I've actually received a few PM's about Eventide and was going to wait until our chef's name is public knowledge before I started this thread, but I guess it's never too early to give out details to this group. wink.gif

We're still in a lengthy construction period but truly hope to open by May/June. (My fingers are cramping as I type because they've been crossed for so long.) We're on Wilson Blvd. at the beginning of the same block that the Clarendon Ballroom and Liberty Tavern are on. The scoop...nice bar/lounge on the first floor run by an exceptionally professional and hilarious Bar Manager that will be concentrating on inspired, well-crafted cocktails and a bit of a more elegant atmosphere than a bunch of Clarendon restaurants play host to (read: no Jager bombs served here...ever). Second floor will be about 90 seats of unpretentious, "date night" dining with 3 semi-private areas where we can host 3 seperate groups of 10 or combine the areas to hold up to 30 for receptions, business dinners, etc...

The rooftop will feature table seating and will be a food-first floor. We certainly want cocktail-only guests to sit at the tables, but will not be playing host to an "SRO" rooftop scene...that's what the Clarendon Ballroom's roof is for. (The Ballroom owners are partners at Eventide as well. I might as well be straightforward and divulge that info now.) There will be a small bar on the roof for late night cocktails after dinner, but the roof will be managed so that it stays as comfortable as possible for all and remains a mostly-seated area.

I have also hired an extremely gregarious and knowledgable wine director but, you guessed it, I can't divulge his name either. Please don't think I'm being cloak-and-dagger about naming my management team, but they are all still working at their jobs and cannot put in their notice until I can afford for them to come on salary.

My Assistant GM (and also an Eventide partner) is Nick Freshman. Nick's a great guy that I've known for over 10 years and has worked with me at Olives and Poste and will be running the upstairs dining room. We're all extremely excited about this project and really can't wait to get our doors open. In the meantime, if any of you happen to walk by the site and the front doors are open, please feel free to stick your head and ask for Nick Freshman or myself and we'll give you a quick tour while it's still under construction. Just bring beers!!

(Feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions/comments/suggestions about the place. I welcome them and look forward to answering you.)

Sounds great and I'm looking forward to it. Will there by heat lamps and coverings on the roof or will it be a may to September thing only?

Sounds great and I'm looking forward to it. Will there by heat lamps and coverings on the roof or will it be a may to September thing only?

To get it open for this year's use, we'll probably make it open air for favorable weather only. If we're busy enough and the roof gets enough demand for its use, we will talk about all-weather construction to be done during the winter of this year to be ready by Spring '09.

Just wanted to say congratulations and good luck. I can see your place from my new condo so I am rooting for you. Sounds like it will be a great addition to the neighborhood. I can't wait to try it out and become a regular!

Catharine

Best of luck with construction, permitting, etc. I am guessing by the name it will have a seafood focus?

Actually, no. Eventide is a word that designates the evening or latter part of the day. We are going to be a dinner-only establishment with the lone exception being Sunday brunch. Thanks for the well wishes!

P.S. Permitting went rather smoothly with Arlington County. Construction, however, has been a whole different story...

My Assistant GM (and also an Eventide partner) is Nick Freshman.

Alas, I will miss the anonymity and lack of accountability I had roving the Rockwell.com world! :mellow:

I hope to see all of you in the spring!

I'll have a special bottle of Lillet behind the bar just for you. Ladybug Red will be available but you will have to go in the kitchen and swipe it from the cooks to pour yourself a glass...you bastard! :mellow: Should I build a bag drop at the entrance for when you visit?

Congrats & best of luck - I live a few blocks away and definitely look forward to stopping by. I'm already thinking of warm weather rooftop al fresco dining (especially given the current weather)!

Can't wait to see/hear about the menu - I hope the cuisine will differentiate itself somewhat from the existing neighborhood spots (Liberty, Restaurant3, Harry's, Blvd Woodgrill. . .)

Congrats & best of luck - I live a few blocks away and definitely look forward to stopping by. I'm already thinking of warm weather rooftop al fresco dining (especially given the current weather)!

Can't wait to see/hear about the menu - I hope the cuisine will differentiate itself somewhat from the existing neighborhood spots (Liberty, Restaurant3, Harry's, Blvd Woodgrill. . .)

Thanks MAdinolfi78! We'll be doing our best to become a favorite spot for our neighbors to frequent. As soon as our first sample menus are able to be released in a couple months, I'll post them on this site so you can determine for yourself if we are setting ourselves apart from the neighboring restaurants. Cheers!

I'll have a special bottle of Lillet behind the bar just for you. Ladybug Red will be available but you will have to go in the kitchen and swipe it from the cooks to pour yourself a glass...you bastard! :mellow: Should I build a bag drop at the entrance for when you visit?

Just make sure there is a cleat scrape for my golf spikes, I don't want the floor scattered with bent grass everywhere. I will also bring a great shrimp cocktail recipe along with Club sandwiches for everyone :)

All right David..enough already...let's get this thing open and functioning. I'm tired of waiting for those chocolate "bombs" and the promised good food and service. Grover and I are ready to see if you can give Nate a run for his money. Open dammit!!(and Josh, don't forget to do a wine critique..Matt is letting his school work get in the way of his wine recommendations)

All right David..enough already...let's get this thing open and functioning. I'm tired of waiting for those chocolate "bombs" and the promised good food and service. Grover and I are ready to see if you can give Nate a run for his money. Open dammit!!(and Josh, don't forget to do a wine critique..Matt is letting his school work get in the way of his wine recommendations)

Trying my best...we're all working very hard right now. I'm sending out a press release next week about our chef and will post it here as well. We're very excited that our chef is officially on board and is already working on menu development and starting relationships with his purveyors.

EVENTIDE RESTAURANT

3165 Wilson Boulevard

Arlington, Virginia 22206

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Dave Pressley, GM/Partner

Cell: 703-470-4102

Eventide Restaurant Opening in Clarendon This Summer

Equinox-Alum Miles Vaden Gets His Own Kitchen; Dave Pressley Serves as General Manager

ARLINGTON, VA – May 28, 2008 – The historic Odd Fellows Lodge building, on the corner of Hudson and Wilson Boulevards in Clarendon, will soon be home to Eventide Restaurant.

Slated for a summer 2008 opening, Eventide is owned by Clarendon heavyweights Nick Langman (owner, Clarendon Ballroom) and Peter Pflug (owner, Clarendon Grill, Clarendon Ballroom and Tallula Restaurant), and Dave Pressley, who will also be running the restaurant as general manager. Pressley was previously the director of operations for the Neighborhood Restaurant Group, and served as GM at Tallula, Poste and Olives in Washington, D.C., during his career.

Rising culinary star Miles Vaden takes over the restaurant’s kitchen as executive chef, with Eventide his first stint at the helm. He has worked under the direction of highly regarded award-winning chefs such as Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Shawn McClain, Todd Gray, and Anthony Chittum. Vaden spent the past two years as chef de cuisine at Sonoma in Washington, D.C., under Executive Chef Drew Trautmann.

Some of Vaden’s’ most influential years occurred at Equinox under Chef Todd Gray. He was the fourth man of a “dream team” that staffed that kitchen for two years: Brendan Cox (Circle Bistro) and Anthony Chittum (formerly of Notti Bianche and Dish, currently at Vermilion) were sous chefs while Nathan Anda (Tallula) was a fellow line cook. Vaden worked as sous chef under Chittum at Aria, Dish and Notti Bianche for another two years after leaving Equinox.

“Miles has surrounded himself with some of the industry’s top professional chefs, and is more than ready to launch his own culinary visions into the public spotlight,” says Pressley. “Under these mentors, he has gained an appreciation for regional cuisine and a thorough understanding of the ‘farm to fork’ movement -- supporting local farmers and their families -- something we will also embrace at Eventide.”

“Whatever assists me in bringing out the most flavor from my products is what I’m going to use,” says Vaden. “Sous-vide machines and immersion circulators have just as much place in my kitchen as old cast-iron skillets, sausage grinders and thin steel crepe pans. My craft incorporates traditional cooking techniques but I’m also fascinated by the technological advancements that are being made in our industry now. It’s a fun time to be a cook, and I’m looking forward to having my own kitchen!”

Steve Warner, a long-time fixture at Chadwick’s in Old Town Alexandria, will craft the cocktails. Well known for his speed, gregarious personality and desire to make balanced and interesting drinks, Warner will be personally concocting unique bar ingredients such as pomegranate grenadine, herb syrups, nut tinctures and bourbon barrel aged bitters.

Wine purveyor Glen Fisher, a long-time veteran of the wine industry who worked most recently representing the Country Vintner, will serve as Eventide’s wine director. The wine list will highlight wines mostly from North and South America and will offer around 100-150 selections. Twenty glass wines will be featured, rotating frequently, and will typically sell in the $8-$12 range.

North and South America are major influences for Eventide and will be strongly represented – but not exclusively -- on the menu, as well as the wine list, the hand-crafted cocktails and the beer selection.

Constructed in 1925, the Odd Fellows building provides the restaurant with a unique space. Much like the Masons, the Odd Fellows were a secretive fraternal organization, and built their meeting hall on the second floor. With no air conditioning in the 1920s, those ceilings were designed at a very high 18 feet, which will provide the restaurant with a distinctive dining room.

The restaurant will feature three distinct floors, with the first floor featuring a 20-seat bar. Three unusual “bump out” sections of the bar will make it possible to seat a party of four, not side by side, but rather at a “conversation enabling” semi-circle. The bar area has additional table seating for 40 guests.

The second-floor dining room features dramatic royal blue floor-to-ceiling curtains, exposed terra cotta blockwork, and tables of tiger-striped granite and reclaimed ancient Chinese elm. With approximately 90 seats, the second floor will be the dining room in Clarendon for date nights, business dinners and special evenings out. Three semi-private areas will seat parties of 8-10 people, which can be reconfigured to accommodate up to 30 people seated at a single 37-foot long table.

Taking advantage of its high roof line, Eventide will also feature a roof-level terrace, which boasts views of Georgetown and several monuments. Up to 60 people can sit on the roof for dining, and a separate bar area accommodates cocktail-only guests.

Eventide’s dining room (and rooftop dining area) will be open Tuesday through Saturday nights for dinner only and on Sundays for brunch only. The bar will open Tuesday through Saturday evenings and will serve until 1:30 AM every night. The kitchen on the first floor will serve the bar menu until 1:00 am every day it is open. Exact dining hours are yet to be determined.

EVENTIDE RESTAURANT

3165 Wilson Boulevard

Arlington, Virginia 22206

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Dave Pressley, GM/Partner

Cell: 703-470-4102

Eventide Restaurant Opening in Clarendon This Summer

Equinox-Alum Miles Vaden Gets His Own Kitchen; Dave Pressley Serves as General Manager

Hooray!!! (and about time...thank you, Mr. Pressley)

Miles did great work at Sonoma while he was chef de cuisine there. He's also just a real nice guy.

Miles did great work at Sonoma while he was chef de cuisine there. He's also just a real nice guy.
I second all of the above. I worked with Miles at Sonoma (my L'Academie externship) and learned a lot from him, not just culinary skills but also leadership-restaurant management skills. I will be taking the trip across the river when Eventide is open!

I've also been a fan of Miles' work at Sonoma (as well, of course, of Drew Trautmann's). It will be nice to have him closer at hand and he will be another addition to a growing pantheon of young chefs in the Clarendon hood. Looking forward with great anticipation to Eventide's opening.

Eventide will be opening in January, definitely. We've started our collection of "Final Inspections" and are busting our asses on a daily basis to progress further.

Steve, Glen, Miles, Justus, Alex, Nick and I have been onsite doing major demolition, build-outs, scraping, painting, general cleanup and equipment-loading for the last few months and are happy to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope we can count on support (and feedback) from the members of this board once we open.

Cheers!

-Dave

Eventide will be opening in January, definitely. We've started our collection of "Final Inspections" and are busting our asses on a daily basis to progress further.

Steve, Glen, Miles, Justus, Alex, Nick and I have been onsite doing major demolition, build-outs, scraping, painting, general cleanup and equipment-loading for the last few months and are happy to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope we can count on support (and feedback) from the members of this board once we open.

Cheers!

-Dave

This one is really it? Huh? Huh? Looking forward to the opening, Dave...

I can barely wait! I have been watching the progress and waiting patiently. The patio, which I can see from my window, is going to be a hot spot when the weather is warm. Good luck, Dave! You can definitely count on my support.

I can barely wait! I have been watching the progress and waiting patiently. The patio, which I can see from my window, is going to be a hot spot when the weather is warm. Good luck, Dave! You can definitely count on my support.
Thanks Catharine!

We must live in the same building. :-)