Bedford, PA

baczkowski

From what I've seen, Bedford Springs Resort looks beautiful, though it is in Bedford, PA. Other than a connection to the Bud Shuster Highway, what else is there to do? Has anyone been? My wife wanted to go away to a bed and breakfast type place (though I know she really means "Get me a damn massage!") for her birthday in a few weeks and this looks like the nicest place that also happens to be fairly easy to drive to for a weekend. There's a dinner and breakfast option at Bedford Springs and I was wondering if that would be worth it, too. I'd love to learn from your experiences.

Pax,
Brian

P.S. Before it's announcement to fold several months ago, Inn at Easton would have been in the running. If you have other suggestions, feel free to PM me.

From what I've seen, Bedford Springs Resort looks beautiful, though it is in Bedford, PA. Other than a connection to the Bud Shuster Highway, what else is there to do? Has anyone been? My wife wanted to go away to a bed and breakfast type place (though I know she really means "Get me a damn massage!") for her birthday in a few weeks and this looks like the nicest place that also happens to be fairly easy to drive to for a weekend. There's a dinner and breakfast option at Bedford Springs and I was wondering if that would be worth it, too. I'd love to learn from your experiences.

Pax,

Brian

P.S. Before it's announcement to fold several months ago, Inn at Easton would have been in the running. If you have other suggestions, feel free to PM me.

My wife and I stopped in the place for a drink on Christmas. We were on the road for the holidays and staying on the PA Tpk at a Hampton Inn. We knew the resort had just opened and thought we'd check the place out to see if it'd be worth staying there sometime despite the high rates. The place is quite big and pretty nice looking--it was dark when we arrived, so we only saw the building and not the grounds. If the bar is any guide to the food, I'd say it'd be serviceable, but probably not the reason you'd go. One thing is that in our late 30's we were half the age of anyone there, so the menu is not going to stray too far from grilled steaks and salmon. we looked at the wine list while sitting at the bar, and the selection was OK, not great, and the mark-up was very high compared to other restaurants. The staff we encountered were all personable and genuinely nice, which was a pleasant surprise to me for folks serving on Christmas Night. If you go, be sure to get to a coffee place in the tiny downtown area of Bedford called He Brews. I've been drinking coffee every day for the last 20 years and I believe this was the best cafe Americano I'd ever had.

What a pleasant surprise. Bedford Springs was beautiful. The decorations were a classy synthesis of historical detail and carpentry , Restoration Hardware style fixtures, and Martha Stewart paint colors. Having just opened in September of 2007, this place still shines from $120 million of historic preservaton and modernization. The original draws of this 200+ year old resort, the spa and mineral spring fed pools, were delightful as well. While we came here to just get away and let my wife get pampered (though I scraped a few coins from the couch cushions to share in the indulgence), we weren't holding our breaths about the food. Again, what a pleasant surprise. The resort has four places to eat: a snack shop; a tavern; the Continental Room serving the likes of crab cakes, steaks, and a rotisserie; and 1796, which is a prix fixe dining room (2 courses + dessert for $68 or 3 courses + dessert for $80). We had dinner at 1796 and had an excellent meal. It wasn't even an issue of the kitchen exceeding low expectations. Our meals were very strong, from the homemade bread basket filled with four types of breads to our tasty and nontraditional salads to a bite of house cured duck prosciutto with melon to my excellent slow-cooked veal "breast" (I've never seen cow or veal "breast" before, but maybe that's my limited experience) to our beautiful and delicious desserts. The chef came from the Greenbriar and brought solid technique and presentation. No dish was knock-your-socks-off inventive, but the menu included several options with a touch of personality beyond your boring American fair. Not cheap, but a nice experience considering your next best Bedford option is Hoss's.

We ate breakfast in the Continental Room and opted for the Sunday brunch buffet. I hate brunch buffets. But for $14 each, we could choose from the applewood smoked bacon, buttery grits, herbed scrambled eggs, and fried potatoes while also being able to ask the chef to prepare an omelet or anything else off the regular menu for no extra charge. Considering that the omellette alone was $15 as a stand alone meal, the buffett was a no brainer. I asked the chef to prepare me an order of grand marnier french toast ($12 on the regular menu) and he delivered four piping hot slices to my table while I was shoveling grits in my mouth. The result was that I am now committed to always putting grand marnier in my french toast. So, all in all, a great weekend get away that was actually enhanced by far better than average food. Most importantly, though, this place is beautiful and relaxing. Just remember, though, there is frickin' NOTHING in Bedford! That is unless you're enticed by Gravity Hill!

Pax,

Brian

P.S. Room rates are about $100 cheaper per night now that it's off season. Some friends have told me that they've heard of this place b/c of the golf course (it's supposedly one of the oldest in the country), but it'll take a few months of thawing for that option to present itself (and the rates to climb).

The following is our letter to the management:

We were scheduled to stay overnight at Bedford Springs Resort tonight, but we left very disappointed with the hotel's policies and hidden charges. First, no one informed us that there is a $150 pet surcharge. We specifically referenced pets in our reservation request yet no one informed us of the charge prior to our arrival. $150 is outlandish. The front-desk manager offered to discount it to $75, which is still outlandish. We were told that the hotel is losing money by only charging $75 for pets. We travel with pets regularly and I've never heard of such a claim. The second disappointment involves signing a disclaimer that we must check-out by 11 or else we might incur a late fee. Part of the reason we decided to stay at Bedford Springs Resort is so I can play a round of golf. It's hard to get in a round of golf in the morning if I have to check-out by 11. We very much looked forward to relaxing and enjoying the resort and its grounds but we left very disappointed.

We were willing to spend $280 for a room, $125 for a round of golf, $150-$200 for dinner and drinks, $130 for spa treatment. Instead, we left.

Was at a convention this past weekend at the Omni Resort in Bedford Springs. It was really nice. Our rooms were very nicely appointed. Lunches and breakfast were catered, but surprisingly good. Dinner in the Crystal Room was very good. I had salmon with rice cake and greens all of which were very good, and all my table mates had very good looking dinners too. the cauliflower soup looked a bit thick, it wasn't mine so I didn't have any. Tea was very nice too. Service all over the resort was just very nice and personable. I didn't get to do many activities since I was there for work, but really enjoyed it and would go back.