On 9/18/2018 at 11:06 AM, bookluvingbabe said:

We have indulged in PNC Club seats twice this season when Scherzer was pitching.  He is the pride and joy of BL-6th grader's fantasy baseball team.  The first time, in early August, was perfect.  Great seats, and not terrible pricing if I wait to the last minute and don't bring Mr. BLB. 

But the second time, on Labor Day, was less than stellar.  Tables cleared of plates of food while we were still eating. One plate removed while I was chewing.  It was miserably hot and they could not keep up with ice and cold water.  The brunch offerings weren't as good as the dinner offerings. 

It was nice to have an a/c place to cool off though.  But next game we will be back in the 400s....

I do like hearing of other kids with fantasy baseball teams!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

Mr. BLB and I met in our fantasy baseball league.  We've been taking BL-6th grader to the auction since he was 8 and he's had a team since he was 9.  We're total baseball nerds.

Nice! I am the parent of a baseball nerd (now a freshman in college) who's been co-commissioner of his fantasy baseball and football teams for a few years.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

Mr. BLB and I met in our fantasy baseball league.  We've been taking BL-6th grader to the auction since he was 8 and he's had a team since he was 9.  We're total baseball nerds.

Sigh...I miss the thrill of in-person fantasy baseball auctions.  For several years on a Saturday in March, some law school classmates and I would meet up in NYC for ours.  The trash talking and bidding up other people's favorite players was so enjoyable.  But then everyone started getting married, having kids, etc. and the league died.  I've played fantasy baseball since 1992 and been in online leagues with the same folks from around the world who I still haven't met IRL for 25+ years now.  Things have really changed from the days of scoring by hand after waiting for our copy of USA Today's Baseball Weekly to arrive at the front door.  Now I spend just as much time on daily fantasy, which requires a whole different skill set from season-long and is just as fun if not more.  In some ways, DFS has made me much better at season-long (and, in other ways, worse).

12 hours ago, DaveO said:

This news piece and the in depth article to which it is linked might get you to think twice about the food at Nats Park let alone  any stadium venue in the US or Canada.  A similar article was published a bit ago in Sports Illustrated.

Wow, just wow. The in depth article was tough to read. With Valerie Camillo heading to Philadelphia, I hope the Nationals organization understands the level of commitment necessary to keep the Park "experience" of value and staffs accordingly. Having someone else represent in her stead at Winterfest was an inkling change was afoot. Valerie is trading her old job as the Nationals' Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer to become Comcast Spectacor's new President of Business Operations and will oversee the Flyers and Wells Fargo Center. 

Although this isn't exactly food related - it might affect your food carrying plans. Most of us were braced for the Nationals to follow the football and soccer stadiums' example and ban all bags except transparent, plastic ones. This season may be the half-step in that direction with backpacks being banned (exceptions with permission: diaper bags & ADA/medical equipment). Announcement here / Detailed policy here

NatsNoBackpacks.jpg

• Thanks 1

For deli - Toojay’s. I’m sure some will say it’s now too chainy, but crispy latkes with sour cream and sugar (applesauce is gross) and a proper Egg Cream can be hard to find in the DMV.  I acknowledge my opinion on applesauce may be controversial, but I dont care!!!!

On 3/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, JBag57 said:

Last-minute Hail Mary here, but does anyone have any recs for West Palm Beach, near Ball Park of the Palm Beaches?  Casual preferred.

Assuming I'm grading on a curve for that area, I thought that City Cellar Wine and Bar was pretty good.  I at least thought to myself, "This is better than it should be", for whatever that's worth.  But I was also happy to see a Mellow Mushroom nearby, so I guess that gives a sense of the area.

Although the Ball Park of the Palm Beaches is really nice, I prefer going up to away games at the Roger Dean stadium in Jupiter because it's an excuse to stop at Civil Society Brewery, which is brewing some great beer (without using a curve).  It's right near Aaron's Table and Wine Bar which had the best dinner of my last spring training trip (last year).

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, stevem said:

For deli - Toojay’s. I’m sure some will say it’s now too chainy, but crispy latkes with sour cream and sugar (applesauce is gross) and a proper Egg Cream can be hard to find in the DMV.  I acknowledge my opinion on applesauce may be controversial, but I dont care!!!!

Huh. My grandfather, a first generation German American, taught me how to make potato pancakes. And he is the only person I have ever known besides me, and he taught me, to put sugar and sour cream on potato pancakes. Although, I like applesauce as a side.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Anything worth purchasing this year other than La Casita? Anyone been to the Chiko or Hank's stands?

I've been a couple times.... Found the Mambo Chicken Sandwich as my new go to.  Can't recall which stand has it but its your typical fried chicken sandwich covered in Mambo Sauce and pickles.  Tried the spring rolls from Chiko, wasn't a big fan..

My husband got a bulgogi hoagie from ChiKo at a game last month. I had a little of it and thought it was pretty good. He liked it less than I did.

I'm really annoyed at the increase in concession stands not taking cash this year. I usually sit near the left field corner, and all of those stands on the concourse there are card only, except for Dippin' Dots, which I don't buy.

1 hour ago, Marty L. said:

Anything worth purchasing this year other than La Casita? Anyone been to the Chiko or Hank's stands?

I got an order of the Chiko tater tots last night.  They were pretty good for stadium food, but there's no getting past that it was a $12 box of tots.  I could have sworn the menu said something about a spicy mayo as the topping, but mine came with some sort of hoisin-based sauce with no observable mayo component .  Tossed with furikake as well.  I'll stick to nachos the next time I forget to bring a sandwich with me (although the bulgogi hoagie was tempting).

4 minutes ago, TedE said:

I got an order of the Chiko tater tots last night.  They were pretty good for stadium food, but there's no getting past that it was a $12 box of tots.  I could have sworn the menu said something about a spicy mayo as the topping, but mine came with some sort of hoisin-based sauce with no observable mayo component .  Tossed with furikake as well.  I'll stick to nachos the next time I forget to bring a sandwich with me (although the bulgogi hoagie was tempting).

If memory serves, the tater tots are a *$3* add-on at the Dupont Circle location.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Marty L. said:

If memory serves, the tater tots are a *$3* add-on at the Dupont Circle location.

Should have gone to La Casita last night. Had a serviceable half smoke from Ben's instead. I do love the fact that apple pay has become so prevalent at the stadium -  I think concession lines are noticeably faster.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, Pat said:

I'm really annoyed at the increase in concession stands not taking cash this year. I usually sit near the left field corner, and all of those stands on the concourse there are card only, except for Dippin' Dots, which I don't buy.

Email the Nats and let them know. I don't use credit for entertainment if possible, and have handled it by purchasing FAR less at the park this year, and last year when it began. Perhaps that explains the faster lines - surely we aren't the only ones.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, Genevieve said:

Has anyone had the bao or pupusas at a game? Any other new things you've tried?

I had the papusas last Saturday, with a friend. We got one order of chicken, and one of pork and shared. They were tasty, although pricey for what they were. $9 for 2, with the little thing of cabbage salad. We would have them again.

They were good enough that I am going to try their tamales (Oh, how I love tamales) next time.

We've also been stopping on the way in at the Rocklands pop up outside the park. Very good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cuisine soignee said:

Going tonight w HS baseball player son. Seats are Section 108. What are the recommended options for food and both adult and young-adult bevs. Thanks!

I'm still in the pupusa/tamale camp.  One order of each is a *lot* of (good) food, and a much better deal than virtually anything else in the park.

• Like 2

World Series Game One:  The space where the Kosher stand is usually located is occupied by La Casita tonight (Friday) and probably tomorrow night too. There are some new lobster roll stands, but the lines aren’t appealing. The Family Picnic Area is now filled with temporary work bleachers and cordoned-off as an Auxiliary Press Box.

44DA5A6A-897A-4120-A53C-519A7FCDEA53.jpeg

20 hours ago, Lydia R said:

World Series Game One:  The space where the Kosher stand is usually located is occupied by La Casita tonight (Friday) and probably tomorrow night too. There are some new lobster roll stands, but the lines aren’t appealing. The Family Picnic Area is now filled with temporary work bleachers and cordoned-off as an Auxiliary Press Box.

44DA5A6A-897A-4120-A53C-519A7FCDEA53.jpeg

I'm curious about the WS pricing. More? Same? Cheers. 

The best beer I've had at Nationals Park is the Redbridge at Gluten-Free Grill - It's $9 for a 12-ounce bottle (poured into a plastic cup), is rice- or sorghum-based, has 120 calories per beer, and tastes something like a Belgian sour (not as sour as a Gueuze, but in that general direction). I think this is owned by Anheuser-Busch, but given how bad the alternatives are, this is like Amrit.

• Like 2

My husband got the Benny (ie?) at Grazie Grazie last night. Thanks to whomever it was that pointed out they were at the Caviar spot. I got pulled pork nachos at Old Hickory near our seats in 402, and they were surprisingly good.

I've also gotten the pork pupusas and enchiladas at La Casita, postseason but pre-WS. Mostly we've been eating outside the park.

Kind of sad we've had the last 2019 home game, but the season's not over quite yet 😁.  And maybe by Christmas I'll have gotten my sleep schedule straightened out

• Like 1

One of my favorite weekday early afternoon game lunches involves leaving Navy Yard Metro at Half Street and walking clockwise past restaurant row on First before entering Nationals Park.

Sitting in my seat well before first pitch with sunshine, a bowl from Rasa, and a beer from District Drafts is heaven (don’t forget the garlic naan). Why wax nostalgic when Major League Baseball is in limbo because of the Covid-19 pandemic? Please consider buying a gift card now and using it during the baseball season or whenever your tastebuds would benefit from a thrill. The link embedded in their tweet is:   bit.ly/2WsVr6p 

9B9A9B1C-1346-4150-86AD-6D74CADAAE5D.jpegNa

Just to let everyone know, unsold food at Nationals Park is donated to Nourish Now (nourishnow.org) following any event there. It is then distributed to families in need in the District as well as Montgomery and Prince George's counties. I am on the board of directors for this organization and would be happy to meet with anyone interested in furthering our cause to prevent food insecurity. In the meantime, stay safe and you and your family be well.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s only been since last week for Nationals Park to be back at full capacity and mask-free for fully vaccinated fans. A spot of sunshine tonight is having Chef Jose Andres throw out the ceremonial first pitch. This is a return gig - his first outing was for the 5th Game of the World Series in 2019. To commemorate the event, a $ 50 bobblehead is available for pre-order. I didn’t get the Dr. Fauci bobble and will probably pass on this one too. 

BDE6C2D7-0D07-47A3-8643-618AE5B794C7.jpeg
https://www.foco.com/products/jose-andres-washington-nationals-first-pitch-bobblehead

Edit to add: He seemed to have a good time!

6546DD10-E742-4334-9D72-C0B71A4695DB.jpeg

I was at that game!  
One of my friends had a quarter season tickets and managed to score 2 seats for this game. They were standing room only, and we arrived two or three(?) hours before they opened the gates to make sure we got a good spot.  Tragically, the Nats lost their final home but it ended up being one of my best nights in the park.  We got to boo Donald J Treason, straight to his orange face, and chant “Lock Him Up!“

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bart said:

I was at that game!  
One of my friends had a quarter season ticket

Us too. We also have quarter season tickets. The baseball obsessed one that I live with always buys the full postseason package, figuring we can always sell what we don't need. (He was right about that!)

We went to every game of that post season, although our other 2 ticket-pod folks only went to some. What a run that was!

• Like 1

At the game on Sunday, back in our own seats. Our other 2 did not go, so we filled one seat with another friend, and had one empty seat.

Had the semi-usual "Excuse me, you are in our seats." "No, these are ours." "No, this is 308." "Oh, sorry. Which way is 309?" exchange with folks when we arrived. Dudes, we have had these seats for 10+ years. We know where we sit. Beer - stella. Plain, fine. Dogs. I like them less every time. This time they were hot though! Still, total salt bombs, and NO ONIONS yet again.  Brought in water. Next time, I will go back to bringing in food. 

Luckily, I was able to bring in my bag with seat cushions and water. That will fit some snacks too. Glad they have backed off on the "tiny bags only" policy. Now, can we get the backpack ban repealed? And perhaps accept cash again?

At the park again last night, and once again, not organized enough to bring food. I did manage water though, and seat cushions.

But I was not eating Nats dogs again. They are just not nice, I have now had stomach issues twice this year after eating them and there are STILL no onions.

So we had papusas. He had cheese and chicken, I had bean and cheese. And they were quite good. The papusa stand has moved, and is now on the first level behind first base. So a quick trip upstairs to our seats, and the food was still warm when we sat down. Our usher Benny was there last night, and all is right in section 308.

Here’s Eater’s 2022 version of what’s to eat/drink at Nats Park.  As much as I’ll miss Max Scherzer, the loss of Max’s Kosher stings too. We won’t be able to access the new Duke’s Grocery location without Club-level tickets. 

The bag policy has also changed (more restrictions). Here’s part of the guidance - there’s more than just this screenshot.

CF841DFF-FEF6-45A6-9E8C-B293E28E4877.jpeg

• Like 2

In a game that had little to nothing to cheer about for Nats fans outside of a moonshot Soto home run and an amazing relay to nail Pete Alonso at home, the Nashville Hot fried chicken sandwich from Roaming Rooster was a standout. The new system they have is an utter and absolute shitshow - you can jump in the regular line, or you scan a QR code and preorder but then just stand in another line where you show the number to the person working and they grab your order. Was not in any way faster than just being in the normal line, and seemed incredibly inefficient, almost prohibitively so.

All that said, that was one of the best sandwiches I've had, in a ballpark or outside of one, in a long time. Was one of the busiest stands in the park last night, so everything was coming out hot and fresh, and the chicken was crunchy and juicy and spicy and really well-built. Will be making a return visit at tonight's game to see if that sandwich was a lucky break or the norm, and to see if the clusterf*ck of a system has been at all addressed overnight.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lhollers said:

The new system they have is an utter and absolute shitshow -

Every time they try to make it better, they just make it worse. And they still won't take cash. I wonder if the Devil's Backbone stand is e-cash enabled yet? Wasn't last year.

We were supposed to be there last night, but decided that since we are going Sunday, we would skip dealing with the nasty weather. I think it was the right choice.

I am unhappy with the new bag policies. I am unhappy with the new food/cash policies. I am unhappy with the the universal DH. I think MLB is trying to drive away the fans to develop a new, younger fan base. 

On the up side, I understand they will have South Mountain ice cream! But I don't know where the stand will be. Probably not in the 300s, where we sit.

• Like 2

In response to saf's post: ""On the up side, I understand they will have South Mountain ice cream! But I don't know where the stand will be. Probably not in the 300s, where we sit.""

The by the scoop Breyers ice cream is out and prepackaged 8-oz containers of South Mountain is in throughout the Park. So far just Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry. The Dugout flavor on the menu board is is actually gelato and served from the Dolci Gelati cart. The super friendly staff said there were rumors of another flavor being added in the future, maybe Cookie Dough.

46FB6AE8-0DD4-4184-AF04-36F687042D12.jpeg

3D4CDA10-3AA6-4993-AC59-8FB9234B5985.jpeg