The Majestic Café, King and N. Alfred Street in Old Town Alexandria - Indigestic Passé.

Things are good through the end of January...after that nobody knows what's going to happen. Grover and I were there tonight and they're almost fully booked through Restaurant Week and Bob said he doesn't know what's planned after that.

What's planned as in who is cooking, or whether or not they will be open?

What's planned as in who is cooking, or whether or not they will be open?
Unfortunately, that I cannot tell you. There is much conjecture, much flying rumor, but nothing concrete. The only certainty is that Bob is planning on taking time off after the decision is made. Fortunately, Bob is overly-conscientious so the quality of the food remains very high (and the whole menu will be available for Restaurant Week as he told us last night). At this stage, we're going for Bobs food and to support the staff (Alex, Kent, Suzann) more than the restaurant. I'm not sure what we'll be doing in February.

There is some news. A new chef has been hired. He's from Portland, Oregon and will be starting (as a sous chef) soon. I'm not sure when the transition to the new chef is going to take place. Chef Bob Beaudry is going to introduce him to the food and clientele slowly (probably to keep him from running screaming back to Oregon). Chef Beaudry mentioned his name but as busy as it was there Sunday night, I really didn't get a chance to hear it. Grover and I will be there over the next couple of days, so I'm hoping we can meet the new chef.

There are other renovations planned for the Majestic but that's all that I know. I'm sure the interior will be changed as well but don't really know how or what those renovations will be.

Chef Bob Beaudry (and his wonderful desserts) and the staff who leave, are going to be missed.

More Majestic Cafe Updates:

The new chef at Majestic Cafe is Dylan Coolidge. He comes to the Majestic from Portland, OR where he was the head chef at Lucy's Table and then the Chef at the restaurant in the Mallory Hotel (now Hotel Deluxe). The Majestic is going to go through some remodeling and there will be a 90 day transition period. The Majestic won't be closed but there will be changes. Chef Coolidge will more than likely diverge from the Southern style that has predominated at Majestic by offering more contemporary American food with Italian and French influence.

Chef Coolidge will more than likely diverge from the Southern style that has predominated at Majestic by offering more contemporary American food with Italian and French influence.

This is a huge disapointment. There are far too many restaurants in the area serving "American food with Italian and French influence" and far too few serving regional southern style food as well as Majestic has. Especially given DC's identity as a Southern city.

This is a huge disappointment. There are far too many restaurants in the area serving "American food with Italian and French influence" and far too few serving regional southern style food as well as Majestic has. Especially given DC's identity as a Southern city.
I'm sure that as Chef Coolidge becomes more familiar with both the area and the culture, this will change. He said that he prefers to use local produce and supplies to create signature dishes. Given the pervasiveness of Southern influence in Alexandria, I'm sure, via osmosis, the Southern influence will permeate his cooking. (I agree we're over-run with French/Italian influenced restaurants). He's working with Chef Bob Beaudry through the end of the month, so I'm hoping that he will pick up some of his ideas as well.

I also asked him to join DR so that he could become more familiar with the dining population (okay, that part that has a computer and belongs to DR) to see what he had to look forward to.

Majestic Cafe won't close during the transition from Chef Bob Beaudry to Chef Coolidge. The restaurant is going to have some renovations but will be open. This will be a good time to check out Chef Coolidge and his food.

January 28 will be the last day for Chef Beaudry. If you get a chance, come by for dinner and a chance to say goodbye. Bob has done a great job under what could have been really trying circumstances. He deserves kudos for all of his good works (to say nothing of the great desserts). Bob, you (and your wonderful desserts) are going to be missed. Both Grover and I hope you have a great vacation and that you come back and end up baking and creating those desserts at some lucky restaurant.

Some major changes coming for Majestic Cafe. Appears that Dylan Coolidge is not going to be be the Chef. It appears he's on his way back to Portland (or somewhere). Bob Beaudry is off for a well-deserved vacation, the front of the house is dispersing to parts unkown and big changes are coming to the Old Town site. Stay tuned.

Sounds like a great tweak. And I appreciate people calling it venerable, but they must have eaten at the Majestic Cafe at better times. Since we lived here it was one of those places that one day was good and the next time subpar at best. I was embarassed one time bringing guests there. My wife and I had it on our list of places that wouldn't survive. It sounds like its going to be a wedge between Eamons and Eves.

Perhaps this is the reason for the drop-off in quality.

bilrus said:
I don't know - I had been at least three or four times since she left and the quality was as good as ever. I think if anything any drop off was more due to this.

The departure of Susan Lindeborg was perhaps the removal of the balast from the ship and the departure of the others the disabling of the bilge pumps? Would that make the the Armstrongs and the others the salvage company?

With this newfound identity comes Sommelier/Partner Todd Thrasher, who will mix ‘Majestic Classics,’ cocktails of the past. Mint Juleps and Sidecars will be shaken and served along with the local boy’s own childhood favorites - NeHi Ginger Ale, Home-Brewed Lemonade, and a Daily Slushy. The wine list? “Only names that everyone can pronounce,” chuckles Thrasher. “Nothing like the fancy wine at Restaurant Eve. This wine list will be very accessible with nothing over $50. Perhaps even a wink towards Virginian vineyards.”

I did like that Majestic Cafe offered a couple Virginian wines (I believe they offered the Linden Cabernet Franc and possibly 1-2 others). No other reason than that I like to see Virginian wines gaining acceptance and that there are at least a couple that can cut it.