Great Wine $15-30

Joe H

Smoking Loon is a safe bet, and reasonably priced at or around ten dollars. I have seen it at Whole Foods, Sams, Harris Teeter, etc...  Both the Merlot and Cab are great deals at this price.

Smoking Loon :lol: From your description, it might be better off in the Under $15 thread. Or maybe not there either.

Thanks for the kind words on Prima 2004 (I work for the distributor). Another great wine gem for $12 is the Montepulciano 2002 from Bizzini - I could not believe how complex and drinkable this wine was for the price. Like drinking a $20-25 wine with some bottle age. Distributed by Siema.

I agree that the Cuvee is better.  The 2002 Shotfire Ridge Shiraz may be one of the all-time great QPR (quality/price ratio) wines.  Amazing value for a low price--I think Parker gave it 93 or 94 points.  I bought three cases and they didn't last a year.  Every time friends came over, out came a bottle, so they didn't last long.  Oh, how I wish I'd kept a few back--the 2002 was much better than the 2003, as it had depth and complexity almost never found in a $15 dollar wine.

I'm hearing that the 2004 shiraz, which is due in a week or two, will be much like the 2002.   I'm counting the days..... :lol:

If it's like the 2004 Marquis Phillips (their last year) whose cab, shiraz and Sarah's Blend have screw tops you may be disappointed. 2003 Elderton Barossa (about $20) is excellent also; 2003 Morambro Creek Shiraz was very good, too and there are a few stores that still carry it.

I'm not a fan of Smoking Loon at any price.

If you like 2002 Shotfire Ridge consider these:

J. Bookwalter Lot 18 or Lot 19 (WA)

Joel Gott 2003 Cab (CA) Delicious

Gracia Porqueno, 2004 (Chile) carried by Wegman's (remarkable complexity for $18; a much heavier wine than the Shotfire Ridge but, I think, an equal value)

Casa Lapostolle Cuvee Alexandre 2003 Cab (Chili)

Luigi Bosca D. O. C. 2002 mentioned by me above (another fairly complex wine that needs at least 30 minutes before drinking)

Edited by Joe H

2003 Morambro Creek Shiraz was very good, too and there are a few stores that still carry it.

The '02 Morambro Creek Shiraz was even better than the '03-- the '02 was the case you and I split, Joe. I just saw the '02 on the shelf at Magruder's in Chevy Chase yesterday. I still have a couple of bottles and I am well-stocked with other Oz Shiraz at the moment, or I would have bought more. It was apparently on sale for $17.99 last week. It has gone back to the "regular price" of $21.99, but I'll bet, if you speak to the manager and ask nicely, they'll sell it at the sale price. More refined than the jammy style of Marquis Phillips or Shotfire Ridge--the nose is guaranteed to make you swoon. Wonderful wine.

I recently hosted a wine dinner with all sorts of high end pinot noir and cabernet but someone brought a bottle of 2003 Capcanes Mas Donis and it really sang! a blend of old vine syrah and granacha really fantastic structure, with a great mineral quality the blended very well with the brambly fruit. the best part wine library has this for 9.99/bottle and parker (I'm not much of a point grub) gave it a 92. I'm buying.....lots.

I recently hosted a wine dinner with all sorts of high end pinot noir and cabernet but someone brought a bottle of 2003 Capcanes Mas Donis and it really sang! a blend of old vine syrah and granacha really fantastic structure, with a great mineral quality the blended very well with the brambly fruit.  the best part wine library has this for 9.99/bottle and parker (I'm not much of a point grub) gave it a 92.  I'm buying.....lots.

For that price I am willing to give it a try. According to wineaccess.com the Total Wine stores in the area have it for $11.49/btl.

Did you call them to find this out or do they have a web site?  I could not find it through  googling.

I was at the store and saw it there. I bought a bottle of that and also a bottle of the 2001 Capcanes Vall del Calas, which was rated 93 points by Parker in WA issue #159. Paul's price for that wine was $16.99. I haven't had the Mas Donis yet, but I did open the Vall del Calas. The first night, I decanted it and after 30 minutes the tannins were still too grippy to enjoy the wine with dinner, so I poured it back in the bottle and re-corked it and opened something else. Twenty-four hours later, I poured myself a glass of the Vall del Calas and it was gorgeous. Parker is so right on about this wine.

I recently hosted a wine dinner with all sorts of high end pinot noir and cabernet but someone brought a bottle of 2003 Capcanes Mas Donis and it really sang! a blend of old vine syrah and granacha really fantastic structure, with a great mineral quality the blended very well with the brambly fruit.  the best part wine library has this for 9.99/bottle and parker (I'm not much of a point grub) gave it a 92.  I'm buying.....lots.

I got the last bottle of this at Calvert-Woodley on Saturday, and the salesman said they'd probably not get more. I'll report back.

For our "House Wine", we have bought a few cases of Peter Lehmann's Barossa Shiraz, 2001 if I am not mistaken. It runs about 13.99 a bottle, though I have seen it cheaper and higher also. I know they sell it at Wegmans, World Market, and Costco occasionally. It is a bold and intense wine with a hint of oak. I suck at describing anything but, if you like bold in your face wines at a good price, please try this and let me know what you think.

For our "House Wine", we have bought a few cases of Peter Lehmann's Barossa Shiraz, 2001 if I am not mistaken. It runs about 13.99 a bottle, though I have seen it cheaper and higher also. I know they sell it at Wegmans, World Market, and Costco occasionally. It is a bold and intense wine with a hint of oak. I suck at describing anything but, if you like bold in your face wines at a good price, please try this and let me know what you think.

IMO several Aussie shiraz makers have followed Rosemount's lead and made their lower end wines more bland to appeal to a wider market. The Lehman and the Shotfire Ridge are two lower price ones that I think still embody what Aussie shiraz should be. An enjoyable wine if not always too food friendly.

I have never tried the Shotfire Rdige. I will go and find a bottle and try it.

When I first tried the Lehmann, I did not even know it was a shiraz as it seemed so diiferent than all the others I had tried recently.

On another but similar note, I am a huge fan of Delectus Winery Syrah's, (actually of all their wines). I love there 1998 Lodi Syrah, it is probably a bit higher than the $30 range at this point, but it is a wine worth seeking out. I spoke with the owners recently and they were trying to market their wines in the DC area, but after Wine Spectator's rating this past year, I think their problem may be keeping up the supply.

I have never tried the Shotfire Rdige. I will go and find a bottle and try it.

When I first tried the Lehmann, I did not even know it was a shiraz as it seemed so diiferent than all the others I had tried recently.

On another but similar note, I am a huge fan of Delectus Winery Syrah's, (actually of all their wines). I love there  1998 Lodi Syrah, it is probably a bit higher than the $30 range at this point, but it is a wine worth seeking out. I spoke with the owners recently and they were trying to market their wines in the DC area, but after Wine Spectator's rating this past year, I think their problem may be keeping up the supply.

Delectus makes great wines. We use the Argentum as our "house wine". All of Delectus's line is currently available at Schneider's on the Hill (cuvee Julia included).

Raisa, I agree with you on keeping up the supply. It seems as if the "secret" is out, or getting there anyway.

I did not know they were available here already. I usually order from their website. I may make it into DC to save the shipping costs. Though I joined their club Delectus and get a discount.

I am surprised they have Cuvee Julia.

They had, at minimum, two cases of Cuvee Julia, of which I bought a half case. Good stuff. What with the recent wine spectator rave I doubt it will linger in stock very long.

Found at Costco Pentagon City on a recent visit:

2005 (yes!) Turkey Flat Barossa Valley Rose for $11.99 --Grenache 52% Shiraz 26% Cabernet 16% Dolcetto 6%. Parker gave it 89 points in the just-issued Wine Advocate, though I've never seen him give anything above 89 to a rose. He also lists the retail price as $16. Vibrant salmon pink color. Nose is raspberry, cherry and rose petals. Refreshing acidity and lots of crunchy berry fruit flavors without any noticeable sweetness. Fresh, Fresh, Fresh. I know everyone is thinking rich reds for the cold weather to come, as I am, but this is a terrific afternoon quaffer, and would work well with roasted chicken or fish. I have had two other Turkey Flat wines--the Butcher's Block GSM and the Grenache, both of which are delicious, well-made wines which have gotten high scores from Parker. We opened a bottle on Sunday and I went back on Monday and bought six more, which is about as much as I am buying of anything, due to limited storage.