light vinaigrette- was quite nice and the tomatoes actually tasted like tomatoes are supposed to taste this time of year. My wife's house salad was much better than last time as well. I ordered the shrimp po'boy and my wife the turkey burger and we got a side of sauteed spinach as well. My po'boy was great. Maybe it was because it had been a while since I had eaten one, but I loved this sandwich. The bread wasn't too hard or crunchy to make it hard to eat and the shrimp were nicely fried and flavorful. My wife liked her turkey burger, as she generally does. Flavorful and moist are not attributes that generally come to mind when describing a turkey burger but Harry's version is just that. And their fries are really good too. Our 3 yr old had the grilled chicken with fries and fruit from the kid's menu. Nice to see kids' offerings beyond grilled cheese or previously frozen chicken tenders.

Good to see Harry's bouncing back. Not sure if we caught them on a bad night last time around but this visit has brought them back into our good graces again.

Went to Harry's Tap Room in Clarendon last night for our Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Brewer's Ball meeting. For a table of 15, on various split checks, the service was very good.

Beers were a bit pricey ($6 for a Sam Adams Summer) but I thought $22 for the twin filets wasn't a bad deal. The food, though, was rather meh. It was by no means bad, but not anything special. Maybe it was the cognac mustard sauce, but I found myself wondering why I ordered it when I usually only order steaks at Ray's just up the street.

The restaurant week menu looked interesting - my buddy had to get it because he loves bread pudding and it had chocolate chip version on it, though it was "too firm" in his opinion. He did seem to really enjoy his paella and soup.

The Harry's Lunch Break in Clarendon with 3 items for $12 really is a pretty good deal, even if the roasted red pepper soup completely overpowers the few bits of lump blue crab they toss in there. The portion sizes of the soup, salad, and 1/2 sandwich really are more than ample for lunch. The house salad with lemon vinaigrette dressing is really quite tasty and the sandwiches are more than serviceable.

I went with my wife and kids to Harry's for the first time in quite a while last night and was pleasantly surprised. We both ordered turkey burgers with veggies on the side and really liked our meals. I have long thought that Harry's did a nice job with their turkey burgers and was reminded of why last night. The burgers are tasty, well seasoned, pleasantly charred, and (believe it or not) actually moist. The bun is light and airy too. Turkey burgers are often done poorly but this is one of the better ones in the area. What impressed us even more was the veggies we ordered. My wife ordered roasted beets, which tasted vibrantly of beets. A touch of salt and they were perfect. My spinach sauteed with garlic was equally good. Nothing complicated - it tasted like fresh spinach, olive oil, and garlic which is all this it was supposed to taste like and all it needed to taste good. Finally, the green beans sauteed with (I think) ginger and soy sauce were done very nicely as well. The beans were cooked to retain some crunch, not mushy at all, and the seasonings didn't overwhelm the beans.

The thing that struck me about Harry's last night is that, they do a nice job in most things. They probably won't overwhelm anyone but most meals there are pretty solid. In another neighborhood, I think that they'd stand out as a top notch neighborhood restaurant but in Clarendon they have places like Liberty and Eventide setting a pretty high bar for neighborhood dining so places like Harry's get kinda lost in the shuffle.

We went to the Clarendon outpost tonight not expecting much but were pleasantly surprised. I had an all vegetarian meal starting with a Caesar salad that had very fresh romaine, lots of parmesan, and a light dressing. The vegan paella was a bit on the dry side but quite tasty with bulgur, chickpeas, English peas, capers, and scallions. It was an enormous portion, part of which I took home. I also ordered the vegetable sampler with honey glazed carrots, beets, and roasted mushrooms. Very nicely prepared and presented. My spouse had an entree consisting of three scallops, corn, and spinach. A bit skimpy but she liked it. We skipped dessert. The service was OK, nothing special. The room was about 1/4 full. We don't plan to return soon, but the place is worth another look.

So - Harry's Tap Room is closed. It plans on reopening, according to a sign in the window, on November 21st as the Market Tavern (if I remember correctly) with a "Chophouse" as part of it.

There is a little write up of the changes on the Harry's (soon to be defunct?) web site.

October 21, 2011

Dear Friends,

Our restaurant will be closed for renovation beginning October 31, 2011. We will re-open as Market Tavern on November 21. We apologize for the inconvenience but promise you a new, fresher version of what you have come to expect and enjoy from Harry’s. Market Tavern will offer two distinct areas for your enjoyment.

The Tavern on the first level will offer 26 artisan beers on tap, more than 50 wines by the glass, handmade cocktails, a cozy lounge and a lively bar with 5 high definition TV screens for all your favorite sporting events. Our menu in The Tavern will offer small plates, soups, salads, great burgers and sandwiches.

The Chophouse at Market Tavern upstairs will offer a contemporary take on the classic Chophouse. We’ll feature traditional steak and chop preparations like peppercorn brandy and béarnaise and some updated versions (Adobo rubbed with Salsa Creolio.) We will feature delicious, braised preparations served in casserole such as Daube of Lamb and Short Ribs of Beef. Of course, we’ll offer great seafood including a revisit of our very popular paella. And we will introduce the Gold Standard Burger, which we promise to be the very best, richest flavored burger in town!

We are proud of our run as Harry’s Tap Room and look forward to our new beginning as Market Tavern. Please check our website at either Harrystaproom.com or MTavern.com for updates and information. We look forward to serving you soon.

Warmly,

The Crew at Market Tavern

The SO and I tried Market Tavern for the first time last night. I never minded Harrys, but it was never on the top of my list, so I was enthusiastic to see what changes they had made.

I was disappointed to re-read this thread this morning to see the restaurant is split into two concepts (it was spur of the moment last night or I would have done some advanced research). What I was hoping for was what the Market Tavern team, in the thread above, describes as the downstairs concept - small plates, sandwiches, etc. We walked in not knowing this, simply requested 2 for dinner, and were ushered upstairs without this explanation. With that in mind, please keep in mind that these comments refer to the upstairs "chophouse" only and apply to a newly opened restaurant.

MTC (Market Tavern Chophouse) starts with something I hadn't seen before - a bread bar. We were a bit confused at first as the server's explanation wasn't clear, but there is a table on the side of the restaurant with 3-4 different types of breads, a vegetable mix, and olives for patrons to help themselves. The menu is set up with appetizers, salads (note: I didn't see what I would call an "entree" salad), standard proteins and seafood, the burger, and a few pasta/paella options.

We started with the fried green tomatoes, and I take full responsibility for what came - anytime you order fried green tomatoes in December you are asking for pre-made frozen product. I would question why a restaurant would even have those on the menu at this time of year, but I ordered them, so I guess that explains that. There were three thin slices of fried tomato, with wedges of goat cheese in between, on a corn/tomato relish and a cream sauce of some sort ($11). I was glad we split these, as this was a very rich dish.

We stuck to the left side of the menu for the rest of dinner - I got an unexciting mushroom soup and a chop salad that would have been nice were it not so overdressed. My +1 ordered a very pleasant salad of grilled asparagus spears, parmesan, green goddess dressing, and an over-easy egg on top. This was also overdressed, but the plating allowed the dressing to be discarded.

As this restaurant is so new, I'll hold off on commenting about the service as I'm sure they're still working on some issues.

Overall, it felt like a restaurant that wasn't ready for opening. From the signage outside that looked temporary, to communication issues with service (and the 2 menu concept) to the decor, nothing seemed quite... ready for prime time. It's hard not to compare MTC to Rays the 3rd. At Rays^3, I didn't find the spartan decor to be off-putting, as this seems to be what Rays is aiming for. At MTC, you get the sense they tried, but failed, to present a hip restaurant and instead it seems forced. The menus at the two restaurants are also very similar, with MTC coming in at about 5-10$ higher per entree. Unfortunately for MTC, the comparisons to R^3 are not kind in their favor.

Now that I know that downstairs is what it is, I may swing back by to see what they offer. There are more than 20 beers on tap, with a pretty large selection of wines with several glass size options. I'd just be hesitant to make the trek up the stairs.

So after wandering Courthouse/Clarendon for somewhere not packed tonight (why?) I ended up here and said "why the heck not".

Because I hadn't read the menu.

Ouch. Sticker shock. Their 'Gold Standard' burger (made with loin, short rib, and brisket, topped with bone marrow) is $19. I was at the bar, where you can also order from upstairs, but all the burgers (and I didn't want a burger) were $12+, the steak sandwich $18, and on the upper menu, the steak prices were just too much (seriously yo Ray's is right down the street, cheaper, comes with sides, and I know Ray's and how good it will be).

The service was nice and friendly. The ambiance...it's trying. Really hard. Not making it, but trying. Kind of feels like me when I'm around 20 somethings! Gah I'm so old and stuff.

The beer selection was decent - some good beers (I stuck with Green Flash West Coast IPA at $7 and Sixpoint Righteous Ale at $6) though they were out of rye for their Manhattans (they use Jim Beam Rye - they had Catoctin Creek Rye, but a shot of it cost more ($14) than the Manhattan did ($13)).

Food: I needed some, and I had wished I had cash so I could've bailed more easily. I will admit though that my at-first annoying fellow barflies ended up being quite cool folks.

Shrimp Tempura ($14) - with a trio of dipping sauces. Recommended on Foursquare by someone who does not have good taste. The sauces were fairly bland, except for a barbecue-style one (I think that's what it was? They weren't explained) but all in all I ate it because I paid $14 for five skewers of shrimp "tempura" (it looked like there were oats in the batter?) and I was starving.

B+B Dates ($13) - Maytag blue cheese stuffed bacon-wrapped dates in a rich sauce. Delicious (for four of them) - though I couldn't finish the skillet of them, they were too rich for me. But quite good.

The upstairs menu had a whole section of "casseroles" and chops that weren't on the downstairs menu. The downstairs menu did include additional forms of burgers. But at the prices - I don't see myself going back there for food. Beer, maybe. The wine list is supposed to have 70+ by the glass, if I read that right (and I might not have). I don't know wine, so I will probably just go to Ray's tomorrow and get someone's opinion I trust, rather than random bartender's suggestion.

(Not to belittle her - she was quite nice and honest. But Mark Slater has never done me wrong in terms of wine!)

They did have one appetizer I might try in the future - a sliced NY Strip with blue cheese fondue, served with crostini ($18). I wish I'd ordered that instead of the shrimp. :-( (On the other hand, I might have been getting desensitized to the prices.)

So after wandering Courthouse/Clarendon for somewhere not packed tonight (why?) I ended up here and said "why the heck not".

Because I hadn't read the menu.

Ouch. Sticker shock.

Yes indeed, this is an intimidatingly priced menu for the area, both upstairs and downstairs, mainly because there aren't any really good entry points. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, only that "sticker shock" is a pretty good term - their (relatively new) website is here. I came very close to going here on Tuesday evening, but all the salads and burgers just kept me away, and I didn't feel like a big production upstairs - I didn't know you could order the Chophouse menu in the Tavern.

(I'm coming soon, Michael, I promise.)

I didn't know you could order the Chophouse menu in the Tavern.

I was disappointed to re-read this thread this morning to see the restaurant is split into two concepts (it was spur of the moment last night or I would have done some advanced research). What I was hoping for was what the Market Tavern team, in the thread above, describes as the downstairs concept - small plates, sandwiches, etc. We walked in not knowing this, simply requested 2 for dinner, and were ushered upstairs without this explanation. With that in mind, please keep in mind that these comments refer to the upstairs "chophouse" only and apply to a newly opened restaurant.

Be it through signage, staff, all of the above, etc. it does seem like there is a lack of communication about the two floors, and what is offered at both, that is leading to some problems for customers (as I quote myself...). Hopefully they can rectify this soon

From the article:

“I’ve been doing this for a long time and I thought this was a terrific restaurant,” Sternberg said. “I liked the service, I liked the food, I liked the decor, and I don’t know why we didn’t catch on in this neighborhood. I spend my nights awake just wondering about it.”

Perhaps because it was way overpriced? I mean, drastically so?

It was ridiculously expensive.