Grape + Bean, Coffee House, Wine Bar, and Gourmet Market in Old Town and Rosemont

monavano

Also, Chinatown is among the minority of coffee shops with a liquor license. I know coffee people in this city who think that has distracted Chinatown in a big way from its coffee program. Certainly we know where the profits are at Chinatown.

I always understood alcohol sales there and others (eg, Tynans) were just amenities and did not constitute significant revenue. Not sure I am clear on what you're putting out there, the profits are on the coffee? But they also sell gelato and that addictive Pequea Valley yogurt and granola. I guess I don't think of them as having a distinctive alcohol beverage program. Just some (non-rotating) lineup craft beers and absinthe. Plus they close around 7? I don't doubt others are dogging them for alcohol sales but can't believe it would take them off course from coffee.

I always understood alcohol sales there and others (eg, Tynans) were just amenities and did not constitute significant revenue. Not sure I am clear on what you're putting out there, the profits are on the coffee? But they also sell gelato and that addictive Pequea Valley yogurt and granola. I guess I don't think of them as having a distinctive alcohol beverage program. Just some (non-rotating) lineup craft beers and absinthe. Plus they close around 7? I don't doubt others are dogging them for alcohol sales but can't believe it would take them off course from coffee.

I think generally if you can get a liquor license it's financially attractive to do so. Whether it hurts the coffee quality is a matter of opinion. I'm usually happy with the cups I get there. But again I know some coffee obsessives and coffee industry types who knock Chinatown for putting out crappier coffee since Nick Cho left and since the liquor license was granted. Not so much my view but definitely a view that's out there.

I would be shocked if their alcohol sales even sniff 3% of total revenues. That the coffee program would decline after Cho left makes perfect sense to me. I could see how implementing an alcoholic beverage menu could be a symptom of a weakened coffee program, but not really a cause of it.

At CCC, I followed the startup, Cho departure, and addition of alcohol to the menu all with interest. Nick is a passionate expert in the world of coffee, but I have to say I didn't associate any major dip in the coffee program with his departure. More recently I've seen some slippage on their nicely prepared cortados though. Maybe I'm missing something.

If you want to see slippage, try "Killer ESP" in Old Town. When it opened as a second Bocatto location it was the best espresso in Alexandria. Four months later -- and now -- its undrinkable. A shame because Stumptown was handling the training. Now I see the retail coffee getting older and older... Maybe the pie is fresh.

Question: Does Grape + Bean have seating? Apparently so, but I thought not.

I recall seating. Perhaps no indoor seating, but definitely patio seating. Which I guess is why the Greek Deli is in the R/D section, under your definition.

Back to G+B (again)...

As Porcupine stated above, the Old Town location does have seating - indoor and outdoor. They also offer classes and tastings on a regular basis with some very interesting winemakers and distributors. It's a great place to stop in for a bite during the day, or in the evening (if you can find a seat).

The Rosemont location currently has only outdoor tables, but the plan is that it will eventually be set up in a layout very similar to the Old Town store. This includes food and table service. I'm sure the usual culprits (ABC and the City of Alexandria) are behind the extended schedule in getting that part of the operation up and running. They usually have a small tasting going on in the early evening on Fridays and Saturdays. Rosemont has an interesting beer selection, carries Trickling Springs Creamery milk and ice cream (lots of flavors), Pequea Valley Farm yogurt, a variety of cheeses and other interesting gourmet products. Both also have a nice selection of teas.

KMango - was the coffee you ordered already brewed or a made-to-order cup? Just curious.

Full disclosure, friends work there, etc. etc.

Posts 32 through 35 above are the ones that should be moved.

I would include post 31 since it really isn't about G+B specifically.

Sad to hear that G+B isn't what it used to be. I guess I recall their Clover cups, what a treat those were. I need Togo back for the Blue Bottle beans.

...but I'm wondering if you (KMango) were game to give G+B another chance, you might talk to one of the owners, explain what you experienced the last time and see what they'd suggest in response. I'd bet you'd get a much better cup that way. This is one of the things that frustrates many with coffee--so many variables. Or, if you have the genetic defect I do, it's an aspect of coffee that makes it so interesting and great....

I ventured back into the Rosemont Grape & Bean today and smack my momma if I did not have one of the best cups this year. I did not explain my predicament/dissatisfaction with previous visits. I just went for the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe pour over and prayed for drinkability due to serious caffeine needs. The cup nearly bowled me over with fruity, consistent, fully sense-enveloping satisfaction. It would have been criminal to add anything to this perfect brew.

One Barista can make a difference, Michael.

<Hey! Moderator Masters! A couple of thread titles need adjustment or merging; there are several G&B threads, one says "Rosemont opening soon".>

Do you live or work in Alexandria, say, within a 15 minute drive of Grape & Bean Rosemont?

This is a PSA for you.

*smack* yes, YOU. Pay attention.

On the next ninety-plus degree day, venture to G&B Rosemont for the chilled Beet Soup ($7-ish), available in the cold case.

*smack* I know you may have that love/hate thing going on for beets, but TRY THIS.

The impossibly velvet texture, glorious seasoning, and "my gawds this can't be vegan" depth will refresh your palate and hydrate your soul.

*smack* is the sound you'll make, and a little *cry* when it's over.

post-5654-0-83400300-1373840150_thumb.jp

Went to the Grape n Bean in Rosemont.  This is right across the street from where my bestie is now living, so I see it in my future a lot.  We had a group with us, ordered a bottle of Chardonnay from California which was really good they only had two and I think only one was CA).  We got the meat and cheese plate, which I have to say had a lot more accompaniments than your normal plate.  It had gherkins, pickled carrots, grapes, dried apricots, 3 types of bread, quince paste, mustard and olives.  It was so lovely.  Had I known how big it was Mom and I would have just split that.  I ordered the Espana Ensalada which was a nice refreshing salad with anchovies and macarona almonds with a light vinagrette and cucumbers.  I really enjoyed it.  Others got some sandwiches that I didn't try.  Anyway it was a nice little evening.