Presidents Day Lunch Banquet at Bob's 88 Shabu Shabu

DanielK

Mon Feb 18 2008, 12 noon

No word on the exact menu yet, but Bob has promised specialties that are NOT on the regular menu. And I personally promise that there will be Lion's Head Meatballs. What else do you need?

Most of you are probably off work, so let's get a good crowd!

Attendees:

DanielK

deangold

porcupine

Scott Johnston

rkduggins

xcanuck

BUMP!

Come on, people. It's the pre-eminent Taiwanese restaurant in the area, it's a holiday, and the owner is cooking special for us. And all we can get is 6 members, and all of them regulars? Shame!

Mon Feb 18 2008, 12 noon

No word on the exact menu yet, but Bob has promised specialties that are NOT on the regular menu. And I personally promise that there will be Lion's Head Meatballs. What else do you need?

Most of you are probably off work, so let's get a good crowd!

Attendees:

DanielK

deangold

porcupine

Scott Johnston

rkduggins

xcanuck

legant

goodeats

Tweaked

eating out

I would love to meet you all, but would be lame to be 90% sure?
Same deal, I have this on my radar and very much want to attend, but can't yet say what Monday will have in store for me with work... Is it okay to make a game day decision?

90% is good enough for me!

Dean, when does Bob need our best guess at headcount, and what will be the implication of showing up with 1-2 people more or less than predicted?

BUMP!

Come on, people. It's the pre-eminent Taiwanese restaurant in the area, it's a holiday, and the owner is cooking special for us. And all we can get is 6 members, and all of them regulars? Shame!

Dan - If we can add one more for Monday please count me in.

Thanks.

Umm... just because I am struggling between this and lickety split, what other special items are going to be showing up?
This is one of the few times of the year I would ever say this, but don't bother with the lickety split. The President's Day parade makes Old Town a nightmare. Even a lickety split isn't worth the traffic and frustration, especially when you have another delicious alternative in the opposite direction.

Just in case it wasn't clear, I don't think Shabu is actually going to be part of our banquet. I know that sounds strange considering the name of the location, but the homestyle Taiwanese menu here is (IMHO) better than at Bob's 66 across the street, and I believe it will be some combination of things from the Taiwanese menu, and things NOT ON THE MENU, that will be our feast on Monday.

Dean was hoping to get a menu listing from Bob to post here, but I don't know if that will happen. Last time, he presented a menu, and then didn't hold to it when we got there. :mellow: Of course, for the price he quoted us, he also threw in like 3 extra courses that occasion...

Sounds like a perfect plan for Monday.

Just in case it wasn't clear, I don't think Shabu is actually going to be part of our banquet. I know that sounds strange considering the name of the location, but the homestyle Taiwanese menu here is (IMHO) better than at Bob's 66 across the street, and I believe it will be some combination of things from the Taiwanese menu, and things NOT ON THE MENU, that will be our feast on Monday.

Dean was hoping to get a menu listing from Bob to post here, but I don't know if that will happen. Last time, he presented a menu, and then didn't hold to it when we got there. :mellow: Of course, for the price he quoted us, he also threw in like 3 extra courses that occasion...

Went by yesterday and talked to Bob. He wants to go off menu and do some real home style things that his chef wants to do. THere will be lots of items to try, more like a small plates meal rather than a lot of large plates. There will be some odds and ends including (or maybe not) liver, duck's feet, some seafood. We will have Lion's Head Meatballs. Bob is suppoesed to call me today with more of the menu. At this point I don't think he really knows exactly what we are getting.

We had leek with chinese ham last night which was the best thing we have ever had at Bob's so I think we will have that as well. There was also eggplant with Thai basil. I will post more as I know more today.

Here's the headcount as it currently stands:

DanielK +1

deangold

porcupine

Scott Johnston

rkduggins

xcanuck

legant

goodeats

Tweaked

eating out

hm212

synaesthesia (?)

And I have 2 more maybes in email, so we're at 12-15 - that's more like it!

I told Bob 10-15 so we are very OK on people. I know a few are maybes. 18 would be three 6 tops, 16 would be two 8 tops.

Here's the headcount as it currently stands:

DanielK +1

deangold

porcupine

Scott Johnston

rkduggins

xcanuck

legant

goodeats

Tweaked

eating out

hm212

synaesthesia (?)

And I have 2 more maybes in email, so we're at 12-15 - that's more like it!

Um, can I add 1 more person? Lion's meatballs are always a sign of homecooking to me! Mmm.

Lisa and I will be there but will also have to leave promptly at 1pm. Some us have to "work" :)

It remains to be seen how well I'll be able to scarf down the lion's head meatballs - I took a puck in the throat in tonite's game and swallowing is somewhat difficult!! :mellow:

Oh, wow...that was GOOD!!!!

Cold appetizers (liver, jellyfish, tripe, peanuts, gluten, and drunken chicken)

Soup

Steamed pork chops w black bean sauce

Cantonese style tripe

Leek dumplings

Crab dumplings

Ginger chicken

Braised pork

Lion's head meatballs (which Dean accurately described as pork fat bound together with a little meat :mellow: )

Whole tilapia with spicy pickle sauce

People were still eating when I left (2 hrs later!) and I believe there were more dishes to come. Someone feel free to update my list and maybe even put in the correct names of the dishes.

Dean and Daniel - what a great job organizing this. A delicious and interesting meal. Thank you!!

People were still eating when I left (2 hrs later!) and I believe there were more dishes to come. Someone feel free to update my list and maybe even put in the correct names of the dishes.

You forgot to mention the shrimps. I'm sure there were other dishes, but I stopped paying attention -- food induced stupor -- after the Lion's Head meatballs. But I do remember the shaved ice.

Seriously: sympathy to all those who had commitments afterwards. I don't know how you can function... she says as she prepares for a nap... after such a wonderful and bountiful feast.

Thanks to Dean and Daniel for organizing.

Oh, wow...that was GOOD!!!!

Cold appetizers (liver, jellyfish, tripe, peanuts, gluten, and drunken chicken)

Soup

Steamed pork chops w black bean sauce

Cantonese style tripe

Leek dumplings

Crab dumplings

Ginger chicken

Braised pork

Lion's head meatballs (which Dean accurately described as pork fat bound together with a little meat :) )

Whole tilapia with spicy pickle sauce

There was:

river eel with yellow chives

yellow chive & leek meatballs/dumplings

soup dumplings with crab roe

There was also a sight you will rarely see..... Amit and I sitting at a table of food not eating..... :mellow:

The liver was beyond belief good, so was the eel and the fish. The Lion's head was particularly good today and the braised pork amazing. The antonese tripe was sweet, rich and the sauce delicious on rice.

All this for $32 per person including tip.

There was:

river eel with yellow chives

yellow chive & leek meatballs/dumplings

soup dumplings with crab roe

There was also a sight you will rarely see..... Amit and I sitting at a table of food not eating..... :mellow:

The liver was beyond belief good, so was the eel and the fish. The Lion's head was particularly good today and the braised pork amazing. The antonese tripe was sweet, rich and the sauce delicious on rice.

All this for $32 per person including tip.

It was so nice meeting all of you for the 1st time. For $32, I felt like I ate for two for two days straight! The braised pork (ti pang) had this wonderful touch of anise to it that brought back such good food memories. Such great fat on that pork!

Also thanks to Dean and Daniel for organizing.

Today was the first time that I have had tripe - Don't know if I would always like it, but the Cantonese style was GREAT!

Eel - Lions Meatballs - The most flavorful items I have had in a long time.

The shaved ice was a perfect ending too.

Thanks Dan & Dean.

It was so nice meeting all of you for the 1st time. For $32, I felt like I ate for two for two days straight! The braised pork (ti pang) had this wonderful touch of anise to it that brought back such good food memories. Such great fat on that pork!

Also thanks to Dean and Daniel for organizing.

Thanks again to Dean for organizing the Presfeast 08. Perhaps we can all recover by next year to try it again. The highlights of my meal were the Liver, Spiced Peanuts, Cantonese Tripe, Braised Pork and the Lion's Head Meatballs. The shaved ice is always refreshing at the end of a Bob meal. Most of the items we had were on the regular menu and I encourage those who could not join us to try these items soon!