Spring Picnic 2008 - May 18th

jparrott

THE PICNIC IS ON.....

A few people have asked that we move the date to June 1st...How does this date work for people???

Uhm... I'd prefer the May 18th date. I've rearranged several things on my calendar in anticipation of the May date. And, given that it is DC, the weather might be a tad bit more temperate in May.

Why does this concern me at 3:29 am?

With apologies to Ayn Rand: It does not matter that only a few will grasp and achieve the full realm of the DR.com picnic. It is those few that move the world and give life its meaning-and it is those few that I have always sought as company.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THE PICNIC IS ON.....

A few people have asked that we move the date to June 1st...How does this date work for people??? (The site is available that day)

How much pork products can people really consume???

Why does this concern me at 3:29 am?

Hm... just seeing this... and would love to meet some of the people on the Board... and would love if it weren't on the day my slacker +1 is finally finishing his non-ending graduate school days (ie he graduates May 18th and June 1 would be lovely). ;)

OFFICIAL PICNIC NEWS

Ok, Looks like the picnic is officially on MAY 18th. Golden Ticket and I are working out the details this week, and will post a more formal annoucement soon. We will be asking people to sign up, request everyone bring a dish, a dry good, a little cash and a beverage (easy to remember). Pretty much the same rules and guidelines as before. We will also update a FAQ and start to talk about special pig products...err I mean special events!

Does anybody know how (if at all) a "Cajun Microwave" differs from a Caja China? Googling about, some say they are identical, some say almost identical, but don't seem to say what's different about them.

For Caja China owners -- or Cajun Microwave owners -- can they be fitted with a smoker attachment? Because smoke is good, and smoked pork is awesome.

We have a New Braunfels offset smoker that could probably do a very small pig (25 lbs?) but we don't have a truck. No, wait, the kids will be home on summer break so we could, in theory, put it in the back of Ben's Toyota Tacoma.

Hmmmm. Yes. This might work.

Does anybody know how (if at all) a "Cajun Microwave" differs from a Caja China? Googling about, some say they are identical, some say almost identical, but don't seem to say what's different about them.

For Caja China owners -- or Cajun Microwave owners -- can they be fitted with a smoker attachment? Because smoke is good, and smoked pork is awesome.

Identical concept, but the materials and dimensions are probably different, so the timing and quantity of charcoal involved are probably different.

There is a smoker attachment available for a caja china. I don't have one for mine. Smoked pork is great, but so is roasted pork (well, when I get it right). Two different things, and one is not necessarily better than the other, unless you've grown up with one, in which case you'll have a preference.

With the picnic a little over a month away, it’s time for us all to start thinking about what goodies we’ll be bringing. The list of categories below gives a general idea of what is needed. We’ll be keeping a running list of what people will be bringing. The list will be updated regularly – if one or two categories are particularly full, please look at bringing something in a category that is light.

(I’m borrowing words here from others who already said it better than I could) You are all encouraged to bring something of quality - appropriate to eat and/or drink with the roasted and/or smoked pork that is on the menu (more details on that soon). To make sure there’s something for everyone that will also mean vegan and vegetarian offerings need to be part of the spread.

If you’re not into cooking, consider heading to your favorite food store, deli, liquor store, bakery or restaurant and sharing something utterly scrumptious from there. Just bring enough to share with a few folks. There is always a LOT of food; no need to double recipes or anything – a standard serves 4-6-sized preparation should do the trick.

In addition to your food contribution, please plan to bring either a beverage or paper product (plates, napkins, plastic utensils, cups, etc). Wine and beer are allowed at the picnic site, but non-alcoholic beverages will be welcome too. Cases of water, soda and drink boxes for the younger attendees are always appreciated.

There will also be a collection jar to defray the costs of the picnic site rental and the purchase of the pork (?) product to be prepared on the Caja China. Suggested contribution is $5/adult; $2-3 per child.

Please either post or PM me (goldenticket) with your planned food contribution and what kind of beverage or paper product you’ll be bringing.

If it is not obvious, let me know (1) under which of the following categories your food contribution will fit; (2) whether it is vegetarian or vegan and (3) if it includes any unusual items – ones that people might like to be aware of due to allergies or religious/dietary restrictions

General categories:

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Sides/Salads

Main course

1. meat/fish

2. vegetarian/vegan

Desserts/sweets

Beverages

Misc.

Also recommended: camp chairs, coolers, games (Frisbees, soccer balls, etc)

For information from previous picnics, see this thread

I will be coming and bringing my usual deviled eggs, hot sauce, cooler, FIRST AID KIT (with surgical kit), and some sort of healthy side dish. I will also be there early to help setup.

I am laughing out loud, Scott! Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the picnic (i'll be out of town), so it may not be necessary for you to bring the surgical kit! ;)

Lisa and I should be able to make it, depending on what is going on with our hockey teams. Unfortunately, we don't have our May schedule yet. I'll know better in, uh....May. I'll probably bring some homemade brisket and sausage with me.

Great to see the replies coming in - I hope we'll see some 'newbies' and picnic first-timers adding your names to the list.

It's always a nice time - and you can't complain about the food! There's always plenty of it and it's all good ;) We don't bite and it's nice to put faces with screen names.

If you need a ride, that can be arranged too. Just let me know and we'll see about getting carpools set up.

Looks like we need some more veggies....and a few more people to come along with those veggies....

If you rather not post on the thread, try to PM myself or Goldenticket

If I come- hopefully I'll be able to- I'll bring a veggie dish tbd (though not vegan). Also if it's not too much to ask, would contributors be able to label dishes that contain soy ingredients? ;)

Glad you are coming! I will bring another veggie tort if you do :). No problem labeling soy ingredients (Brett, you are being easy on us this year!) :(

If I come- hopefully I'll be able to- I'll bring a veggie dish tbd (though not vegan). Also if it's not too much to ask, would contributors be able to label dishes that contain soy ingredients? ;)

I might come and set up a my version of a taco bar. Still annoyed about the last picnic. Can anyone make tortillas on the fly? If so, maybe I'll do it. If ya'll like Dick confit tacos.
I can't believe no one's taken this one yet.

You know how I hate the low hanging fruit

I've been looking forward to this, my group will be 2 adults, 2 kids, & I can come early for setup (we're right around the corner), w/ 1 kid for grunt work-I can bring a canopy, portable tables &/or chairs, a grill,a cooler-just let me know what's needed. I haven't decided on food yet, but once I do, I'll post it...Linda

This is a pivotal dr.com event, at least in my eyes. I'm happy to pay for the picnic site for as long as 30 people want to come, but will we get 30?

What does everyone want me to do to make this a kick-assed, no-holds-barred success? we really need 50-100 people for this picnic to rock some ass. Read this thread on why the Spring Picnic may just be the last "officially sanctioned" event donrockwell.com has for the forseeable future ... or why it could also be the beginning of a beautiful renaissance, hopefully followed by a group trip to Chubby's Barbecue (maybe preceded by a little hiking?).

Whichever direction things take is entirely up to you guys; either is fine with me, and I will act accordingly - just know that my heart lies in us all staying together as a vibrant community.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I cannot be there--I really wanted to attend one more big DR.com event before the big move. Alas, my boyfriend and sister are graduating from law school that day--and I suppose I should be happy for them, grumble grumble.

I had such a good time at my first event (the Wagyu tasting), so I would encourage all "newbies" to consider attending the picnic and getting to know the fine folks who contribute to this wonderful community. I hope you all have fun!

Whichever direction things take is entirely up to you guys; either is fine with me, and I will act accordingly - just know that my heart lies in us all staying together as a vibrant community.
How about an events coordinator? Someone to get the ball rolling.

ETA: I'll be there with corn bread and biscuits, and homemade pickles.

perhaps unbeknownst when we scheduled this months ago, the May 18th weekend is one of the big area graduation weekends...and with several friends graduating from various programs...I will be a definite maybe... ;)
Maybe the coordinators should consider picking a new date? As I recall, June was problematic for a lot of people too.

This is a pivotal dr.com event, at least in my eyes. I'm happy to pay for the picnic site for as long as 30 people want to come, but will we get 30?

Don, I'm surprised to read of your concern on this issue. I've been to two such events and they've been well attended (and entertainingly raucous). I make more of my specialty deviled eggs each time and they always get scarfed down quickly by marauding hordes. What makes you think that attendance will be paltry this time? How many have signed up so far? My guess is that people will again respond positively to the propspect of unusual, plentiful food and the pleasant camaraderie. I anticipate seeing you and other dr.com acquaintances there.

Don, what are you bringing?

<br />Don, I'm surprised to read of your concern on this issue. I've been to two such events and they've been well attended (and entertainingly raucous). I make more of my specialty deviled eggs each time and they always get scarfed down quickly by marauding hordes. What makes you think that attendance will be paltry this time? How many have signed up so far? My guess is that people will again respond positively to the propspect of unusual, plentiful food and the pleasant camaraderie. I anticipate seeing you and other dr.com acquaintances there.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The donrockwell.com membership card: Dining just got less expensive.

At one point, I had considered concocting up a batch of donrockwell.com-logoed check presenters through one of those free AmEx small business programs, so I could subversively substitute them for the "normal" presenters at various fine establishments. Heheh.

Of course I would never actually implement such a thing!

I will be at the picnic again, and looking forward to another raucous time with so many fellow foodies.