Hot Dogs

Soup

I love hotdogs. My favorites are natural casing dogs by hebrew national, nathans, thumans, shofar, etc. Has anyone found a place that sells good natural casing dogs in NOVA area?

I once found Usingers being sold at TJs but have never seen it again. Pretty good dogs can be had at the deli counter at wegman's but I refuse to pay $6 per pound for a hotdog.

Second question is why so many skinless dogs by nathans and hebrew national at local groceries but you cannot find the natural casing version?

I love hotdogs. My favorites are natural casing dogs by hebrew national, nathans, thumans, shofar, etc. Has anyone found a place that sells good natural casing dogs in NOVA area?

I once found Usingers being sold at TJs but have never seen it again. Pretty good dogs can be had at the deli counter at wegman's but I refuse to pay $6 per pound for a hotdog.

Second question is why so many skinless dogs by nathans and hebrew national at local groceries but you cannot find the natural casing version?

Alas, it's not NOVA, but Wagshal's (the meat market, not the deli) in the Spring Valley shopping center on Mass Avenue in the District has excellent all-beef hotdogs. Good spice and texture.

Three goodies:

1. Applegate Farms at Trader Joe's is reliably tasty and available all year round.

2. Polyface Farms (at Courthouse farmers market Saturday and Dupont Sunday) produces hot dogs seasonally - but dear God, they are the best, juiciest, loveliest things you have EVER had.

3. Springfield Butcher sells Coney Island Reds

One baddie:

Oh My Dawg Haute Dogs in Adams Morgan just plain sucks. I love the idea, but the dogs are uniformly terrible, the service rude and the cost to value wretched.

I like those all-beef dogs, but honestly I have yet to find one that even begins to approach the deliciousness of a non-kosher Nathan's. To borrow from a Budweiser slogan: it's the pork.

Man, there's no bigger fan of pork than me, but swine has absolutely no place in a dog.

('Course, I'm from Chicago, so take that for what it's worth :-)

Is there a place around DC where I can find nathan's, sabrett or hebrew national hotdogs in natural casing? The stuff I get always are skinless.

I love the pressed spam-like gyro meat you get from NY street carts (the NY times food section got me thinking). Is there a place around DC where I can find the Gyro meat?

Is there a place around DC where I can find nathan's, sabrett or hebrew national hotdogs in natural casing? The stuff I get always are skinless.

I don't know where you can get the specific brands you mention, but there are certainly some excellent hot dogs in natural casing to be found in Washington. First, try Harris Teeter, where you should be able to find Dietz & Watson "wieners". They make two kinds, one of which is all beef, labeled "New York Brand", the other of which is made of beef and pork and labeled just "Wieners". I much prefer the latter; the all-beef kind have sugar in them, which I don't like much in a hot dog. Be aware that these will not be found in the regular hot dog section, where you'll find the Oscar Mayer and Ballpark and so forth. They're displayed in front of the deli case.

Second, Whole Foods carries a brand of various sausages from a producer called "Brat Hans". The hot dogs are labeled "Uncured German Style Wieners", are made of beef and pork, and are longer than typical hot dogs. They come a somewhat irritating five to the package.

Either of the beef and pork dogs above are excellent, excellent products, among the best hot dogs I've ever found anywhere.

A couple of weeks ago I found natural casing Nathan's at Shoppers in Potomac Yard. I bought several packages based purely on reputation and stashed them in my freezer. Last night I finally grill some and I have to say that they have now eclipsed Thumann's as my favorite dogs. They had a robust flavor, and were as juicy of a dog as I have ever had, the only advantage that my previous favorite has on these is a better snap of the skin, but they still stand as my second favorite.

Bada-bump. They now carry Nathan's Natural Casing Beef Franks at the Giant in Van Ness, which probably means they carry them at other Giant stores as well. I like them, but not as much as I like the Dietz and Watson.

I stopped by Harris Teeter in Adams Morgan last week, intending to pick up some of my prized Dietz and Watson hot dogs. Imagine my sheer, trembling horror when I discovered they've replaced all the Dietz and Watson stuff they used to carry with Boar's Head. Boar's Head makes some pretty good products, but I don't like their hot dogs at all. As a consolation prize, I bought some natural-casing Nathan's hot dogs at the Giant in Van Ness. Giant carries a load of Dietz and Watson products, but not their hot dogs. Then yesterday when I was at Whole Foods in Glover Park, my eye fell upon Applegate Big Apple Hot Dogs. I'd seen them there a thousand times but for some reason never paid them any notice before. I picked up a package and read the ingredient list, which was extremely good reading. You can visit them on this web page. The ingredients list on that page includes evaporated cane syrup, which I don't remember being listed on the package, but perhaps it was. I had a couple of these dogs for lunch a while ago, and they're really very good, and certainly don't taste sugary. I hereby pronounce them superior to Nathan's and Brat Hans, but not quite as exalted as Dietz and Watson.

Does anyone know of a local emporium purveying D&W Wieners?

This doesn't answer the D&W question directly and I know I run a big risk of the powers-that-be moving this to the appropriate restaurant thread, despite this being hot dog relevant, but:

Heard from a good source a few days back that Freddy's is rolling out some premium "adult hot dogs" shortly

The ingredients list on that page includes evaporated cane syrup, which I don't remember being listed on the package, but perhaps it was.

Having consulted the ingredients list on the Applegate Big Apple Hot Dogs, I can confirm that it does not contain evaporated cane syrup, or any other kind of sugar. The hot dogs have a natural lamb casing, by the way.

On the subject of hotdogs, I was just eating a National Hebrew with some chili and cheese.  I was thinking I should have cut up some white onion, it was missing crunch.  I sometimes can be a purist depending on the dog mustard or sometimes just ketchup, but then sometimes I want to spice it up a bit.  What are your favorite hot dog toppings?

On the subject of hotdogs, I was just eating a National Hebrew with some chili and cheese.  I was thinking I should have cut up some white onion, it was missing crunch.  I sometimes can be a purist depending on the dog mustard or sometimes just ketchup, but then sometimes I want to spice it up a bit.  What are your favorite hot dog toppings?

Boy, it's tough to argue against the above three posts in terms of hot dog toppings. They all sound wonderful, and if I don't get out of this topic. Right. Now. I'm going to be eating hot dogs for dinner tonight.

I've arrived, after years-long reflection, at the position that hot dogs should be dressed with strong Dijon-style mustard and one other thing. The other thing might be chopped raw onion, or sweet pickle relish, or (my home-made) bread-and-butter pickles, or sauerkraut. I also really like Mt. Olive Sweet 'n' Hot Salad Peppers as the second thing. Adding a third thing almost always diminishes the hot dog. Chili and cheese are a mistake whether or not they involve thirdness or fourthness. The garbage-laden Chicago-style hot dog is something no civilized society should tolerate. Tomato ketchup on a hot dog is utterly disgusting.

A hot dog may be dressed with mild yellow mustard only at a baseball game, where it is compulsory.

I've arrived, after years-long reflection, at the position that hot dogs should be dressed with strong Dijon-style mustard and one other thing. The other thing might be chopped raw onion, or sweet pickle relish, or (my home-made) bread-and-butter pickles, or sauerkraut. I also really like Mt. Olive Sweet 'n' Hot Salad Peppers as the second thing. Adding a third thing almost always diminishes the hot dog. Chili and cheese are a mistake whether or not they involve thirdness or fourthness. The garbage-laden Chicago-style hot dog is something no civilized society should tolerate. Tomato ketchup on a hot dog is utterly disgusting.

A hot dog may be dressed with mild yellow mustard only at a baseball game, where it is compulsory.

Hot Dog, like sexual relations, are typical a duo activity, but there is no need to sneer at trios, foursomes or orgies!..

There is noting like an original Fluky's Dog in Chicago, with its neon green relish after and evening of lots of music, good company and too much booze. I grew up not far from Flookie's in Sherman Oaks, a case of an imitator maybe surpassing the original.  Of course Fluky's was sold years ago and I would be hard pressed to even remember which corner held Flookie's.

• Like 1

lunch today was a Nathan's hot dog, cooked campfire-style on a skewer over the fire in our woodstove, on a Pepperidge Farm bun with Gulden's mustard and warmed Cortland Valley organic sauerkraut. hit the ol' spot, it did.

Was it a Nathan's natural-casing hot dog? They were carrying those at the Giant in Van Ness for the last couple of years, but they don't seem to carry them any more, which is a shame. I don't really care to eat "skinless" hot dogs. I need the pop.

Was it a Nathan's natural-casing hot dog? They were carrying those at the Giant in Van Ness for the last couple of years, but they don't seem to carry them any more, which is a shame. I don't really care to eat "skinless" hot dogs. I need the pop.

Unfortunately, no. Like you, I much prefer the Nathan's natural-casing hot dogs, and buy them when I can. J. eats hot dogs for lunch several days a week, and of the reasonably priced available options, he prefers Nathan's to Hebrew National. So, I got a big package of Nathan's that I saw at Costco, which I broke down and re-packaged for the freezer.

On the subject of hotdogs, I was just eating a National Hebrew with some chili and cheese. I was thinking I should have cut up some white onion, it was missing crunch. I sometimes can be a purist depending on the dog mustard or sometimes just ketchup, but then sometimes I want to spice it up a bit. What are your favorite hot dog toppings?

Great topic, kt! Especially since such Americana and no right answer.

I tend to favor simplicity. A better-quality dog just with mustard and kraut. I don't have a strong view on the mustard. Usually, I only get hot dogs at the ballpark. We never have them at home. And, at Nats Park, just Max's for me. They were closed on Opening Day for Passover. :-(

Once, in college, I achieved fleeting fame in an ongoing "special dog" contest memorialized on the wall of a local, and somewhat nasty, lunch counter place. The "special dogs" were the usual size but featured stale buns, thin greasy chili, chopped and over (or under) carmelized onion and cheap mustard. The dogs themselves were of very questionable provenance, typically a bit burnt from sitting on a flatop too long without being turned.. As a college student, I gave no consideration to the health or sourcing aspects of the "special dogs." I just wanted to take out the reigning 3rd place person since only the top 3 had their names handwritten on construction paper, with the number of "special dogs" consumed, on the wall. The place was actually named "Broadway Lunch" and, well, mission accomplished. And, that's all I'm saying about that. :-)

I love Thumann's. Laurel Meat Market sells them. Great snap.

To me, a good hotdog is always a natural casing and involves a fair amount of pork in the mix, too,

I love Thumann's. Laurel Meat Market sells them. Great snap.

To me, a good hotdog is always a natural casing and involves a fair amount of pork in the mix, too,

Hmmm. There must be a good place in DC or NoVa to buy these? I'm not sure since they've never been on our shopping list. But, maybe this summer they will be. I wonder what Jaime Stachowski sells? Or the meat guy at Union Market? And, probably a ridiculous question but is it even in bounds to wonder if possible to buy a better quality hot dog roll? Come to think of it, I'm also a little surprised some TV Star chef hasn't "refined" this for us with a chain of lovely shops, using all local, farm-to-table ingredients, called "DC Premium Dogs" or some such nonsense.

I normally buy wursts at Heidelberg Pastry because their knackwurst is really similar to a hot dog, but better.  If one is ever going to Garrett County for a weekend in a lake house and is traveling during business hours, I would highly suggest going just a bit further on I-68 and getting off at the Friendsville exit, on the way to the lake because Working H Meats, not only has great grass fed beef, but they are making their own hot dogs and those are good.  I am trying to get my Mom to set up a business in retirement to grocery shop for people coming to a vacation home that focuses on local purveyors, but also has essentials because businesses like these may be a bit out of the way when you are on vacation, but really have great products.  

Hmmm. There must be a good place in DC or NoVa to buy these? I'm not sure since they've never been on our shopping list. But, maybe this summer they will be. I wonder what Jaime Stachowski sells? Or the meat guy at Union Market? And, probably a ridiculous question but is it even in bounds to wonder if possible to buy a better quality hot dog roll? Come to think of it, I'm also a little surprised some TV Star chef hasn't "refined" this for us with a chain of lovely shops, using all local, farm-to-table ingredients, called "DC Premium Dogs" or some such nonsense.

Not sure on the Thumann's front, but German Gourmet in Falls Church sells some pretty damn fine frankfurters, knackwurst and almost any other kind of encased meat. I urge you to go there indulge. Just looking at the case will make you hungry.

I would dearly wish someone who worked at Hot Doug's in Chicago before it closed would set up shop here and make it so here. I dream about the hot doug's dogs I had there.

I had my first hot dog in awhile last night- after party for the Mount Vernon HS mulch sale. These were leftovers, blistered on the grill, & most of the folks there had worked the sale, so they were sunburnt & exhausted. My kid is a sophomore, & she bailed for another activity. I contributed chips & hot dog buns, thoroughly enjoyed my hot dog, tried to share my home brewed kombucha w/ neighbors (they were not interested), had some moonshine & a couple of beers & walked home. Next year, I imagine I'll be working the mulch sale, along w/ my daughter.

12 minutes ago, dcs said:

Are hot dogs considered sandwiches? A newspaper correction says no, by Sonia Rao, July 21, 2017 on washingtonpost.com.  This seems like just the type of debate that could find a home in our pleasant little community.  FWIW, I have never heard anyone refer to a hot dog as a sandwich.  A hot dog is a hot dog and needs no further categorization.

There is a debate about this on The Sporkful podcast.  

1 hour ago, dcs said:

FWIW, I have never heard anyone refer to a hot dog as a sandwich.  A hot dog is a hot dog and needs no further categorization.

But isn't this like saying, "A hamburger is a hamburger and needs no further categorization?" Both are pieces of meat between a roll.

The answer hinges entirely on the definition of "sandwich," and "hot dog" is merely a distraction from this.

2 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

But isn't this like saying, "A hamburger is a hamburger and needs no further categorization?" Both are pieces of meat between a roll.

The answer hinges entirely on the definition of "sandwich," and "hot dog" is merely a distraction from this.

A hamburger is not a sandwich, either.  A patty melt?  Maybe.

3 hours ago, dcs said:

A hamburger is not a sandwich, either.  A patty melt?  Maybe.

Sounds like you're in the upper-left hand corner of the Sandwich Alignment Chart cited in the WP article.  I'm more indifferent than neutral, though calling Pop Tarts sandwiches is a bit too extreme for me!

The terms "hot dog" and "hamburger" imply the bun, thus no reason to say sandwich.  If order chicken, turkey, ham, or tuna fish, you are going to be more specific as to how you want that delivered.

• Like 1

Hot dogs are not sandwiches.

A hot dog bun filled with chicken salad is, at least arguably, a sandwich.

A Hebrew National between two pieces of bread would not be a sandwich. It would be a silly thing, perhaps edible, but just too silly to exist.

Chicken salad, formed into a cylinder and held together in that shape with some binding agent, between two pieces of bread, would not be a sandwich. It would be an absurdity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheldman said:

Hot dogs are not sandwiches.

A hot dog bun filled with chicken salad is, at least arguably, a sandwich.

A Hebrew National between two pieces of bread would not be a sandwich. It would be a silly thing, perhaps edible, but just too silly to exist.

Chicken salad, formed into a cylinder and held together in that shape with some binding agent, between two pieces of bread, would not be a sandwich. It would be an absurdity.

Everything hinges on the definitition of Sandwich, so let's turn to some experts:

Oxford English Dictionary - 1. An item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with a filling between them, eaten as a light meal.
‘a ham sandwich’
More example sentences

• ‘Come here for casual meals such as grilled sandwiches on homemade focaccia.’
  • ‘The latter can be eaten as is, or can be made into mini shawarma sandwiches with the pita bread.’
  • ‘This goes into own label ready meals, sandwiches and convenience foods.’
  • ‘On your way home from work, pick up a pizza, hamburgers, Chinese food, sandwiches, or some other take-out dinner.’
  • ‘Food comes in the form of light snacks, sandwiches and salads.’
  • ‘The menu has appetizers, sandwiches, pastas, salads and 23 kinds of pizzas.’
  • ‘The menu shows specialty and create-your-own pizzas, appetizers, hoagie sandwiches and salads.’
  • ‘There are vegetable spring rolls, sandwiches, burgers, dosas and milk shakes to make it a sumptuous eat for all.’
  • ‘Light food such as sandwiches are available and can be ordered when you book your ticket or at the theatre.’
  • ‘It offers nice hotel rooms, with several decent restaurants serving meals ranging from sandwiches and burgers with fries to much more upscale.’
  • ‘When you've had enough of ham and mustard in sandwiches over Christmas, try serving them instead in a pasta sauce.’
  • ‘Tea from a can with brown soda bread sandwiches and rhubarb tart never tasted so good.’
  • ‘A variety of starters good for bar munching, salads and calzones, in addition to burgers, sandwiches and pasta round out the menu.’
  • ‘From top to bottom, the first sandwich was black olive bread, spread with tapenade and filled with a slice of fresh goat cheese.’
  • ‘The company is now the market leader in a number of key growth segments in the British food industry, including sandwiches, quiche and pizza.’
  • ‘Next-door is the chilled out Meet Café, which does light snacks on Italian lines including focaccia and panini sandwiches.’
  • ‘Operators such as U.S.-based Subway Restaurants are pulling in customers with fresh salads and sandwiches on focaccia bread.’
  • ‘Sunshine and a light breeze can make even a ham sandwich twice the meal it is indoors.’
  • ‘I think the only thing sexy about food is that, when it is very good, it can give you shivers, not only sophisticated food but a good sandwich, an omelette, a salad, if quality products are used.’
  • ‘My eating companion opted for a lighter meal, a BLT sandwich, which arrived with side salad and chips.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Definition of sandwich

1:
a :  two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b :  one slice of bread covered with food

2:  something resembling a sandwich; especially: composite structural material consisting of layers often of high-strength facings bonded to a low strength central core

Finally, there's this:

May 27, 2016 - "Merriam-Webster Dictionary Makes Ruling: A Hot-Dog Is a Sandwich" by Charlotte Wilder on ftw.usatoday.com

(The author goes on to explain why Merriam-Webster is full of baloney.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it. You can argue this until you're blue in the face, and won't convince everyone (but will convince some people) that you're correct. Me, I'm apathetic about this whole debate, because I know what a sandwich is, and I know what a hot dog is. I also know how to tie my shoe, but don't know how to tell you to tie yours.