This is a definite worry. If InBev is specifically in control of the Red Porch, I think the variety on the taps (and the Friday firkins) is under threat.

Well, it was technically MillerCoors previously, unless this new InBev branding agreement is wider in scope as it pertains to the taps throughout the ballpark.  I guess we'll find out which multi-national conglomerate is more evil on Opening Day!

It should be noted that InBev's Goose Island still has a quasi-independent arm of their operations producing barrel series, etc., but hopes that any of them make an appearance at the ballpark are slim.  I'm sure we'll just see their Sam Adams clones.

I hear the Red Porch is gone and it is being changed to the Budweiser Brew House.  Whether it will exclusively have Budweiser-branded beer is another question.  

Ugh, I glossed over that.  Yeah, it's going to be InBev exclusively.  There were some really great local options at the Red Porch; more critical now that they don't nix the District Drafts stands.

I hear the Red Porch is gone and it is being changed to the Budweiser Brew House.  Whether it will exclusively have Budweiser-branded beer is another question.

Not even commenting on the possible change in beer available, this name change sucks.

Not even commenting on the possible change in beer available, this name change sucks.

I agree. They didn't need to change the name.  I daresay it will be obvious who is running it without an advertisement in the name of the place.

I hear the Red Porch is gone and it is being changed to the Budweiser Brew House. Whether it will exclusively have Budweiser-branded beer is another question.

You know, people keep telling me about the existence of Budweiser beer but all I've ever found is their bottled water.

• Like 2

Is there a chance they will upgrade the horrible food options?

All over the Park or just in the Red Porch/Brewhouse?

After the Terrance social media storm last fall, there won't be much insider news trickling out about changes. 

Official news is so scarce, Rebecca Cooper's article in the Washington Business Journal quotes Twitter posts and Atlas' Justin Cox optimistic thoughts about his offerings. Unfortunately, his 1500 brew was not offered at District Drafts, but at a few of the food stands. 

Let the front office know if you want to keep craft offerings available in whatever the Red Porch is called - contact the Nationals via their FB page or "contact us" tab on their Nationals.com website. Please don't let a memory of this May 2013 offering fade into mass market sameness.

I guess we'll find out which multi-national conglomerate is more evil on Opening Day!

Their evil will be cloaked because their Trojan Clydesdales will be in attendance on Opening Day!

028.jpg

• Like 1

From Scott Allen in yesterday's WaPo Sports Blog:

"Anheuser-Busch will be our promotional partner in the park for 2016 and beyond," said Camillo, who explained that the new partnership "” a switch from MillerCoors, the team's primary beer partner since 2005 "” is exclusive from a marketing perspective. In other words, Anheuser-Busch is the only beer company permitted to advertise in Nationals Park, but beers from outside the Anheuser-Busch InBev portfolio will continue to be sold. Yes, that includes the rotating selection of craft beers at Nationals Park's four District Drafts stands. They'll be back this season.

"There will be craft beer," Camillo said. "It's not going to have an impact on our ability to serve craft beer or local beers."

Another thing that won't change at Nationals Park in 2016: beer prices. (The cheapest beer per ounce at Nationals Park was around the MLB average last season.)

Levy Restaurants handles the pour rights for the Nationals and is responsible for determining the allocation of beer at Nationals Park. A Levy Restaurants spokesman said that the beer list for 2016 is still being finalized, but confirmed that MillerCoors products will continue to be sold at Nationals Park.

OK, let's play ball!

From Scott Allen in yesterday's WaPo Sports Blog:

OK, let's play ball!

Too bad the link to the Clydesdales on Capitol Hill in my previous post is broken:

http://anheuser-busch.com/includes/images/lb-clydesdales/images/028.jpg

I think the only thing not specifically covered in Allen's summary of changes is what's going to happen to the beer offerings inside the Red Porch (now Budweiser Brewhouse). Red Porch has/had about a dozen independent craft offerings (Flying Dog, Heavy Seas, Dogfish, many others) -- I'd be amazed if those stay inside a "Budwesier Brewhouse" -- some Goose Island taps at best.

I think the only thing not specifically covered in Allen's summary of changes is what's going to happen to the beer offerings inside the Red Porch (now Budweiser Brewhouse). Red Porch has/had about a dozen independent craft offerings (Flying Dog, Heavy Seas, Dogfish, many others) -- I'd be amazed if those stay inside a "Budwesier Brewhouse" -- some Goose Island taps at best.

Maybe Starr Hill?  Aren't they owned by them now? (Nevermind looks like that ended a few years ago.)

And the almost certain death of Firkin Fridays

More Mike Isabella:

Kapnos at the Park is the latest variation of Isabella's Greek restaurant, which also includes spinoffs Kapnos Tavern in Arlington and Kapnos Kouzina in Bethesda. This Kapnos will center around Greek gyros stuffed with marinated lamb, falafel, fried chicken, or chili-roasted steak. Sides will include hummus, tzatziki, and fried potatoes with aleppo pepper and "Greek island sauce." A watermelon lemonade cocktail will be available on draft.

The second ballpark venture is something new for the chef and restaurateur: a Southern-style fried chicken and St. Louis-style ribs joint called Catchfly Kitchen. Named after a flower found in the South (and the obvious baseball reference), Catchfly will also serve popcorn chicken, fried pickles, and banana pudding and pour draft mint juleps.

They'll be side-by-side by section 301

One of the local microbrewers (nanobrewer, really) being added to Nats Park is Old Ox, which was founded and is run by an ex-colleague of mine.

Sorry to say this, but the inclusion of Old Ox in the District Drafts rotation is a downgrade.

Today is the 2016 home opener for the Washington Nationals. Rain is falling and a delay or postponement is distinctly possible. The two exposition games last Friday and Saturday gave fans a first look at the food and beverage changes briefed at February's Hot Stove event.

I'll let Bill DeBaun, DC Beer, lead-off with his thoughts on the change-up from Miller/Coors to Budweiser/InBev (ABI).

Given the above, it might surprise you to hear that you can actually take in a baseball game without losing yourself in the politics of beer. The Nats will hopefully play more than 81 games in their home confines this year on their way to the postseason success that has eluded them in their first decade. Regardless of who has branded the terrace...restaurant...loft...staircase...emergency exit...happy hour...and so forth, it's encouraging that even with a new sheriff in town the option for consumers to choose local, craft beer remains intact.

I was pleasantly surprised to see familiar faces and taps at District Drafts. There were similar offerings at their stands at sections 117 and 139.

post-226-0-34738700-1460040477_thumb.jpgpost-226-0-77040600-1460040490_thumb.jpg

Similar independents were on the far end of the Red Porch's tap line. The Three Stars (peppercorn saison), Atlas (Rowdy Rye), Flying Dog (blood orange ale), and Port City were also available at the various District Draft stands. The Elysian (pineapple habanero sour) is probably an acquired taste. The remaining taps were ABI: Goose Island (goose ipa, 312 wheat), Shock Top (lemon shandy & Belgian white), Stella Artois (beer & cidre), Blue Point (toasted lager), Elysian, Bud, and Bud Light.

post-226-0-57259900-1460040640_thumb.jpg

Sadly, the in-stand vendors had 100% compliant ABI offerings (Bud, Bud Light, Stella, Stella Cidre, Shock Top, etc.). I'll miss the Heineken and Flying Dog. Maybe their offerings will evolve during the season. The exclusively Nationals Atlas 1500 draft  was missing from last season's tap at G-sandwiches, maybe its tap is somewhere else.

The Haute Dogs stand is near section 106's The Fan booth (not serving funnel cakes, yet) and in the old Hard Times location. Their menu leads with hot dog concoctions, but the lamb sliders and tots will be the first things I order:

post-226-0-98941100-1460040681_thumb.jpgpost-226-0-30322500-1460040697_thumb.jpg

If you have a spare hour, maybe during a rain delay, I recommend listening to NPR Latino USA's podcast with host Maria Hinojosa and producer Michael Simon Johnson detailing "the past, present and future of baseball. From how Latino players bent the rules of the color line to why Dominican fans started showing up at Boston's notoriously white Fenway Park." (I'll miss you Big Papi)

• Like 3

Sorry to say this, but the inclusion of Old Ox in the District Drafts rotation is a downgrade.

Would love to see the reasoning behind this post, especially as it followed a post from someone with a connection to the brewery.

Sadly, the in-stand vendors had 100% compliant ABI offerings (Bud, Bud Light, Stella, Stella Cidre, Shock Top, etc.). I'll miss the Heineken and Flying Dog. 

We found at least one roaming vendor in the 300s who had Flying Dog cans, so they are still out there somewhere.

Sadly, I'm going to agree with the comment on Old Ox; I think there are better local offerings.  They seem to have knocked 3 Stars from the District Drafts stand outside 309.  Breweries rotated somewhat in years past, so maybe they'll be back at some point.

Would love to see the reasoning behind this post, especially as it followed a post from someone with a connection to the brewery.

Just FYI - I've only ever tried two of Old Ox's beers, which were good but not spectacular. I just happen to know the guy who started it, which I threw out because I thought it's kinda cool that my friend has a tap at Nats Park.  :)

Sadly, the in-stand vendors had 100% compliant ABI offerings (Bud, Bud Light, Stella, Stella Cidre, Shock Top, etc.). I'll miss the Heineken and Flying Dog. Maybe their offerings will evolve during the season. 

We found at least one roaming vendor in the 300s who had Flying Dog cans, so they are still out there somewhere.

Yesterday, in-stand vendors in the lower bowl had orange/peach cans of Flying Dog Snake Dog (7.1 ABV) too. But, for me, it was a Port City Porter kind of day (it won't be in July).

The 14-minute condensed game video pretty much skips over the 85-minute rain delay between the top & bottom of the second inning. Oh, and Bryce hit his 99th MLB homer in the 7th.

Are we going to have fully-equipped St. Bernards in the stands tomorrow?  I'm really regretting these tickets.  Rain, snow, and 50+ mph winds.  Oh, yeah.  I'm so down with this...