Who is Exciting You Right Now?

Pool Boy

I find myself heading to my usual haunts for dinner these days, partly because I am doing my darnedest to lose weight and I want a kick ass meal when I am going to blow it. But I am also craving trying some new joints with my wife, and also with my wine buddies?

What places are really getting your juices flowing now and why? What chef is really surprising you? What chef has kicked it up a notch or two recently?

Come on peeps, give it up. :mellow:

Proof - Haidar Karoum's versatility is surprising and impressive.

Cork - Ron Tanaka has great staying power in this neighborhood, as there is plenty of money and not really any great mid-priced restaurants in the area. This one is.

Palena - I don't know that Frank Ruta has kicked it up a notch, because he has always been operating at the top in my opinion, but the fact that you can still go in here and get top 5 food for under $50/person in the Cafe is something that cannot be ignored.

PS7s - It is still easy to get a seat in here, and if you like cured meats/general pork products, this place is worth a trip.

Ravi Kabob - If you care at all about kabobs/South Asian food, go in this weekend and try the Karahi and the Haleem special. This guy is a great example of a really good cook that will always go unnoticed because of the space he's operating in, but there is no one at his level in the DC metro area for this authentic style of food.

PS7s - It is still easy to get a seat in here, and if you like cured meats/general pork products, this place is worth a trip.

I will second the nod to PS7s, but add that there is much to like here beyond the cured meats and general pork products. This is becoming my go-to spot both as a lounge and a fine dining restaurant. I am not sure why this place hasn't yet been flooded (it is only a block away from the Penn Quarter mess), but I'm not complaining.