If I can make a suggestion...If you are booking a table for a busy evening or special occasion follow up your OT booking with an phone call, sometimes the system gets turned around.  Also if you book through OT make sure to cancel your reservation if you are not going to honor it, I often have OT ressies that never walk through the door

This point should be not just for a special occasion...

AND especially with RW coming up in January, many people are posting their schedules of reservations saying that they won't be able to "do them all." Just a reminder for all those overbooking their reservations to make sure that they cancel the ones they cannot make!

It is so simple to cancel on OT, I don't see why anyone wouldn't.  It is just good manners.

Sometimes, I've had access to a computer when I made the OT reservation, but I haven't had internet access when I needed to cancel it. [although, in my defense, when this has been the case I've simply called the restaurant to cancel.]

Sometimes, I've had access to a computer when I made the OT reservation, but I haven't had internet access when I needed to cancel it.  [although, in my defense, when this has been the case I've simply called the restaurant to cancel.]

I did that recently (called to cancel an OT reservation), and I still got a scoldy e-mail from OT. I wrote back to say that I had canceled by phone, and they said they would correct my account to reflect that I am not, in fact, a scoundrel and malingerer.

I just had an idea: Since people on DR are constantly making and canceling reservations, there should be a sort of clearinghouse for canceled reservations here. I.e., before calling the restaurant to cancel, one could post something on here that says, "I am about to cancel my 8:30, Tuesday, reservation for 4 at Restaurant Eve. Anyone want it before I cancel?" I don't know if there are enough DR users doing enough canceling to make it worthwhile, but it might be useful.

I did that recently (called to cancel an OT reservation), and I still got a scoldy e-mail from OT.  I wrote back to say that I had canceled by phone, and they said they would correct my account to reflect that I am not, in fact, a scoundrel and malingerer.

I just had an idea: Since people on DR are constantly making and canceling reservations, there should be a sort of clearinghouse for canceled reservations here.  I.e., before calling the restaurant to cancel, one could post something on here that says, "I am about to cancel my 8:30, Tuesday, reservation for 4 at Restaurant Eve.  Anyone want it before I cancel?"  I don't know if there are enough DR users doing enough canceling to make it worthwhile, but it might be useful.

This is a great idea. I can see it now: "I'm about to cancel my 7:30 reservation for 6 this Saturday evening at Ray's the Steaks." That could cause DR.com to crash.

Just a reminder for all those overbooking their reservations to make sure that they cancel the ones they cannot make!

Ah, but OT won't LET you overbook -- if you already have a reservation within 2 hours of the time you're trying to reserve, you can't make another till you cancel the existing one. I suppose if you go on OT as an admin assistant and make reservations under different names you can get around this, but it's tacky to do anyway so I don't really mind that the system won't let you do it.

Ah, but OT won't LET you overbook -- if you already have a reservation within 2 hours of the time you're trying to reserve, you can't make another till you cancel the existing one.  I suppose if you go on OT as an admin assistant and make reservations under different names you can get around this, but it's tacky to do anyway so I don't really mind that the system won't let you do it.

maybe overbooking is the wrong word...What I meant is that I've seen several posts on this site and EG where individuals post their schedule for the week, with a disclaimer stating that they won't be able to actually go to ALL of the places.

I just had an idea: Since people on DR are constantly making and canceling reservations, there should be a sort of clearinghouse for canceled reservations here.  I.e., before calling the restaurant to cancel, one could post something on here that says, "I am about to cancel my 8:30, Tuesday, reservation for 4 at Restaurant Eve.  Anyone want it before I cancel?"  I don't know if there are enough DR users doing enough canceling to make it worthwhile, but it might be useful.

I endorse this idea. It should become a separate, permanent thread. The only concern is that canceling a reservation on OpenTable with the intent that another DR member immediately pick it up does not, in fact, guarantee that the intent will become reality. I think the answer is that the reservation should remain in the name of the person who originally made it, and the reservation-maker simply has to rely on the reservation-taker to actually show up and not trigger an OT e-mail scold.

I endorse this idea.  It should become a separate, permanent thread.  The only concern is that canceling a reservation on OpenTable with the intent that another DR member immediately pick it up does not, in fact, guarantee that the intent will become reality.  I think the answer is that the reservation should remain in the name of the person who originally made it, and the reservation-maker simply has to rely on the reservation-taker to actually show up and not trigger an OT e-mail scold.

Can anyone share what the OT e-mail scold says? Just curious about what they say. And I don't want to experiment by making a reservation and being a no show just to see what happens. (Although, La Tasca and Bin 1700 are on OT. :) )

I wonder why any restaurant that accepts reservations would not use OpenTable? I realize that there is a cost involved with the system, but it would seem that the benefits (increased exposure) would outweigh those costs.

Often I plug in a date and time into OpenTable, click on "All DC restaurants" and see who has room available. Restaurants that don't use OpenTable (e.g., Dino) wouldn't even enter my mind in that scenario. There are a few restaurants that are famous enough or highly respected enough for me to know about them and seek them out. But for a pretty wide swath of places, not being on OpenTable pretty much rules them out.

For instance, colleagues visiting from out of town, I want to take them out to lunch or dinner. Surf over to OpenTable, plug in date and time, ah, "Circle Bistro -- I've heard good things about them." "Firefly, they seem to have quite a following on DR.com, let's go there."

Restaurant Week is a similar situation. Given a choice between clicking through online or having to use the phone, online will get my business 90% of the time.

Anybody else here feel similarly? I would imagine places like Ray's the Steaks and other will be busy enough without OT, but I wonder if I am missing something on why these restaurants go OT-less.

Can anyone share what the OT e-mail scold says?  Just curious about what they say.  And I don't want to experiment by making a reservation and being a no show just to see what happens.  (Although, La Tasca and Bin 1700 are on OT.  :) )

I made a reservation using OT for this past Friday but the host neglected to let the system know we showed, since I received a scold message. Unfortunately, I deleted the message but the gist of it is that you should honor reservations and it gives you the opportunity to provide details if you did in fact show up. I did just that and received a message back apologizing for the error and the promise to grant the 100 OT points. All in all, a fairly easy process.

I endorse this idea.  It should become a separate, permanent thread.  The only concern is that canceling a reservation on OpenTable with the intent that another DR member immediately pick it up does not, in fact, guarantee that the intent will become reality.  I think the answer is that the reservation should remain in the name of the person who originally made it, and the reservation-maker simply has to rely on the reservation-taker to actually show up and not trigger an OT e-mail scold.

While a bit more trouble, it would probably be possible to call the restaurant, cancel the reservation, tell the restaurant that -- lucky them! -- someone else is taking your reservation, and give them the name. Canceling it that way is supposed to cancel for Opentable purposes too, isn't it?

I wrote OpenTable with a suggestion but received no reply -- I think they should make a cell-friendly page (like Yahoo! and Google and Mapquest, etc., do). I know that I can access the OT main page on my phone, but for some reason, it's a pretty challenging process to actually DO anything on it. I would love to be able to log on when, say, we're on out way back into town after running errands.

Making last minute lunch reservations... looking for a place with outside seating. Went to OpenTable. Galileo has openings. Click on reservation. Receive this message:

Thank you for making a reservation at Galileo Restaurant. Should you need to cancel this reservation, please do so 24 hours prior to the reservation time.

Any guests who do not show up for their reservation will incur a $25.00 charge per person.

We look forward to having you dine with us. Your table awaits you.

OpenTable will never charge the card for any reason. There will be no charges by Galileo except in cases of a no-show, late cancellation, or required deposit per the restaurant's policy. Online cancellations are accepted before 5:00 pm on Feb 13, 2006.

All credit card information is secure and protected online by SSL encryption, the industry standard.

____

Discuss

What is the issue? The fact that it is dated 2 days ago? I have no problem with places taking a CC and charging for noshows. Seems like a good plan to keep those multi-res people down and people showing up at the specified time.

Didn't we discuss this on a thread somewhere before?

What is the issue?  The fact that it is dated 2 days ago?  I have no problem with places taking a CC and charging for noshows.  Seems like a good plan to keep those multi-res people down and people showing up at the specified time.

Didn't we discuss this on a thread somewhere before?

Dope. I didn't notice the 13th. I guess this was a Valentines thing as well. I thought it may have been an implementation of the policy year round. My bad.

Dope.  I didn't notice the 13th.  I guess this was a Valentines thing as well.  I thought it may have been an implementation of the policy year round.  My bad.

And if it was the implementation of a new year round policy, would that have been a bad thing?

It happened again: a reservation I booked through opentable.com was switched with respect to time without any mention of this fact to me.

Last time, this happened with Notti Bianche (I let Danny know about it; we were both perplexed). This time, it happened with Zola and I didn't have the opportunity to say anything given that I had my visiting parents in tow. Before raising the issue, I made sure to check my confirmation e-mail from when I first booked the res, just in case my memory is failing me.

In Zola's case, my reservation was moved fifteen minutes later. Not a big deal, really, because my parents very much enjoyed having an extra cocktail at Zola's attractive bar But I did initially have some trepidation about telling dear old Dad, who is pushing 70, that he'd be dining at 8:45 when he's used to meals cooked by Mom at 6 pm. :lol:

I think OT is a great service in many respects, but clearly I need to keep close tabs on my reservations made through the site.

It happened again: a reservation I booked through opentable.com was switched with respect to time without any mention of this fact to me. 

Last time, this happened with Notti Bianche (I let Danny know about it; we were both perplexed).  This time, it happened with Zola and I didn't have the opportunity to say anything given that I had my visiting parents in tow.  Before raising the issue, I made sure to check my confirmation e-mail from when I first booked the res, just in case my memory is failing me. 

In Zola's case, my reservation was moved fifteen minutes later.  Not a big deal, really, because my parents very much enjoyed having an extra cocktail at Zola's attractive bar  But I did initially have some trepidation about telling dear old Dad, who is pushing 70, that he'd be dining at 8:45 when he's used to meals cooked by Mom at 6 pm.  :lol:

I think OT is a great service in many respects, but clearly I need to keep close tabs on my reservations made through the site.

Well that is strange. While the restaurant should probably call to let you know that they are modifying the time, why can't opentable automatically send you an email that the time was changed. If nothing else this would alert the diner to call and find out what is going on.

Last time, this happened with Notti Bianche (I let Danny know about it; we were both perplexed).  This time, it happened with Zola and I didn't have the opportunity to say anything given that I had my visiting parents in tow.  Before raising the issue, I made sure to check my confirmation e-mail from when I first booked the res, just in case my memory is failing me. 

In Zola's case, my reservation was moved fifteen minutes later.  Not a big deal, really, because my parents very much enjoyed having an extra cocktail at Zola's attractive bar  But I did initially have some trepidation about telling dear old Dad, who is pushing 70, that he'd be dining at 8:45 when he's used to meals cooked by Mom at 6 pm.  :lol:

by the by, as we were both confused when the time on your reservation was not what you had initially reserved, i forwarded a tech support request to opentable. they responded by indicating that this is a "rare but known" complication. it most often occurs when the restaurant is making changes to the configuration of their system. when a change is made that effectively eliminates a slot that has already been booked, 99% of the time that reservation remains in the system as an "added" slot. less than 1% of the time, so they told me at least, that reservation is moved to the next available time slot.

"Rare but known complication," that's an interesting term for them to use. Old-school tech support would say "That's not a bug, that's an undocumented feature."

Learn something new every day on this board.

Well, at least it doesn't delete the reservation, but OT really should notify folks if a change like that occurs. I mean, what if you're trying to plan around a play or a movie?

...or a business meal...or something stressful like meeting your significant other's parents or...yeah, I was fine, and the variations were only 15 minutes, but in certain situations, I'd be really ticked about the change. As a result, I'll be triple-checking future important reservations.

Making last minute lunch reservations... looking for a place with outside seating.  Went to OpenTable.  Galileo has openings.  Click on reservation.  Receive this message:

Thank you for making a reservation at Galileo Restaurant. Should you need to cancel this reservation, please do so 24 hours prior to the reservation time.

Any guests who do not show up for their reservation will incur a $25.00 charge per person.

We look forward to having you dine with us. Your table awaits you.

OpenTable will never charge the card for any reason. There will be no charges by Galileo except in cases of a no-show, late cancellation, or required deposit per the restaurant's policy. Online cancellations are accepted before 5:00 pm on Feb 13, 2006.

All credit card information is secure and protected online by SSL encryption, the industry standard.

____

Discuss

Did it ever ask for your credit card information? If not, that is weird. Either way, I have absolutely no problem with no-show charges.

That happened to me too, my opentable reservation for Majestic Cafe during restaurant week got changed. I noticed it a few days before the reservation when I was looking at my current reservations on opentable. I was wondering if there were computer elves.

From the official OpenTable sales kit:

Cover fees: It's $1 per seated cover if they go through the OpenTable site...the party must cancel through the system or call the restaurant to cancel them out or else they are considered no shows. The restaurants are not charged cover fees if the reservation cancels prior to the reservation.

If the reservation is made through a link on the restaurant's site, they are charged a $.25 per seated cover. Phone reservations made manually are not charged.

For you opentable.com using establishments, a point of clarification. Is the .25 fee in addition to or in lieu of the $1 per seated cover made via opentable? Basically, is it to your advantage ( i.e. cheaper for you) for me to make my reservations via your webiste link or directly through opentable?

Thanks.

For you opentable.com using establishments, a point of clarification.  Is the .25 fee in addition to or in lieu of the $1 per seated cover made via opentable?  Basically, is it to your advantage ( i.e. cheaper for you) for me to make my reservations via your webiste link or directly through opentable?

Thanks.

if one makes a reservation through the opentable website, it costs the restuarant $1. if one were to make a reservation though the idividual restaurant website, it costs the restaurnt $.025.

if one makes a reservation through the opentable website, it costs the restuarant $1. if one were to make a reservation though the idividual restaurant website, it costs the restaurnt $.025.

Wow, that is a huge difference. I'll have to do that more often now that I know this.

As for the discussions of 'giving away' an OT ressie that you can no longer keep, I just checked to see if it was possible to assign the ressie to a different name on your account. That is not an option, just FYI.

As for the comments on making the OT site available to a mobile phone friendly way, I agree. I *can* access the OT site on my Blackberry rather easily, but it just takes a tad longer than I'd like to load. It is great for restaurant info based on your ressie, but it is a bit more cumbersome to actually make a ressie that way. Possible yes, but a little too cumbersome to do it every day.

After reading the threads about supporting independant and mom/pop restaurants I hit the "Independant Restaurants" button on Open Table to spur some recommendations for the coming weeks.

Hey - is there an extra charge to be listed as Independant?

If not, would Dino, Notti Bianche, Corduroy, Dahlia and Galileo please get themselves added to that list?

After reading the threads about supporting independant and mom/pop restaurants I hit the "Independant Restaurants" button on Open Table to spur some recommendations for the coming weeks.

If not, would Dino, Notti Bianche, Corduroy, Dahlia and Galileo please get themselves added to that list?

You will note that the restaurants listed as "Independent" are in fact, (according to their website) members of "DineOriginals.com, an organization comprised exclusively of locally-owned and operated restaurants, with chapters in 20+ cities nationwide. " I would assume that OpenTable has a relationship with that organization since they have a link on the site. There is no chapter in DC, though it looks like they want to start one here, according to the website. It takes a core group of 7 to 10 restaurants to start a chapter in a city. I guess the restaurant owners would have to decide if it is worthwhile.

There is no chapter in DC, though it looks like they want to start one here, according to the website. It takes a core group of 7 to 10 restaurants to start a chapter in a city.
True, but I wonder how the twenty metro-area restaurants already on the page got there?

It's strange that there isn't a DC Chapter -- almost eight years ago, according to their website, Robert Kinkead was one of the organization's founding fathers. Kinkead's is one of the 20 restaurants listed on Open Table's DC-area independant list.

I just want a few extra diners a week to find their way to the local independants. It's like the bar scene in Bull Durham when Kevin Costner's character describes the difference between a Hall of Fame baseball career and an also ran -- it's just a few extra hits and a few extra bases...

I contacted the organization and recieved a promise that someone from the organization would contact me. Nada so far.

Never redeemed any of mine. Ever. Anyone ever actually done it? Is it a pain when you give it to the restaurant place?

Takes less than a minute to redeem on the site. A week later you get a GC, accepted at any OpenTable restaurant. I've never had even a moment's hesitation by a restaurant in accepting them.

Takes less than a minute to redeem on the site. A week later you get a GC, accepted at any OpenTable restaurant. I've never had even a moment's hesitation by a restaurant in accepting them.
Good to know that they come in a week or so. I've thought about redeeming my points before, but the stated three week lag time (I think) was a turn off, although I'm not sure why. Either way I'll redeem some of my 15,000 today. Thanks!

Good to know that they come in a week or so. I've thought about redeeming my points before, but the stated three week lag time (I think) was a turn off, although I'm not sure why. Either way I'll redeem some of my 15,000 today. Thanks!

Think the quoted wait time may be 4-6 weeks now. It's such a crap shoot when you see a wait time like that. Some places you end up getting it the next week, other places use up the entire 6 weeks. So annoying.

Good to know, thanks. I only seem to dine at the 100 point restaurants, though. D'oh!

Good to know, thanks. I only seem to dine at the 100 point restaurants, though. D'oh!

That's OK TJ, as long as you use OpenTable at lease once every 12 months or so the points don't expire so you can take as long as you want to build up enough for a good check. So far I'm up to about 4000 or so. Usually the 1000 point reservations are for early or late or on Mondays and Tuesdays (slow days in the restaurant biz). If you are willing to take a 5:30pm or 9:30pm reservation, there are quite a few available. Strangely enough the Caucaus room has them from 5:30-10 on Friday and Saturday and not any other time.

Ps: and I am still pissed that their open table settings won't allow me to make a solo reservation.
It looks like you can do that now. I was planning to head over there myself for dinner in early July and plugged it into Open Table and it appeared to go through. Then I changed my mind and decided I'd probably rather sit at the bar, so I didn't complete the reservation. Give it a try if you're still interested.

[since this got moved from one thread to another, I will edit to add that the specific restaurant being discussed is Sonoma.]

Ps: and I am still pissed that their open table settings won't allow me to make a solo reservation.

Here's a clue: nobody's OpenTable allows singles to book. There are specific slots for different table sizes available online: 2,4,6,8. The software only allows those numbers. Maybe a 5 or a 7, usually never a 1.

Here's a clue: nobody's OpenTable allows singles to book. There are specific slots for different table sizes available online: 2,4,6,8. The software only allows those numbers. Maybe a 5 or a 7, usually never a 1.

At least 90 percent of my open table points are from solo dining outings.

Jennifer

I know that I've also made reservations for 3.