Business Dinner near Washington Marriott

laniloa

OK folks, I need some help. I have a hectic week of meetings and my boss and several of my staff will be joining me. My boss will only be with us for a day. He flies in at 6 so I'm in charge of arranging a working dinner. I'm figuring 7:30 to allow for potentially checked luggage and cab to our hotel -- Washington Marriott (22nd and M). Now, if it were just up to me we'd walk over to Vidalia or Mendocino. But, we get a $20 for our dinner per diem and I don't want to stress my staff who will be paying quite a bit out of pocket after a week's worth of eating out I've got them covered for some cheaper meals during the week, but don't want to put them in an awkward position). My boss' taste run simpler but my staff are into trying things and have gotten used to me picking good places. So, do we catch a cab and go to Proof (which I really, really want to try) and I think will satisfy all of us with menu choices? Walk over to Circle Bistro? Some other obvious choice I am completely missing?

OK folks, I need some help. I have a hectic week of meetings and my boss and several of my staff will be joining me. My boss will only be with us for a day. He flies in at 6 so I'm in charge of arranging a working dinner. I'm figuring 7:30 to allow for potentially checked luggage and cab to our hotel -- Washington Marriott (22nd and M). Now, if it were just up to me we'd walk over to Vidalia or Mendocino. But, we get a $20 for our dinner per diem and I don't want to stress my staff who will be paying quite a bit out of pocket after a week's worth of eating out I've got them covered for some cheaper meals during the week, but don't want to put them in an awkward position). My boss' taste run simpler but my staff are into trying things and have gotten used to me picking good places. So, do we catch a cab and go to Proof (which I really, really want to try) and I think will satisfy all of us with menu choices? Walk over to Circle Bistro? Some other obvious choice I am completely missing?

$20 won't get you very far for dinner here anymore. Bar food and one drink at the new West End Bistro at the Ritz across the street. Bar menu and no drinks at Vidalia. One appetizer and a glass of wine at Proof. For $20 you should go around the corner to Mei Wah. At least the food is good and no one will be hungry.

I think Proof is beyond your budget. :mellow:
Yeah, but less beyond budget then many other places then first came to mind!
$20 won't get you very far for dinner here anymore. Bar food and one drink at the new West End Bistro at the Ritz across the street. Bar menu and no drinks at Vidalia. One appetizer and a glass of wine at Proof. For $20 you should go around the corner to Mei Wah. At least the food is good and no one will be hungry.
I'd go for a bar dinner but don't think my boss will. I thought of Mei Wah but have been advised my boss isn't fond of Asian flavors. We were at another out of town meeting recently and he chose Carrabas over a nice looking local Chinese place. I want to push him a little just not over the edge.

"after a week's worth of eating out I've got them covered for some cheaper meals during the week..."

Cheaper meals than $20 during the week? McDonald's? Chipotle? A cafeteria? Vending machine? Serious. I've haven't heard of a per diem like this in Fargo or Wichita let alone Washington, D. C. And, $20 for a working dinner? D. C. sales tax is 9.5% and the tip for a larger group is at least 18%. This means your $20 is really about $15 which, in a better restaurant, might buy one glass of wine or a glass of cheap wine and some cornnuts. You may be better going to 7-11 and doing a blow out frozen dinner using one of their microwaves! Are you aware that the Bread Line for a half sandwich and a cup of soup with a drink and tax is about $12? At least you don't have to tip there. If you ordered a whole sandwich and/or a bowl of soup you'd just make your per diem. And, Carraba's entrees are in the $13 to $18 range. Plus a Diet Coke, tax and tip and you're still over $20.

Not trying to be overly disrespectful but you can't be serious in claiming a $20 per diem for food in D. C.?

Entrees at Proof start at $21. Problem is that 1. the menu is so tempting that you will not be satisfied with just one plate and 2. portions are, shall we say, "moderate."

Start at $21 is better then start at $31. I have no problem sticking with one plate or picking up an appetizer to share with my dining companions. If I thought I could get away with it gracefully with my boss, I'd simply cover the overage. Hmmm...perhaps I will magically receive a gift certificate that I can graciously offer to apply to the cost of our meal.

I know I am going to exceed the per diem given the parameters I have to work with. I just don't want to completely disregard it.

If you have your heart set on Proof, best call first thing tomorrow. It's a really popular place.

Otherwise, maybe Hudson? It's getting mixed reviews. Tom likes it. Not necessarily easy on the budget, but perhaps easier than Proof.

Believe me, impressing the boss is definitely not an issue. Not pissing him off is.

I'm thinking Firefly could be a good option (thanks for the pm'd suggestion).

Thanks for helping me think through this. This is much better then talking to myself.

Believe me, impressing the boss is definitely not an issue. Not pissing him off is.

I'm thinking Firefly could be a good option (thanks for the pm'd suggestion).

Thanks for helping me think through this. This is much better then talking to myself.

I would look at the menu for Firefly, it ain't that cheap.

I think all talk of Proof, Blue Duck Tavern, and Firefly should be shelved if we're really talking about a $20 limitation. If it were me, I'd be at Circle Bistro lounge (sometimes the obvious answer is also the best one). If places like Nooshi are too exotic, maybe pizza at Famous Luigi's? Lomo Saltado at El Chalan?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Take it up with my state legislators.

$20 for meals? That's scary. I've always followed (for non-profit and contract work) OPM guidelines where the per diem for food, in DC, is $63. Just out of curiosity: what state is this? And, what is the lodging rate?

if a little distance can be tolerated in furtherance of a Real Urban Experience they'll carry back to Tallahassee, how about getting the group onto the 14th St bus and trekking up to Colorado Kitchen? Twenty bucks goes pretty far there though I think the place only seats 48, don't know what their policy is re groups, only have been as a deuce and a 4 top. Maybe call first.

If boss finds the bus a little funky just print out any of the gazillion great reviews, or maybe get him an autographed copy of Chef's book.

Tom S is rec'ing Dish as a mid-priced option. A little further travel, but also a reasonable priced, good food that should please anyone option is Dino. If you are going on a Mon or Tues, you could splurge the extra $10 for a 3 course RW menu.

That said, if I were trying to keep close to a $20 meal, I'd probably pick an inexpensive cuisine and live it up casual style rather than go somewhere I really couldn't afford. I'm a big fan of ordering lightly at the bar or other means to access top notch cuisine at a reduced price, but if you've got a group and they are less food oriented and more budget oriented than you, you might be better served to give them something closer to what they want, which is more likely a full meal for a lesser price.

I would go to Pizzeria Paradiso or someplace similar - pizzas could be split, those who do not mind breaking the per diem could opt for beer or wine while others could stick with sodas. It would b e difficult to have a working meal, however, given it can get loud. Also, what about the new location for Peacock Cafe (Peacock Grand) on K Street?

Ouch on only a $20 Per-Diem to DC [dang, one would think they'd at least match the Federal GSA rates]. The pizza and burger at Hudson is pretty decent for the value downtown. Otherwise, the perpetual $5 HH burger specials at Chef Geoffs? Matchbox? Gordon Biersch?

Well, there's a TGI Fridays at 20th and H, if that helps. :mellow:
Ahem...that's at 21st and H.

How about the Trio/Fox and Hounds, at 17th and Q NW? Not quite as cheap as it used to be (and I haven't been in years, so I can't really comment on the quality of the food currently), but lots of options for under $12. Back in the days when I lived in that neighborhood, I found that picking my way very carefully through their mine-strewn menu, I could eat pretty well for very little money. Don't be tempted to have 1) seafood of any kind, or 2) liver of any kind. Things that do well on a steam table, like pot roast or meat loaf, generally used to be okay. Roast turkey (they roast several whole turkeys every day) was generally a good choice. Hamburgers, club sandwiches, their remarkably good sliced turkey breast sandwich (sliced off an actual turkey), were all decent options. And it is a totally venerable Washington institution.

If it were me, I'd be at Circle Bistro lounge (sometimes the obvious answer is also the best one).

Hmm...the lounge might fit the bill as you have the option of bar food without having to sit at an actual bar. Will call to confirm that they are offering the full menu in the lounge these days as the last two times I tried that, they said no.

Just out of curiosity: what state is this? And, what is the lodging rate?
Florida. And it was increased a little over a year ago when our new ethics rules went into place since we can no longer accept anything from people with business before us and the legislators were going to have to make due with per diem. I travel several times each month and each trip costs me. We don't have a lodging rate but need to do some paperwork for prior approval if the room is more then $200.
Or head to Old Ebbitt Grill or Clyde's in G'Town...food won't totally suck and there will be some "DC character"
We have another working dinner at Old Ebbitt on Sunday so that is covered and we had one at Clyde's when I was in town last month.
if a little distance can be tolerated in furtherance of a Real Urban Experience they'll carry back to Tallahassee, how about getting the group onto the 14th St bus and trekking up to Colorado Kitchen? Twenty bucks goes pretty far there though I think the place only seats 48, don't know what their policy is re groups, only have been as a deuce and a 4 top. Maybe call first.
I think they'd like Colorado Kitchen - Tallahassee is a very southern town and they'd probably get a kick out this city twist on it. I'm not sure I can get my boss on a bus after four hours on planes and the obligatory pass through the Atlanta airport. But I will add this to the list of places for staff to try for the nights we aren't eating together.
Camelot? A beer and a burger plus maybe 3 singles for g-strings. You might be able to get away with that.

If only I hadn't just taken my annual discrimination and harassment seminar! I think this exact example was on our quiz.

Dino has been suggested by several folks and is sitting with Circle Bistro lounge at the top of my list.
We're heading there Monday night. Three of my staff go for beer choices and have been wanting to go since our last trip to DC.

Staff would love it and I've suggested it to them for one of the nights they are on their own but I can't even imagine my boss' response.

Thanks everyone for so many great ideas.

Reporting back --- had a wonderful dinner at Dino tonight. Boss' flight was delayed due to bad weather so had a much more relaxed evening with just staff and was able to treat them without issue. Staff loved the place. I didn't know that one of them had taken a long dreamed of trip to Italy last fall and is fixated on all things Italian. Staff was gracious, food was wonderful and the whole night was a welcome break from this crazy week of meetings.