On 12/31/2018 at 12:39 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Will be back on Open Table on Jan 7, 2019.  I think ditching OT in DC is very short sighted.

I am aware of at least one popular place in the DC suburbs that ditched OT and has been doing excellent.  They saved big on the $1/head for a direct reservation on OT.  At about a $25-35/per customer order that is a big hit.  OTOH I am aware of restaurants local and national that ditched OT and had to go back.   

For many OT became a default source for reservations. 

• Like 1

OpenTable is going to need to adapt to survive.

Oct 5, 2018 - "Do You Use OpenTable? Chef Geoff Tracy Doesn't" by Jeff Clabaugh on wtop.com

In this interview with wtop.com, Geoff Tracey said:

“OpenTable had gotten very, very expensive. The eight restaurants that I oversee were paying close to $150,000 a year in total. By switching over, we were able to bring it down to about $33,000 a year ....”

On 7/12/2019 at 9:33 AM, DonRocks said:

OpenTable is going to need to adapt to survive.

Oct 5, 2018 - "Do You Use OpenTable? Chef Geoff Tracy Doesn't" by Jeff Clabaugh on wtop.com

In this interview with wtop.com, Geoff Tracey said:

“OpenTable had gotten very, very expensive. The eight restaurants that I oversee were paying close to $150,000 a year in total. By switching over, we were able to bring it down to about $33,000 a year ....”

The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things, of cabbages and kings.

OpenTable, the world's biggest online restaurant reservation service, is partnering with three companies — Caviar, GrubHub and Uber Eats — to offer delivery through its app, AP's Dee-Ann Durbin writes.

• Why it matters: Between May 2018 and May 2019, U.S. restaurant visits were flat at 23.8 billion; deliveries rose 3% to 2 billion, according to NPD Group.
  • OpenTable had to get into delivery because it's the only part of the restaurant business that's growing, NPD food analyst David Portalatin said.

When OpenTable's updated site launches this week, it will give diners a delivery option for 8,000 restaurants in 90 U.S. cities.

• OpenTable charges restaurants $249 per month for its service, plus $1 per seated diner who booked through OpenTable or 25 cents per diner who booked on the restaurant's website using OpenTable software.
  • Restaurants won't pay any additional fee for the delivery option.
  • Instead, OpenTable will charge a "modest fee" to delivery companies.

•  

Opentable has adapted well to the pandemic.  You can search by time and for outdoor dining.  Resy does neither while Tock only lets you search by time.  So now I have to check 3 websites, and pore over the description on Resy and Tock to see if available reservation is for take-out, indoor dining or outdoor dining.  And then there are restaurants that don't use any reservation network...pain in the ass just to find a place to eat while minimizing the risk of catching the rona.