jparrott

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DIRECTIONS FOR PICNIC

On Site Phone: Scott Johnston 703.282.0819 (cell)

From Downtown Washington, DC:

Take 14th Street Bridge south towards Virginia). Take Exit for Mt. Vernon/National Airport; continue past National Airport, through Old Town Alexandria; Fort Hunt Park is 5 miles south of Old Town Alexandria; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

Beltway from Maryland to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take very first exit after Wilson Bridge (Mt. Vernon Highway); this will put you on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

NOTE: George Washington Memorial Parkway, Mt. Vernon Highway, and Washington Street, are all the same road depending on where you are at the moment.

Beltway from Virginia to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take Exit 1 North; go to the first traffic light and take a right on Franklin Street; go about 3 blocks and take a right on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

I suspected the timing would not work out, and it hasn't. A family member is moving, and just let us know last night that the truck is set for Sunday. (Darn! I was hoping for Saturday) So, count me out. (Thanks for the PM goldenticket--I just had been too busy this morning to log on to post)

Have fun y'all!

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Al Dente – Wings(?)

Gubeen - Gravlax

Scott Johnston – deviled eggs

SeanMike - wings

Sparkycom (+3) - Spring Rolls (chicken, shrimp)

StephenB – deviled eggs

Sides/Salads

Antonio Burrell (+3) - pork pate

cucas87 – Mojito Salad, Thai Beef Salad

Heather – Pickles, cornbread, lemonade

legant (+5) – baked beans

LuvTeddyBears8 (+1) – Chinese noodle dish

Pat (+1) - potato salad, bread

Soup (+3) - jellyfish salad in mustard sauce

thistle (+4) - rice and/or bean salad

Hexerei (+1) - rolls

Main course

1. meat/fish

Antonio Burrell (+3) - Fried Chicken

agm + NotQuickDraw (+1) – Pig

Bbq4me - Taco Bar

Fermenteverything (+1) - 3 lbs. home cured bacon

Ilaine (+3) – piglet

jparrott - ham ;)

Walrus + Tripewriter – Cincinnati turkey chili

2. vegetarian/vegan

brettashley01 – Vegetarian frittata

Scott Johnston – Vegan veggie torte

ol_ironstomach - Ostrich Egg...something :)

nashman1975 - sweet potato salad

Desserts/sweets

bookluvingbabe + BLBaby - fruity dessert

goodeats (+2) - chocolate chip cookies and apple pie

MelGold - (The famous) Mango Mold

NCPinDC - fruit, brownies, maybe cupcakes

nashman1975 (+1) - fudgeful peanut butter bars and caramel brownie

Sparkycom- TBD

Walrus - cupcakes

Beverages

Water – Tripewriter, Jparrott, ol_ironstomach, ScottJohnston

Non-Alcoholic- Thistle, DanielK, Jparrott, Legant, Heather, Hexerei

Wine/Beer – Jparrott, fermenteverything, thistle, ScottJohnston, Fermenteverything, JPW/Nutty Buddy

Misc. - Rosemary Fizz - Sparkycom

All who wish to contribute to the Cellar Share - bring something nice/interesting to share!

Misc. thistle - Campchef stove

ol_ironstomach - camp stove and griddle

Attending (maybes are italicized) but haven't decided what to bring

DanielK (+3)

Ferhat Yalcin (+1)

goldenticket (+1)

MBK

Nutty Buddy + JPW + Peanut

I'm still on the hook for my wings, but I'm looking into gettin' a big hunk o' PORK BELLY instead. Will someone have a grill I could use?

And how much should I bring?

The amount of pork belly at this picnic will be incredible. Maybe I'll only bring half my batch.

Along w/ other stuff (beverages, food, hard goods), I'll be packing the 10 gallon water cooler & the Campchef stove for folks that want to cook onsite-it has 3 30K burners, a grill box that covers 2 burners & I can bring a cast iron skillet for the 3rd burner.

Very much OT, but I had the BEST mother's day lunch yesterday at Thai Herbs (Richmond Hwy.)-it was a buffet & I had pad thai, larb (multiple portions!), seafood curry, spring rolls, rice, salmon, thai grilled chicken & the most amazing key lime cheesecake-I really shouldn't be hungry again until Sunday...

Ooops, I didn't notice you were on pork belly patrol. I'll do something else or revert to wingage.

I didn't mean to say that as a deterrent. I think a "belly-off" is a wonderful idea (as long as we're only talking about the pork ones)

I'm in +1 and bringing 3 pounds of home-cured bacon and some random big bottles of beer. Anybody bringing a cooking apparatus that I can use to cook the bacon with (grill/griddle)?

Rest assured, as Scott indicated earlier, I will be bringing the Griddle of Doom again.

On a related note, last week Costco (Frederick) was selling a combo pack of the larger, heavier Camp Chef *3* burner stove and what I believe was the identical griddle, for a very reasonable price. Dwarfs my portable 2-burner unit, that's for sure.

Weather and baby permitting, the mister and I are planning to attend. Quick question - is public transportation an option, or do we just need to chuck it and get a ZipCar?
Unfortunately, the park isn't really accessible by public transportation. You could Metro to Huntington or King St. and cab from there.

This is a good place to mention that if you are driving and have spots in your car, please post here or PM Scott Johnston so we can arrange carpools for those who might need a ride.

Just a reminder that it's not too late to join in the fun!

The weather looks promising, there will be plenty of food, drink, and good times.

If you've been on the fence about coming to the picnic, now's the time to take the plunge! I hope to add some more names to the list in the next few days.

Uhm... I don't quite remember any Rosemary Fizz. ;) Is that reason enough for it to make a repeat appearance.

If anyone remembers the rosemary fizz concoction I brought last year and would like to see another cameo appearance, let me know.

I have room for 2 in my car, if they don't mind sitting next to the car seat. I'm in Arlington, and can give a ride to pick up someone living nearby, or whomever is willing to metro to EFC (orange line).

Also, I'll be bringing my KidPod if a baby/toddler needs a place to nap.

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Al Dente – Wings(?)

Goldenticket (+1) - Assorted dips, veggies, etc.

Gubeen - Gravlax

Scott Johnston – deviled eggs

SeanMike - wings

Sparkycom (+3) - Spring Rolls (chicken, shrimp)

StephenB – deviled eggs

Sides/Salads

Antonio Burrell (+3) - pork pate

cucas87 – Mojito Salad, Thai Beef Salad

Goldenticket - Cole slaw, some sort of Grain (Quinoa, Wheatberrry) or Pasta salad

Heather – Pickles, cornbread, lemonade

legant (+5) – baked beans

LuvTeddyBears8 (+1) – Chinese noodle dish

Pat (+1) - potato salad, bread

SeanMike - Asparagus

Soup (+3) - jellyfish salad in mustard sauce

thistle (+4) - rice and/or bean salad

Hexerei (+1) - rolls

Main course

1. meat/fish

Antonio Burrell (+3) - Fried Chicken

agm + NotQuickDraw (+1) – Pig

Bbq4me - Taco Bar

Fermenteverything (+1) - 3 lbs. home cured bacon

Ilaine (+3) – piglet

jparrott - ham ;)

Walrus + Tripewriter – Cincinnati turkey chili

2. vegetarian/vegan

brettashley01 – Vegetarian frittata

Scott Johnston – Vegan veggie torte

ol_ironstomach - Ostrich Egg...something :)

nashman1975 - sweet potato salad

Desserts/sweets

bookluvingbabe + BLBaby - fruity dessert

goodeats (+2) - chocolate chip cookies and apple pie

MelGold - (The famous) Mango Mold

NCPinDC - fruit, brownies, maybe cupcakes

nashman1975 (+1) - fudgeful peanut butter bars and caramel brownie

Sparkycom- TBD

Walrus - cupcakes

Beverages

Water – Tripewriter, Jparrott, ol_ironstomach, ScottJohnston

Non-Alcoholic- Thistle, DanielK, Jparrott, Legant, Heather, Hexerei

Wine/Beer – Jparrott, fermenteverything, thistle, ScottJohnston, Fermenteverything, JPW/Nutty Buddy

Misc. - Rosemary Fizz - Sparkycom

All who wish to contribute to the Cellar Share - bring something nice/interesting to share!

Misc. thistle - Campchef stove

ol_ironstomach - camp stove and griddle

Attending (maybes are italicized) but haven't decided what to bring

DanielK (+3)

Ferhat Yalcin (+1)

MBK

Nutty Buddy + JPW + Peanut

For the nth picnic in a row, Cellar Cull Share is on. Please bring one or more bottles of fascinating, intriguing, exciting, or off-the-wall juice. We'll have a table set up. Once the wine is on the table, anyone with a corkscrew and a cup can open it. Mr. JPW and I will be performing our usual husbandry, mainly involving sniffing suspect bottles and killing crabgrass with corked bottles.

Some plaintive entreaties guidelines:

1. This is in addition to other contributions to the picnic. Like, say, water. Water. WATER. WATER.

2. If you bring the chili wine or some other tourist-trappy silliness, try to also bring something with a higher probability of success.

3. Have fun with this. Introduce people to wines you know. Ask questions about wines you don't. And carefully conceal your wines that are made by boiling beer or other alcoholic goodness and taking the vapor.

A note about beverages: Please bring something to drink. As has been noted (several times) water is always needed. You are also encouraged to bring beer or wine to share, in addition to your other contributions. There will be coolers available with ice to chill beverages. Don't bring swill for the Cellar Share ;) - if you don't want to drink it, probably nobody else does either.

It begins at noon. I think this is somewhere in the thread, but not real obvious.

Thanks for bringing it up. Setup will get started around 10-10:30 am, if anyone is interested in showing up early.

and here are the directions:

This picnic site is about half-way around the loop drive that you follow through the park.

On Site Phone: Scott Johnston 703.282.0819 (cell)

From Downtown Washington, DC:

Take 14th Street Bridge south towards Virginia). Take Exit for Mt. Vernon/National Airport; continue past National Airport, through Old Town Alexandria; Fort Hunt Park is 5 miles south of Old Town Alexandria; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

Beltway from Maryland to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take very first exit after Wilson Bridge (Mt. Vernon Highway); this will put you on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

NOTE: George Washington Memorial Parkway, Mt. Vernon Highway, and Washington Street, are all the same road depending on where you are at the moment.

Beltway from Virginia to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take Exit 1 North; go to the first traffic light and take a right on Franklin Street; go about 3 blocks and take a right on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

This would be the perfect opportunity to repeat the Do's and Don'ts from previous picnics for the benefit of anyone thinking of coming to our six picnic who may not be sure what it is all about: Cucas87 put together an additional FAQ for the last picnic which is worth taking a look at as well. (Credit for most of this post goes to picnic queen Crackers, for whom all picnic goodness is derived)

DO come to the picnic even if you don't cook. Goodies picked up from your favorite bakery/cheese shop/restaurant/wine shop are perfectly fine. An appetite for delicious food and drink is all that is required.

DON'T think you have to make something fancy if you are cooking. Keep in mind that your dish may need to sit out at room temperature for at least an hour or two and that it will be eaten in a picnic setting.

DO consider other non-food options if you don't want to cook anything. One member brought a soccer set to the last picnic and it was a big hit with the kids. Beverages (adult and otherwise) are also greatly appreciated.

DON'T make tons and tons of food. Ten to twelve servings is plenty. Really. There will be a lot of fabulous food to taste and most everyone will only want a bite or two of any one item.

DO try to remember to bring appropriate prep and serving utensils for whatever food you bring.

DON'T feel you need to present your food in your best crystal, silver and/or china. In fact, if you don't plan on staying all afternoon, disposable serving containers are preferable.

DO put your name on any items you are concerned might get lost or left behind (a piece of masking tape with your name written on it with waterproof ink works great for this).

DON'T even think about not showing up just because you are running late. Come anyway. I suspect we'll be there until they kick us out of the park.

DO bring your families. Children of all ages are very welcome.

DON'T bring your pets. We have hearty appetites and hot grills and we'd hate to make a drunken mistake.

DO come even if your dog ate your lovingly prepared dish in a fit of vengeance because it could not attend the picnic and you have to make a last minute change to what you said you'd be bringing.

DON'T eat a large breakfast beforehand. Once again, there will be a lot of food.

DO refrain from posting any photographs or videos from the picnic on the internet that include a person's face, unless that person has given you permission to post it. This is a private event and we value and respect everybody's privacy.

DON'T worry, be happy!

Donations: Don was kind enough to front the $160 fee for the picnic site rental. Once again we are asking for voluntary donations to spread the cost among all of us who will be enjoying ourselves. The donation jar will be at the sign-in table.

Timing: Some people who can't stay the whole time have asked when prime "eating time" is going to be. The food will go out on the tables starting before noon, and reinforcements will arrive all afternoon.

We have yet to come close to running out of food. Unfortunately, once again it doesn't look like there will be any jello molds or even anything containing Miracle Whip (and we have the nerve to call this a picnic ). I hope people aren't so disappointed by this that they decide not to come.

Equipment: There are no grills at the picnic site. If you have something to grill, bring whatever you need to do that. There is also no running water, except in the nearby bathrooms. I'd suggest bringing a water bottle or two for yourself. Coolers and ice have come in handy if you have those to spare. Folding chairs are always a good idea. There will be picnic tables set up under the pavillion, but if you want to eat under the trees, there are bark chip/pine needles around the site, and not all that much grass. Playpens and strollers are also a good idea if those work for you. Cameras are fine too - just no face shots on the internet without permission. Sunscreen, insect repellant and aspirin are always in style. I have hand disinfectant left from the last picnic that I will bring, and a basic first aid kit.

If you are planning to be there to help set-up or clean up, please shoot me a PM so I'll know how many strong backs we will have to move tables and stuff.

(Credit for most of this post goes to picnic queen Crackers, for whom all picnic goodness is derived)
And let's not forget the other picnic royalty - Mktye and Hillvalley- whose past picnic efforts make current planning, well... a picnic! :lol:
We have yet to come close to running out of food. Unfortunately, once again it doesn't look like there will be any jello molds or even anything containing Miracle Whip (and we have the nerve to call this a picnic ).
Not true, not true - MelGold is reprising her famous Mango Mold!

Newbie here! Will be the +1 tagging along with Loretta Chi. I'll be bringing along a few bottles of vino to complement the abundance pork products that are planned.

I was wondering if anyone would have GRILL space for some fresh, marinated Chorizo. Would need to know by this evening. The sausages would need to marinade at least 24 hours.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Karen

WELCOME WELCOME

I am sure we can use the griddle if not someone's grill!

Scott

Newbie here! Will be the +1 tagging along with Loretta Chi. I'll be bringing along a few bottles of vino to complement the abundance pork products that are planned.

I was wondering if anyone would have GRILL space for some fresh, marinated Chorizo. Would need to know by this evening. The sausages would need to marinade at least 24 hours.

Karen

Karen

We have a Weber kettle grill we can bring, but weren't planning on using it so there is the issue of charcoal, tongs, etc.

We are dithering over whether to cook our piglet on a New Braunfels offset smoker -- which would not be a good solution for chorizo, in my opinion -- or roasting it at home, due to predictions of rain, not to mention logistical timing. The park opens at 7:00 a.m., at 300-350 degrees, I am still trying to work out the estimates but the pig will take at least six hours to cook in optimum conditions and cold rainy weather is not optimum.

I'll be packing the Campchef stove for folks that want to cook onsite-it has 3 30K burners, a grill box that covers 2 burners & I can bring a cast iron skillet for the 3rd burner.
Rest assured, as Scott indicated earlier, I will be bringing the Griddle of Doom again.
I think we've got the grill/cooking apparatus for chorizo covered. Sounds great Karen - look forward to seeing you at the picnic!

Nope I have Bread and Butter pickles. (Does this mean we have to compete on eggs and pickles?, I am not sure if I can stand the stress!)

Scott, you and I seem to be on the same tracks. I have a gallon of Kosher pickles that I planned to bring. I should have mentioned them earlier. Are they now redundant?

Okay... after a good soaking... overnight... it's time to start baking those beans.

In addition to the baked beans, my crew will be bringing: water, a vegetarian side, and 2 desserts (1 will probably be gluten free).

I want to give a shout-out to those... mainstays at past picnics... who are unable to make it this time around. Without embarrassing or neglecting anyone in particular I will say: you... and your contribution(s)... will be sorely missed.

And, to those newbies or fence-sitters: ... well; there is nothing I can add to entice you to attend that hasn't been mentioned upthread. The food is wonderful, the people are fantastic if a bit distracted (True Story: At my first DR.com picnic/event a certain Rockwellian came up to introduce herself and welcome me. I admit: I offered only a cursory, returned greeting. She later said, as we dished the dirt, she completely understood: there are certain, non-negotiable priorities at a DR.com picnic. And, StephenB's and ScottJohnston's deviled eggs are in the top three. Pork products round out the list. She would be around a lot longer than any of the food offerings. So: don't be offended if someone asks whacha got there before they ask your name.) and a good time will be had by all.

I'm bringing roasted asparagus in a vinaigrette based on what I find at market tomorrow. I consider aspraragus one of the best picinc finger foods there is at this time of year.

I thought about trying to bring a version of these but I am worried they won't travel well. Thoughts?