As long as this thread got bumped up, I'd like to point out that Pearl Jam chose MY local dive, The Raven, to go drinking Monday night.

That's how cool Mt. Pleasant is. :)

Dude, Pearl Jam is like so 1992.

Did anyone happen to note the dive bar article in the Post a couple of weeks ago? It had all the usual suspects, plus a couple I hadn't heard of. If I get a minute to go digging for it, I will post a link.

Did anyone happen to note the dive bar article in the Post a couple of weeks ago? It had all the usual suspects, plus a couple I hadn't heard of. If I get a minute to go digging for it, I will post a link.

Dude, all the Pear Jams-to-be (God help us) hang in the Raven, too. We just don't know who they are, yet.

Mobile happy hour! Jacques can drive because he's too upscale to drink cheap beer, and he'll get beatun up if he asks for a wine list. :)

Dude, all the Pear Jams-to-be (God help us) hang in the Raven, too. We just don't know who they are, yet.

Mobile happy hour! Jacques can drive because he's too upscale to drink cheap beer, and he'll get beaten up if he asks for a wine list. :angry:

Mobile happy hour! Jacques can drive because he's too upscale to drink cheap beer, and he'll get beatun up if he asks for a wine list. :)

I guess I need to hide that half a case of non-union Coors Light sitting next to my refridgerator then.

Their first album may have come out in '91, but they remain one of the top grossing bands, for both album and concert ticket sales. Their current album, released two weeks ago, is firmly lodged at #1 on the charts.

And it was a great f*cking show.

I saw a review that proposed Eddie Vedder as the Gen X and Y's answer to Jim Morrison - lyrics as poetry and he OWNS the stage. I can't disagree with that, and I'm a huge Doors fan.

Think that one through a little further.

You know, it's funny, but growing up on the East Coast I never thought of The King of Beers as having a local or regional identity, while I always thought of Coors as more "Midwest" than "Colorado" (until Coors went national and ran 60 trillion ads with the Rocky Mountains in the background.)

Schlitz, though national, seemed regional ("the beer than made Milwaukee famous"), whereas Miller, also based in Milwaukee, was just another national Bud alternative.

Ahhhh youth.

Ahhhh, marketing.

They did? You mean into the Caravela/Vida Loca/Brazilian Grill/Dona Flor space? (If so, I wasn't aware that A Caravela had closed.)
I am not 100% sure, but I think the Malt Shop moved with the restaurant. Not sure if is as "dive-y" as it used to be.

You know, it's funny, but growing up on the East Coast I never thought of The King of Beers as having a local or regional identity, while I always thought of Coors as more "Midwest" than "Colorado" (until Coors went national and ran 60 trillion ads with the Rocky Mountains in the background.)

Schlitz, though national, seemed regional ("the beer than made Milwaukee famous"), whereas Miller, also based in Milwaukee, was just another national Bud alternative.

Ahhhh youth.

Ahhhh, marketing.

Actually, the furtherest east you could get Coors until it went nationwide was Kansas. And, hailing from Kansas City, MO, I could buy Coors when I turned 18 just by stepping over the state line (3.2, sold in grocery stores and bars, the stronger stuff in liquors stores an private clubs that you had to be 21 to get into). All of those guys that that I went to college with from St. Louis were all big AB fans (although the long-necked Busch was a favorite at one of my hang-outs in Kansas City).

Actually, the furtherest east you could get Coors until it went nationwide was Kansas. And, hailing from Kansas City, MO, I could buy Coors when I turned 18 just by stepping over the state line (3.2, sold in grocery stores and bars, the stronger stuff in liquors stores an private clubs that you had to be 21 to get into). All of those guys that that I went to college with from St. Louis were all big AB fans (although the long-necked Busch was a favorite at one of my hang-outs in Kansas City).

It must have been more than 20 years ago, but Coors had a certain fame because we could nto get it in the east. When I visited my parents who lived in El Paso, I would buy a case of it to give six packs to various friends. My mother would wrap my carton and it would look strange (24 circles) showing up on the airport X-ray machine.

They did? You mean into the Caravela/Vida Loca/Brazilian Grill/Dona Flor space? (If so, I wasn't aware that A Caravela had closed.)

I'm not sure what the old space was, but it's the little building directly to the left of the old location. I'm surprised those places have been spared from the wrecking ball for this long.

:) -->

QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Jun 2 2006, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QWERTY

Would you add a link to the recent WP article on 10 best jukeboxes in the area? Many are connected to the best dive bars. I wouldn't mind a jukebox crawl (but it would have to be spread out over 4 weeks since I'm such a lightweight).

Jukebox Heroes.

That's actually a pretty good write-up. The Pharmacy Bar and Townhouse Tavern (upstairs) have the best jukeboxes, in my opinion.

I'd have to say I love those places that play all the music everyone knows the words to. Somehow everyone singing obnoxiously to a good ol' tune bonds the entire bar crowds. The only downside to these types of venues, however, can be the weekend college crowds, but hey, sometimes navigating your way through them can be half the fun.

Front Page (Dupont Circle)

Sign of the Whale (19th/M)

Madhatter (19th/M)

Cheers!

:) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Jun 2 2006, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

QWERTY

Would you add a link to the recent WP article on 10 best jukeboxes in the area? Many are connected to the best dive bars. I wouldn't mind a jukebox crawl (but it would have to be spread out over 4 weeks since I'm such a lightweight).

Jukebox Heroes.

That's actually a pretty good write-up. The Pharmacy Bar and Townhouse Tavern (upstairs) have the best jukeboxes, in my opinion.

Thanks, Rog. I've been [shudder] working...

I'm partial to the jukebox at Bedrock myself, where (to bring it back to food) you can bring in any kind of food you like or get anything delivered. They have a folder of menus behind the bar.

As long as this thread got bumped up, I'd like to point out that Pearl Jam chose MY local dive, The Raven, to go drinking Monday night.

That's how cool Mt. Pleasant is. :angry:

When Eddie Vedder said at the concert that he hung out in Mt. Pleasant the night before, I turned to my boyfriend and said, "Must've gone to the Raven." :)

It must have been more than 20 years ago, but Coors had a certain fame because we could nto get it in the east.
Hence the plot (such as it was) of Smokey and the Bandit. :)

The ever-helpful Wikipedia informs me that this was because Coors was/is not pasteurized - and hence was not legal to be shipped where it could not be under constant refrigeration. Apparently these regional limitations continued until the '90s!

Thanks, Rog. I've been [shudder] working...

I'm partial to the jukebox at Bedrock myself, where (to bring it back to food) you can bring in any kind of food you like or get anything delivered. They have a folder of menus behind the bar.

bedrock has been my "cheers" for longer than i care to admit. while i agree with you that the juklebox is pretty decent, it doesn't hold a candle to how cool it was back in the mid-late 90s.

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads]:

Solly's U Street Tavern (ferment everything)

The Red Derby (Meaghan)

Zoo Bar (edwinsux)

The Big Hunt (The Hersch)

Dan's Cafe (u-bet!)

Edited by DonRocks

I'm not sure what the old space was, but it's the little building directly to the left of the old location. I'm surprised those places have been spared from the wrecking ball for this long.

Yes, the Dancing Crab/Malt Shop has moved to the space previously occupied by A Caravela because their rent had been increased. The owner of A Caravela had moved back to Portugal, and since they owned the building, it seemed like the perfect thing to do. I went there earlier this year and it's just not the same. I guess it could work well as the Dancing Crab, but it doesn't have the old Malt Shop divey feel to it.

bedrock has been my "cheers" for longer than i care to admit. while i agree with you that the juklebox is pretty decent, it doesn't hold a candle to how cool it was back in the mid-late 90s.

Come on, Bedrock has an amazing assortment of Belgium and British beers. It also has some cool furniture that I would gladly put in my house. I think that would eliminate it from any definition of a dive bar wouldn't it? :unsure:

Come on, Bedrock has an amazing assortment of Belgium and British beers. It also has some cool furniture that I would gladly put in my house. I think that would eliminate it from any definition of a dive bar wouldn't it? :unsure:
Dremo's also has an amazing assortment of beers... but I wouldn't have furniture from either there or Bedrock in my apartment. Dive bars they remain! ;)

(I do like the Bedrock art, though...)

Dremo's also has an amazing assortment of beers... but I wouldn't have furniture from either there or Bedrock in my apartment. Dive bars they remain! :unsure:

(I do like the Bedrock art, though...)

Alright, Dremo's has comedy night, beer pong(used to), yummy assortment of beers like Chocolate Doughnut, and yes it's rather dirty, and the decor is tacky, but smokey, stickey, dark, alcoholics in the corner, toilet you're afraid to use, one bribe away from being closed for....it's not yet. They also have to serve 40% food in Virginia to be able to serve alcohol too, because that's the law. That takes away from the divey part of it a bit more.

I'm thinking bars like, "The Raven" and "Townhouse Tavern" are more like the classic dive bar, but that's just my opinion.

1 score and 7 days ago I was high-stepping with my over-sized troll pencil as a scepter from Penn Quarter through Convention Center after a presidential impersonator think-storming session at the Top Shelf and the heat was excruciating, even by 8pm. Naturally, I removed my frock coat and chemise, but the persistent humidity and heat conspired to drain barley infused sweat from my Roman brow, which trickled down my somewhat chiseled body; mostly down my bruised gourd-like back and a few drips & drops down my chest which golf savvy lifeguards have described as a collection of chest-hair divots. Anywho, I needed to whet my whistle and upon hearing minstrelsry reminiscent of Big100 pre-re-formatting to “greatest hit of all time” coming from an appropriately patriotically named tavern on New York Ave. called the DC Eagle, I probed the honky-tonk tap-room for a cold elixir.

T’was a bit dark inside and it took considerable time for my eyes to adjust. It seemed surly -if a little macho- and there was a whisper of diveyness what with the squeaky swiveling barstools who’se upholstery was fraying with debutante abandon and a cheerless boudoir which had the rustic assertiveness of a farmer’s wife, but all the stink of the farm and crude suggestive drawings of nude farmers on the stall walls. Seems like the heat index was affecting most of the other customers as well since many were shirtless and sweaty, some wearing little more than the leather versions of vintage corduroy OP shorts, the kind I used to wear in the mid to late 90's, but without the studded vinyl suspenders. My fellow barflies seemed to have an uncanny interest in my “chin curtain” novelty beard and stove pipe hat, and I welcomed their enthusiasm in American presidential history, but didn’t get the beard jokes?Drinks were pretty cheap. A few Malibu & maraschino cherry juice cocktails, amyl nitrates, peach schnapps shots and cocaine shooters cost me under $20, and on top of that were more complimentary appletinis than I could shake a swizzle-stick at. Not much in the way of food though. Music was a bit loud too. In my crapulence, almost shouting to be heard over the skull biting boogie-woogie of Judas Priest, I inquired about peanuts. A few gentleman subsequently flashed me, that is to say, they showed me “their junk”, to use the parlance of our times. which I dismissed as beer flavored shenanigans I made the universal gesture for “coin operated peanut dispensing machine” and met either squelches or explicit gestures towards the aforementioned lavatory. I left shortly before midnight to catch the latest episode of Dog, “the Bounty Hunter” a vigilante/troubadour whom I live through vicariously.

All in all I would say that the barstaff was particularly friendly and generous and many of the patrons exceedingly chummy as well. Didn’t see to many ladies there, especially for a Thursday (college Friday), but then again, took some time for my eyes to adjust and fall semester hadn’t begun yet, and I was implementing a new “hard to get” strategy since the only digits I remember from pro-active coquetry are those atop restraining orders.

Anyone know if the "new" Stoney's is open yet over on P Street?

This brings up an interesting philosophical question. Will the new Stoney's in fact be a "real dive" or, as the guy on the Simpson's put it, a "faux dive?"

Will it smell funny? Will the cops be there? The hookers? Will it be cheap? How will it appear without the patina that only decades of cigarette smoke can bring to a joint? Is it possible to locate a dive bar across the street from a Whole Foods? What percentage of the patrons will be "well scrubbed" and what percentage of will be lonely pensioners nursing a beer and lying about old times?

This brings up an interesting philosophical question. Will the new Stoney's in fact be a "real dive" or, as the guy on the Simpson's put it, a "faux dive?"

Will it smell funny? Will the cops be there? The hookers? Will it be cheap? How will it appear without the patina that only decades of cigarette smoke can bring to a joint? Is it possible to locate a dive bar across the street from a Whole Foods? What percentage of the patrons will be "well scrubbed" and what percentage of will be lonely pensioners nursing a beer and lying about old times?

Right. I'd add, will I still get to make my own drinks at 2 am? Can I still lay on the bar and shoot the soda hose directly into my mouth? Will the staff still exude vaguely (overly?) anti-social tendencies? I want to find out the answers to all of these questions tonight, if it's open!

Just wanted to throw in a (shameless) plug. John Solomon, ex-manager of the Dominion brewpub and a mate of mine, has opened a pretty divey new joint at the SW corder of 11th and U. Solly's U Street Tavern has an upstairs and downstairs bar, no upscale booze to speak of, and the kitchen has a flat-top, a fryer, and a sandwich station. They will be serving homemade New Zealand meat pies, that is, when the kitchen stops being a storage area for the finishing touches. Definite dive possibilities here, and it's a block from Ooohs and Aaahs.

Just wanted to throw in a (shameless) plug. John Solomon, ex-manager of the Dominion brewpub and a mate of mine, has opened a pretty divey new joint at the SW corder of 11th and U. Solly's U Street Tavern has an upstairs and downstairs bar, no upscale booze to speak of, and the kitchen has a flat-top, a fryer, and a sandwich station. They will be serving homemade New Zealand meat pies, that is, when the kitchen stops being a storage area for the finishing touches. Definite dive possibilities here, and it's a block from Ooohs and Aaahs.

While it wouldn't exactly fit in with the "dive" theme, is there any chance they will have Dominion brews on tap? I'm not sure if it has something to do with the ridiculous anti-Virginia sentiment around town or what, but I find it unusual that these decent-quality, locally-brewed beers are not exactly easy to find on tap inside the District.

They don't have taps now, and it's not clear when they'll have them, because the space is so old and so small that there's no place to store next-up kegs. Last night the beer selection was Miller Lite, Bud, Corona, Yuengling, and Pabst. They do have eight nice TVs and plan to show NFL games (and Saturday morning Premiership games at some point), but they are also planning to be open until mandated closing time.

I can't really answer this, but I've seen the new menu. I wish I had a great memory, but, alas, no...The menu items they have in common with Tunnicliffs are approximately $2 or so cheaper at the new Stoney's. The only price I remember (I think I've got it right) is that the super grilled cheese will be $7. (Tom S., take note :) ). I did see a chicken sandwich with brie that seemed like it might be out of place in a dive, but the menu generally seems like a blue collar version of the Tunnicliffs menu (and that menu had been adjusted to incorporate Stoney's dishes previously). The back of the menu lists the pizzas.

The staff I know of who are going to be going there are great, including at least one holdover from the old Stoney's, Robin (a wonderful guy--long hair in a ponytail. He says people recognize him on the street as the ponytail guy from Stoney's.)

In addition to the credit cards they will be accepting (as per Tom's chat), a couple of servers will have handheld computers, in addition to the POS system. I don't know if this makes it less divelike or just more 21st century. The ETO seems to be about the last full week of October.

According to a post on the Cleveland Park listserv, there is a rumor going around that Nanny O'Brien's will be closing down in a couple of weeks. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Shit, my father in law won't have a reason to visit anymore. I'm sure that's an overexaggeration, but he loves that place. Divey Irish pubs are pretty rare.

Do you give writing lessons? Great post.

an appropriately patriotically named tavern on New York Ave. called the DC Eagle,

And some great one-liners:

I left shortly before midnight to catch the latest episode of Dog, “the Bounty Hunter” a vigilante/troubadour whom I live through vicariously.
I was implementing a new “hard to get” strategy since the only digits I remember from pro-active coquetry are those atop restraining orders.

Shit, my father in law won't have a reason to visit anymore. I'm sure that's an overexaggeration, but he loves that place. Divey Irish pubs are pretty rare.

I ran into a neighbor of mine who is an Irish fiddler who had a regular gig at Nanny's. He told me something about legal problems, back taxes, whatever. He now plays Sundays at McGinty's. As for Nanny's, I really never got too much into the place with the 4 Ps being across the street.

I notced that the Dancing Crab in Tenleytown recently moved next door. Does anyone know if the upstairs bar made the move as well?

Went to the Dancing Crab a few nights ago and was very pleasantly surprised. At around 5:30 there was a crowd of around 20 people who all seemed in high spirits and to at least loosely know each other. The bartender was exceptionally friendly and quick to pour some relatively cheap drinks. I will definately be back. Does anyone know how crowded it gets on weekend nights?

It's now called Four Green Fields. Not sure what brought about the change. Like Heather, I never liked the place. I found it to be cheesy, and yeah, the singalongs drove me nuts.

The two 4P's split (the other is in Falls Church). Although the original was in Cleveland Park, the Falls Church branch retained the name.

According to the going out gurus on the Washington Post.com website, Nanny O'Brien's is open for now.

Here's the latest update from owner Brian Gaffney: "As of now, we're open and we will be open," he told me yesterday. "There are some things going down, but I can't really comment on it because I don't know what's going to happen right now."

Doesn't sound great, but it's something.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/