Spring Picnic 2008 - May 18th

jparrott

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like I'll be in town so I will be able to attend. I am not sure what I will bring BUT I will gladly shuttle folk from DC to the site. PM me if you would like a ride.

Looking forward to seeing everybody and eating yummy yummy food. Must remember to have cholesterol checked before the event, not after.

The tally so far: 50

("maybe" are italicized)

agm (+1)

Al Dente

booklubingbabe + BLBaby

brettashley01

cucas87

DanielK (+3)

Ferhat Yalcin (+1)

ferment everything

goldernticket

Heather (+3)

Ilaine (+3)

jparrott

lackadaisi (+1)

legant (+5)

LuvTeddyBears8 (+1)

MBK

MelGold

NCPinDC

Nutty Buddy

ol_ironstomach

Pat

Scott Johnston

squidsdc

StephenB

synaesthesia

thistle (+3)

Tweaked

Walrus + Tripewriter

xcanuck (+1)

PM or post any changes/corrections and I'll update.

Edited by legant

DRY GOODS

I have 50+ plates, tons of red costco cups, a couple of rolls of papertowels, trash bags, large handfuls of starbucks napkins, some plasticwear.

WE NEED

More plasticwear, more trash bags, table cloths, bowls, small plates, serving utentials, plastic wrap and plastic bags for leftovers. Salt and pepper.

I'm actually +3 (don't want to throw the count off), I will arrive early (when's a good time?) w/ my son, to help w/ setup. I'll be bringing backup paper towels, garbage bags, 5 tablecloths, cooler w/ beer & childrens beverages, food of some sort (still undetermined).

What else would be good?-popup canopy, folding tables? I do have a CampChef Big Gas Grill, but I have to confess I haven't used it yet-if anyone wants to be a guinea pig, I'll bring it along, it's quite portable...Linda

Here's a quick grouping of what people have said they are bringing. Looks like we need appetizers, veggie dishes, desserts, and sides. If I missed something or you've changed your mind, PM me and I'll update the list. If you haven't been to a DR.com event before, the picnic is a great way to meet a lot of people in one place - as well as to enjoy a lot of great food!

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Al Dente – Wings(?)

Scott Johnston – deviled eggs

StephenB – deviled eggs

Sides/Salads

cucas87 – Mojito Salad, Thai Beef Salad

Gubeen - Gravlax

Heather (+3) – Pickles, cornbread, lemonade

legant (+5) – baked beans

LuvTeddyBears8 (+1) – Chinese noodle dish

Pat (+1) - potato salad, bread

synaesthesia- japchae

Main course

1. meat/fish

agm + NotQuickDraw – Pork

Ilaine (+3) – piglet

jparrott – ham(?)

Walrus + Tripewriter – Cincinnati turkey chili

xcanuck (+1) – homemade brisket and sausage

2. vegetarian/vegan

brettashley01 – Veggie dish

Scott Johnston – Vegan veggie torte

Desserts/sweets

Beverages

Water – Tripewriter

Non-Alcoholic- Thistle, DanielK, Jparrott, Legant, Heather

Wine/Beer – Jparrott, fermenteverything, thistle, ScottJohnston

Misc.

Attending (maybes are italicized) but haven't decided what to bring

Antonio Burrell (+3)

bookluvingbabe + BLBaby

DanielK (+3) -

Ferhat Yalcin (+1)

ferment everything

goldenticket

lackadaisi + Jlock (+4)

MBK

MelGold

NCPinDC

Nutty Buddy + JPW + Peanut

ol_ironstomach

squidsdc

thistle (+4)

Tweaked

For the nth picnic in a row, Cellar Cull Share is on. Please bring one or more bottles of fascinating, intriguing, exciting, or off-the-wall juice. We'll have a table set up. Once the wine is on the table, anyone with a corkscrew and a cup can open it. Mr. JPW and I will be performing our usual husbandry, mainly involving sniffing suspect bottles and killing crabgrass with corked bottles.

Some plaintive entreaties guidelines:

1. This is in addition to other contributions to the picnic. Like, say, water. Water. WATER. WATER.

2. If you bring the chili wine or some other tourist-trappy silliness, try to also bring something with a higher probability of success.

3. Have fun with this. Introduce people to wines you know. Ask questions about wines you don't. And carefully conceal your wines that are made by boiling beer or other alcoholic goodness and taking the vapor.

It sounds like this is starting to shape up as a great event. I'd love to come but unfortunately that is the day I'll be arriving in Iraq for 6 months of fun in the sun and sand. Next time we decide to invade a country I vote that it be one where you can eat pork and drink wine.

I'll jump off the fence and say I'll be coming +1. Still subject to change, but I think I'll be able to do it.

I can bring potato salad and bread. We've also got paper plates we can bring (about 50) and plastic spoons and knives (about 25 each).

It sounds like this is starting to shape up as a great event. I'd love to come but unfortunately that is the day I'll be arriving in Iraq for 6 months of fun in the sun and sand. Next time we decide to invade a country I vote that it be one where you can eat pork and drink wine.

It sounds like you'll be back just in time for the Fall event. No leftover MRE's, please. And bear in mind both definitions of "duck."

Italy? ;)

on a serious note, thanks for your service.

I would like to attend. I will be bringing jelly fish salad in mustard sauce and my family. That is at total of 2 adults (me & wife) and 2 kids.

We can bring forks, plates and cups if you still need them. So let me know if I need to bring them.

Soup

I think I'll be whipping up a fritatta or two (I don't know how I could possibly make one big fritatta for everyone given my cookware). Will thus be veggie- not vegan. And probably a "trite" combo of ingredients- but I really love roasted peppers with goat cheese and herbes de provence!

ETA: I know myself and others with allergies would really appreciate if you note what oils you used in your cooking, since "vegetable" oil can turn out to be olive, canola, soybean or a combo- or if you used shortening, margarine, mayonnaise; or if you used any nuts, or any the top allergens that others have noted before. Otherwise I hope you won't mind me asking you about every ingredient in your dish ;) Thank you again- and I truly appreciate your consideration!

Al Dente – Wings(?)

StephenB – deviled eggs

Sides/Salads

Gubeen - Gravlax

synaesthesia- japchae

Soup (+3) - jellyfish salad in mustard sauce

thistle (+4) - rice and/or bean salad

Main course

1. meat/fish

Bbq4me - Taco Bar

Ilaine (+3) – piglet

jparrott – ham(?)

2. vegetarian/vegan

brettashley01 – Vegetarian frittata

Desserts/sweets

NCPinDC - fruit, brownies, maybe cupcakes

Beverages

Water – Tripewriter

Non-Alcoholic- Thistle, DanielK, Jparrott, Legant, Heather

Misc.

Antonio Burrell (+3)

bookluvingbabe + BLBaby

DanielK (+3) -

Ferhat Yalcin (+1)

ferment everything

goldenticket

holdtheline (+1)

lackadaisi + Jlock (+4)

MBK

MelGold

ol_ironstomach

squidsdc

Tweaked

Woo-hoo, picnic's only 2 weeks away! After attending a Girl Scout Encampment this weekend (I was taking notes), I'll be bringing a big Coleman cooler for water, backup supplies (sharpie, duct tape, knife, zip ties, first aid kit, bug repellent, sunscreen, valium (just kidding). For food, I will bring a rice &/or bean salad & I'm not commiting to this, but I'm breaking in my grill this week, so maybe grilled Island-style chicken-this is going to be fun, looking forward to seeing everyone!

VERY tentative yes were I able to find transportation and way to engage in festivities (even prep) for a shortish period of time. Please PM if plans of someone from DC coincide.

I'd bring tomato soup cake or something less Connecticut circa 1965 in the dessert family.

I know myself and others with allergies would really appreciate if you note what oils you used in your cooking, since "vegetable" oil can turn out to be olive, canola, soybean or a combo- or if you used shortening, margarine, mayonnaise; or if you used any nuts, or any the top allergens that others have noted before.

Cincinnati-style Turkey Chili

This item will be manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, and wheat, by someone often mistaken for a pickled pig.

I know myself and others with allergies would really appreciate if you note what oils you used in your cooking, since "vegetable" oil can turn out to be olive, canola, soybean or a combo- or if you used shortening, margarine, mayonnaise; or if you used any nuts, or any the top allergens that others have noted before. Otherwise I hope you won't mind me asking you about every ingredient in your dish ;) Thank you again- and I truly appreciate your consideration!

In the past people volunteered to make signs for the different dishes and indicated important ingredient information. Perhaps someone would be willing to do so this year?

In the past people volunteered to make signs for the different dishes and indicated important ingredient information. Perhaps someone would be willing to do so this year?
How about if blank labels are provided to be written up as dishes arrive ;)

(I'd be happy to provide the blank labels and some Sharpies)

Update on picnic supplies....

Plates - Pat, Soup, Scott Johnston

Plastic Forks - Heather (500)

Plastic Spoons - Pat (25), DanielK

Plastic Knives - Pat (25), DanielK

Paper Towels/Napkins - Thistle, Scott Johnston

Cups - DanielK, Soup, Scott Johnston

Coolers - Scott Johnston, Thistle

Garbage Bags - Scott Johnston, Thistle

Table cloths - thistle

Soccer Equipment - DanielK

Nametags and labels for food - goldenticket

Looks like we can still use plastic knives and spoons, among other things. It's a good idea to bring serving utensils for whatever you bring.

Disposable containers (like Gladware) always come in handy for taking leftovers home - and there are usually leftovers ;)

It looks like this isn't going to work out for us after all. I was hoping the timing would be better, but I now have a clerkship reunion brunch at 11:30 and a meeting in Kansas City on Monday morning. If it were just us, I would still try to squeeze it in (not far from National and all), but with the baby and the in-laws, I'm thinking I will have to skip this one. Have fun everyone!

(This is truly very sad for me, and I can't wait until the Fall picnic.)

Just in case you're undecided about attending: ol_ironstomach asked:

Think a springform mold will work as an egg ring for the emu egg experiment?

Now, if the answer to that question does not pique your curiosity...

[bTW: Rodman's has a set of 3 springform pans, 7-, 9-, and 11-inch, on sale for $11.99.]

I have plenty of plastic spoons and knives.
Good. I was figuring other people would be bringing some, since 25 of each won't go too far ;) . I was going to bring along what we had that's just taking up space, but figured I could buy some just for the picnic if there aren't enough. Sounds like that won't be necessary, though.

Al Dente – Wings(?)

StephenB – deviled eggs

Sides/Salads

Gubeen - Gravlax

synaesthesia- japchae

Hexerei (+1) - rolls

Main course

1. meat/fish

Bbq4me - Taco Bar

Ilaine (+3) – piglet

jparrott – ham(?)

2. vegetarian/vegan

Desserts/sweets

nashman1975 (+1) - fudgeful peanut butter bars

Beverages

Water – Tripewriter

Non-Alcoholic- Thistle, DanielK, Jparrott, Legant, Heather, Hexerei

Misc.

Antonio Burrell (+3)

bookluvingbabe + BLBaby

DanielK (+3) -

Ferhat Yalcin (+1)

ferment everything

goldenticket

holdtheline (+1)

MBK

MelGold

ol_ironstomach

squidsdc

Tweaked

VERY tentative yes were I able to find transportation and way to engage in festivities (even prep) for a shortish period of time. Please PM if plans of someone from DC coincide.

I'd bring tomato soup cake or something less Connecticut circa 1965 in the dessert family.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I hope you all have a fabulous day!!!

I'd really like to attend, but I'm helping to organize our condo complex's block party the day before, so I might be wiped out.

If I do I'll bring wings.

(Now I need to go back and re-read this whole thread again to confirm the policies on beverages for the park and transportation - am I right in assuming it's not Metro-able?)

I'd really like to attend, but I'm helping to organize our condo complex's block party the day before, so I might be wiped out.

If I do I'll bring wings.

(Now I need to go back and re-read this whole thread again to confirm the policies on beverages for the park and transportation - am I right in assuming it's not Metro-able?)

Wine and beer are allowed at the park...creative packaging required for other elixirs ;) . No, unfortunately, the park isn't Metro accessible, but if you need a ride, post here or PM Scott Johnston and we'll see if can get you hooked up with someone coming from your area.

If you're down as a maybe and are ready to commit, shoot me a PM with what you plan to bring and I'll move you to the appropriate category. Looks like appetizers, vegetarian dishes, and desserts could use some additional contributions.

Al Dente – Wings(?)

Gubeen - Gravlax

StephenB – deviled eggs

Sides/Salads

synaesthesia- japchae

Hexerei (+1) - rolls

Main course

1. meat/fish

agm + NotQuickDraw (+1) – Pig

Bbq4me - Taco Bar

Ilaine (+3) – piglet

jparrott - ham ;)

2. vegetarian/vegan

nashman1975 - sweet potato salad

Desserts/sweets

goodeats (+2) - chocolate chip cookies and apple pie

nashman1975 (+1) - fudgeful peanut butter bars and caramel brownies

Walrus - cupcakes

Beverages

Water – Tripewriter, Jparrott

Non-Alcoholic- Thistle, DanielK, Jparrott, Legant, Heather, Hexerei

All who wish to contribute to the Cellar Share - bring something nice/interesting to share!

Misc.

Antonio Burrell (+3)

bookluvingbabe + BLBaby

DanielK (+3) -

Ferhat Yalcin (+1)

ferment everything

goldenticket

holdtheline (+1)

MBK

MelGold

ol_ironstomach

SeanMike (wings)

squidsdc

Tweaked

I'm in, +3. Will bring spring rolls (shrimp, chicken) and a dessert (type subject to mood, nods to Legant). If anyone remembers the rosemary fizz concoction I brought last year and would like to see another cameo appearance, let me know.