Book for two (preferably through the restaurant's website, so they don't have to pay OpenTable), then call the restaurant and change to one.

If you are going to call the restaurant anyway, why bother with OpenTable at all?  Seems like an unnecessary step.

If you are going to call the restaurant anyway, why bother with OpenTable at all?  Seems like an unnecessary step.

Primarily because people want OpenTable points (*).

Another related example was Citronelle which had only four-tops - if you wanted to book a party of two, you *had* to call the restaurant.

I look at OpenTable as a drive-thru: sometimes you just don't want to interact with people at all, but in certain instances, there's no choice.

(*) Keep in mind that if you get to OpenTable via the restaurant's website, you don't get any points, but you do save the restaurant a dollar.

Book for two (preferably through the restaurant's website, so they don't have to pay OpenTable), then call the restaurant and change to one.

I believe they still pay even for that, but it's something like a quarter.

ETA:  If you do it through the restaurant's website, you don't get points, at least in any situation I've encountered.

FYI, OpenTable appears to frown on direct contact with restaurants either by making a reservation through the restaurant's website link to OpenTable or by calling the restaurant to change a reservation made via opentable.com.

click

Note that if you call the restaurant to change an online reservation, that reservation may no longer qualify for Dining Rewards Points.

click again

• OpenTable reservations that do not originate on www.opentable.com may not be eligible for Dining Point awards. If a reservation is eligible to earn points, the points value associated with that reservation will be displayed on the reservation details and confirmation pages, as well as in the confirmation email.
  • If a member needs to modify a reservation, the change should be made online at www.opentable.com, up to thirty (30) minutes prior to the reservation time -- rather than calling the restaurant -- in order to ensure that any applicable Dining Points are awarded.

It seems that many websites have been recently redesigned by the very same web design firm. They all look really pretty and glossy, huge photo at the top of the page, but I've found that, without exception, they're far less user-friendly than they used to be.  All gloss, very little function.  They all seem to have been designed by someone who never actually used the site previously.

Case in point: Open Table.  I used to be able to search DC restaurants by Neighborhood.  If that's still the case, I haven't been able to find it.  It seems the only way to search DC restaurants now is by 'Cuisine' or 'Cost.'  And, while those are certainly useful categories, for me, 'Neighborhood,' is the most useful of all.  I just tried to make reservations and I had to search through 284 restaurants all over DC to find one I wanted in the Logan Circle/14th Street neighborhood.

Am I alone in this, or are others finding this as well?  Or, can you tell me how to find a neighborhood search on OT?

^Thanks, Rovers.  I guess my mistake was to type in my preferred dining time on the home page.  I've discovered if I skip that step and click on 'Find A Table' without specifying date and time, I'm taken to a page where I can get a neighborhood drop down box.  But, if I put my info into the forms on the home page, I don't get that option.  

We received an Open Table gift certificate ($150) from some family members as a Christmas gift.  The new system is a little disappointing as the certificate is only good for certain restaurants and not any place listed on Open Table.  There is a long list of chains and mediocre places that it can be used. We were looking forward to using at some places we have been wanting to try but no such luck.

• Like 1

We received an Open Table gift certificate ($150) from some family members as a Christmas gift.  The new system is a little disappointing as the certificate is only good for certain restaurants and not any place listed on Open Table.  There is a long list of chains and mediocre places that it can be used. We were looking forward to using at some places we have been wanting to try but no such luck.

But you can use the "dining certificates" anywhere that uses OT!  That seems like a terrible system to me.

Ooooh....this system is a bit sneaky.  I was trying to see which local restaurants take the gift cards and all the links take me to first signing up...and then probably buying one before seeing which restaurants take them.  Definitely deceptive.  If there is a large gap between the restaurants on OT and the restaurants that take OT gift cards....one is "giving" something that does not represent the scope of OT.

OTOH, without a doubt if I am making or part of reservations for a group, there is nothing as convenient and helpful as OT.  We choose the day, early or late seatings, the # of people and generally the location.  Not only can I see what is available the others in the group with OT can also see the choices and it leads to an easier and somewhat educated choice.  It can be participatory.

From the restaurant side I'm sure dealing with the OT fees is a difficulty.  They are not cheap at $1/head.  Frankly I'm happy to pay cash and eliminate cc fees.

Again, from another perspective, if I'm an operator, I might not like the OT fees, but the knowledge about bookings has to be great info for restaurateurs.  Its incredibly difficult to know where one's business or revenues can come from.

And from the consumer side, man...OT sends an overwhelming volume of promos.  Use OT....get points.  Convert them into OT dollars.   Its a good thing these email carriers have virtually limitless capacity.  Otherwise I'd waste endless time deleting crappy emails.

Ooooh....this system is a bit sneaky.  

That is super sneaky especially when they say on their website see list of participating restaurants here.  Well I guess I am going to go with the amazon card option.  The old system was really nice, new system not so much.  

@KT:   Better said.  Definitely Super sneaky...not just a bit sneaky.

• Like 1

With the gift cards it seems like they get a big name chef's restaurant group in a city, then the rest is chains like Ruth's Chris and Bucca di Beppo-type places.

In DC it's Jose Andres and it seems they've added Mike Isabella, New Orleans is John Besh, Chicago Paul Kahan (those are the only places I've looked to use cards so far).

• Like 1

OK, I just did a quick check, and while they definitely have changed since you used to be able to use the points at ANY OpenTable restaurant, there are still 250 DC-area restaurants you can use points.

Besides the previously noted Jose Andres and Mike Isabella restaurants (and, yes, some chains), you can also include all of the Buben locations, Knightsbridge (Rasika, Oval Room, etc.), Ripple, Ping Pong Dim Sum, Monty's Steakhouse, Kellari, Ghibellina, Eat the Rich, Equinox, DGS, Dino's Grotto, District Kitchen, Corduroy, and that's just what jumped out at me off the list.

No idea why they moved away from the previous policy, but I don't think it's hard to find a place to use the points at.

• Like 1

Interesting, Rasika was the one spot we were hoping to use our gift certificate at but when I entered the code and search it does not come up.  All the others you listed did and I agree no shortage of possibilities.

That might have been my error - I saw other places in that group and assumed they would all take them if one did.

2 hours ago, dcs said:

OpenTable Began a Revolution. Now It’s a Power Under Siege, by Stephanie Strom, August 29, 2017, on nytimes.com.

I enjoy reading and learning about the business side of things.  As a user there are many situations wherein I find OT to be the most effective dining app around.  Specifically and at its highest use is when I'm working on reservations with others for a future date.  Assuming its not a huge number, its the most functional app for agreeing on a location/ a type  of cuisine/ and getting a reservation.  Its especially useful in the DC region and others where its penetration is so enormous.  (never complete penetration of the market but large).

I try and not use OT to make the actual reservations.  Despite the rewards it is a $1.00/head  or if I'm being extra careful I see $0.25/head if you make the res on the restaurant's web site.  Expensive for the restaurateur.  If price points for the meal are $30/person...that is 3%/  a significant cost.   At $70/person and higher a far less impactful hit, but a cost none the less.

The story is revealing.  The restaurateur that takes reservations from repeat customers using OT...pays a freaking high price for a freaking service that has gotten between his regular customers and himself.  As a business that stinks.  Who needs it?

Was interacting with a restaurateur who ditched OT in the last year.  Sales are great.  Reservations are abundant.  They chose a different less expensive alternative to OT and it hasn't cost them in volume but have saved on the per head cost, probably in the $,000's per month, not unlike one of the examples in the story.   Good for them. 

Circumstances change.  What works for some doesn't work for all.

I generally use OpenTable because it is easy and I have been using it for many, many years. That said, if I am forced to use a competing system or technology, I do. And there is always the phone. But the ease of click, click, clicking your way to a reservation is extremely appealing to me. It is not that I do not want to talk to someone at the restaurant, it is that clicking around is so much faster, easier and convenient.

It's a funny twist on competition vs monopoly/simplicity. For customers, it would be lovely to have a site that showed ALL restaurants taking online reservations in the area, so you could scroll through and see what your options are. OpenTable seemed to be that for a while. It is not that, any longer. This is a loss for customers, in an oversimplified sense, to have competition - because we weren't the ones who were DIRECTLY paying for the service. (Instead it was the restaurants who were paying.)

Someone will maybe figure out how to make a website that will aggregate OpenTable + Resy + Yelp availability, so that the customer can again scroll through all options in one site - maybe making $ through ads or whatever.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

That would be awesome. 

This would be the Trivalgo (or, depending on how far you want to go back, the Matt Drudge, or the Rotten Tomatoes) of restaurant reservations - an aggregator. The problem with this model is that it has been done for many other industries, and there's no barrier to market entry - it might be profitable for a few months, possibly a few years, but they won't be able to fend off competition.

On the other hand, if you can build a name for yourself (like Drudge has), the lack of barriers might not matter. What's remarkable about Rotten Tomatoes is that, despite the obsolescence of so many links, the website remains popular.

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

This would be the Trivalgo (or, depending on how far you want to go back, the Matt Drudge, or the Rotten Tomatoes) of restaurant reservations - an aggregator. The problem with this model is that it has been done for many other industries, and there's no barrier to market entry - it might be profitable for a few months, possibly a few years, but they won't be able to fend off competition.

On the other hand, if you can build a name for yourself (like Drudge has), the lack of barriers might not matter. What's remarkable about Rotten Tomatoes is that, despite the obsolescence of so many links, the website remains popular.

If a third party website scraped all this data from the OT's and other reservation services to show ALL online reservations it would cause a big commercial stink and probably lead to law suits.  OT's and the other reservation services have these relationships/contracts upon which they earn revenues.  They would explode and sue.

OTOH:  there is a type of this occurring now in the restaurant world.  Its with delivery services:  

When you search on Google for a restaurant by name, they have this large piece of google info.  Its technically called the Google Knowledge Panel (or box).  Its Google's info.  They insert ALL KINDS of info abt the restaurant.  One can go there and never hit the website.  It includes name, address, hours, a map, access to a reservation source, the menu and a link to click on takeout.  If you hit the takeout button you will find ALL the takeout services.  The takeout services have each built a menu page for that restaurant.

Google has other information that enables a searcher to find answers without ever visiting the website.  They have their own reviews, post reviews from other sources (currently not yelp or tripadvisor), ask questions abt the restaurants and provide answers from consumers.  They probably have more photos of the place than any other source aggregating photos from the restaurant itself plus taking pictures from other sources and presenting it themselves.  They provide something called "sentiment analysis" that attempts to summarize review comments and present it to visitors.

Back to take out:

So Google is aggregating ALL the takeout sources.  I assumed they were taking a piece of those fees.  I recently heard via sources that they are currently NOT taking fees, or weren't when it was set up.  Maybe they are now, maybe not.  I wouldn't know.   In any case Google has a position that is treated separately from all other websites.  They can get away with things that 3rd party sites end up being sued for doing or attempting.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they did step into this situation and arranged/negotiated a way to both aggregate all these reservation services for consumers as a one stop shop...regardless of constraints on any other operator.

I suspect that in the current environment if anyone could successfully aggregate all reservation options from all websources/reservation sites/ it would be google.  At this point any other source would be open to enormous law suits.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 9:13 PM, Pool Boy said:

I generally use OpenTable because it is easy and I have been using it for many, many years. That said, if I am forced to use a competing system or technology, I do. And there is always the phone. But the ease of click, click, clicking your way to a reservation is extremely appealing to me. It is not that I do not want to talk to someone at the restaurant, it is that clicking around is so much faster, easier and convenient.

Generally if it isn't on Open Table, I'm not booking it.  I'm not picking up the phone to call.  I hate the phone...

On 9/3/2017 at 4:48 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

Generally if it isn't on Open Table, I'm not booking it.  I'm not picking up the phone to call.  I hate the phone...

Same, although I'll use OpenTable or whatever other online system the restaurant uses. I have to really, really, really want to eat at a place to pick up the phone to make a reservation (or my party's too big to book online). I generally hate the phone, and the fact that I don't want to be the jerk who calls for a reservation at the height of the dinner rush makes calling for a reservation even more annoying and complicated -- I have to remember to call when someone's at the restaurant but they're presumably not very busy.

btw, if you redeem your open table points here, 2,000 points is still good for $20 (most other places are only good for $10).

The above comment by @Ericandblueboy about Texas Jacks reminded me about a recent change in google search that both makes an OT reservation more visible and "easier" but DOES NOT provide for OT points.   User beware:   A visual presentation below:

5ad4d584ae268_OpenTablePointsdependingonwhereyouclick.jpg.8f6fd12af6e945729fe3195e764be314.jpg

You can find the big blue button on both mobile and desk top searches in Google.  Its new, having begun showing up around the end of March or beginning of April.  As of March 31 OT terms of service specifically reference that you can't get OT points off of that blue button.   (I suspect the large blue button is a way for Google to get a "piece of the  $$ pie" via OT.

In any case, if you book an OT reservation off of the OT website it costs the restaurant an additional $1/head and you are eligible for points.  If you book the OT res off the restaurant page it costs the restaurant $0.25/head and you are NOT eligible for OT points.   Use the big BLUE button off of google search: -> NO POINTS.  (probably costs the restaurant $1/head.    Use the OT Link below the Big Blue Restaurant:  -> OT points and it costs the restaurant $1/head.

• Thanks 2

On 8/30/2017 at 9:31 PM, sheldman said:

Someone will maybe figure out how to make a website that will aggregate OpenTable + Resy + Yelp availability, so that the customer can again scroll through all options in one site - maybe making $ through ads or whatever.

I have really wanted to do this for food delivery, although I lack any technical skill.

Is that a global setting on Opentable? It would explain why so many restaurants don't (can't) align the start of online and phone booking.

On Resy it's either configurable or locked to a different default; I know Dabney in DC starts both online and phone booking at noon.

1 hour ago, guanabana said:

Is that a global setting on Opentable? It would explain why so many restaurants don't (can't) align the start of online and phone booking.

On Resy it's either configurable or locked to a different default; I know Dabney in DC starts both online and phone booking at noon.

I dunno.  OT gave me a short answer and I didn’t ask about any specific restaurant.

23 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Seems like almost all the restaurants are redeeming 2,000 points for only $10 in DC/MD/VA.  I did notice that the surviving Isabella joints are still redeeming at $20 per 2,000 points.

Noob question: is there a way to check the available restaurants and their redemption rates before committing points?

On 10/29/2018 at 8:02 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

To redeem, you have to make a reservation.  You’ll see the redemption rate for each restaurant before you make the reservation.

I do not even understand why they made the change from how they used to do this. It used to be, you have this many points, you redeem them for $x. They send you a check you throw in with your tab at ANY OT.com restaurant and they accept it and process it just like the check it is.

This new way is all smoke and mirrors it seems.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:02 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

To redeem, you have to make a reservation.  You’ll see the redemption rate for each restaurant before you make the reservation.

If you don't see anything you like, can you get your points back? In my reading of the instructions, the process seems to be: convert points into a voucher with expiration date, then use that voucher to search/book (I don't see how to find the list of participating restaurants, without first getting a voucher). What also isn't clear to me: if a restaurant participates, is it guaranteed that it will accept all denominations and/or keep the same exchange rate? (i.e. if a place accepts 2000 points for $20, will it also accept 5000/10000/20000 points and still at $50/$100/$200?). OT also sells gift cards for some restaurants, but that list may not match the set of rewards restaurants - I don't see any Isabella gift cards available.

3 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I do not even understand why they made the change from how they used to do this. It used to be, you have this many points, you redeem them for $x. They send you a check you throw in with your tab at ANY OT.com restaurant and they accept it and process it just like the check it is.

This new way is all smoke and mirrors it seems.

Zero actual knowledge but It wouldn't surprise me if the old system wasn't so great for restaurants - I could totally see OT not reimbursing the full value and consolidating checks in monthly/quarterly cycles.

8 hours ago, guanabana said:

If you don't see anything you like, can you get your points back? In my reading of the instructions, the process seems to be: convert points into a voucher with expiration date, then use that voucher to search/book (I don't see how to find the list of participating restaurants, without first getting a voucher). What also isn't clear to me: if a restaurant participates, is it guaranteed that it will accept all denominations and/or keep the same exchange rate? (i.e. if a place accepts 2000 points for $20, will it also accept 5000/10000/20000 points and still at $50/$100/$200?). OT also sells gift cards for some restaurants, but that list may not match the set of rewards restaurants - I don't see any Isabella gift cards available.

I don't have any answers for you.  After I get my voucher, I'll just use it as soon as possible, even if it isn't worth much.  

On 1/1/2019 at 9:17 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

There are more eyeballs on OT.  I’m pretty sure all restaurants know that but they do the cost/benefit analysis.  If they can fill the restaurant without OT, then they don’t need OT.  

I believe that is precisely the reason.  OT is very expensive. It's fees include a charge per head.   Other reservation systems are far more affordable without the charge per head.   But OT is the overwhelming leader in "eyeballs" as mentioned above.  If changing reservation systems for a restaurant doesn't cost them seats...they make the change.  But it doesn't always work --because of the significant difference in "eyeballs".

Ciao Osteria, a terrific pizza/Italian food restaurant in Centreville made the change and they are still enormously busy.  BTW:  They encourage reservations as they are indeed often packed. 

The change from OT works for some and not for others.  The restaurants will only know if they give it a try.