Beans

I’m looking for fresh beans, such as cranberry, lima or some variety of black-eyed or cow peas. Has anyone spotted beans at any of the local farmer's markets? A couple of years ago, one vendor at the Dupont market sold cranberry beans, but I haven’t been able to find any since.

Thanks for your help!

I’m looking for fresh beans, such as cranberry, lima or some variety of black-eyed or cow peas. Has anyone spotted beans at any of the local farmer's markets? A couple of years ago, one vendor at the Dupont market sold cranberry beans, but I haven’t been able to find any since.

Thanks for your help!

You'll have to wait until somewhat later in the season for shell beans--at Arlington and Dupont markets you'll also find some limas, but again, they have a longer growing season than green beans, so it's too early for them. It doesn't seem right somehow, does it, since favas are very early. Check out at Super Fresh in Fairfax--they often have some variety of shell beans for sale.

You'll have to wait until somewhat later in the season for shell beans--at Arlington and Dupont markets you'll also find some limas, but again, they have a longer growing season than green beans, so it's too early for them. It doesn't seem right somehow, does it, since favas are very early. Check out at Super Fresh in Fairfax--they often have some variety of shell beans for sale.

No more Super Fresh in Fairfax! Nearest one is in Washington, then Maryland. Dunno where they went.

I don't know where to buy fresh shell beans -- the ones in my garden are tiny, few and far between, but I am picking green beans.

Was in the neighborhood yesterday morning and stopped at the Dupont Market. Very crowded at 10am. Picked up a few items. Highlights were the garlic from the very nice garlic ladies and Yo Fresh with honey from Blue Ridge Dairy.

Our first trip to the Dupont Market, and was just thrilled by the garlic ladies (Solitude). Most impressed by the quality of the garlic but also by the fact that they have individually stamped bags for each variety. Bought two or three heads of each variety.

They say they won't be back until next year but probably will be at the Garlic Festival.

Virginia Wine and Garlic Festival 2006

One thing they pointed out, which I hadn't thought of, is that their garlic is already acclimated to Virginia weather so I should plant some of theirs. They even have Creole!

Oops. My bad! I meant Super H. On Lee Highway. :)

OK. I did not see any shell beans when I foraged there last week, nor at Han Au Reum in Merrifield, nor Great Wall in Merrifield, nor at the Annandale or Burke farmer's markets.

So I agree it's probably just too early yet.

Thanks for your help!

New Morning Farm at 36th and Alton had cranberry and another unidentified variety of bean on Saturday.

New Morning Farm at 36th and Alton had cranberry and another unidentified variety of bean on Saturday.
I am eating yummy butter beans (lima if you are from the North) right now from a farmer at the Courthouse market... He has peas in the spring, butter beans in late summer.