Vegetarian Restaurants in Bethesda

KeithA

Please help, I need recommendations for restaurants in Bethesda that have good vegetarian options for a dinner tomorrow night. There will be carnivores, a fish-eating vegetarian, and a no-fish vegetarian (but not vegan). Also, you can skip recs for Indian places, because one of the guests, but not me, is not a fan. Thanks for your help.

Please help, I need recommendations for restaurants in Bethesda that have good vegetarian options for a dinner tomorrow night.
And? And??
I think the point is that Don wanted to know what happened on the evening of March 1.

It's not exactly comparable to waiting to see if someone accepts new advice to shape new strategies, learning which tips were rejected, which recommendations implemented, and whether tides change as a result. However, I always appreciate knowing what happens when I give someone advice.

It also makes this particular topic useful for the next DR member who is looking for a way to feed vegetarians coming to town on the town.

Besides, stories are usually more interesting than other texts. Finish the plot! Please. :mellow:

Please help, I need recommendations for restaurants in Bethesda that have good vegetarian options for a dinner tomorrow night. There will be carnivores, a fish-eating vegetarian, and a no-fish vegetarian (but not vegan). Also, you can skip recs for Indian places, because one of the guests, but not me, is not a fan. Thanks for your help.

Where did you go? I'd like the veggie plate at Houston's (even though it's a chain and blah blah blah) and not sure if Raku or Matuba could do anything for you, but those are my thoughts. I lived in Bethesda in 2001, but much has changed.

As I always I appreciate the recommendations. The veggie diners wanted italian so we tried Centro after checking out their menu online and seeing a good range of veggie-friendly options. For starters there were 3 salads and I had the tuna tartar with roasted beet special which was pretty good. Teh salads were alright except the belgian endive salads was too sour despite its add ons of pear, candided walnuts. It probably needed a fruiter dressing to cut the sourness. For entrees we had 3 vegetarian choices and 1 seafood. I had the Mafalde con Funghi Selvatici e Tartufo Nero - Thin Ribbon pasta with wild mushrooms, Umbrian black winter truffles, sage and parmesan cheese, which was decent. I like mushrooms and thought it would have this great woodsy flavor which often goes well with sage, but it lacked oomph. It was also a huge portion that could easily be shared by two. My wife had the very good Paccheri di Gragnano con Zucca e Bufaline -The classic Paccheri pasta with butternut squash and cherry buffalo mozzarella finished with aromatic extra virgin olive oil and basil. This was the best dish I tasted with a good pink sauce. The others had and enjoyed (but I didn't taste) the Capelli D'Angelo con filetto di Pomodoro e Burrata - Angel hair pasta, sauteed with fresh peeled cherry tomato sauce, finished with Burrata mozzarella cheese and the Linguine Integrali ai Frutti di Mare -Thin whole wheat linguine with shrimp, scallops, baby clams and mussels in a fresh spicy tomato and white wine. We finished with sharing two desserts - an ok, but not great classic cheesecake (not italian-style) and a couple of big tennis ball sized and really good profiteroles filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with very dark, thick chocolate sauce.

Overall, it was a nice place. I don't think I'll run back because the food had some hits and misses and was a little pricey (but most italian places in the area are IMHO). The service started off well with a friendly waiter and getting a great table in one of the two alcoves by the front windows. These 6 or so tables are much better than the rest of the restaurant because they are spaced nicely and you are not on top of your neighbors. The downside was we hat table that backed up to a partition with the door on the other side, which when opened sent cold drafts our way (I didn't mind, but others with me did). The service eventually became neglectful as it got later, especially when our entree plates weren't cleared for about 30 minutes. We weren't in a rush though so I didn't track down anyone.

As for the Indian/Afghan lovers, I'm with you as well as with the carnivores, but you have to make accomodations for others. I have enjoyed Passage to India when I've been and if we had been up for Asian, I would have gone to Raku which I always enjoy including there veggie-friendly soft tofu salad that is big enough to be an entree.