Having a vegan sister-in-law, I have much experience with this!

As mention above, Zaytinya and Jaleo are surprisingly vegan friendly.

Also mentioned above Indian works well. Rasika was very helpful

Most veg Ethiopian is also vegan. We really like the veg sampler at Ethiopic.

Founding Farmer's has a decent veg/vegan selection. Sister-in-law liked the vegan burger. Good option for brunch.

Many pizza places now carry vegan cheese substitute: District of Pi, Pizza Paradiso, and Pete's are good options.

Thai and Vietnamese places can prepare many dishes vegan, just stress no fish sauce.

Sticky Fingers bakery makes some pretty good desserts that you would not suspect are vegan (they also make some that don't work well!)

Galaxy Hut just went all veg/vegan...dive bar vegan!

As mention above VegDC has a very good listof veg/vegan restaurant options.

and finally here is a short list of Wash Post recommendations

• Like 1

There is also all-vegan Loving Hut in Falls Church. I go there quite often and I like it (their club sandwich is surprisingly yummy).

And if you like Ethiopian, Enat's vegetarian entrees are vegan since they cook them in corn oil. I highly recommend the vegetarian sampler.

I'm wondering if anyone has new additions to the vegan list. Particularly in DC and at a lower price

Meridian Pint. I don't find the food here great, but the veg food is better than the meat food, Iand I hear that the vegan food is good. The beer is great.

Smoke & Barrel has good vegan food and excellent beer.

Not in DC, but right on the outskirts in Takoma Park, MD is this Korean-American place called Mark's Kitchen. I don't think there's a thread on it. They have many vegan options. I had their bibimbap yesterday and it was pretty decent. Discount if you are a coop member.

On 2/13/2008 at 7:12 PM, Scott Johnston said:

I have some Vegan friends that I want to take out in the DC area (actually as close to SS as possible). What are some good VEGAN options that are more on the mid to upper range rather than the dives you usually see me at? Yes, I am looking for true Vegan, no animal or fish products or by products. While Ray's has a veggie entree, I am looking for a place with some variety. Help me out guys!

Wow, reading through threads finding vegan choices and I find this gem. Nearly a decade later we have Fancy Radish in the DMV. Times have changed, and in my dining ventures I will be seeking out more places that offer  a variety of inventive plant base dishes that go beyond a plate of  veggies. Any, and all suggestions welcome.

I have a friend coming into the District to shoot engagement photos for a couple, and is vegan and loves to dine out! Other than the obvious Fancy Radish, where else should she go?

11 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I have a friend coming into the District to shoot engagement photos for a couple, and is vegan and loves to dine out! Other than the obvious Fancy Radish, where else should she go?

Shouk and Chaia - both fast-casual, and both the best fast-casual restaurants in the entire DMV, as far as I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I think Equinox does very good, as they call it, plant-based dishes. I've never been disappointed there.

Cedar Restaurant also has a vegan menu/sub-menu.

Doron Petersan's Fare Well on H Street is all vegan, and I like their brunch items. And since she runs Sticky Fingers as well, yummy desserts are available.

And, as said above, Smoke & Barrel still does good vegan food at a BBQ place.

• Thanks 1

Almost every Middle Eastern restaurant offers a plethora of vegan mezze appetizers -- hummus, baba ghanouj, tabbouli, pickled turnips, olives, you-name-it. You can cover the entire table with small vegan plates, tuck in with hot-out-of-the-oven pita bread, and gorge yourself. I've done it often, and I'm a devout carnivore.

• Like 1