just have to concur with several already listed- tune inn and millie and al's (oh, how i love the $1 jello shots). . .i liked the common share much better when everything was the same price ($2 or something like that, if i remember). my new favorite is dc9 (although, for "dive," velvet lounge would take the cake), i just love their juke box, and schlitz. plus, i love going there when 930 has some mainstream-type artist there and i start playing sisters of mercy, bauhaus and the beta band just to mess with people waiting.

Dan's Cafe in Adams Morgan gives you a fricken coke can and your plastic cup of whiskey separately. Only if they squeezed liquor from a goatskin bag hanging around the neck of a hirsute and caloricly challenged bar wench with candles abound would it be more of a dive.

Stoneys food scares me. Millie and Al's the creative bathrooms only deter my fun there, sometimes I have to go to the bar next door just to use the restroom, it's quicker too. Chief Ikes on Blues nights gives it a distint roadhouse charm. Dr. Dremo's although not the smallest of bars, has an amazing selection of micro's brews and homemades yet still clinging to that musty, allergy antagonizing feeling of a dive bar.

Someone tell me why are dive bars cool again? Just cuz you're lacking coinage or don't feel like sweating out the Eurotrash bars doesn't mean you have to suffer poor service, unsanitary conditions, sticky seats, bad music and painfully bad drinks.

Someone tell me why are dive bars cool again?  Just cuz you're lacking coinage or don't feel like sweating out the Eurotrash bars doesn't mean you have to suffer poor service, unsanitary conditions, sticky seats, bad music and painfully bad drinks.

Because sometimes you get tired of dealing with the amateurs and want to go hang out with the pros :P

Does anyone have an opinion on best local bartenders?

I SO loved my bar in NY (Ear Inn) a couple of years ago. It helped me to establish loose dive bar criteria:

1) that the bartenders are attentive to everyone in the bar (as Toby Checchini in Cosmopolitan)

2) that the regulars are from all walks of life; the majority of whom are characters over 30 and have done something interesting, whether it be caddy for a pro golfer or show their work in an art exhibit, or something.

3) that the bar owners are willing to flout rules once in awhile (as in, block off the sidewalk, drop a keg down, and set up a band outside without a permit).

4) that the music selection is both nostalgic and forward-- and that it's chosen by the bartenders.

5) that no one goes there for the food.

6) occasional buybacks

After I moved, I felt like, when I went out that at age 32, that suddenly I had aged 15 years, since it feels like many places in DC are so segregated by age (like Stetsons and Local 16 rooftop). Where to go for a great bartender and for a mixed, interesting crowd ?

I’d like to put in a word for Jay’s, my favorite dive bar. It is on North 10th Street in Arlington, about two blocks from the Clarendon Metro. It meets many of the dive bar requirements: greasy spoon food, a pool table, and an eclectic group of clients. And of course, it is rare that anyone drinks anything other than beer. I worry about places like Jay’s which are in the path of progress as is evidenced by many high rises going up in the area. Still, we can enjoy it while it is there.

Just close your eyes and travel back in time to 3 places in NoVa that hark the days of carpeted bar floors, hanging glass racks, and food portions that Fred Flintstone would have a hard time finishing. Are they dive bars? Yes! First stop Pistones at Seven Corners, the former 'devils crossroads' back in the day of early Falls Church lore, and only a late 70's whiff of the Orange Bowl located at the mall.Then travel out to Da Dimenico, out in Tysons, which used to be land that was all cattle farmers, hence JR's stockyard. Dimenico, home of the over-sized Veal Chop and bar regulars over/under 50 years. Then come back to Arlington and home to the original Evans Farm Inn, then the FrankenStein restaurant and then what it is today at a ripe 35 years of age, The Alpine, where the bar regulars are still stunned at the picture box(TV) behind the bar, and can rememeber when sammy baugh was the QB for the Redskins.

Just close your eyes and travel back in time to 3 places in NoVa that hark the days of carpeted bar floors, hanging glass racks, and food portions that Fred Flintstone would have a hard time finishing. Are they dive bars? Yes! First stop Pistones at Seven Corners, the former 'devils crossroads' back in the day of early Falls Church lore, and only a late 70's whiff of the Orange Bowl located at the mall.Then travel out to Da Dimenico, out in Tysons, which used to be land that was all cattle farmers, hence JR's stockyard. Dimenico, home of the over-sized Veal Chop and bar regulars over/under 50 years. Then come back to Arlington and home to the original Evans Farm Inn, then the FrankenStein restaurant and then what it is today at a ripe 35 years of age, The Alpine, where the bar regulars are still stunned at the picture box(TV) behind the bar, and can rememeber when sammy baugh was the QB for the Redskins.

Jeez, mister! You are old, arntcha?

Do lemonheads still cost a penny?!

How is Trusty's? I rode by it a couple of days ago. The location seems to be a bit of a gamble.

It's actually pretty cool. I wouldn't exactly call it a dive, but it's definitely going for that vibe. The aforementioned mason jars, cheap beer on draft (but they keep some good stuff hidden from view :lol: ), interesting decor, a fair amount of locals mixed in with the game crowd.

We've hit it a couple times after Nats games; only about a mile walk from RFK. I don't think the stretch between the stadium and the bar is sketchy at all, but I guess that depends on your frame of reference.

How is Trusty's? I rode by it a couple of days ago. The location seems to be a bit of a gamble.

I heart Trusty's. Cheap beer, decent internet jukebox, a hot bartender on Thursday and Friday nights, and the flat top behind the bar giving the place a pleasant eau-de-cheeseburger. As for the location being a gamble: no. It's cool. There's an occasional crazy homeless person that wanders in, but they are quickly dispatched with.

Of the Englert bars it's becoming my favorite, but that's probably more because of location.

I heart Trusty's. Cheap beer, decent internet jukebox, a hot bartender on Thursday and Friday nights, and the flat top behind the bar giving the place a pleasant eau-de-cheeseburger. As for the location being a gamble: no. It's cool. There's an occasional crazy homeless person that wanders in, but they are quickly dispatched with.

Of the Englert bars it's becoming my favorite, but that's probably more because of location.

Could not have said it better myself, Kanishka :lol:

(Well - Liz IS hot, just not my type)

Edited by Phoebe

I'm not sure Bricks qualifies as a dive - that was the place when I was an undergrad at GW that we went to when we DIDN'T want to go to a dive bar. Which, coincidentally enough, was Mr. Henry's, though it was the 21st and PA NW location, which I think is now the PEPCO building.

Huh. I thought Mr. Henry's was the upscale joint and The Red Lion (or the 21st Amendment) was the dive.

Huh. I thought Mr. Henry's was the upscale joint and The Red Lion (or the 21st Amendment) was the dive.

I wouldn't call either upscale.

The Brick qualifies just on the state of it's bathrooms. I haven't been in a while, but always went upstairs where the DJ was. Better music, less of a contrived pub atmosphere.

Red Lion (usually) and 21st Amendment (always) checked IDs, which Mr. Henry's did not. Which made them slightly less dive-ish, since there weren't a bunch of 18 year olds abusing their livers. Red Lion also had decent beers on tap. Mr. Henry's had Bud, Budder, and Buddest...

Red Lion (usually) and 21st Amendment (always) checked IDs, which Mr. Henry's did not. Which made them slightly less dive-ish, since there weren't a bunch of 18 year olds abusing their livers. Red Lion also had decent beers on tap. Mr. Henry's had Bud, Budder, and Buddest...

You could afford decent beers? Yuppie! :lol:

When I was in school many years ago, the drinking age was still 18 for beer and wine, so the ID thing was no hassle. And Mr. Henry's had folk singers -- if that didn't make it high class, I don't know what does.

On to other dives of the past: anybody remember the Las Vegas Lounge back when it was a strip club? And the Great Jazz Dive, One Step Down (according to on review yellowing on the wall "looks like the kind of place that has a 'smoking' and a 'heavy smoking' section").

And, if you're ever in Seattle, I just had a couple of brews and a non-filtered Camel with a drunk, tootheless retired longshoremen and his 300 pound longshoreman son at a place called the Siren Lounge not far from the docks and the mills. Not just a dive, but a dive where you could very well get your ass kicked for just looking at somebody wrong.

Great Darts setup, though.

You could afford decent beers?  Yuppie! :lol:

When I was in school many years ago, the drinking age was still 18 for beer and wine, so the ID thing was no hassle.  And Mr. Henry's had folk singers -- if that didn't make it high class, I don't know what does.

Oh, I couldn't afford the good stuff - I was always in search of quarter beers. I was just explaining why Red Lion wasn't the dive that Mr. Henry's was - because they actually had Bass on tap!

DC switched to 21 for beer and wine the year before I arrived, so IDs were always a consideration. And there was no live music at Mr. Henry's, other than intoxicated freshmen.

anybody remember the Las Vegas Lounge back when it was a strip club? And the Great Jazz Dive, One Step Down (according to on review yellowing on the wall "looks like the kind of place that has a 'smoking' and a 'heavy smoking' section").

one step down!!! wow, was that a great place to listen to music, and hide in a corner.

For my first post, I had to dish about a DIVE BAR I've just discovered: The Wonderland Ballroom at 11th and Kenyon in Columbia Heights (?). It's gross, smoky, and the bartender is bored with you as soon as you walk in. The jukebox is SLAMMIN and there's a long bar decorated with auto kitch from the last century. There are old car seat benches and a refreshingly mixed crowd. It's hipster meets hood.

The night we went, we saw live music advertised upstairs in an impossibly small space, and they looked to be setting up some sort of outside patio, although its very residential there, so I am wondering how they will pull it off.

Anybody know how long its been there and what the deal is?

Wonderland is actually a new bar in thrift-store clothes -- not that there's anything wrong with that. Its patina of smoke and funk were hard won over many decades as DC's first black gay bar, called Nob Hill (a truly inspired name). The wise decision to leave the skeleton intact is what makes the place seem so welcoming to those of us in the in the dive bar avocation - despite the fact that the place is less then a year old and some punk 30-year-old just punched some band called Soundgarden into the juke.

I need a smoke just thinking about the place...

More, here.

Went by Trusty's after the Nat's game last night and enjoyed the place. They make a tasty burger. At least it seems so when you're having it as a late night snack after a dinner of beer and peanuts.

Word of advice on Nat's games-- don't ever bother sitting in a Skybox at RFK. It's a long walk and elevator ride to get a damn beer, and the only perk is free peanuts and chips. I'm glad we were given free tickets. They ain't worth the $82.50 ticket price by a looooong shot.

Word of advice on Nat's games-- don't ever bother sitting in a Skybox at RFK. It's a long walk and elevator ride to get a damn beer, and the only perk is free peanuts and chips. I'm glad we were given free tickets. They ain't worth the $82.50 ticket price by a looooong shot.

indeed, i only sit in the 500 section. the $10 outfield line ticket is a bargain and a great view of the game.

Stopped by the Quarry House in Silver Spring for the first time. Surly and fun barstaff. French onion soup was actually pretty darn good, wish I had the appetite for a burger, they looked righteous. Only bad thing, rumor was that it had been sold to the folks from Jackie's. While I'm sure they have good intentions, it would be sad to see any of the dive-ness disappear...

Stopped by the Quarry House in Silver Spring for the first time. Surly and fun barstaff. French onion soup was actually pretty darn good, wish I had the appetite for a burger, they looked righteous. Only bad thing, rumor was that it had been sold to the folks from Jackie's. While I'm sure they have good intentions, it would be sad to see any of the dive-ness disappear...

Noooooooooooooooooooooo.....

I need to get back there soon. I miss hitting my head on the bathroom ceiling. :lol:

Did anyone check out the story in the Post's Sunday Source a few weeks ago that reviewed readers' favorite dive bars? click

I've been trying to get around to trying some of them, but time's been a little short with finals coming up.

Anyway, since I'm already down the road at U-Md, I thought I'd try out the S&J mentioned in the story, which is just a stone's throw away in Riverdale off Queensbury.

I spent five years in Baltimore exploring dives, and I think this place is as close as they come to the greatness of some of B-more's dives.

Original oil paintings of Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Dale Earnhardt and the Beatles. Wood paneling. Budweiser-sponsored Nascar schedule wall hanging. $2.50 bottles of beer; $3.50 shots of tequila.

You might have to ask the bartender to wipe off the bar for you, but the place is otherwise tidy and tacky with a back porch that is so close to the train tracks you can feel the ground shake every time the train blows by.

I've gotta get around to try the rest of the ones in the Post story.

Did anyone check out the story in the Post's Sunday Source a few weeks ago that reviewed readers' favorite dive bars?

When I'm in the mood for diviness, I'm a big fan of Toledo, Nanny's, and Stetson's. And Dremo's is one of the few attractions that can get me to leave the city. Do they still have beer pong outside?

Incidentally, at Toledo, the food's actually pretty good. Plus, you can get any of their sandwiches with fries, onion rings, half onion rings and half fries, or a salad. The half and half is the idea of the century, I think. :)

Noooooooooooooooooooooo.....

I need to get back there soon.  I miss hitting my head on the bathroom ceiling.   :)

The bathrooms are not yet renovated at TQH, and the burgers ARE righteous. Stick to the bar food and beer. They are supposed to have live music sometimes, too.

not only my favorite dive, but my favorite bar - hands down - is the townhouse tavern. i also enjoy chief ikes or the raven (early in the week).

pollys is great when it's not super hot outside. i've noticed that in the summer, the space takes on a wierd (not in a good way) odor and there are often gnats flying around. i do have to say that their bloody marys are some of the best i've ever had though.

my opinion about the saloon on U St is that there is nothing divey about $9 belgian beers. i think that it's a great spot - but more along the lines of a local/neighborhood watering hole than a place for cheap drinks and chainsmoking.

i also used to really like mickeys patio on 8th street SE but i heard that they were recently shut down?? they served gallo out of a jug - which may reach beyond the "dive" category and border on trashy - but their burgers were delicious!

The Zoo Bar would be a dive even if they were hosting debutante balls.  If it smells like a dive (thus, St. Ex is no dive)...If you're too worried about the clientel, go in the afternoon, when the clientel is old retired guys lying about their youth.

A friend and I spent a long and memorable Saturday afternoon at the Zoo Bar last February, during the "Blizzard of '06," drinking pitcher after pitcher of Foggy Bottom Ale. Most of the clientele is definitely local, and rather colorful. I've fallen in love with the place and need to work on convincing all of my friends to follow me there more often.

Another new favorite of mine is The Argonaut, which sits in the little triangle where H Street and Maryland Avenue meet. Another Joe Englert project, it straddles the line between "new" and "dive" in much the same way as Wonderland. The nautical-themed decor has simply been tacked onto this well-worn neighborhood establishment. The bartenders are friendly and attentive, and they seem to be attracting a real mix of longtime residents and newcomers.

Chevy Chase Lounge

Its the closest late night place to our neighborhood, has a fairly eclectic clientele ranging from little old ladies drinking a little more than they should, to furtive looking old greek guys to people in tuxes and gowns winding down the evening. We've closed it a couple of times and still managed to stumble home......

I sitck to vodka/tonic while I'm there so can't speak for the beers on tap

Yes, regretably Mickey's Patio closed a couple of years ago and is now a Thai restaurant.

I can't believe no one's mentioned the Post Pub, on L St, across from the Washington Post. It's gotta be one of the darkest places I've ever been in. I hear that now that Stoney's is closed, they've decided to open on Saturday's to try and pick up some of their business.

Also, the Lil' Pub on Penssylvania Ave, SE, next to Remmington's. Not sure how long it's been there, but it is truely a dive in what appears to have been a Little Tavern in a previous life. It's got a pool table in the back and the only beer on tap is Bud. I once saw a patron being taken out of their by two of his friends (one under each arm). It was still daylight outside and and he didn't have any shoes on. They do have a kitchen and advertise lunch specials, but I've never been brave enough to try any.

not only my favorite dive, but my favorite bar - hands down - is the townhouse tavern.  i also enjoy chief ikes or the raven (early in the week). 

pollys is great when it's not super hot outside.  i've noticed that in the summer, the space takes on a wierd (not in a good way) odor and there are often gnats flying around.  i do have to say that their bloody marys are some of the best i've ever had though.

my opinion about the saloon on U St is that there is nothing divey about $9 belgian beers.  i think that it's a great spot - but more along the lines of a local/neighborhood watering hole than a place for cheap drinks and chainsmoking. 

i also used to really like mickeys patio on 8th street SE but i heard that they were recently shut down??  they served gallo out of a jug - which may reach beyond the "dive" category and border on trashy - but their burgers were delicious!

the l'il pub is one of the skeeviest bars that i've ever had the pleasure of getting drunk in.

another "interesting" spot is in a basement on the corner of vermont and L NW. the name is escaping me at the moment. i am not sure if it should be classified as a dive per-se, but it's definitely got a lot of character - in a comfy leather chair, wood paneling, surly waitress kind of a way. they have great open faced reubens too!

another "interesting" spot is in a basement on the corner of vermont and L NW.  the name is escaping me at the moment.  i am not sure if it should be classified as a dive per-se, but it's definitely got a lot of character - in a comfy leather chair, wood paneling, surly waitress kind of a way.  they have great open faced reubens too!

Sounds like Stan's. Especially the surly waitress part.

And Dremo's is one of the few attractions that can get me to leave the city. Do they still have beer pong outside?

They were actually busted for doing this by the state booze patrol. Apparently it is illegal for a bar in VA to sponsor or encourage drinking games. I suspect that the developer trying to get the place razed may have had something to do with the citation ...

I'm too drunk to go back through the thread, but I assume someone has already spoken up for the Tune Inn?

My attorney and I got tuned up at the Tune Inn a while back. We sat at the beginning at the bar and order our bourbons (his retainer is Maker's Mark). After 2 trips down the bar to refresh our libations, the barkeep cheerfully told us that we reeked of honesty and offered us each a bottle of our respective booze to pour at our leisure. And pour we did. We did not take advantage of the gentleman's trust, nor were we bashful, and poured ourselves conservative 3oz drinks, 6 at a time. I woke up the next day with an excruciating attack of the gout and DT. Whilst looking in the mirror I was able to see the inside of my skull through my eyes.

I would glady return as I have no recollection of leaving, but not even Bukowski should get that drunk, much less the night before a Foreign Service written exam.

My attorney and I got tuned up at the Tune Inn a while back.  We sat at the beginning at the bar and order our bourbons (his retainer is Maker's Mark).  After 2 trips down the bar to refresh our libations, the barkeep cheerfully told us that we reeked of honesty and offered us each a bottle of our respective booze to pour at our leisure.  And pour we did.  We did not take advantage of the gentleman's trust, nor were we bashful, and poured ourselves conservative 3oz drinks, 6 at a time. I woke up the next day with an excruciating attack of the gout and DT.  Whilst looking in the mirror I was able to see the inside of my skull through my eyes.

I would glady return as I have no recollection of leaving, but not even Bukowski should get that drunk, much less the night before a Foreign Service written exam.

Fear and Loathing On Pennsylvania Avenue? :)

Anyone remember Giorgio's Pizza on 20th & N? Was a 'secret' meeting spot for my SO and I before we were publicly SOs :) It's closed I've read, and so is the restaurant we met at right down the 'alley'... is that a bad sign? This was a dive of all dives complete with basement location, ahem old-er bartenders and i'm sure I never ordered much more than light beers... maybe a shot of tequilla or GM.

not sure if it's called giorgios, but there is still a pizza place at 20th and N, i believe - right next to what used to be the cozy corner.

It's called Luigi's now--decent checked tablecloth Italian with a pretty darn good pizza for dine in.

ETA: Whoops. Wrong street. Luigi's is on 19th and M. But still good 'za.

As long as this thread got bumped up, I'd like to point out that Pearl Jam chose MY local dive, The Raven, to go drinking Monday night.

That's how cool Mt. Pleasant is. :)

Cooler still: not only did Pearl Jam hang out there, none of the other patrons or the bar staff are sharing any details with the press!

I notced that the Dancing Crab in Tenleytown recently moved next door. Does anyone know if the upstairs bar made the move as well?

They did? You mean into the Caravela/Vida Loca/Brazilian Grill/Dona Flor space? (If so, I wasn't aware that A Caravela had closed.)